As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Tournament - UNC is victorious!

1171819202123»

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Whelp, ended with 146 points, which is a respectable number.

Jragghen on
  • IronSunriseIronSunrise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bah... not even diverting enough to inspire continued drinking, felt like everyone was ready to go to bed by halftime

IronSunrise on
    Georg Dreyman, I have no sympathy for you.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ringo wrote: »
    TAR!

HEELS!

Was kind of a bummer the game wasn't competitive, though when Michigan State got it to 13 I was starting to get nervous. Memories of not scoring for 8+ minutes vs Georgetown 2 years ago came flooding back.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A Tar Heel born
    And a Tar Heel bred
    And when I die, I'm a Tar Heel dead!
    It's rah, rah, Carolina!
    Rah, rah, Carolina!
    Go to hell Duke!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, that was depressing.

Thank god I did well enough early on to win this Yahoo league anyway. :P

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • SquirrelmobSquirrelmob Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pros: Almost everyone (save Suton, Walton and...Ibok?) comes back next year. Also, the city still exists today.

Cons: My god that game sucked.

Squirrelmob on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, that was depressing.

Thank god I did well enough early on to win this Yahoo league anyway. :P

Send me your address dude!

Medopine on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    goodness

that was a thrashing

Casual Eddy on
  • cubelovercubelover Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What a stinker of a game. UNC has had MSU's number so I'm not terribly surprised. Like most everyone else I wish it had actually been close.

cubelover on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The expanding media is a system pacifying and distracting consumers from the oppressive drudgery of their lives" - Digital Play
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As a lifelong Lions fan, I'm fairly inoculated against this kind of travesty.

As a fan of Spartan Football who lived through the John L era, I'm also inoculated.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    As a lifelong Lions fan, I'm fairly inoculated against this kind of travesty.

As a fan of Spartan Football who lived through the John L era, I'm also inoculated.

I can't resist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVZUKiRuIHk

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • EmonkEmonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFZIBY-IVU

Gotta love the coach's handshake at the end.

I'd also like to say that the John L. era had nothing on the Bobby Williams era.

Also, my brother-in-law's family is from Louisiana. HUGE LSU fans. They apparently hate Nick Saban. I thought it was hilarious.

Emonk on
  • BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    College sports fans, be careful of the company you keep on Facebook.

You might get yourself — and the program you support — in trouble.

That was the lesson this week for Taylor Moseley, a North Carolina State freshman who expressed a common-enough opinion on campus when he started the Facebook group called "John Wall PLEASE come to NC STATE!!!!"

More than 700 people signed up for the group encouraging Wall — a local standout and the nation's No. 1 basketball recruit — to pick the Wolfpack by national signing day next week.

But the NCAA says such sites, and dozens more like them wooing Wall and other top recruits, violate its rules. More than just cheerleading boards, the NCAA says the sites are an attempt to influence the college choice of a recruit.

Moseley got a cease and desist letter from N.C. State's compliance director, Michelle Lee, warning of "further action" if he failed to comply. In an interview Friday, Lee said that people who act as boosters but fail to follow recruiting guidelines could face penalties such as being denied tickets or even being formally "disassociated" from the athletic program.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hUifi8RgP8BmuXyCWSDn2kbgZloQD97FRH7O2

So any person who says "Player X, go to University Y" equals recruiting now, and is subject to punishment for such speech?

God damnit, NCAA.

BubbaT on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    BubbaT wrote: »
    College sports fans, be careful of the company you keep on Facebook.

You might get yourself — and the program you support — in trouble.

That was the lesson this week for Taylor Moseley, a North Carolina State freshman who expressed a common-enough opinion on campus when he started the Facebook group called "John Wall PLEASE come to NC STATE!!!!"

More than 700 people signed up for the group encouraging Wall — a local standout and the nation's No. 1 basketball recruit — to pick the Wolfpack by national signing day next week.

But the NCAA says such sites, and dozens more like them wooing Wall and other top recruits, violate its rules. More than just cheerleading boards, the NCAA says the sites are an attempt to influence the college choice of a recruit.

Moseley got a cease and desist letter from N.C. State's compliance director, Michelle Lee, warning of "further action" if he failed to comply. In an interview Friday, Lee said that people who act as boosters but fail to follow recruiting guidelines could face penalties such as being denied tickets or even being formally "disassociated" from the athletic program.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hUifi8RgP8BmuXyCWSDn2kbgZloQD97FRH7O2

So any person who says "Player X, go to University Y" equals recruiting now, and is subject to punishment for such speech?

God damnit, NCAA.

Fans show interest? How dare they!

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited April 2009
    Emonk wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoFZIBY-IVU

Gotta love the coach's handshake at the end.

I'd also like to say that the John L. era had nothing on the Bobby Williams era.

Also, my brother-in-law's family is from Louisiana. HUGE LSU fans. They apparently hate Nick Saban. I thought it was hilarious.

I love how your best counter example is, you know, a play that was blatantly incorrectly officiated. Watch that clock mysteriously hang on one second for three seconds!

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    Seems okay to me. The fallout after that game was wonderful too. Michigan fans complaining about the facemask on fourth down against Charles Rogers (if that didn't happen the game was over right there), about the officials blowing the too many men on the field call (you'd think they could count to 12), and of course, the infamous clock fiasco.

Yes, the whole thing was a conspiracy against U of M. How the hell did you guys survive last year?
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Debates on the last remaining second continue to this day. Some Michigan fans contend that clock operator Bob Stehlin, known colloquially as "Sparty Bob," stopped the clock before the spike play had actually concluded, to give the Spartans one more chance. Others have countered by arguing that the game clock in Spartan Stadium could only show the time to the nearest second, leaving open the possibility that a fraction of a second was left. (That argument left some people wondering if college football should adapt the tenths-of-a-second clock like is used in basketball and hockey.)

