As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Split/Second = Burnout Revenge & Excite Truck with Michael Bay riding shotgun

LunkerLunker Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
airport_027_01.jpg

[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpnUzI04_1s]E3 Trailer[/vidurl]
[vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDMW2PpED3A]Awesome 13-minute E3 Stage Demo[/vidurl]

I tried running a search but couldn't find an existing thread on this bad boy. I recently went to a Disney Interactive presser and almost forgot they were releasing this, so I was able to get some hands-on time with the E3 build of Split/Second—and I was curious about this before, but now I'm definitely pumped about this game.

The game is completely unabashed arcade racing. It feels exactly like Burnout, though I'm talking pre-Paradise Burnout: None of this open-world nonsense, just place me where I need to be and let me punch the gas. The hook is that there isn't any turbo boost—you do build up a power meter for doing Burnout-y things, like drifting, drafting and such, but the power is instead used to trigger dozens of different Michael-Bay-and-Jerry-Bruckheimer-wet-dream explosions and track deformations placed around the course. With small levels of boost, you can trigger gas station detonations, helicopter missiles and other smaller events, all with the intent of knocking out other players temporarily. You can also open up temporary shortcuts, like having a crane lift steel pipes out of the way for a few seconds. Some of these reset, others don't, but all leave debris and scattered obstacles in the way after they're triggered.

The big setpieces, though, are saved for full boost meter charges, and these change the entire setup of the track—the stage demo above shows an airport race track where an air traffic control tower bursts into flames and comes crashing down, blocking off an entire portion of the course and opening up a new section. You can also bring a full jetliner crashing down onto the course, nuke an entire line of stores in a shopping mall and trigger two lines of explosives that sends everyone into a lower level. This is very Excite Truck-y, and the changes are permanent. They're also—and this is the 14-year-old boy in me talking—completely fucking awesome to see.

I only got to play two rounds of the airport level, but it looks really slick. It's almost completely HUD-less; you've got a very Dead Space–inspired minimal HUD on your back bumper that gives your place, number of laps and how much power you've got stored up. There's a lot of motion blur everywhere, and it really does have some beautiful explosions. The supposed setup for the game is that you're in a reality TV show, so you're supposed to win races while racking up ratings by nuking shit across the course. The end result does feel like a summer blockbuster, with shit going off left and right, either destroying cars outright or feeling the concussion from a blast and having your car get blown around. You get a Burnout (and almost Mario Kart-ish) feeling of competition from timing your triggers, and if you mess up the timing you can miss other cars and actually catch yourself in a blast if you're not careful. There also seem to be tiered triggers, so you won't just set off everything on the first lap and have nothing to two for the rest of the race.

It's also worth noting that the game is developed by Black Rock Studio, aka the team behind the criminally neglected ATV racer Pure (and still the closest thing we'll ever get to a next-gen SSX). And it'll have 8-player online, some kind of local multiplayer (the demo guy didn't confirm how many players or what yet), and some kind of replay and video editing setup that lets you watch and post replays of your races.

Seriously, [vidurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDMW2PpED3A]check out the E3 stage demo because it's totally rad.[/vidurl] The only downside is that I'm not sure if there's a release date set. I don't think it's ready for this year; most of the previews I've read say the team has a lot left to do, but the game looks gorgeous for being so early in.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
Lunker on

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread has a fine title

Robman on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of this, I may need another car destruction game once I'm finally finished with Burnout Paradise and Excitebots. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm actually looking forward to seeing more of this, I may need another car destruction game once I'm finally finished with Burnout Paradise and Excitebots. :^:

Excite and Burnout are the two things I thought of—haven't played Motorstorm but that also seems to be in the ballpark. It also just looks really, really beautiful in motion. The screenshots out there are kind of bullshotty, but check out the trailers, because it looks just like that.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The name makes me want to choke someone.

But I want to play the game anyways

Khavall on
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've always enjoyed racing games that had track destruction. My fondest memories are of Rollcage 1 and 2 on the PS1. Weapons + Indestructable racers = Devestated tracks. So fun.

