As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics Thread! Not a dream! Not a hoax! Possibly an imaginary story!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    holy crap, that is a really terrible costume design

I can't imagine how stupid that would've looked on screen

Centipede Damascus on
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    better than what happened though

Robcham on
    edited June 2009
    In regards to what Deadpool looked like? Ehhhhhh.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Jesus Christ I know this is old news but Warren Ellis is goddamn insane

I hadn't realized that I had missed two thirds of his Hellblazer run so I figured I'd read it

I got a six part story where John tracks down his ex-girlfriend's killer, eventually beating the shit out of him, giving him a couple hits of acid, and then shutting him in the morgue drawer with her room-temperature, leaky corpse

And the dialog in that scene takes it to a whole new plane of "oh Jesus what the"

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    You think that's insane, go check out his blog.

Centipede Damascus on
    edited June 2009
    No no

I'm good

(Also the very next story is another of his, this time about a room where this man has basically done nothing but kill people for 20 years and now the room is so soaked with death and violence that when police try to go in there and arrest him they just rip each other apart

literally)

Me Too! on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    His blog is like his writing

Only with more graphic pictures

Alternately just read Crooked Little Vein

Straightzi on
    edited June 2009
    Read that too

The first time I have ever truly been dumbfounded by a book

Me Too! on
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Probably late to the party with this bit of news but...
    Issue #54 will also mark Doctor Voodoo's exit from the pages of “New Avengers,” at least for the time being. “To my excitement, the character got his own series,” Bendis confirmed. “He's going to come back into my book in a little bit, but not right now. I have some unfinished business with other characters that I want to attend to and I think Doctor Voodoo needs the full attention on him right now. If the character hadn't been picked up I would have kept him in the book just to keep the ball rolling. Once the ball was rolling though it became, 'Yay! I get to read a Doctor Voodoo book!'”

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21637
    newavn054008scol.jpg

Owenashi on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »

I hadn't realized that I had missed two thirds of his Hellblazer run so I figured I'd read it

I got a six part story where John tracks down his ex-girlfriend's killer, eventually beating the shit out of him, giving him a couple hits of acid, and then shutting him in the morgue drawer with her room-temperature, leaky corpse

And the dialog in that scene takes it to a whole new plane of "oh Jesus what the"

It works, though, because it's Constantine. If there was one person in comics I'd never fuck with, it's definitely Constantine.

Shorty on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Redeemer wrote: »
    Early concept art for Deadpool in the Wolvie movie

medium_3634555113_1a022df43d_o.jpg

Armpit mold

Who comes up with this shit.

sarukun on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Check out my design for Deadpool."

"What the hell? It's a dude with samurai swords in combat fatigues with the arms cut off. That's bullshit."

"Psh. That costume he wears is awful, this is way more true-to-life."

"Make it look more like the costume, dammit, or you're fired."

"Fine, here

*scribble*scribble*scribble*

Okay!? He's wearing like a hat or something!
    "

"..."

sarukun on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bought the second deluxe edition for Y:TLM

so good

DrIanMalcolm on
    edited June 2009
    Shorty wrote: »
    Me Too! wrote: »

It works, though, because it's Constantine. If there was one person in comics I'd never fuck with, it's definitely Constantine.

Definitely. Constantine is just a bastard when he gets pissed off

Me Too! on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh hey, they're making another Human Target TV series, and it has Jackie Earle Haley.

JoeUser on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It looks it pretty good. Plus it has Doc Cottle. And Chi McBride.

Bloods End on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Probably late to the party with this bit of news but...
    Issue #54 will also mark Doctor Voodoo's exit from the pages of “New Avengers,” at least for the time being. “To my excitement, the character got his own series,” Bendis confirmed. “He's going to come back into my book in a little bit, but not right now. I have some unfinished business with other characters that I want to attend to and I think Doctor Voodoo needs the full attention on him right now. If the character hadn't been picked up I would have kept him in the book just to keep the ball rolling. Once the ball was rolling though it became, 'Yay! I get to read a Doctor Voodoo book!'”

Fucking A.

Crimsondude on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Did he get an honorary doctorate for becoming sorcerer supreme?

DMAC on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sure. Why not.

Just probably not from Arizona State. Not enough life experience.

Crimsondude on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, Brother Voodoo is now the Sorcerer Supreme and is called DOCTOR Voodoo?

