As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Annual Post-PAX Party Dinner. THANK YOU ALL FOR AN AMAZING PARTY!

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    THGSBilliardsLounge.jpg

According to them the Billiards Lounge accommodates 100 people. It has four pool tables, two 120" projectors, a few 50" HD TVs, audio/video controls, and our own bar.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Brex123Brex123 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arco wrote: »
    THGSBilliardsLounge.jpg

According to them the Billiards Lounge accommodates 100 people. It has four pool tables, two 120" projectors, a few 50" HD TVs, audio/video controls, and our own bar.

This looks EPIC!!! I can't wait! Can PAX be tomorrow?

Brex123 on
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm really hoping I have a lot of money when PAX comes around, this is looking really promising. I kinda hope they have some good size tables in there though...

I also don't really care about having our own bartender, but I'll probably end up drinking more if we do. :)

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just want to say I <3 Arco.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blue Skittle held their pre-PAX party in the two back rooms last year, it was quite nice.

As for cost (I likely won't be attending, as I'll be with a group of friends elsewhere), 30 of us went to a bar for an after PAX dinner. The total bill ended up, including tax and gratuity already added in, at $987. We left the wait staff roughly $1300. This was just 30 people, if you get 60 (and people who are willing enough to kick in extra), I wouldn't expect you to have too much trouble getting the money for one of the backrooms at the Taphouse.

And that backroom picture that was linked, that room has its own minibar, so drinks would easily flow.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I can safely say I'd drink enough for 3. :P

Raiden333 on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My initial reaction reaction was the $40 range was probably a bit high, especially for those of us who will be doing this thing +1. On the other hand, relative to what I'm paying out for PAX already, another $100 ain't that bad.

SlickShughes on
    edited June 2009
    My initial reaction reaction was the $40 range was probably a bit high, especially for those of us who will be doing this thing +1. On the other hand, relative to what I'm paying out for PAX already, another $100 ain't that bad.
    For sure. $40/per is pretty steep. However, here's the e-mail I got from Lindsay today:

Yes the minimum does not include tax or gratuity. I'm more than willing to work with you however if you think that number is too high.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Original Message

Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:08:51
    To: Lindsay Helling<LHelling@taphousegrill.com>
    Subject: Re: Seattle Private Dining Request

Lindsay,

More stupid questions!

Is the 20% service charge and 10% tax (30% total) on top of our total
    bill at the end of the night? So, say we hit a perfect $2500 for the
    Billiards Lounge at the end of the night. Would we actually owe
    3250? I just want to be sure I'm reading everything correctly. I
    really don't want to blow this and stick anybody with a bill, myself
    included. ;)

Thanks so much!

- Joseph

So it appears that they're at least a little bit flexible when it comes to spending. This is a very good sign.

Arco on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For sure. $40/per is pretty steep. However, here's the e-mail I got from Lindsay today:

*snip*

So it appears that they're at least a little bit flexible when it comes to spending. This is a very good sign.

That's good to hear. A 20% tip is pretty normal though and if we get even close to 100 people we shouldn't have any trouble hitting the $2500 min. So I think we should be fine.

That room looks awesome. This is looking to be an awesome evening. Nice work Arco.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Very nice indeed, it's great to hear that they can be flexible with the pricing.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • DStalefishDStalefish Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    $40/person for access to everything that room brings seems like chump change to me. It's like dinner + cover charge and a night of nerdtastic fun. :P

You should also take into account that most people who partake will more than likely order drinks, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the tab skyrocketed above $2500 just from drinks alone.

DStalefish on
    [E] 09, 10E, 10P, 11E, 11P, 12E
    edited June 2009
    DStalefish wrote: »
    $40/person for access to everything that room brings seems like chump change to me. It's like dinner + cover charge and a night of nerdtastic fun. :P

You should also take into account that most people who partake will more than likely order drinks, and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the tab skyrocketed above $2500 just from drinks alone.
    Oh, I'm absolutely sure it will. My concern is that I'd really like to have people pay ahead of time, so that we don't have to settle the bill at the end of the night. That would suck. But I'm not sure if that's possible.