If this is similar...I will be a happy man.

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Excite and Burnout are the two things I thought of—haven't played Motorstorm but that also seems to be in the ballpark. It also just looks really, really beautiful in motion. The screenshots out there are kind of bullshotty, but check out the trailers, because it looks just like that.

As long as this has that over the top, super fast, things constantly blowing up feeling that the other two games have, I'll be snatching this up right away. You all can keep your boring Gran Turismo's or Forza's, give me destruction and mayhem with a car. :P

Seriously though, if this is anything like a match up of those two franchises, it'll be gold.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    YES PLEASE

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Watching the 13 minute E3 interview, the developer said that they are putting 2 player split screen into it. Interesting to see that a developer is keeping that in when a lot of MP games are moving to online only modes.

Marikir on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fucking sold. Thank you so much Lunker.

Burnout Revenge is easily the best Burnout. Combine that with Excite Truck, and throw in a few Michael Bay explosions and I'm a happy man.

All I need are boobs. Tell me there are boobs.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Fucking sold. Thank you so much Lunker.

Burnout Revenge is easily the best Burnout. Combine that with Excite Truck, and throw in a few Michael Bay explosions and I'm a happy man.

All I need are boobs. Tell me there are boobs.

Arcee-dreamwave.jpg

boobs?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hmmm...apparently Tycho likes this game in his comments.

Also, the below comic:
    884439093_ECK33-O.jpg

So, anyone have any reactions/stories to share? Let's get em out here!

As I've been looking for years for the spiritual sequel to Rollcage, this and Blur both got my attention. Blur's being discussed already, but not much about this...let's rectify that!

Anyone got the full game yet? How's it playing for you?

Marikir on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got the impression alot of people didn't like Split/Second to be honest. I tried the demo and it didn't really do it for me. I prefer online stuff though and I've heard that split/second really excels when played offline.

3 big racers came out almost at the same time ... I'm thinking most people like me picked one and are hoping for the best. I'm really enjoying modnation racers, although I have to admit the ravings of the Blur thread are weakening my resolve to stick to "one" racer.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I enjoy the game. Lots of fun and sounds great on a surround sound system. Also the Airport might possibly be the most boring map in the game. The Dam stage is awesome and its level 2 power play is a sight to behold. If you got gamefly I'd suggest at least renting it. Its a lot of fun and you can play split screen with a friend.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Glad to see they didn't abandon split screen. I suppose that means you can do all the multiplayer modes in that manner then? Such as the mentioned "bullet hell" mode?

Marikir on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yep you can do Race, Demolition [bullet hell], and Elimination in split screen

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I really enjoyed the demo, so I'll definitely pick this up.

When it drops down to 30 bucks.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I got it for 40 bucks at Best buy with a price match I saw on cheapassgamer.com. Plus the 500 bonus points [5 dollar coupon] and reward points for the purchase. So I got it for a pretty good price. 60 bucks. Yeah not worth it. 30-40 bucks yeah...worth it.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Best Buy has it for $39.99 right now, so I grabbed a copy on impulse this morning. So far I'm having a fucking blast.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Air attack and Detonator are fun to play. Nothing like dodging missle fire or explosive barrels at 100+ mph.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Hey, I forgot I made this! :D I really liked the demo, but like a bunch of other people, I just have a ton of other things I'm working on and playing right now, so I might hold off for a little while. I personally kind of dug the demo more than the Blur beta/demo, though they are two fairly disparate experiences once you go beyond "racing and crashing."

EDIT: Okay, wait, I just saw the Survival mode video. Might have to get this sooner rather than later.

Lunker on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow. I was going to rent this, but heard so much bad stuff about the demo I may not have. Looking at it now though it seems they just put together a terrible demo.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Demo was the tits, especially when the jumbo jet comes crashing down. I'm considering switching my Blur preorder towards this one. Tycho's news post solidifies this.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Picked this up today. Been playing Blur since Friday and love it, but loving this too.

Despite the comparisons they feel completely different, Split/Second is almost like a puzzle game. Timing your power plays with your drifts/drafts is providing a nice challenge. Gonna jump on multiplayer later, should be a lot more hectic.

