As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ PROTOTYPE ] - Rainbows and Unicorns on pg. 69.

Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
prototypealexmercerbann.png

In PROTOTYPE you kill a lot of things. In lots of cool ways. And leave blood and fire in your wake.

It's out on the Killbox 360, Slaystation 3, and Personal Comurder.

Don't read reviews. Watch these videos, and then go buy it, and kill everyone on your way out of the store:
Echo killing, the fun starts at about 1:00
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=julr8i6V46Y

Helpful movement video from Morninglord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANFLOFbQWM

Kaseius's's's silly antics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pVovq6yIQY

Well, watch this review I suppose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIZ7M_VpNsk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V129-5QK86o

20090619.jpg

FAQ
Q1. I'm playing on the PC, and I can't hear the pathetic screams of the dying very well! What's the deal?
A1.
Mordrack wrote: »
If you're on Vista or Win7 turning on Loudness Equalization fixes it. It's on the enhancements tab of the playback device's properties in the sound section of the control panel.

Q2. I killed a WoI Target/Consume Event Target in a hilarious way, but I didn't get to eat him, am I screwed?
A2. Nope, they'll respawn. WoI Targets will come back if you run off a bit and come back, Consume Event Targets will usually pop up somewhere else on the map after a bit.

Q3. My Web of Intrigue is lacking, and I'm hungry to fill it up, where can I find the meals I'm missing?
A3. Here's a helpful map for some great places to eat around town.

Q4. Hey, in the Options Menus, there's a place to enter Cheats, can you tell me some?
A4.1 No goddammit because I don't know any, what the hell? Why doesn't anyone have any cheats yet?
A4.2 Well, there is Right, Right, Left, Down, Up, Up, Up, Down to unlock Body Surf early, which is neat I guess, but seriously

Q5. Which is better, Prototype or InFamous?
A5.1 Play them both and figure it out for yourself.
A5.2 Ask again and Alex Mercer is coming to your house to elbow drop your body into a red splatter explosion.

Q6. There are Platinum Medals for the Events? How do I get those?
A6. Get Gold Medals in every Event first, then the Platinum goals will show up. Any scores you got getting Gold that meet Platinum's new goals will automatically reward you with the Platinum Medal.

GO FORTH AND DIE.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
Forever Zefiro on

• Ed321Ed321 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brilliant Title.

Ed321 on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Killbox 360, Slaystation 3, and Personal Comurder.

:^:

BlackDove on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Killbox 360, Slaystation 3, and Personal Comurder.

:^:

Yes.

Xtarath on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Posting this again
    Cherrn wrote:
    Is there a trick to the power-specific events? They seem simple, but enemies don't spawn quickly enough for me to get gold.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I have done maybe three events so far. The extra hours after story mode have been dedicated to looking for glowy orbs and tasty brains. I love you, Prototype.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited June 2009
    So I just finished Easy+ and was browsing my WoI, and wondered about a couple of things:

1: Will the hives and military bases just keep respawning? I've destroyed all the hives (twice) that appear after finishing the game, but they keep coming. Just wondering if continually blowing them up makes any difference.

2: Endgame spoiler:
    I'm not entirely clear on what happens in the General's flashbacks - specifically where he lost his arm after Operation Altruistic. I saw him taking the baby, then a flash of his bloodied arm, then him cutting it off. Did Pariah/Greene Jr. bite him or something?

Ed321 on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cherrn, normally I haven't had problems with those, until just now with Knuckle Dragger. Usually if you stay on the move, enemies will stay plentiful, but goddamn Hammerfists are so sloooow to kill.

Only way I can see to do it is kill tanks, but they don't spawn fast enough.

But yeah, stay on the move and kill the enemies that give you the most points.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I'm pretty sure they keep coming. You can just destroy them to make your stay in that particular blue or red zone less annoying.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Posting this again
    Cherrn wrote:
    Is there a trick to the power-specific events? They seem simple, but enemies don't spawn quickly enough for me to get gold.

Kill faster!

Seriously though, in most of those I'm just mashing X occasionally rolling and, if I need it, consuming.

On a few of the events it pays off to ignore the tougher foes and focus on killing the weaker foes.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
    edited June 2009
    Kylogue wrote: »
    Posting this again
    Cherrn wrote:

Kill faster!

Seriously though, in most of those I'm just mashing X occasionally rolling and, if I need it, consuming.

On a few of the events it pays off to ignore the tougher foes and focus on killing the weaker foes.

I seriously don't even know how the claw one is possible, as I haven't even managed to get silver on it. There's just not enough time, even if I'm constantly killing stuff.

I couldn't do the stretchy one either. Even though I'm killing dudes with every button press, I'm not really getting closer to gold.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited June 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they keep coming. You can just destroy them to make your stay in that particular blue or red zone less annoying.

Thanks, I thought as much. I'm not that wild about the heavily infected zones, although I love it when there's a light infected presence near one of the bridge checkpoints. You can just jump to higher ground and see the zombies shambling after the civilians who're trying to get through, and all the while the heavy turrets are just blasting away indiscriminately.

Ed321 on
  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I didn't see this come up in the other thread, but did anyone else know you can damage Hives by
    using Muscle Mass + Bulletdive Drop?

Szechuan on
    edited June 2009
    Also, what exactly is the deal with the consume missions? I've done like 6/10 easy now, and I got a mission for
    Karen Parker's location.

But I botched it, and only ate two scientists. Now there are no more consume events available on the map.

Cherrn on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Szechuan wrote: »
    So I didn't see this come up in the other thread, but did anyone else know you can damage Hives by
    using Muscle Mass + Bulletdive Drop?

Endgame spoilers
    Works on bases as well. It was a big help when you had to destroy Taggart's Base. Aside from a couple of Super Soldiers, I barely was scratched during that part.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And of course after complaining, I golded Dragging Knuckles, but only because it seems like I got lucky and the tanks spawned faster than they had previously.

And just golded 2 more Movement Events. One on my first try! That was satisfying.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Curious how people are faring as far as searching for Locations, Orbs, and Webs. I'm talking about people who aren't using spoilers or strategy guides or anything.

I'm sitting at 101 Locations, 32 Hints, and 48% of the Web completed. Not finished with the story mode yet. I am stuck on the mission to protect the Bloodtox truck.

Lucascraft on
    edited June 2009
    Also, what exactly is the deal with the consume missions? I've done like 6/10 easy now, and I got a mission for
    Karen Parker's location.

But I botched it, and only ate two scientists. Now there are no more consume events available on the map.

I almost finished all the consume events early on in New Game+, but that mission only appeared after the first boss fight (which makes sense). I don't think it's supposed to appear until you've done all the consume events bar 1 (which will be that mission). Try playing further into the story and finishing the consume events. If it still doesn't appear you may need to play New Game+ or something.

Ed321 on
    edited June 2009
    I'm at 20/31 missions, 76 Landmarks, 17 Hints, and 51% of Web completed.

And yeah, I'm not using any kind of guide. I haven't really searched much for any Orbs, mostly just grabbing them as I'm doing other things.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ed321 wrote: »
    Karen Parker's location.

I almost finished all the consume events early on in New Game+, but that mission only appeared after the first boss fight (which makes sense). I don't think it's supposed to appear until you've done all the consume events bar 1 (which will be that mission). Try playing further into the story and finishing the consume events. If it still doesn't appear you may need to play New Game+ or something.

I got this event after barely doing any consume event. I think I had 1 or 2 done at that time. I failed it for some reason but then in a later play session after doing some more consume events I ended up on that same one again.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Curious how people are faring as far as searching for Locations, Orbs, and Webs. I'm talking about people who aren't using spoilers or strategy guides or anything.

I'm sitting at 101 Locations, 32 Hints, and 48% of the Web completed. Not finished with the story mode yet. I am stuck on the mission to protect the Bloodtox truck.

I'm at about 125 landmarks, 32 hints and 100% web. I'm not sure if I'll bother trying to get all the landmarks/hints tbh.

Ed321 on
  • X Pr3dat0R XX Pr3dat0R X Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    God, hard mode is not fun!
    I keep trying to dash and glide to get around. I feel so slow!

X Pr3dat0R X on
    edited June 2009

I'm not really interested in going through this on hard. I'd rather have a fair bit of leeway with using different powers over 'use x powers on x enemies/in x situation or die horribly, you pathetic meatbag'.

Ed321 on
  • KylogueKylogue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kylogue wrote: »
    Posting this again
    Cherrn wrote:

Kill faster!

I seriously don't even know how the claw one is possible, as I haven't even managed to get silver on it. There's just not enough time, even if I'm constantly killing stuff.

I couldn't do the stretchy one either. Even though I'm killing dudes with every button press, I'm not really getting closer to gold.

If it's the infected one, just ignore the hunter! Whenever he attacks just roll dodge and start slashing the smaller guys.