Arco on
  • DaNerdDaNerd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you have to pay for drinks at the bar, or is it just added to the tab?

If you pay at the bar, there's no reason you can't have everyone pay up front. At least, none that I see.

DaNerd on
    Buy a small corporation and use it to manufacture love. Then give the love to her at a bulk discount
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that's chump change for that kind of space. We need to find some way to make sure we get enough people committed to showing up though.

Perhaps a non-paypal account somewhere that accepts payments? Paypal has a nasty habit of closing accounts that suddenly balloon into thousands of dollars.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited June 2009
    Also, I volunteer to bring my 360 + games to the event for public use. Got Castle Crashers and a few other good 4 player games that are slipping my memory at the moment.

And I'm willing to get any XBLA game I don't have that someone wants for the event if they offer to pay for one of my drinks. =P

But honestly? I think two of the TVs should have 2 360s system linked for some Virtual On Oratorio Tangram action.

Raiden333 on
    edited June 2009
    Grr. Okay, let me get your guys' opinion on something.

The average price for dinner at this place is around $20. They have dinner entrees as cheap as $12, as expensive as $30. If we go with a pre-arranged buffet style menu, it's going to be $38/person and it's going to be a choice of two entrees, two sides, two salads, rolls, coffee, tea, and soda.

For $38, would you feel like that was a) too expensive or b) too limited? Would you rather just have an open menu and a spending minimum, where you had to spend X amount of money but you could do that however you wanted?

Ultimately I would really like to do that. It would be really neat if everybody just paid like $35, got a ticket or something, and that ticket entitled them to $35 worth of stuff, with anything above that being up to them, on their own dime.

I really don't know how to handle the finances for this thing. I can't decide which avenue is best.

Arco on
    edited June 2009
    Open menu with spending minimum would be good imo.

I don't think $38 would be too limited for what you mentioned, but for me personally it's a bit too expensive. Granted, if I had the extra money to throw out for it, I wouldn't mind.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited June 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Open menu with spending minimum would be good imo.
    I might have an absolutely genius plan in mind that would accomplish exactly this, without leaving anything to chance and without making anybody buy anything they don't want. We'll see what Lindsay says. Stay tuned!

Arco on
    edited June 2009
    Ooh, I will look forward to hearing about this!

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Taphouse, last year had good food, beer and friends. I hope it goes off big again this year.
    THGSBilliardsLounge.jpg

I kept looking in there, as I would walk to and from the bathroom. Thinking how awesome it'd be, if there was a PAX party there.

Highfire on
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oo man, that's a real nice looking room.

Wormdundee on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that place looks excellent. I would spend whatever's necessary to attend a bigass PAX wrap party there =)

Rius on
  • shugaraeshugarae Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    Yeah, that place looks excellent. I would spend whatever's necessary to attend a bigass PAX wrap party there =)

Agreed! However, my group would likely end up being just me+1 because the other two are starving college students D:

shugarae on
    Omeganaut class of '08. Fuck Peggle. Omeganaut class of '17 West. Fuck Rainbow Road.
    The Best in Terms of Pants on JCCC3
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Side note: Isn't that where Sessler had his B-Day party last year?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited June 2009
    Okay. So my genius idea wasn't so genius. I thought that perhaps I could collect a ticket price from everyone, and in exchange for the ticket price, I could hand out pre-loaded Taphouse gift cards so that people could spend the money however they wanted. However, Lindsay informed me that this would be a logistical nightmare for them, and it wasn't really practical. She's probably right.

SO.

I just talked with Lindsay on the phone, and basically we're kind of stuck with the buffet option. I don't like it, because I really don't think it's a good value. The buffet is $35 per person, and I feel like for $35 you can get a hell of a lot more off of the regular menu. But because of the absolute chaos that would ensue if 100 people all put in a regular dinner order at the same time, we have to go with the buffet.

Going with the buffet isn't the end of the world. The food will still be awesome. Lindsay convinced me that it's really the only sane way to handle feeding 100 people at the same time, and she's probably right about that. Going out to dinner with 10 people is a nightmare when it comes to ordering, paying, etc. 100 people ordering dinner individually would be complete and utter chaos. So even if it isn't the best value, it's sort of a necessary compromise because of the size of the event.