Also the music is awesome, it's like a constant Bourne/Bond action scene.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Got this a few days ago and have put a couple hours into it. I was pleasantly surprised. It's a lot more fun and exciting then I thought it'd be. The really large power plays are awesome and there's nothing like bringing down a 100 ft tall tower in front of your competitors. And the survival mode is fantastic. It almost feels like the car chase from Bad Boys 2.

And what is the mode called where you are in a time trial, but the entire track is exploding around you. They finally made time trials fun.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    It's Demolition and yes That makes time trials insane. The Power Plant one I can't score higher than 2nd on currently.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Demo was the tits, especially when the jumbo jet comes crashing down. I'm considering switching my Blur preorder towards this one. Tycho's news post solidifies this.

I was on the fence for the longest time, trying to decide between this and Blur. Because of Tycho's post I finally decided to just go with Split/Second. I really enjoyed the demo, so even if it was just more of the same that would be cool with me.

I picked it up after work and put in a couple hours tonight. I have to say I really enjoy it. The gameplay definitely leans more toward Grid than Burnout, with the emphasis more on skillful driving than straight-out aggresson.

Knowing when to use your powerplays most effectively seems like it will take some time to learn. It's not just a blue turtle shell "Press A to win", if you don't time them right your opponents will just swerve out of the way. Motoring along in first place while trucks explode around you and bombs fall on your head is an awesome rush. Just knowing that the guys behind you are trying their best to take you out.

I only did one round of the mode where the helicopter shoots at you, but was great too. Even if the spectacle wears off over time (Here comes another plane, woohoo.) I enjoy the core mechanics and the graphics/presentation enough that I can see myself playing it for a while.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I had a little extra money and I ended up getting this off D2D. However it's making me feel a little stupid at the moment. I want to try it online and it asks for a user name and a password. Not only do I not know what this password is that it's asking for, but I can't even figure out how to select the password area to type something in.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Everytime the game shows me my user name it just shows all *. I remember seeing some warning about entering personal info, but I just put in my normal tag, Cronus. Whatever they did there is either a bug or a really stupid decision.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm having an awesome time with this game; it's exactly what I want from a driving game. It definitely isn't going to appeal to anyone who likes tuner type games or ones where you slowly build-up a collection of cars, but if you just want to bend some metal, this is a good way to get that done.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was thinking about picking this up, but I heard the rubberbanding was pretty bad. I'd hate to be winning a race free and clear when halfway through the last lap some jackass comes up and passes me...

I'll probably end up renting it.

freakish light on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The rubberbanding isn't... too terrible? I'm finding it better than Burnout: Paradise (and part of that might be that the game gives you a timer that indicates roughly how far ahead of the pack you are). Plus, I mean, you're getting smashed into rolling buses & falling towers all the time whenever you get in the lead, so rubber-banding becomes a bit less problematic that way.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are there any racing games that don't have rubberbanding? I never understand why developers keep putting it in.

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Burnout Paradise definitely doesn't rubberband. At the beginning of the game I regularly finish races a good thirty seconds ahead of the other drivers, and they close the gap with better cars and skill increases and not "Oh, I was four miles ahead of you and now I can see you in my rearview WOOPS"

freakish light on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rented this and have been having a great time with it so far, onto my 4th or 5th show,

- Very much like burnout meets need for speed undercover, (with a hint of MEGARACE) with no direct shunting of enemies off the road, more emphasis on using certain (awesome) exploding landmarks to your advantage.

- Game really (really) feels much more fun once you've gotten some of the faster cars unlocked (very much like burnout, the game feels really sluggish to start, but at the point I'm at now the cars are starting to kick.)

- I still wish there was a boost button.

- Quite enjoying the music, although there could be more track selection, it beats EA Licensed Tunes anyday.

