As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limp [DOODLE]

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    loomismodel.jpg

figured i'd do another loomis proportion study. went a lot better than my last one.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    First head seems way small Orik, which is weird, considering you followed the guide lines. It's not wide enough, I think.

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    well. easily fixed. thanks, tam.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It feels to me like the torso is too wide.

Metalbourne on
    edited June 2009
    could that be because the head is small

Orikaeshigitae on
  • PennyfreqsPennyfreqs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Something completely different that I actually finished off of a good sketch done while watching Taken. 2hours. Bash it!

mangun2.jpg

Pennyfreqs on
    You don't have to be wrong for me to be right.
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just some work doodles. Working more on adding depth through foreshortening and shadows, and trying my hand at drawing women, two things I suck at.

Sketchbook30.jpg

Sketchbook31.png

Sketchbook32.jpg

Not sure why there's that weird blurriness and pixelation on the top two, and I don't care enough to fix it.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    could that be because the head is small

I guess so. If you're trying to draw a midget of heroic proportions.

(like your mom)

Metalbourne on
    edited June 2009
    are you being serious, i can't tell

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2009
    One thing I've noticed with your stuff, Munch, is that you're good at rendering and inking parts separately, but when it comes to the point where you have to put it together into a whole, it sometimes falls apart.

For instance, the guy on the last page behind the green scritchy. The leg looks great. The upper chest area looks good. The arms are good, especially the one further away. The inking is great and controlled. However, all together it looks very very wonky, like a Frankenstein monster made out of other body part doodles.

I can't tell if you used guidelines or not for him, but the guideline figures on the top right of that same page have alot more character and structure than the previously mentioned character, as well as more movement and excitement.

That being said, I love your inking. Tell me your secrets. :)

Pennyfreqs on
    edited June 2009

Well, no, but it does feel like the shoulders are too wide.

Metalbourne on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pennyfreqs wrote: »
    First hour of a WIP doodle, I want to turn it into a finished piece, which, for me in Photoshop, is almost unheard of. Current problems I'm having with this piece are the overlay of the hand on the face, and the background. I know you're supposed to begin with the composition laid out as a whole, but I started this as a concept/experiment piece. Other problems I have with in general that show in this are skin tones and light direction/refraction.

Also, first post, long time lurker, hi all! Big fan, McGibs.

upperbodyrain.gif

might help
    2767721736_1e95d14948.jpg
    man-hand-over_~IS098Q243.jpg

Leggraphics on
    edited June 2009

Well, no, but it does feel like the shoulders are too wide.

I think if you were drawing someone like Patrick Warburton, the shoulders would be okay. But the chesticles are kinda far apart if they're supposed to be muscle. The way they're drawn makes them look...boobular.

Pennyfreqs on
    edited June 2009
    Danke schoen, Leg. :)

Pennyfreqs on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I did a Bob Ross.

3638083670_237c252f14.jpg

anable on
  • ForyniaForynia Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    Umm...just some Lookouts fanart doodles.

Rather, Daughter of the Eyrewood doodles.

Really liked the comic, it made me want to draw something.

I haven't drawn children in years. The first little doodle on the page was actually the last one drawn, as I began to get sick of trying to get a group image in my normal style and tried to do some strange mishmash of the way they are presented in the comic and what I normally do. It was really helpful for drawing children images of some of my original characters a few days later in a 'question and answer comic' thing.

Got a forum account since I've been meaning to forever. Figure it should be fitting my first post is both art and PA related. Ha!

Forynia on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Munch, where do you work to get free time to draw that much?!

I try to draw when things are incubating in the lab. But then things catch fire, and then theres screaming, someone from the dementia ward tries to break in, the ultra-centrifuge throws a disk through the wall...... no time to draw at all!

joshua1 on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    An update on one of those earlier doodles:
    teaknight.jpg

I love this wasser, I see him totally swinging that huge sword and missing his target, sinking the blade about halfway through a nearby tree. :)

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • sharky tsharky t LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    joshua1 wrote: »
    Munch, where do you work to get free time to draw that much?!

I try to draw when things are incubating in the lab. But then things catch fire, and then theres screaming, someone from the dementia ward tries to break in, the ultra-centrifuge throws a disk through the wall...... no time to draw at all!

I work third shift as a security guard. My time is divided between watching DVDs, reading comics, drawing, and drinking coffee. Pretty sweet gig, though the pay and hours kind of suck.
    Pennyfreqs wrote:
    One thing I've noticed with your stuff, Munch, is that you're good at rendering and inking parts separately, but when it comes to the point where you have to put it together into a whole, it sometimes falls apart.

For instance, the guy on the last page behind the green scritchy. The leg looks great. The upper chest area looks good. The arms are good, especially the one further away. The inking is great and controlled. However, all together it looks very very wonky, like a Frankenstein monster made out of other body part doodles.