Lindsay also informed me that she's waiving the bartender fee ($125) and audio/video fee ($100) because of the size of our party and how awesome we are (she might not have said that last part).

So, after speaking with her at length about the event, I think this is what we're going to do:

1) Lindsay has set aside the Billiards Lounge (100 people) and Club Room (50 people) for us, for that day. We're locked in as far as that goes. If we want the venue, it's ours. We don't have to fill both, she's just holding them because she knows how insane PAX gets.

2) We're going to shoot for right around 100 people. This is the maximum number of people the Billiards Lounge holds, and this brings the cost of admittance to the party down to about $35.00 each.

3) I'm going to open a PayPal or Brown Paper Tickets or something in the very near future and start collecting money from you guys. $35 gets you dinner and access to the party, and all the awesomeness it entails. You can't come unless you pre-pay and pre-register with me. I will keep meticulously detailed records of everyone who contributes, how much, when, etc. However this ends up happening, it won't just be "send Arco a check." It will be through something electronic, with receipts, and stamps of authenticity, and such.

4) There is no deposit or anything like that for the rooms, but there is a spending minimum. That's why we need 100 people. Basically Taphouse's party contract says that in exchange for occupying their awesome facilities, by the end of the night we have to spend, at the minimum, $3500. No deposit, no fee for the room, nothing like that... they just need $3500 by the time the party is over.

This means two things. One, it means that we're not on the hook for anything YET. We can bail at any time and it won't cost anyone anything. There's no non-refundable deposit or anything like that.

Two, it means that there is a certain amount of money that we have to have before the party can begin.

It is a hard and fast requirement of this dinner that I give them a check in advance of the party for $3500. I don't want to leave any part of that minimum up to chance. I have absolutely no doubt that you guys will eat and drink (mostly drink) your way into poverty at this party, and so will I, but I'm a college kid. However minuscule, the possibility of not meeting the spending minimum and being on the hook for hundreds of dollars is something that I simply can't open myself up to. PAX is already a very large expenditure for me, and I imagine it is for a lot of you, too. I don't want anyone left open to that kind of responsibility and risk. If we're doing this thing, we're handing them a check for the spending minimum before the first appetizer is consumed.

So, there is goal of $3500 in pre-registrations that must be met by September. If this goal is not met, there will need to be some restructuring. I'm not even going to think about it now, because I'm pretty optimistic that we can meet this goal.

I'm editing the front page with all the relevant logistical details of the party. Please look for them there, and please look for a link or something to a PayPal, or Brown Paper Tickets, or something like that in the very near future.

Also, as always, if anyone has any suggestions, criticisms, comments, etc. this is the thread for them. It is entirely possible that I'm monumentally screwing this up. It may even be likely. So if you've got anything constructive to add, please add it.

And finally, thank you for contributing everything and anything that you've contributed thus far. I look forward to taking your money and throwing the best dinner party PAX has ever seen with all of you in September.

Arco on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This sounds good Arco. A google spreadsheet linked on the OP might be the best option to keep track of who's going, who paid, who's bringing who. This way everyone can see if they've paid or not and know that you and them are on the same page.

My one question about this whole thing will be how do you plan to keep people out who haven't paid? Or at least keep them from eating all the food. Given that it is PAX I could see a lot of people just showing up, not maliciously but just finding out about a cool PAX party and showing up.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited June 2009
    Well, I really can't. I doubt they're going to provide me with a bouncer and a clipboard. But it is a restaurant, not just a hotel room. I certainly wouldn't just wander in uninvited and start eating food, whereas I might at a more laid back "party" type setting.

This might require more thought and investigation on my part, but for now, I'm not really worrying about it. If we get the $3250 in pre-registrations, we're on. That's what I'm focused on right now.

Arco on
  • PinderPinder Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arco, at this point if you give me a link and an amount of money, it's yours.

Pinder on
    This signature intentionally left blank.
    edited June 2009
    Front page edited with lots of yummy details. Working on the actual money thing right now.

Someone warned against using PayPal, right?