- Hate the announcer. I expected to hate any voice work I encountered in this game and I sure did, just awful.

and the missile dodging minigame is really fun once you get a car with decent traction. I've definitely had a few "wow" moments thus far and that's enough to make the rental very worthwhile.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So far from what I've played the single player in this is pretty fun. Overall the game doesn't seem quite as polished as Blackrock's previous game (Pure). Which is kind of weird, but it doesn't stop it from being fun. Oh and the PC port is one of the laziest I've seen in a long time.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »
    So far from what I've played the single player in this is pretty fun. Overall the game doesn't seem quite as polished as Blackrock's previous game (Pure). Which is kind of weird, but it doesn't stop it from being fun. Oh and the PC port is one of the laziest I've seen in a long time.

The PC Port isn't actually that bad IMO. Besides the menu and the problem with exiting the game, it is pretty good. Everything in game seems good and works well for me. Though I do use a 360 controller for it.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh shit the ferry wharf route changer is amazing. Blowing up a bridge so you jump onto the deck of a sinking aircraft carrier dodging the sliding jets then jumping into the hold and out of the other side the second time around.

Simon Cowell make this show instead of those shit talent shows.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am loving the shit out of this game. Picked it up a couple of days ago (I also snagged Pure for a couple of quid).

Only thing I don't like are the detonator stages, because I absoloutely must get gold before I move on and the level of perfection required is insane. I looked up a youtube of the second one (where you drive the truck with no accelleration at all) because I was sure I must be missing a shortcut somewhere. I was not.

I did however find a very useful glitch mentioned in the comments:

You are in full control of your car before you cross the start line. It is possible to stop short without starting the timer, turn around and drive off in the oposite direction. once you get far enough away the game automatically resets you back at the start line, but at full speed.

Bantry on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

The PC Port isn't actually that bad IMO. Besides the menu and the problem with exiting the game, it is pretty good. Everything in game seems good and works well for me. Though I do use a 360 controller for it.

Well I didn't mean it's horribly broken and doesn't run well type lazy. What I meant where the following things. One big one and several small ones that add up to it seeming like a rather lazy port by today's standards.

Well the one really bad thing is I can't for the life of me figure out how to get online. There's no registration for anything to be found and it asks for some password. Worse than that I can't actually find out how to click the area where I have to put in the password. Also pressing enter in the username area does nothing as far as I can tell. I've never had trouble like this before and I've been playing PC games for a good long time. So until someone points out to me what I'm doing stupidly wrong I'm assuming this is some of the worst implementation of multiplayer I've ever come across.

Other than that it's small things.

Menu things you already mentioned.

The graphical options suck. You can change resolution and then put the graphics from low -> very high, but there's no "advanced" type mode that lets me tweak things. That's pretty standard nowadays.

Doesn't directly support the 360 pad (pretty much all other modern games that are also on that console do). What I mean is in the tutorial section it will say stuff like press button 1 to do this. It wasn't that hard to find out what button 1 was but it was kind of annoying.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

Well I didn't mean it's horribly broken and doesn't run well type lazy. What I meant where the following things. One big one and several small ones that add up to it seeming like a rather lazy port by today's standards.

Well the one really bad thing is I can't for the life of me figure out how to get online. There's no registration for anything to be found and it asks for some password. Worse than that I can't actually find out how to click the area where I have to put in the password. Also pressing enter in the username area does nothing as far as I can tell. I've never had trouble like this before and I've been playing PC games for a good long time. So until someone points out to me what I'm doing stupidly wrong I'm assuming this is some of the worst implementation of multiplayer I've ever come across.

Other than that it's small things.

Menu things you already mentioned.

The graphical options suck. You can change resolution and then put the graphics from low -> very high, but there's no "advanced" type mode that lets me tweak things. That's pretty standard nowadays.

Doesn't directly support the 360 pad (pretty much all other modern games that are also on that console do). What I mean is in the tutorial section it will say stuff like press button 1 to do this. It wasn't that hard to find out what button 1 was but it was kind of annoying.

I haven't tried to get online yet. That sounds pretty horrible. Does anyone have any suggestions for Barrabas?

I also forgot about the 360 pad buttons not being displayed properly. That bothered me too. Most games nowadays do that correctly. Maybe they'll fix it in a patch.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png