I can't tell if you used guidelines or not for him, but the guideline figures on the top right of that same page have alot more character and structure than the previously mentioned character, as well as more movement and excitement.

That being said, I love your inking. Tell me your secrets.

I think a lot of that can be chalked up to bad habits I've taught myself over the past few years. When I was learning to draw by reading anatomy books and stuff, I'd just draw individual body parts over and over, trying to learn where all the muscles were, and how they moved. Even now, when I'm doodling, I tend to start off drawing a body part and then just building a figure around it. I'm usually more conscious of keeping a line of action or some dynamism in my figures if it's for something I plan to bring to completion, but I definitely need to do more gesture drawings to get some fluidity into my sketches. I'm going to be taking formal art classes for the first time in the Fall, so hopefully that'll help me in some areas I'm weakest in.

As for inking, I'm glad you like it, because I've never thought it was my strong suit. I really just use a collection of old, worn out Sharpies, technical, and brush pens to scratch around on the paper until it looks right.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    anable, i love those mountains. very Group of Seven.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    quick self portrait, making stupid face, as usual. :P
    img0003xpv.jpg

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Finnnneee Iruka. I never really realized I did all pasty ladies before, ololol.

pic124.jpg

Was goin to add a dragon hat on that for kicks, but thought that would be pretty creepy. Like, that one picture someone did of beavo kinda creepy.

wakkawa on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Different-looking, Wak! Do more different-lookin' things, pweez. :3

NightDragon on
    edited June 2009
    woah, i love it wak!
    the antlers look great!

sharky t on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Like, that one picture someone did of beavo kinda creepy.

There will be great rewards if someone can find that drawing again.

bombardier on
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    anable, i love those mountains. very Group of Seven.

That's probably more of a compliment than that painting deserves, but thank you!

anable on
    edited June 2009
    fine! fuck you!

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2009
    bombardier wrote: »
    Like, that one picture someone did of beavo kinda creepy.

There will be great rewards if someone can find that drawing again.

I think this is something I missed.

Metalbourne on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ha!

"I never realized all I drew were pale ladies....

Check out this fine female specimen of a rare blackalope I drew for you."

ManonvonSuperock on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hahahaha oh Vishesus

Wak's sexy brown lady and manon's comment have made my day

Tam on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    She could be blacker, Wakk, but its a good start :P

I think Creepy bevotron pic moments can be avoided by including clothing.

Iruka on
    edited June 2009
    thank you, I'll be here all night.

but seriously, folks,
    let me take this time to make fun of Sharky and R. Action for their haircuts.

and wak, your palettes and style in your simple pasty ladies work a lot better than when you try do locally render them like in your blackalope or poison ivy picture. I think your strength lies in more flat application of few tones, and I'd like to see you tackle some different builds and ethnicities in both facial features and skin tones in that style.

ManonvonSuperock on
    edited June 2009

but seriously, folks,

and wak, your palettes and style in your simple pasty ladies work a lot better than when you try do locally render them like in your blackalope or poison ivy picture. I think your strength lies in more flat application of few tones, and I'd like to see you tackle some different builds and ethnicities in both facial features and skin tones in that style.

yeah, it's true my hair is nowhere near as cool as your avatar's mullet :P

sharky t on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I honestly didn't realize she was supposed to be black. If I spend some time looking at it, I can see it - the lips, the hair. The elements are there. She kinda falls into the category Hollywood detractors call "non-threateningly non-white". It's still excellent work, very attractive, but I do think she could be, well, blacker.

Delzhand on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah... shes not particularly dark. From the handfull of black people I've drawn, I find the high-contrast their skin has to be really interesting to shade. I think it would work really well with your style wakk, if you push the contrast of shadows and speculars.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited June 2009
    I agree with the last three comments.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    McGibs wrote: »
    Yeah... shes not particularly dark. From the handfull of black people I've drawn, I find the high-contrast their skin has to be really interesting to shade. I think it would work really well with your style wakk, if you push the contrast of shadows and speculars.

I loved getting a black model during life painting classes at Ringling - I don't know what it is, but their skin tones are just really fun to paint and always ended up with a step up in painting for me.

Wassermelone on
    edited June 2009
    fightinstance.jpg

a doodle of a character quoth and i are working on
    Finnnneee Iruka. I never really realized I did all pasty ladies before, ololol.

pic124.jpg

Was goin to add a dragon hat on that for kicks, but thought that would be pretty creepy. Like, that one picture someone did of beavo kinda creepy.
    quick self portrait, making stupid face, as usual. :P
    img0003xpv.jpg
    sharky t wrote: »
    dscf5329k.jpg

5 min self portrait

Orikaeshigitae on
  • RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

but seriously, folks,

True, it's bad, it used to be worse, see?

randomx.jpg
    Yes, i walked out in public with my hair like this.

Another stupid expression shot :P

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.