EDIT: Pinder, I've waited 24 years to have someone say that to me.

Arco on
    edited June 2009
    Issue:
    ...The buffet is $38 per person

...this brings the cost of admittance to the party down to about $35.00 each...

How's that work now?

SlickShughes on
    edited June 2009
    Issue:
    ...The buffet is $38 per person

...this brings the cost of admittance to the party down to about $35.00 each...

How's that work now?

Ah, sorry. The number they give is just a benchmark, and they quote the buffet at $38. But I've done the math on the spending minimum that we'll need, and if we have 100 people, it's $35. My bad.

Arco on
    edited June 2009
    I think the benchmark is a minimum, not the maximum. If we order 93 buffet servings, that gets us to 3534 an we're good. If we go above that, we keep paying at 38 per. Also, does that 38 include tax/tip? I know your 3500 (actually I thought it was 3250?) included tax/tip, but if they're pricing the buffet at 38 is that all inclusive?

EDIT: Think of it this way: if 92 buffet servings covers the minimum, and we brought enough to fill both rooms (150), would the other 58 eat for free?

SlickShughes on
    edited June 2009
    It's weird. The .pdf that they provide says that the buffet pricing doesn't include tax or tip. However if one were to fill the Billiards Lounge with 100 people and charge the buffet price the Taphouse quotes, they'd be spending $3800 - well above the minimum even with tax/tip. I think the reason they provide the buffet options, priced as they are, is so that you can just turn around and charge guests the $3800, and they can meet their minimum and then some. Lindsay has said that they're flexible on the buffet. We can change stuff around on it. And really, the food options aren't that big of a deal. My initial concern is working out the pricing per person and trying to get that as low as possible.

Here's the breakdown:

Spending minimum: $2500
    Tax: 10%
    Tip: 20%
    Total (the actual minimum): $3250

I rounded up to a total of $3500 just to be safe. If we don't actually need the extra $250 for anything we can do a raffle or something. Or I can charge an admission of $32.50 to the dinner. Whichever you guys prefer.

But basically my thinking was this: we need $3500. I want the ticket price to be as low as possible. The room accommodates 100 people. Thus, $35.

Arco on
    edited June 2009
    I think you're looking at much higher cost here. The spending minimum is there because you don't have to fill the full 100. Also there are other options that would be lower cost - an appetizer thing, according to their web site, or any number of their lunch options - that wouldn't hit that at or near capacity. I don't think they price the buffet like that so you can pass the cost on, as most events organized like this would either be paid for solely by the organizer (weddings, corporate events) or charge above and beyond at a flat cost (fund raisers).

I can take a look at the pdf and try to sort things out if you want, having planned an event on this scale (wedding) before. Not trying to steal your thunder, just trying to help.

SlickShughes on
    edited June 2009
    Oh no, help. Please.

The way it was explained to me was this: there is a food/beverage minimum for the room, and that's all. Enough food/drinks must be ordered to meet this minimum. No deposit, no fee, nothing like that. All they need at the end of the night is the minimum, which in this case is $2500. Add to that tax and gratuity to get the actual minimum of $3250.

So if there was 1 person in that room, they would need to spend $3250. If there's 100 and each person pays an equal share (our situation), each person pays $32.50. Again, I'm rounding up to $3500 to be safe, but let's run with $3250 here.

So basically if we hand them a check for $3250, we're set. And in exchange for that we get the room and a buffet. We can work with the restaurant to engineer the buffet however we want to meet our cost - in this case, of $35/head. As I understand it, the buffet options they provide in the .pdf are suggested, pre-engineered packages designed to make meeting the spending minimum simplistic. If we have 100 guests and a spending minimum of $3250, we can work with the restaurant to engineer a $32.50 buffet.

The only reason that people can't just order dinner like regular customers, in an attempt to spend a total of $3250, is because of how chaotic that would be. Hypothetically speaking if they could just conjure food out of thin air, there would be no need for a buffet or buffet pricing. People could just order, wrack up spending, and be done. I asked Lindsay about this when I suggested the gift card thing, and she said that it would be a great option, but they just can't take individual orders from 100 people. It's a logistical nightmare. She also said that it's risky for large groups to do this, because the spending might come up short. But they do have groups that do this, where they don't pre-pay in advance. You don't have to go with the buffet to get the room, as long as the restaurant walks away with the minimum. The reason we're not doing that is because at the end of the night, someone's name and credit card (probably mine) are on record, and they need the minimum.

