As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[DDO] D&D Online now free to play!

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I know it's offtopic, but I just looked at the 4th ed ruleset. Yearly new Player's, DMGs and MM's? WotC have obviously been taking notes from Hasbro, the fucking pirates.

:arrow:

Undead Scottsman on
  • DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Whee, I got into the beta.
    Now to try it out.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just got in also, is there a list of PAers?

Jeix on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    2623.jpg

eugh

so playing this is free in the sense that standing outside an arena while a band is playing inside is seeing the show for free

but hey, fuck it, i'll give it a shot anyways, i liked the beta alright

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited June 2009
    My Wizard with 8 int and 18 str is so spiffy.
    I put all skill points into Swim, Climb, Listen, Spot etc.

Lets see how far I can go with this character.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    My Wizard with 8 int and 18 str is so spiffy.
    I put all skill points into Swim, Climb, Listen, Spot etc.

Lets see how far I can go with this character.

:lol:

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • CaligoCaligo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Woo hoo, I'm in the beta. Who wants to do a 5 party team of all spellcasters?

Caligo on
    edited June 2009
    I'm up for it once I get this damn game working. It has corrupted the install twice now.

Jeix on
  • JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just got my CB invite, installing now... hopefully I'll get to log in before work.

Also, don't forget that there are two codes in the activation email, one beta key and a points code for the DDOStore.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Invite Get! I'll be downloading when I get home and playing once the kid is in bed. Very curious about this as I bought a copy of this game for $5 long ago on a whim but never used the code.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    None for me *cry*

Fryhole on
    edited June 2009
    I want to play as a Devil or a Demon :(

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I decided to try out the free trial now that I am thinking about the game again.

Rogue is still kinda fun. Played a couple dungeons where trap disarming was VERY important.

Although honestly, I think traps shouldn't go off when a rogue is in sneak mode.

-edit-

Hey look, beta invite.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wait what beta

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited June 2009
    Useless skills should be removed.
    Who needs Climb, Swim, Jump etc.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Useless skills should be removed.
    Who needs Climb, Swim, Jump etc.

Not knowing what those do I will agree that at least jump sounds dumb. Who can't jump? Why would I need a skill for that? Swimming and climbing make more sense - if they are used in the game to good purpose that is.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    Cayl the rogue, done with the main questline in the starting village.

Kharzim the cleric, not yet started.

Playing more later.

Echo on
    edited June 2009
    So I installed the game, which took just a couple minutes, and it let me log in while it was still downloading with the manager. I started making a character and then got pulled away from the PC. By the time I get back it had timed out and I was booted. I launch the game again and this time it is downloading 19,000 update files. What gives?

Dr. Face on
    edited June 2009
    That happened to me too, except after I got done with all those files I couldn't log in, Error 201

So I uninstalled, and hit play once the first update was done, then it launched the dnd window and downloaded all those files again. Error 201

So I let the turbine downloader download everything the third time and it worked.

Jeix on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Okay, I am bound to the NDA, but christ have I facepalmed a lot tonight.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also in the beta

hoping guru got in cause we gonna throw down as a melee with a spellcaster team.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
    edited June 2009
    The problem with D&D = People clueless about the System would either make default characters or custom a character that ends up meh.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Having just played the first few areas in the free trial, and now playing again in the beta, I will say there are a few minor interface changes I am liking.

Obviously NDA means I can't go into detail.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited June 2009
    I am annoyed that the intro movie isn't downloadable with that client.
    And I can't find it on their website.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem with D&D = People clueless about the System would either make default characters or custom a character that ends up meh.

The fact that the whole aggro system is tied into one skill and that isn't made clear in BIG FUCKING GLOWING LETTERS at character creation is an example of how even knowing 3rd ed. D+D inside and out isn't really helpful at times.

Robman on
    edited June 2009

The fact that the whole aggro system is tied into one skill and that isn't made clear in BIG FUCKING GLOWING LETTERS at character creation is an example of how even knowing 3rd ed. D+D inside and out isn't really helpful at times.

Yup, you can make retarded characters in DDO.
    Like a 18 str, 8 int Wizard or a 18 int, 8 str Fighter.
    Not to mention all those useless skills that nobody put points into like swim,jump,listen,spot etc.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You've obviously not played the game at higher levels Dis. Jump is great for increasing the distance your character can jump. Good for making some fantastic leaps to places no one else can reach. Listen and spot are also very important to "seeing" hidden and invisible creatures before they can get a round of surprise attacks on you.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jumping is the best thing. my halfling specialized in it and he could jump on top of buildings and crap. he was called fleaman and he wore mithril plate armor and wielded a greatsword. goood tiiiimes

too bad the game itself is iffy

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited June 2009

Yup, you can make retarded characters in DDO.
    Like a 18 str, 8 int Wizard or a 18 int, 8 str Fighter.
    Not to mention all those useless skills that nobody put points into like swim,jump,listen,spot etc.

I took listen and spot on my rogue, mostly because I usually do that in D&D (for rogues that is). Most any other character they are ignored unless they have extra points to sink into something. Helps finding traps and secret doors, and invisible enemies as someone mentioned.

Dr. Face on
    edited June 2009
    Spot is very good, secret doors all over the place in this game. I wasn't griping that the skills were useless, I was just caught out of left field about four levels in that I wasn't taking the tanking skill, and I'd pretty much fucked up my character because of that.

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    Spot is very good, secret doors all over the place in this game. I wasn't griping that the skills were useless, I was just caught out of left field about four levels in that I wasn't taking the tanking skill, and I'd pretty much fucked up my character because of that.

What are the tank classes? Paladin makes sense, but does fighter work too?

Dr. Face on
    edited June 2009
    Wizards are good tanks too.

SkyCaptain on
    edited June 2009
    Low-level rogues. :P

AC 19, yo.

Echo on
    edited June 2009
    I'm serious. There are tankmages in DDO that do very well keeping aggro through intimidate and damage. At higher levels they can stoneskin, shield, and all kinds of spells. Most of them use a great axe or something to attack with, saving their SP for self-buffs.

SkyCaptain on
    edited June 2009
    Me too. I don't have aggro? Oh hey, thanks for the sneak attacks. Now I have.

Echo on
    edited June 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Paladins and Fighters are the "tanks". I didn't know intimidate was the tank skill so I didn't take it because lolrp.

Robman on
    edited June 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »

Paladins and Fighters are the "tanks". I didn't know intimidate was the tank skill so I didn't take it because lolrp.

Intimidate is the aggro builder then? I made a paladin and will likely have to remake him then. No loss as I never logged him in.

Dr. Face on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I believe Intimidate is your basic taunt and aggro bread and butter. Bluff or w/e is your aggro dump. It's a fucking dumb system and bringing MMO tactics into D+D is stupid.

Robman on
  • HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I believe Intimidate is your basic taunt and aggro bread and butter. Bluff or w/e is your aggro dump. It's a fucking dumb system and bringing MMO tactics into D+D is stupid.

Bluff is an aggro dump?

How the fuck does that make any sense?

*Sneak Attack Max Damage*

Rogue: "I swear to God it wasn't me"

Havelock on
    edited June 2009
    Havelock wrote: »

Bluff is an aggro dump?

How the fuck does that make any sense?

*Sneak Attack Max Damage*

Rogue: "I swear to God it wasn't me"

"He did it."

Dr. Face on
This discussion has been closed.