As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What the fuck North Korea?

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    I read an interesting article on Ethiopia years ago that proposed that international aid was perpetuating starvation by easing immediate concerns to the point that it creates an increase in birth rates without providing the infrastructure to support the resulting population.

In short, I'm with Monroe.

This is pretty much it. All of the aid we are sending to Africa is only prolonging the problem since we are doing jack shit to put in place infrastructure for functioning countries. I mean there are other concerns that are preventing that from happening anyway ie: warlords.

Exactly.

We'll reduce the population to levels sustainable with current infrastructure, then pull out all aid so that the birth rate remains more in line with the country's ability to sustain growth.

Er. I was agreeing with the assessment of the problem, not the solution. Although I'm pretty sure we are all joking here I am still uncomfortable with "olol nuke Africa"

Oh yeah, I completely agree. That'd be unimaginable.

We can't just throw out the whole continent because most of it needs a solution. We'll probably leave 20-30% of it standing.

"Waste not, want not" and all that.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Ol' SparkyOl' Sparky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There are no good guys
    There are no bad guys

We'll never again have a war that is almost universally agreed to be necessary to stop the spread of real evil

It's all just shades of gray in this world

The vast majority of wars throughout history were of this sort. It's nothing new.

Even most modern wars were like this. WWII was just such an extreme counterexample that it colors our perception of a just war nearly in the absolute.

Even then, you have shit like the bombing of Dresden that makes you go ":(" again.

The methods were somewhat ambiguous, but the causes were significantly less so. One both fronts, there was a clear aggressor without reasonable cause accompanied by inhumane behavior in the extreme.

Dresden, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki play major roles in keeping it away from an absolutely black and white situation, but aren't nearly enough to make it nearly as gray as the norm.

I suppose you're right when it comes to the practices of the war, and the common consensus is that Roosevelt, Churchill, and Truman bombed to bring an end to the war, not to exterminate the Italian, German, Japanese, Romanian nationalities. But there's also a whole lot that needs to be acknowledged more openly in regards to what the Western Allies wanted out of the war, and this often involved a whole lot of ethnic cleansing (in terms of population movement - not murder, of course), economic de facto imperialism and colonialism, screwing over lots of smaller groups in Europe and elsewhere - and not just Poland. And of course that's not even considering the atrocities the Red Army and NKVD committed simply marching into Germany, not to mention what happened in the occupation of Eastern Europe.

Granted, none of it was done simply to exterminate peoples based on race, ethnicity, language, nationality, etc., and it was often on what was a smaller scale than what the Nazis did in Eastern Europe or the Japanese did in China and other locales in East Asia. But it all was pretty horrible, and often was motivated by greed and misinformation (i.e. early Cold War years) more than anything else. A good read on the subject of how much of a clusterfuck WWII was for everyone involved is The War of the World by Niall Ferguson, simply because he delves into a lot of material that is usually just simply ignored because the good guys won.

And just to cover my own ass I'm not saying the Western Allies - and the USSR, because it was invaded, and it did take the brunt of Axis aggresion - weren't on some level fighting the good fight, but that there were a lot of other motives that need to acknowledged on a grand level.

Ol' Sparky on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey guys remember the Spanish American War and the shit that followed it in the phillipenes? McKinley for president '12.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited June 2009
    Man the Filipino-American War should be studied in every war college in countries where counter insurgency might be a thing

Ol' Sparky on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ol' Sparky wrote: »
    Man the Filipino-American War should be studied in every war college in countries where counter insurgency might be a thing

and the IRA in Ireland, Algeria, Vietnam, Chechnya, Afghanistan in the 80s, and even the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited June 2009
    Well, yeah

and the British in Malaya especially, considering they won pretty much hands down.

Ol' Sparky on
  • Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is from Sullivan's The Atlantic column.
    Ahmadinejad called the opposition a bunch of insignificant dirt who try to make the taste of victory bitter to the nation. He also called the western leaders a bunch of 'filthy homosexuals'. All these disgusting remarks was today answered by that largest demonstration ever. All these disgusting remarks was today answered by that largest demonstration ever. Older people compared the demonstration of today with the Ashura Demonstration of 1979 which marks the downfall of the Shah regime and even said that it outnumbered that event.

There's not really any fact checking going on here, though.

Drew-B on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "You know how I know you're gay? You're the leader of a corrupt Western oligarchy."

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, when it comes to shitty nations we shouldn't forget Yemen.

Fucking animals.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I assumed that article would be about them nailing yaks

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In Yemen, the age of consent is 9

:winky:
    D:

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Thats in yak years, though

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Coincidentally nine yak years is equal to 12 human years

Me Too! on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

how would you even

why would you even

how does one go about calculating

NYAAARGHGHAGAH

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited June 2009
    I don't think he was actually doing yak-age calculations over there, dogg

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    somewhere a sixth grade math teacher is screaming 'SIMPLIFY'

Javen on
    edited June 2009
    God, I loathed that

I can still barely perform that kind of simple math (because I am legally retarded)

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    http://www.dailynk.com/english/read.php?cataId=nk00100&num=5058

Kim-Jong Il really is an internet expert

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009

The age of consent in the Philippines is 12 human years

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    brb going to the philippines

Metzger Meister on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SOCATOA

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    edited June 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    SOHCAHTOA

E: Factoring hectopascals!

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    What shitty eastasian nation is it that has the highest rate of prostitutes per capita

Like 1:1000

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    What shitty eastasian nation is it that has the highest rate of prostitutes per capita

Like 1:1000

thailand?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • DragonicityDragonicity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That was my guess.

Dragonicity on
    edited June 2009
    AMP'd wrote: »
    SOHCAHTOA

I learned SOHCAHTOA as the great Indian chief, but everyone learned it differently

Junior year we had a student teacher who goes "You guys know SOHCAHTOA right? Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping On Acid"

Whole class is just like what the fuck dude we didn't learn it as a drug joke

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    man I had such a good time in Phuket. Wish I could go again.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited June 2009
    man I had such a good time in Puket. Wish I could go again.

What a terrible name for a city

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009

lovely beaches though.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited June 2009
    man I had such a good time in Puket. Wish I could go again.

You're a terrible name for a city

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    SOHCAHTOA

I learned SOHCAHTOA as the great Indian chief, but everyone learned it differently

Junior year we had a student teacher who goes "You guys know SOHCAHTOA right? Some Old Hippie Caught Another Hippie Tripping On Acid"

Whole class is just like what the fuck dude we didn't learn it as a drug joke

Some Old Horses Can Always Hear Their Owner's Approach

The World Ends With You taught me so many mnemonics I didn't need for SOHCAHTOA

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited June 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited June 2009
    Some Old Horse Caught Another Horse Taking Other's Oats was the one most people in my school knew

And then a few of us that had the same math teacher in middle school knew the great Indian chief

And then everyone in my precalc class remembered it as Some Old Hippie after that

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    What about "SOHCAHTOA"

It's not hard to remember

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

lovely beaches though.

99 problems and a beach ain't one?

JoeUser on
    edited June 2009
    you can get child prostitutes anywhere, indie winter.

actually the island was relatively whore free

Bangkok now, that was a real shithole

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited June 2009
    edited June 2009
    What about "SOHCAHTOA"

It's not hard to remember

no that's how I remembered it for a long time

the some old hippie thing just stuck with me

Me Too! on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hahaha shit

This came up on my iPod the other day and I haven't stopped singing it since

Grey Ghost on
    edited June 2009
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Hahaha shit

This came up on my iPod the other day and I haven't stopped singing it since

it's just such a catchy song

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.