As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iran Election: The Fallout. Shit+Fan

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Someone with an account tweet this to Hoekstra:

"Woke up this morning and was out of cereal - felt like The Great Leap Forward."
    "Bus was super crowded this morning and I didn't even get a seat - felt like I was stuffed in a cattle car . . ."

Hey now, I was stuck in traffic this morning with my windows down and got stuck next to a truck blowing exhaust at me-felt like Auschwitz gas chamber

fixed for format

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

If things seem to be going the way you don't want, blame the Russians. Doesn't matter why, you just need someone to blame. They're our (Americans) Jews, basically. But I'm a cynic.

Or possibly unaware that Russia supplies Iran with arms.

sanstodo on
  • PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread creeps me out.

PeekingDuck on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i finally voted in this poll and got a chuckle

Barcardi on
  • TravanTravan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Iran is out of the world cup, NKs and Saudis tied 0-0:http://www.globalfutbol.com/2009/6/17/912675/iran-out-of-world-cup-as-nk-draws

Travan on
    Gamertag- Travan7838

• Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The green wristbands, they do nothing... nothing!

Zombie Nirvana on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From deadspin
    custom_1245266421192_AP09061708204_02.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Hachface wrote: »
    I really, really, REALLY hope the CIA is capable of this but not involved because the idea of them being rendered incapable, rancid, and atrophied husks of their formers selves after the Bush and Clinton administrations would make me sad in a, "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! EVERYONE ABANDON PLANET! GIMME A KNIFE! I WANT OFF THIS STUPID RIDE!" sort of way.

The CIA has never been competent.

Seriously, the more you read about the CIA, the more hilarious they become as they seem to have fucked up SO many times.

Read it with the Benny Hill music playing, it's even better.

Hey, Acoustic Kitty would have worked if:
    1.It wasn't New York.(The cat was actually quite good at it's job, and trained to follow people with russian accents)
    2.They pulled up next to the target.
    3.They used a pug or shin instead

But instead a fucking cab driver had to ruin the greatest plan since developing the three million dollar poison that caused Castro's beard to fall off on TV.

Edith Upwards on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009

"Woke up this morning and was out of cereal - felt like The Great Leap Forward."
    "Bus was super crowded this morning and I didn't even get a seat - felt like I was stuffed in a cattle car . . ."

"So hot today - temperature in the 90s! May as well be in a jew-oven."

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

"So hot today - temperature in the 90s! May as well be in a jew-oven."

"I have no idea to what you are referring..."
    Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Yall on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It really is funny watching MSNBC's satellite reporting, because it keeps cutting in and out. Basically you can almost see Iran blocking things in realtime.

Also, more calls from people to get Obama more involved. I liked the sniper comment -- one shot, one kill, Obama is waiting for JUST the right moment.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sanstodo wrote: »
    This whole russia conspiracy issue is fascinating especially with the prez being in russia right now. I wonder how much of it has merit.

If things seem to be going the way you don't want, blame the Russians. Doesn't matter why, you just need someone to blame. They're our (Americans) Jews, basically. But I'm a cynic.

Too late for that. Russia (or rather, its predecessor) also supplied Iraq with arms even when we were on good terms with that nation. It supplied, and continues to supply, Kuwait, Syria, and the UAE with arms--all countries with wildly different political alignments. Hell, there are even theories that it supplied Israel with arms during one of those lulls of peace that followed the 6-Day War. Really, that's like asking which countries Iran has supplied with oil--it's not a short list. If you want to connect Iran with Russia, you need to find something unique, not "all the countries Russia and its predecessor ever sold arms to".

Synthesis on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So who is responsible for more executions... Mousavi or Dinner Jacket? Or is Mousavi more of an outsider?

Zombie Nirvana on
  • Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Setting aside the election and the protests for just a moment ...

Is anyone else as completely befuddled as I am by the media's response? It seems like just a few months ago, no news channel would shut the fuck up about Twitter and how amazing a communication tool it was. They immediately began using it to try and communicate with viewers (to the point where I was completely sick of it and thought Twitter was worthless).

Then THIS happens and Twitter exceeds what anyone probably expected of it and the media COMPLETELY IGNORES IT. 3 days to even acknowledge what was going on.

How in the hell?

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Because all of the traditional media sources are morons.