Regardless of the clock operator, some Michigan fans are sure that the referees made two incorrect penalty calls in favor of MSU, that if called "correctly" would have resulted in a Michigan victory. One was calling "too many men on the field" against Michigan during the final drive. The back judge counted twelve players, Michigan claimed they only had eleven when the ball was snapped. Video replay from ABC clearly shows 12 men on the Michigan defensive side of the ball. ABC's Gary Danielson is seen labeling and counting the 12 men on the field. The second incident was on the final play. While T.J. Duckett caught the winning touchdown, defender Larry Stevens was clearly held and video replays confirm this, and that should have negated the touchdown, but no flag was thrown. Michigan State fans counter that holding is often not called, especially in the final play of a game. (see transcript link at the bottom of the page)

In addition to the controversy over the clock operation, Michigan State took a timeout before realizing that a penalty flag had been thrown on Michigan for 12 men on the field. Michigan State head coach Bobby Williams failed to ask for his timeout back and instead chose to use it to talk strategy with his team. Some Michigan State fans claim that the refs should have automatically awarded the timeout back to Michigan State due to the Michigan penalty, however, it is standard procedure that the coach must ask for it back and not actually use the timeout. Because, Bobby Williams did not ask for his timeout back, Jeff Smoker was forced to spike the ball in the closing seconds of the game instead of calling time out.

Emonk on
    edited April 2009
    The penalty calls are whatever. I distinctly recall ESPN showing a real time clock along with that play which pretty conclusively proved the clock should have run out.

That said, it's the '99 game that will always drive me nuts because Michigan had a great team that year and blew it against you guys and Illinois.

As for last year, expectations were something like "7-5 if we're really optimistic."

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    Sadly, blown calls are a part of the game, regardless of how you feel about the clock management in that particular instance. Every team benefits from them at some point or another, and every team has them the other way as well. The reason the penalties are so relevant is that Michigan put themselves in position to lose.

The 1990 Desmond Howard no-call was WAY worse in my opinion, but that one came in the Big House.

Tom Brady's tears circa 1999 are ambrosia.

I'm considering becoming a booster for Appalachian State as well.

Emonk on
    edited April 2009
    Oh, for sure. The 2001 team was stupid and sort of deserved to lose that game. But they didn't. Which drove us nuts.

And yes, the '90 no call was also absolutely awful. Sigh.

On the other hand:

wtzfbcthecatch2102597.gif

:P

Also that team that lost to App State beat MSU sooooo...

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2009
    Also that team that lost to App State beat MSU sooooo...

So what you're saying is App State is better than Penn State and Florida, two top 10 teams that Michigan beat that season.
    Of course not. That would be a ridiculous thing to say.

Anyway, enough! We need to focus on the Red Wings repeating. College football will be here soon enough and both teams look to be improved from last season.

Emonk on
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, the Wings are doomed. This team is just not focused and I don't think you can turn it on for the playoffs, as much as I'd like to see them do so.

And my point was more shut up, we beat you neener neener.

Also yes, we'll be better... unless Tate Forcier gets hurt. Then we're doomed.

More interestingly is you can make an argument that we've got two of the top three teams in the Big Ten in basketball next year. Assuming Sims/Harris and various Sparty sophomores stay.

enlightenedbum on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    so memphis is apparantly a buncha cheaters.

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess Calipari can join Pitino and Eddie Sutton on the list of "Crooked Kentucky Coaches". And his first season hasn't even started yet!

I love em anyway.

Duffel on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm just going to assume no one is actually surprised by this.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited May 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »
    I'm just going to assume no one is actually surprised by this.

I hope every college player is getting paid.

BubbaT on
  • MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    up next: laughable sanctions that don't do anything to solve the problem

Medopine on
    edited May 2009
    Medopine wrote: »
    up next: laughable sanctions that don't do anything to solve the problem

On the plus side I think Michigan will no longer be tied for the "most vacated Final Fours" lead.

enlightenedbum on
    edited June 2009
    So now we know who's staying in the draft and who's not.

The big news is Tim Floyd and the USC scandal. I feel real bad for Alex Stephenson, he transfered last year from UNC to be near his parents and not only did he miss out on a championship but he'll play out the rest of his eligibility without an actual team around him, as USC lost 4 players to the draft and all of their incoming recruits. (I may have exaggerated there, I'll look it up in a minute)

BubbaT is a USC fan, right? Or was that UCLA?

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, USC.

I still haven't seen any credible evidence about Floyd paying anyone, though the fact that he left isn't to his favor. There's something off with the idea that USC could buy the #1 recruit in basketball for a measly $1000, though. I know the economy's down, but the going rate for a top player has to be more than that. And that's a hearsay account from a drug dealer who admits he didn't actually see Floyd pay the $1000.

I don't agree with the school's position of putting a gag order on everyone while the investigation was ongoing. I never heard of Calipari or Calhoun hesitating to defend themselves, with their schools backing them up. There's really no advantage to clamming up, while it hurt the school big time in the court of public opinion, resulting in all those players fleeing.

At any rate, next year looks shitty for SC in hoops.

BubbaT on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jodie Meeks went into the draft, too. I'm kinda disappointed but apparently it was a joint decision between himself, Calipari, Tubby, and his father (and, pointedly, not Gillespie), so oh well. I wish him the best but we sure could have used him this year.

Duffel on
    edited June 2009
    Looking at wiki, it seems Kentucky should have a good 8-9 year run with Calipari before he bails and the NCAA starts investigating. So even if Kentucky doesn't manage to take it all this year, they've at least got something to build with.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG