As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] PAXers losing weight for PAX

• proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, I've done something right, and have lost over 15lbs in the past couple months

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Update: Lost about 4 pounds, now that I'm out of school and biking regularly. Also signed up to meet with a personal trainer at my gym, and I've got more time for homecookin'. Summer's looking great! :)

Twinkie on
  • dskaitlyndskaitlyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really proud of having you guys in the community with me. We're all doing really great.

Someone asked a while ago about being worried about gaining weight on vacation. Upon reflection I have noticed that I have previously had no problem maintaining my weight (not gaining but not purposefully losing weight either) until I take my annual trip to Alaska to visit my family. I have gained weight every time I've visited.

To avoid this I'm going to be extra careful about what I eat when I visit this August. I'm not going to eat the same things as them if they're eating something that isn't healthy for me. And I'm not going to be afraid to ask if I can purchase my own groceries when they go grocery shopping.

The biggest problem for me in the past has always been that on vacation I don't want to eat anything that's inconvenient. Fast food happens a lot, and I used to drink soda all the time. Changing those two things will help a lot, I hope.

Only three months until PAX! I'm starting to get really excited!

dskaitlyn on
    "You know, you're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain."
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I LOVE COSTCO. giant pack of chicken breasts, giant pack of tilapia loins, giant pack of asparagus, and some corn on the cob. healthy grilled dinners for a month NOM NOM NOM. Hallo weight loss, how you doin?

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Liger wrote: »
    I LOVE COSTCO. giant pack of chicken breasts, giant pack of tilapia loins, giant pack of asparagus, and some corn on the cob. healthy grilled dinners for a month NOM NOM NOM. Hallo weight loss, how you doin?

They also have a 1.5 Terrabyte External Hard drive for $139 ... not sure how that plays into weightloss but it's a damn good deal.

Maybe if you filled it with Jillian Michaels videos.

sum10fishy on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sum10fishy wrote: »

They also have a 1.5 Terrabyte External Hard drive for $139 ... not sure how that plays into weightloss but it's a damn good deal.

Maybe if you filled it with Jillian Michaels videos.

They are low in fat...

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll spare you about six million weight loss/hard drive puns.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Post Blue wrote: »

Six million? That's not even a meg's worth. ;)

Twinkie on
    edited June 2009
    Twinkie wrote: »

How many calories are in a meg?

sum10fishy on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

1024. But they only list 1000 on the box.

Houn on
    edited June 2009
    Houn wrote: »

1024. But they only list 1000 on the box.

Thanks God I wasn't drinking milk when I read that.

sum10fishy on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't friggin believe it but we are 10 WEEKS TIL PAX.

How is everyone doing? Still being diligent? Eating healthy, gaining more stamina and strength? Losing fat or gaining muscle tone?

Time to get it in gear for the FINAL COUNTDOWN. (Sorry, it just slipped out.) :P

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just bought a Wii explicitly for Wii Fit. I don't need to lose or gain anything, just... redistribute.

SlickShughes on
    edited July 2009
    I can't friggin believe it but we are 10 WEEKS TIL PAX.

How is everyone doing? Still being diligent? Eating healthy, gaining more stamina and strength? Losing fat or gaining muscle tone?

Time to get it in gear for the FINAL COUNTDOWN. (Sorry, it just slipped out.) :P

I got my swim trunks and my flippie floppies!

sum10fishy on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm tempted to get a Wii + Fit. But I hate its BMI standards. I weighed/measured myself on Accalon's Wii last week, and in order to hit my "ideal weight" I need to drop 20 lbs.

I'm going to shoot for 10 by PAX. I'm at 182 right now.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You will probably lose weight walking around PAX/Seattle. I know I tend to loose allot of weight walking around theme parks during vacation. I think it is the sudden shift out of office work mode.

Krathoon on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm tempted to get a Wii + Fit. But I hate its BMI standards. I weighed/measured myself on Accalon's Wii last week, and in order to hit my "ideal weight" I need to drop 20 lbs.

I'm going to shoot for 10 by PAX. I'm at 182 right now.

I think it told me to gain 7 pounds. Wait, are you 6 foot tall? I'm 6 foot, and it told me I should weigh 162 as well.

SlickShughes on
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, and BMI doesn't account for body type at all. So, suxx0rs for that.

I lost 4lbs over PAX last year. But getting in shape for PAX is important with all the walking, crowd navigating, lifting/carrying, and drinking I'll be doing. =D

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • ZarjnnZarjnn Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    Just wanted to give a shout out to fellow PAXers trying to lose weight. I started out at 261 pounds in April and I am now down to 241. Less Calories (1700/day) + Swimming = lost weight. I also radically changed my diet to eat a lot healthier. (fruits and veggies). So to those trying to lose...Keep Trying!! It takes a while and isn't instant.

Zarjnn on
  • The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just lurked my way through the thread and notice that the subject has turned to the Wii Fit.
    Here's by 2 cents on the matter:

For many people the whole BMI thing is more than a little misleading. In my case, I am 5'10", 170lbs. I lift weights, run and play sports. My body fat is about 9%. That said, my Wii Fit me is a pudgy little bastard, and the system says I'm borderline overweight...

Amusing yes. Helpful NO,

The Wii fit is really good for balance training which is more valuable than you might think, but the other exercises are only so-so IMO.

My wife went out an bought the EA active for the Wii. It uses the balance board (if you have one) but also makes use of a exercise band (think glorified rubber band - with handles!). She has been using it for close to three weeks now, and let's just say that she's wearing some clothes she hasn't been able to wear for a while, and me likey! The program incorporates strength training with aerobic conditioning and seems to be quite effective. She certainly works up a sweat over the course of a workout.

Anyhow, good luck to all of you trying to get in shape. You'll be glad you did!

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Fokkar wrote: »
    I play 2.5 hours of ultimate three nights a week

:mrgreen::mrgreen: Ultimate is the best sport ever. If anyone is having trouble losing weight, join a league. It's extremely difficult for the first little bit but the pounds will honestly melt off if you keep with it. Even if it's only a casual team, it's really great.

p.s. Since first posting on this thread I've lost about 10 lbs. I think it's a combination of easing up on the drinking, not going to my friend's house as often for dinner (they are fabulous cooks), not working at a restaurant as often as I was and definitely avoiding the food, and the accessibility of physical activities during the summer. I am feeling really great :D

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited July 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    I would recommend it to anyone, as long as it ends up surviving the nearly impossible test of my impatience and boredom. So we'll see if it stays interesting enough for me to stick with it.

Wii Fail. :?

Sumi on
  • ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I was going good with the diet for some time then i fell off the wagon. Still have lost lots of inches all over the place. Weight went back up, but im attributing that to the sudden change from office work to intense labour which has resulted in muscle gain.
    (sales manager for roofing company who had to get back on the roof after the construction industry took a nose dive)
    the sudden work change is also my justification for falling off the wagon :lol:

anyways, ill be back on the diet in a bit and will hit my target by PAX.

Side note: how has everyones wii fit weight measurement been stacking up against other scales?

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
  • AznTranquilityAznTranquility Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    still dieting for pax
    been eating ALL THE GOOD STUFFFF like almonds etc. Cutting back pastas, white rice, bread, sweeets, meat....
    T.T + 1 hr of exercise a day with pilates etc.

annnd I went from 130 to 120. ten more pounds to gooo.

AznTranquility on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Although I'm not fat/obese by any means, I feel like posting some needless information. I went to a personal trainer for the first time about a week and a half ago, and they weighed me with a fancy electronic scale that looked like one of those really expensive and pointless things you'd find in the sims. Point is, I had about 7% body fat. When I asked the trainer if that was a good or a bad thing, he said that your body requires about 3% body fat to survive. So now, I'm paranoid of my weight in an unusual way. D:

Pablo the Penguin on
    edited July 2009
    Although I'm not fat/obese by any means, I feel like posting some needless information. I went to a personal trainer for the first time about a week and a half ago, and they weighed me with a fancy electronic scale that looked like one of those really expensive and pointless things you'd find in the sims. Point is, I had about 7% body fat. When I asked the trainer if that was a good or a bad thing, he said that your body requires about 3% body fat to survive. So now, I'm paranoid of my weight in an unusual way. D:

Woah, don't take what they said wrong. I hope by paranoid you mean you are paranoid that you are too lean. 3% to survive means just that, to barely survive you need a minimum of 3%. A 21 y.o. male is considered lean from 3-7%, ideal from 7-14%, and average from 14-20%. Do NOT start trying to push yourself lower for fear of fat when you're at 7% especially if you like how you look and are healthy. 7% is my goal but absolutly no lower for me.

sum10fishy on
  • Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Woah, don't take what they said wrong. I hope by paranoid you mean you are paranoid that you are too lean. 3% to survive means just that, to barely survive you need a minimum of 3%. A 21 y.o. male is considered lean from 3-7%, ideal from 7-14%, and average from 14-20%. Do NOT start trying to push yourself lower for fear of fat when you're at 7% especially if you like how you look and are healthy. 7% is my goal but absolutly no lower for me.

Don't worry, the paranoia is that I'll wake up one morning and not be able to move because my body won't function. lol?

Pablo the Penguin on
    edited July 2009
    still dieting for pax
    been eating ALL THE GOOD STUFFFF like almonds etc. Cutting back pastas, white rice, bread, sweeets, meat....
    T.T + 1 hr of exercise a day with pilates etc.

annnd I went from 130 to 120. ten more pounds to gooo.

How tall are you?

Sumi on
  • ScarletArcherScarletArcher Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey PAXers!

I really wanted to lose 20 lbs in time for PAX, just because that first weekend in September seemed like a nice goal on my calendar. I tend to eat fairly healthy, but I don't exercise nearly enough. Especially lately, I've been slacking off. So, I'm hoping posting here and reading other people's experiences will inspire me!

ScarletArcher on
  • MrPulsarMrPulsar Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think I'm actually going to USE PAX to lose weight. Seriously, walking around in the convention like 12 hours a day non stop.... I lose like 10lbs every year from PAX. :D

MrPulsar on
  • BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I have gained 80 pounds since I finished college, meh bad boy. :x

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Still trucking along, although a lot slower since vacation. I know I've got to work a lot more at it for the next month through to PAX, though. Anyone else having trouble with motivation this month?

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
    edited July 2009
    Blech. Packed on about 10 lbs in a week of vacation. Too much cake, M&M's and other crap. Oh, well. What do they say about falling off the horse? Something about getting kicked in the head?

sum10fishy on
  • Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, I joined the gym, and managed a month before I slacked off. Couldn't make it tally with the 5 hours-a-day of commuting, I was too tired at work to carry on, let alone when I got home from the office! So yep, completely failed here. Thankfully I'm not massively overweight, just carrying around a beer gut... Moving closer to work in three weeks so things should slowly improve from then, but sadly not in time for PAX! PAX-East maybe doable though....

Very impressed with everyone that's managed to keep it up though!

Frightfully English on
  • JDDMichaelJDDMichael Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I reached my broken promises limit in February, and have lost 40lbs since then. It is probably closer to 50 pounds of fat and such, but I've been lifting and running since then and have gained some muscle.

Most of my weight loss actually came from changing how I eat, which was somewhat shocking to be honest. The exercise certainly hasn't hurt, but I had never realized my dietary habits were that bad.

6 months later, I have to tell you all... Every step of this process has sucked. The gains (or losses, as the case may be) are wonderful, and I have transitioned from t-shirts when swimming in public to not being embarrassed if my shirt is off. Proud of what I have won't happen for a while yet, since I know a lifetime of schlub has caused me to set my bar a bit high.

But it has never been fun. I can't say I am full of energy (I nap more now than I ever did before), and although I continue to scrutinize my diet I am just not seeing any glaring reasons behind not being one of those people that claims to spit sunshine after working out. I actually felt like a bit of a failure because of this.

I finally embraced the fact that while there are some people that truly energize from their workouts, there are many more than just claim they do because it is the perceived expectation. We perpetuate a lie...

Once I let go of that, it made the whole process a bit easier... It is tough, tiring, and tests your stubborn perseverance every step of the way... As much as the above may sound like I am trying to be a downer, I actually found that I appreciated what I've been forcing myself to follow through with MORE because it IS hard... And I think it will always be hard on some level... And I am okay with that now that I don't expect it to be easy.

I guess I only bring it up in case there is someone else that thinks that they are the only one, and it drags them down... It may be one of that hardest things you will ever do... And it is worth every single success and failure along the way.

JDDMichael on
  • lilibatlilibat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I lost 40 pounds for the Sister of Battle costume I am doing this year. I started the last week of February and I started the costume for my goal weight so I had no choice but to make it... well I am 6 pounds out from goal but it fits. One month to get down to goal and I know I will make it.

lilibat on
    ~ lilibat
    edited August 2009
    lilibat wrote: »
    I lost 40 pounds for the Sister of Battle costume I am doing this year. I started the last week of February and I started the costume for my goal weight so I had no choice but to make it... well I am 6 pounds out from goal but it fits. One month to get down to goal and I know I will make it.

That's awesome! I'm so proud.

Sumi on
    edited August 2009

I'm on the Cosplay diet.

sum10fishy on
  • lilibatlilibat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'm on the Cosplay diet.

Yeah well, we have been doing Warhammer Fantasy costumes the last 2 years, and it was kind of ok for my Witchhunter and the Zealot was hunched over and weird anyway but I don't want to be a fat Sister of Battle. So... yeah. Whatever works to motivate though, right?

lilibat on
    ~ lilibat
    edited August 2009

I'm on the Cosplay diet.

Yeah well, we have been doing Warhammer Fantasy costumes the last 2 years, and it was kind of ok for my Witchhunter and the Zealot was hunched over and weird anyway but I don't want to be a fat Sister of Battle. So... yeah. Whatever works to motivate though, right?

Damn skippy.

sum10fishy on
This discussion has been closed.