Captain Carrot on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Is anyone else as completely befuddled as I am by the media's response? It seems like just a few months ago, no news channel would shut the fuck up about Twitter and how amazing a communication tool it was. They immediately began using it to try and communicate with viewers (to the point where I was completely sick of it and thought Twitter was worthless).

Then THIS happens and Twitter exceeds what anyone probably expected of it and the media COMPLETELY IGNORES IT. 3 days to even acknowledge what was going on.

How in the hell?

First they noticed it.

Then they started using it and no one noticed.

Now they're pretending it's not happening so they can remain relevant.

MrMonroe on
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aegis wrote: »
    BobCesca wrote: »
    "The reality in Iran is not going to change because of the elections. The world and we already know [Iranian President Mahmoud] Ahmadinejad. If the reformist candidate [Mir Hossein] Mousavi had won, Israel would have had a more serious problem because it would need to explain to the world the danger of the Iranian threat, since Mousavi is perceived internationally arena as a moderate element...It is important to remember that he is the one who began Iran's nuclear program when he was prime minister."

Goddamnit Israel.

I don't like the way they've phrased it, but he's not lying about Mousavi's previous policies against Israel. I know he's now seen as a moderate, but he was pretty hard-line in the 80's about many, many things.

Oh he's got a point. However, priorities should be at least considered somewhat. I mean, when there's a fucking revolution going on you really shouldn't be potentially inflaming the situation by saying stuff like the above as how one's government should still approach the country.

Israel is really only interested in how this would impact Iran's nuclear program, support for Hezbollah, Hamas, and other groups, and stability. Israel is right that Moussavi would not abandon Iran's quest for nuclear arms. I am more hopeful that he would scale back the support for Hezbollah, especially with Hezbollah's losses in the recent election in Lebanon.

Israel's priorities are the same as they've always been. Keep Israel safe. It's easier for us to be heartened by the situation in Iran when we have a lot of space between us and potential Iranian nukes. That said, I disagree with Israel's priorities in Iran, especially because many Iranians support normalizing relations with Israel. I also believe this kind of rhetoric stemming from the mindset that automatically assumes Iran is the eternal enemy of Israel is counterproductive and out of date. There are fundamental changes in Iranian culture that the Israeli establishment seems unable to comprehend.

All thing being equal, this is probably one of the best stances we could hope from Israel on the matter; I hate to think of the political capital Ahmadinejad would have been able to draw from an Israeli statement supporting Mousavi.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://www.mediabistro.com/baynewser/twitter/profile_the_kid_at_the_state_department_who_figured_out_the_iranians_should_be_allowed_to_keep_tweeting_119136.asp
    When BayNewser heard that someone from the State Department had called Twitter to ask them to delay maintenance to allow Iranians to continue tweeting, we pictured some fusty old guy at Foggy Bottom in a rumpled Brooks Brothers suit and wayward spectacles.

Imagine our surprise, then, when we learned that, instead, it was a 27-year-old whiz kid whose job is to advise the State Department on how to use social media to promote U.S. interests the Middle East.

And imagine our further surprise when we learned this young gentleman wasn't one of Barack Obama's social media geniuses, but instead was a Condi Rice pick hired specifically to advise the State Department on young people in the Middle East and how to "counter-radicalize" them.

That's a very specific role.

Jragghen on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

How in the hell?

Government people, mostly on the right, making idiots of themselves on twitter is verifiable and thus news worthy. Even if inane.

Using twitter to contact users and get feed back, is useful, even if a bit silly.

Risking looking like a complete fool by emotionally reacting to unverifiable posts on twitter that could be complete BS, and even if not heavily slanted by own personal bias, not a good idea for a news organization "trying to be" reputable.

psychotix on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

How in the hell?

That's all well and good, but did you hear what Letterman said about Sarah Palin's daughter!

In all seriousness, I don't watch cable news but the coverage I've seen on network news and PBS has contained some passing mention of twitter's role. It's not something they seem to be playing up though, as there's no real way to substantiate what comes off of there as far as they're concerned.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »

How in the hell?

First they noticed it.

Then they started using it and no one noticed.

Now they're pretending it's not happening so they can remain relevant.

They certainly seem to be talking about it now. I mean, they weren't before, but it is being discussed now.

Then again, I have near zero idea what Twitter is, so I could be completely underestimating the depth of it, and thus, how effectively they're covering it.

I really don't care much about Twitter, so long as they keep talking about Iran--really, from any aspect, Twitter included, it's better than nothing.

Synthesis on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://www.mediabistro.com/baynewser/twitter/profile_the_kid_at_the_state_department_who_figured_out_the_iranians_should_be_allowed_to_keep_tweeting_119136.asp
    When BayNewser heard that someone from the State Department had called Twitter to ask them to delay maintenance to allow Iranians to continue tweeting, we pictured some fusty old guy at Foggy Bottom in a rumpled Brooks Brothers suit and wayward spectacles.

Imagine our surprise, then, when we learned that, instead, it was a 27-year-old whiz kid whose job is to advise the State Department on how to use social media to promote U.S. interests the Middle East.

And imagine our further surprise when we learned this young gentleman wasn't one of Barack Obama's social media geniuses, but instead was a Condi Rice pick hired specifically to advise the State Department on young people in the Middle East and how to "counter-radicalize" them.

Too logical and intelligent of a hiring practice for government. Must be a fake!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited June 2009

Too late for that. Russia (or rather, its predecessor) also supplied Iraq with arms even when we were on good terms with that nation. It supplied, and continues to supply, Kuwait, Syria, and the UAE with arms--all countries with wildly different political alignments. Hell, there are even theories that it supplied Israel with arms during one of those lulls of peace that followed the 6-Day War. Really, that's like asking which countries Iran has supplied with oil--it's not a short list. If you want to connect Iran with Russia, you need to find something unique, not "all the countries Russia and its predecessor ever sold arms to".

Oh, I wasn't supporting the conspiracy theories in any way. It is highly unlikely that Russia is involved. However. Russia did intend to supply Iran with the S-300 anti-aircraft system (one of the best, if not the best anti-aircraft system in the world). The S-300 would have been intended to counteract Israel's air superiority.

It's not that the conspiracy theories are correct but rather that they are based on the relationship between the two nations. Not some weird "Russians are the new Jews!" explanation.

sanstodo on
    edited June 2009
    All thing being equal, this is probably one of the best stances we could hope from Israel on the matter; I hate to think of the political capital Ahmadinejad would have been able to draw from an Israeli statement supporting Mousavi.

Israel seems to be letting events play out without saying much of anything. Like most nations, actually. But you're right, they're bound by the same political realities as the US here.

sanstodo on
  • KoolaidguyKoolaidguy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Too logical and intelligent of a hiring practice for government. Must be a fake!

He must be some knid of android.

Koolaidguy on
  • psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

Oh, I wasn't supporting the conspiracy theories in any way. It is highly unlikely that Russia is involved. However. Russia did intend to supply Iran with the S-300 anti-aircraft system (one of the best, if not the best anti-aircraft system in the world). The S-300 would have been intended to counteract Israel's air superiority.

It's not that the conspiracy theories are correct but rather that they are based on the relationship between the two nations. Not some weird "Russians are the new Jews!" explanation.

Both Russia and the US need to sell arms. We have more allies that have more cash wanting to buy. Thus, Russia needs to sell arms, and technology, to those people who are not buying them from us.

The relationship of arms deals often now has little to do with your allies, and more gobbling up the market left.

psychotix on
  • Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Koolaidguy wrote: »

He must be some knid of android.

A Vermicious Knid, perhaps? ;)

Brian888 on
  • QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

How in the hell?
    Iran and Twitter are all over the media. CNN, NYTimes, I even checked out Fox and saw a couple of (surprisingly good) stories—one talked about how twitterers changed their settings to Tehran and proxies and haxors, etc.

I think there was just a lag time. Which shouldn't really surprise anyone, and isn't even necessarily a downside to "traditional media." There should be a place in our information ecosystem for both instant information and somewhat distanced aggregation and analysis.

Qingu on
    edited June 2009
    psychotix wrote: »
    Both Russia and the US need to sell arms. We have more allies that have more cash wanting to buy. Thus, Russia needs to sell arms, and technology, to those people who are not buying them from us.

The relationship of arms deals often now has little to do with your allies, and more gobbling up the market left.

I think you and Synthesis fail at recognizing my point. Here it is again, for clarity:

sanstodo on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Qingu wrote: »

How in the hell?
    Iran and Twitter are all over the media. CNN, NYTimes, I even checked out Fox and saw a couple of (surprisingly good) stories—one talked about how twitterers changed their settings to Tehran and proxies and haxors, etc.

I think there was just a lag time. Which shouldn't really surprise anyone, and isn't even necessarily a downside to "traditional media." There should be a place in our information ecosystem for both instant information and somewhat distanced aggregation and analysis.
    Most of the coverage has been complete shit, though. Talking about Bush v. Gore and how this will affect us instead of discussing Iranian history that's led to this and the people who are being shot and killed right fucking now. There really is no network without egg on its face when it comes to this.

Captain Carrot on
    edited June 2009

How in the hell?

Most of the coverage has been complete shit, though. Talking about Bush v. Gore and how this will affect us instead of discussing Iranian history that's led to this and the people who are being shot and killed right fucking now. There really is no network without egg on its face when it comes to this.

Not to mention the whole "look at the Achmedinejad victory rallies! They're wearing green for victory!" bullshit.

Jragghen on
    edited June 2009

How in the hell?

The BBC has been outstanding.

sanstodo on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    in regards to our iranian university friends... cnn is about 2 days behind

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/17/iran.university.probe/index.html

both bbc and kpbs have been great

Barcardi on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    I really, really, REALLY hope the CIA is capable of this but not involved because the idea of them being rendered incapable, rancid, and atrophied husks of their formers selves after the Bush and Clinton administrations would make me sad in a, "OMG! WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! EVERYONE ABANDON PLANET! GIMME A KNIFE! I WANT OFF THIS STUPID RIDE!" sort of way.

Seriously, the more you read about the CIA, the more hilarious they become as they seem to have fucked up SO many times.

Hey, I'd like to see you successfully overthrow the government of another country.
    Not really, please don't try.
    Do itttt....

Have they successfully overthrown the government of another country? I mean, this is the same organisation whose plans to defeat Fidel Castro involve powder that makes his beard fall out. I shit you not.

Guatemala.

Salvation122 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just got mail back from Hooman Majd (one of the talking heads who was in Iran during the election and got out of dodge just before shit hit the fan. I mailed him days ago and I already forgot what I asked. It was a gloriously dumb question in retrospect...I was wondering back then what Khameini was up to and if he was still in power.

Now a few days later it's pretty obvious that Khameini is obviously still in power, Ahmadinejad fled to Russia for some sort of meeting (seriously, who the hell plans a meeting with foreign leader LESS THAN TWO DAYS AFTER AN ELECTION? suspicious!) and Khameini has claimed twice that Ahmadinejad won.

What this made me realise is that events have transpired so fast. A few days ago we were all pretty much "wuh? eye-ran?" and now we're discussing the finer points of the position of the Council of Guardians, we're almost in tears every time Change_For_Iran tweets something and we're checking out hot Iranian girls in every picture we find.

Aldo on
  • PhantPhant Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hey, I'd like to see you successfully overthrow the government of another country.
    Not really, please don't try.
    Do itttt....

Have they successfully overthrown the government of another country? I mean, this is the same organisation whose plans to defeat Fidel Castro involve powder that makes his beard fall out. I shit you not.

Guatemala.

Plenty of African and south American nation's governments during the cold war. Pretty much any little country whose leader, democratically elected or not, looked just a bit too commie for us. Worse than the overthrowing of foreign goverments was the people they often installed. Half the time they were brutal dictators, the other half they were completely unhinged brutal dictators. Seriously, we are talking eating people, building temples to deities no one has worshiped since the Roman Empire went all jesusy unhinged.

Phant on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember hearing something a while ago about foreigners being used against protesters, did that turn out to be real?

If so, that could be really significant in terms of relations in the area. If the Iranian people develop a grudge against their country's puppets, that could end up with the new government vastly weakening ties with them. Israel stands to gain a lot out of this.

jothki on
    edited June 2009
    iranian girls are cute, that is for sure

can someone that actually has a twitter account ask change_for_iran why they dont take advantage of this lull in activities and barricade the dorms? or have they tried?

Barcardi on
    edited June 2009
    iranian girls are cute, that is for sure

can someone that actually has a twitter account ask change_for_iran why they dont take advantage of this lull in activities and barricade the dorms? or have they tried?

Supposedly tonight they're trying to rally people around the dorms to (peacefully) prevent the raids.

Jragghen on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I remember hearing something a while ago about foreigners being used against protesters, did that turn out to be real?

If so, that could be really significant in terms of relations in the area. If the Iranian people develop a grudge against their country's puppets, that could end up with the new government vastly weakening ties with them. Israel stands to gain a lot out of this.

Hamas and Hezbollah.

Sheep on
This discussion has been closed.