Kylogue on
    360 GT: Ixtil
    PSN: Kylogue
  • malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    curb stomp? what is it good for? is it a prereq for body surf or something? usually if something is laying still on the ground it's dead already and doesnt need its head kicked in...

also i was mulling it over today and i liked the idea of putting muscle mass in with the passive defense/shield powers. perhaps that would just make it too easy to kill shit? muscle mass + blade would be disgusting...

malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
    edited June 2009
    malkoth wrote: »
    curb stomp? what is it good for? is it a prereq for body surf or something? usually if something is laying still on the ground it's dead already and doesnt need its head kicked in...

also i was mulling it over today and i liked the idea of putting muscle mass in with the passive defense/shield powers. perhaps that would just make it too easy to kill shit? muscle mass + blade would be disgusting...

Blade deaths pretty much all involve slashing people in twain anyway, it's not like having more muscle behind it would make a difference aesthetics-wise.

But then I'm not really an expert in using my hand as an oversized claymore.

Ed321 on
    edited June 2009

Scratch that. I just beasted through the first missions and promptly bought airdash, airdash boost, glide and diveroll. I feel better now :)

X Pr3dat0R X on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

To be fair, I'm not sure what use body surf is either....unless there's an upgrade to it, that is. As is, first rank is fairly pointless...you slide about five feet aaaaand done.

Which is too bad because I'd really like to be able to snake across half a block on the back of an old dude.

...not like THAT.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
    edited June 2009
    FireWeasel wrote: »

To be fair, I'm not sure what use body surf is either....unless there's an upgrade to it, that is. As is, first rank is fairly pointless...you slide about five feet aaaaand done.

Which is too bad because I'd really like to be able to snake across half a block on the back of an old dude.

...not like THAT.

Body slide can be useful against large groups of weaklings - you hit the first guy and tear through anyone in your path if they've bunched together. It normally happens by chance to me though.

Ed321 on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's also hilariously entertaining.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    edited June 2009
    So I'm thinking about turning off the music and playing the Conan the Destroyer OST (my PC and 360 are linked up and share the same monitor) in the background instead.

Any other suggestions for alternate soundtracks?

Ed321 on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    chasm wrote: »

Yes it is, unlike curbstomp. Which is basically alex just pressing his foot against some guys head. Originally I envisioned some kind of head explosion GoW style, but this is so boring. Also it has a tendency to trigger when you happen to be near a dead guy, yet you are actually trying to attack someone. :?

Foolish Chaos on
    edited June 2009
    So I'm thinking about turning off the music and playing the Conan the Destroyer OST (my PC and 360 are linked up and share the same monitor) in the background instead.

Top Gun OST
    :whistle:You've lost that loving feeeeelin'

X Pr3dat0R X on
    edited June 2009
    chasm wrote: »

Yes it is, unlike curbstomp. Which is basically alex just pressing his foot against some guys head. Originally I envisioned some kind of head explosion GoW style, but this is so boring. Also it has a tendency to trigger when you happen to be near a dead guy, yet you are actually trying to attack someone. :?

I want to make an American History X reference here, but that would take a lot of thinking. So that will have to do.

Ed321 on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Op should have more of the gameplay vids people posted, like echos and the base kill and that snazzy fellow with the free running video.

*shameless plug*

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited June 2009

Top Gun OST
    :whistle:tooooo the Daaaaaanger Zoooo-ooo-oo-oo-oone:whistle:

Ed321 on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like to play this sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g7HyJQt6-Y

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited June 2009
    I like to play this sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g7HyJQt6-Y

Maybe for some free-running. But I was also thinking:

Stan Bush's Dare for flying around the city.

Kicking the shit out of the military whilst I'm Alright from Caddyshack blares away in the background.

Ed321 on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i dunno about that top 10 in the OP

#1 was kinda lame-o

TyrantCow on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Top Gun OST

Somehow, every game is made better for me with 'A Kiss To Build A Dream On' playing.

And Curb Stomp isn't a pre-req for Body Surfing, I think the only use it has is if you manage to knock a Hunter to the ground with something like a snapkick. Also, has anyone else noticed that if you use Hammertoss and move of a building he stays in mid-air?

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited June 2009

Top Gun OST

Somehow, every game is made better for me with 'A Kiss To Build A Dream On' playing.

And Curb Stomp isn't a pre-req for Body Surfing, I think the only use it has is if you manage to knock a Hunter to the ground with something like a snapkick. Also, has anyone else noticed that if you use Hammertoss and move of a building he stays in mid-air?

I dunno, I kinda like to keep that indelibly associated with the Fallout series in my mind. I wear out songs pretty easily.

Ed321 on