As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Count of [Chât]illon invites you to high tea.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I am posting in this thread just so that I have the little blue dot icon that makes the thread easier to find.

Now I have to say something chat-relevant.......uh.....I went hiking yesterday? For like....3-4 hours? It was cool! I saw a 3-foot long snake! Connecticut's cool, you guys.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ok, question for photoshop techies.

I have dual monitors, both have slightly differing colours. Now, I managed to calibrate them as close as I think I cxan get them, but when I drag a photoshop window from one monitor to the other, photoshop tries to compensate for the "differences" by changing the colours/contrast. So basically it's making it even more fucked then it was before.
    Anyone know of how to get photoshop CS4 to stop attempting to fix this?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you all make good art

i need me some art

maybe i should buy some of your art

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    McGibs wrote: »

I have dual monitors, both have slightly differing colours. Now, I managed to calibrate them as close as I think I cxan get them, but when I drag a photoshop window from one monitor to the other, photoshop tries to compensate for the "differences" by changing the colours/contrast. So basically it's making it even more fucked then it was before.

I wish I knew anything at all about colour profiles and calibration and shit. There are courses for it here and I am really considering taking one.

bombardier on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If it makes you feel any better, outsiders' perceptions of US culture are all too often entirely correct.

you mean you dress like this for real?

cowboy-costume-outfit.jpg

Well, not all of us as a nation, obviously- just me personally.

You know, as a kid, I didn't have that much interaction with people from the U.S. and my only exposure was through cable TV... so from age 5 - 12 I believed that everyone in that country dressed like the people from Full House. Wearing long sleeves, dress pants and shoes inside the house. Also, all houses were spotless and huge.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Wow, CS4 does that??

Do...do you have a copy of CS3? I don't think CS3 does that. (Man, CS4 compensates for monitor calibrations?? I almost don't believe it. o_O )

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    on that note, where are places i can get me some cool posters

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The AC, of course - we are the coolest posters.
    DO I HEAR AN -
    OLOL!?!!?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Check to see if your displays are set to the same color profile. If you have a dual vid card setup then you could be running dif profiles on each monitor.

Mac or PC?

edit: also what is up with gluten? I went to the grocers and a lot of things are labeled gluten-free.

PROX on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

DO I HEAR AN -
    OLOL!?!!?

yeah

that was pretty good

i laughed actually

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PROX wrote: »

Check to see if your displays are set to the same color profile. If you have a dual vid card setup then you could be running dif profiles on each monitor.

Mac or PC?

edit: also what is up with gluten? I went to the grocers and a lot of things are labeled gluten-free.

Some people are allergic to gluten.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    NibCrom wrote: »
    PROX wrote: »

Mac or PC?

Some people are allergic to gluten.

...and those people should die off; they are hurting america.

Also my solution would be to calibrate one monitor correctly and then use the other monitor to hold all your tools/pallets so you don't have to worry about it. Honestly a two monitor setup is better for coding or something like that than for photo processing. Most people that do photo processing just have one BIG monitor. That is an LCD and isn't S-IPS so it has horrible color and contrast shifts depending on view angle.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ...and those people should die off; they are hurting america.

Really, if anything is hurting america, it's the legions of uneducated proles who indiscriminately shovel calories into their pie-holes because the fucking viewscreens tell them to. The gluten allergy is more of a boon: either its going to kill those fat fucks off or make them start to think about what they're doing for once.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

DO I HEAR AN -
    OLOL!?!!?

yeah

that was pretty good

i laughed actually

B+

PROX on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Really, if anything is hurting america, it's the legions of uneducated proles who indiscriminately shovel calories into their pie-holes because the fucking viewscreens tell them to.

Full of truth-sauce.

Then again I'm known in D&D sub-forums for being a horrible person who thinks BMI is a useful tool when used correctly. Since it is an indicator for increase in health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, etc.

One of my posts from D&D :
    This JAMA article The Disease Burden Associated With Overweight and Obesity

Shows the following:
    increase in chance of the following diseases between normal and overweight categories
    Men:
    Type 2 Diabetes - 142%
    Gallbladder Disease - 75%
    Coronary heart disease - 8.5%
    High Blood Cholesterol - 33.9%
    High Blood Pressure - 45.5%
    Osteoarthritis - 75.6%

Women:
    Type 2 Diabetes - 199%
    Gallbladder Disease - 88%
    Coronary heart disease - 62%
    High Blood Cholesterol - 69%
    High Blood Pressure - 66%
    Osteoarthritis - 63%

(There were also increases in chances from the overweight to the obese category but I don't think anyone was arguing that being "BMI obese" was healthy so I didn't type those out.)