Vargas Prime on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys, does Tintin deserve a place in here? Because I'm rereading my brothers Tintin collections and they are absolutely fascinating. Some of them have cool historical notes that put them in context, too.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Guys, does Tintin deserve a place in here? Because I'm rereading my brothers Tintin collections and they are absolutely fascinating. Some of them have cool historical notes that put them in context, too.

Hell yes. Especially the racist bits.

Vargas Prime on
    edited June 2009

I've been thinking a lot about the ostensible racism in Tintin, though

The non-white ethnicities are always drawn in the most offensively caricatured way possible

But whenever colonialism or white cruelty shows up, Tintin leaps to the defense of the natives. In The Blue Lotus, he stops a fat white british man from beating a rickshaw driver with his cane, and then the rickshaw driver's brother smuggles him out of the city later.

It's weird, the racial caricatures are more of a means of identification then dehumanizition, because Herge regularly made ethnic characters humanized contributors to the adventure worthy of recognition

Except black people, I think he may not have liked them so much

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DMAC wrote: »
    Did he get an honorary doctorate for becoming sorcerer supreme?

Honorary doctorate from Voodoo University

JoeUser on
    edited June 2009

I've been thinking a lot about the ostensible racism in Tintin, though

The non-white ethnicities are always drawn in the most offensively caricatured way possible

But whenever colonialism or white cruelty shows up, Tintin leaps to the defense of the natives. In The Blue Lotus, he stops a fat white british man from beating a rickshaw driver with his cane, and then the rickshaw driver's brother smuggles him out of the city later.

It's weird, the racial caricatures are more of a means of identification then dehumanizition, because Herge regularly made ethnic characters humanized contributors to the adventure worthy of recognition

Except black people, I think he may not have liked them so much

It's true. It gets a bad rap, but it was just a sign of the times for the most part. I mean, you look at any American comics, or even Tezuka's work from far enough back, you see some shit that either makes you cringe with uncomfortability or laugh harder than most would find appropriate.

Vargas Prime on
    edited June 2009
    Honestly, I think the Tintin stories are sort of representative of the more liberal aspects of racial perceptions around the turn of the century

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Newsarama's got the preview for the next issue of Uncanny X-Men up on their site. The last two pages really do well to perk one's interest in reading this specific comic.
    UNCX512_int-5.jpg
    UNCX512_int-6.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=28809

Owenashi on
    edited June 2009
    Well, I know some of the more "offensive" stuff was subsequently redone years later, at least in the cases where Herge actually acknowledged that he was maybe a little out of line.

A lot of the stuff from the late 30's and after is more culturally aware. I think it was just the really early stuff from the early 30's that was suspect. I've never read any of the actual original early stories, so I couldn't say.

Vargas Prime on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So the local Diamond distribuitor is moving, which somehow screws up all of the graphic novels and stuff. No Won Ton Soup 2. Dammit.

DouglasDanger on
    edited June 2009
    Well, I know some of the more "offensive" stuff was subsequently redone years later, at least in the cases where Herge actually acknowledged that he was maybe a little out of line.

A lot of the stuff from the late 30's and after is more culturally aware. I think it was just the really early stuff from the early 30's that was suspect. I've never read any of the actual original early stories, so I couldn't say.

Yeah, I just discussed them with my brother, and he says that Herge was pretty much a fascist back in the '30s. White mans burden sorta jazz. It wasn't until after WWII that the Tintin stuff became more liberal.

I'm gonna take some time soon to compare the early tintins and the late ones.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Goddamn, Destroyer 3 was awful.

DouglasDanger on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Newsarama's got the preview for the next issue of Uncanny X-Men up on their site. The last two pages really do well to perk one's interest in reading this specific comic.
    UNCX512_int-5.jpg
    UNCX512_int-6.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=28809

That looks wonderful.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

edited June 2009
    Pretty sure I never got Incognito 3, so I can't read number four until I get it. Dammit! Comix were a total bust this week! Sonofabitch, goddamn, shit, etc.

DouglasDanger on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    I really think Bagley should be doing like, Teen Titans

only they'd have to give Teen Titans a non shitty writer and I don't know that they want to do that

DJ Eebs on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd like to see Bagley draw The Flash, or whatever's going to come out of Rebirth

Still though I look forward to it

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so

Invincible 63

goddamn you kirkman

goddamn you

Robcham on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    get ready for eight more years of plot over story

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited June 2009
    Anyone up for a pair of preview pages from next week's Guardians Of The Galaxy?
    gotg157.jpg
    gotg158.jpg

Owenashi on
This discussion has been closed.