If we don't get close to 100 guests, this quickly becomes unrealistically expensive. I think that's what you're getting at with "the spending minimum is there because you don't have to fill the full 100." You're exactly right. At 50 guests, the cost per guest would necessarily be double what the cost per guest is at 100 guests. 100 is a hypothetical goal that I've set, in an effort to bring this per person cost down as low as possible. That's why I stressed the importance of pre-registration and 100 guests on the front page. If we go over 100 guests we actually get into a sticky situation where we then have ANOTHER spending minimum to meet - the minimum for the other 50 person space, the Club Room. Basically we can either do 100 guests (or very close to that), or 150 guests (or very close to that). Any number too far from those benchmarks drives the per person cost up to unrealistic levels. We can actually do 50 guests also and go with the Club Room, which is a smaller version of the Billiards Lounge, but my assumption is that we'll have no problem getting past 50.

I'm attempting to be as transparent as possible. By all means, help and scrutinize. I have no thunder to steal. I just want this to work.

Arco on
    edited June 2009
    If they can set us up a buffet at $35 a head (actually $35 with tax/tip, so really $27), that's perfect. I imagine it won't be the menu on the pdf or the website. Closest option on their website is the:
    Appetizer Buffet
    Select any three platters and any three appetizers for your event

Not to say we have to get that exactly, but it won't likely be much more. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that. On the other hand, it seems they like us/you, so who's to say. Also, this is not inclusive of any drinks, which I imagine there will be many. Given that they may cut us a break.

SlickShughes on
    edited June 2009
    Well, count me as an RSVP no matter what the cost ends up being. I'll send in the cash for a ticket whenever it's set up.

Raiden333 on
    edited June 2009
    If they can set us up a buffet at $35 a head (actually $35 with tax/tip, so really $27), that's perfect. I imagine it won't be the menu on the pdf or the website. Closest option on their website is the:
    Appetizer Buffet
    Select any three platters and any three appetizers for your event

Not to say we have to get that exactly, but it won't likely be much more. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that. On the other hand, it seems they like us/you, so who's to say. Also, this is not inclusive of any drinks, which I imagine there will be many. Given that they may cut us a break.
    Yeah, exactly. I get the impression that you can go with the pre-engineered stuff on the .pdf to make things easy on yourself, or you can do something custom. We're doing something custom.

Arco on
    edited June 2009
    Hopefully I won't have to wait too long until I can pay up, but I am all in on this. Oh, I'll also be getting this on the Community DVD.

Now Raiden333 mentioned bringing some X360's, did they confirm that we can do this? I'm down for Castle Crashers (finally got my 360 working a couple weeks ago, got the game, then the console took a shit on me before I was able to finish it) or some Rock Band / Guitar Hero.

One more question, sorry if it's a dumb one or if it's been answered. Will this be 21+?

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    edited June 2009
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Hopefully I won't have to wait too long until I can pay up, but I am all in on this. Oh, I'll also be getting this on the Community DVD.

Now Raiden333 mentioned bringing some X360's, did they confirm that we can do this? I'm down for Castle Crashers (finally got my 360 working a couple weeks ago, got the game, then the console took a shit on me before I was able to finish it) or some Rock Band / Guitar Hero.

One more question, sorry if it's a dumb one or if it's been answered. Will this be 21+?
    Lindsay suggested we bring consoles. It's confirmed. 2 120" projection screens that we can hook things up to. So I'm kind of thinking a Wii and a 360, but that's a detail for later.

I actually haven't checked if it's 21+. I will do that now.

You shouldn't have to wait very long to pay. Really, I'm just trying to figure out an option that's user friendly for you guys. I could have you PayPal money to me directly right now, but it's not very user friendly, no e-mail receipt, etc.

Arco on
This discussion has been closed.