I will agree that it would be great to have a great granularity in the categories to see if 'slightly' overweight people have the same increase in health problems, but this at least shows a correlation between the overweight category and increase in a specific set of health problems.

Edit: Also, In a previous post I pointed out the problems with mortality related to BMI studies and thats exactly the type of study you linked.

Also IIRC diabetes and high blood pressure account for roughly half of health care spending in the US. If people watched the food they ate we could actually afford universal health care or at least cut insurance rates down a LOT.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    All I can see BMI being semi-useful for is displaying trends in a large number of people. It is completely stupid for individual use.

bombardier on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck all ya'll carrot-eatin' bitches. I'mma look like Brian Dennehy when I grow up, sappin' all ya'll's insurance and health care costs.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dear Grapefruit,

I am sorry you had to hear it this way, but I'm leaving you for Kiwifruit. We've bought a one-way ticket to Deliciousville, and I leave immediately. I wish you all the best in the future.

Oh, and P.S. - I'm taking the dog.

<3, Jen

NightDragon on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thought you guys might appreciate this.

A little look at how life might go in the real world if everyone treated EVERY vendor the way they treat Freelance Graphic Designers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2a8TRSgzZY

mully on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I feel like I should laugh, but I can't because its so fucking true.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well played.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    yeah. especially the bit at the end about 'show us how you did it'.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BUT THE TACOS WERE 12 DOLLARS!

This.. this isn't a taco stand, sir.

YEAH BUT LIKE .. IT'S JUST COW, RIGHT?

mully on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I find that certain types of people are drawn to certain professions.

For example, pilots tend to be flashy, outspoken, loudmouthed jovial assholes who drive corvettes and motorcycles to work.

Graphic designers on the other hand...

Well, lets just say that if pilots did all the graphic design, they'd get paid a lot more .

That, and they'd all throw a party and get blind stinking drunk every time one of them so much as drew a stick figure.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this is making me looking forward to my slightly possible future

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009

For example, pilots tend to be flashy, outspoken, loudmouthed jovial assholes who drive corvettes and motorcycles to work.

Well, lets just say that if pilots did all the graphic design, they'd get paid a lot more .

That, and they'd all throw a party and get blind stinking drunk every time one of them so much as drew a stick figure.

I like Corvettes and I'm a graphic designer.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I like Corvettes and I'm a graphic designer.

Do you own one?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well...no. :(

But it is my goal to own one by the time I'm 50. or 60.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    my father has a fascination that artist are like little emu birds who scatter away when more then 3 people walk into there presence.

I'm never going to the art store with my father again

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You mean you're going to become a pilot when you're 49?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    there was much violation

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009

:lol:

Yeah, or steal one from a pilot. At that age what have I got to lose?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The problem is, you're a graphic designer. Chances are, you're going to start out with the intention of stealing a pilot's car, but somehow end up washing it for him while he's out getting drunk with hot foreign women.

Oh yeah: and then paying the pilot for the privilege of washing his car.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The problem is, you're a graphic designer. Chances are, you're going to start out with the intention of stealing a pilot's car, but somehow end up washing it for him while he's out getting drunk with hot foreign women.

Maybe I could design a fake document that would trick him into giving it to me?

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Maybe I could design a fake document that would trick him into giving it to me?

Look, you know it doesn't work that way. Graphic design is like a super power that bends laws and accepted custom to make it worse for yourself. If you create that document, you will immediately owe the man a Corvette.

The best you can do is to draw a picture of an invoice for one corvette and then take it down to the corvette dealership, where they will only charge you the price of one corvette in order to receive nothing in return.

You see, the thing about graphic designers is that they don't know how their own abilities work.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I think I've seen Falling Down more times than any other movie.

that shit is awesome.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only ability a graphic designer has is making 14 year old girls feel akward about being fat.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    toaster you made me laugh for 3 minutes. sooo silly

edit: Wait how is that possible, I posted this 2 minutes after you

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The only ability a graphic designer has is making 14 year old girls feel akward about being fat.

Quit taking credit for things that happen naturally on their own.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone know a good, decent (preferably free) program for converting audio files?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
This discussion has been closed.