As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join a living world, even though you cease to be. [V:TM Bloodlines]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Social Entropy++
bloodlinesbox.jpg

A bunch of us have gotten the Cainite bug and been coerced into reinstalling this gem, so what the heck, you all should too.

update202tb7.jpg

What's all this then?
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines brings White Wolf's famous pen-and-paper role playing game to the back to the PC . For the first time players can explore the World of Darkness from a first person perspective in a game which utilizes Valve's striking Source Engine.

Unlike third person role playing games, Bloodlines will put you in the shoes of the character you control. You will get up close and personal with the brilliantly animated characters that populate the game world and tangled in the web of intrigue that is the staple of Troika Games' roleplaying titles.

Although set in the same universe, Bloodlines is not a sequel to the last Vampire title: Redemption.

You begin your journey this time in modern day Los Angeles as a newly embraced vampire. By creating you without the consent of your clan's Elders, your sire has violated one of vampire society's most hallowed laws. As punishment for the crime he has been put to death. Normally you would be expected to share the same fate but the newly installed Prince of Los Angeles thinks you might have some merit: you're a newly embraced vampire with no sire to guide you; you are unfamiliar with the world of vampires and their laws and customs. You would be useful and expendable pawn in his grand scheme.

You will employ a variety of firearms and skills such as computer hacking and lock picking as well as your devastating array of vampiric powers called Disciplines. And what would a game about vampires be if there wasn't some blood drinking?

You choose to play as a member of one of seven diverse and specialized vampire clans and you'll need to employ all of your preternatural skills to survive. You'll need to charm, sneak, intimidate and fight your way through the dangerous world the vampires inhabit and along the way decide just who you really owe your allegiance to.

With so many different clans, as many as 5 different endings and the ability pursue several avenues of specialization as you upgrade your character, Bloodlines will provide a great deal of replayability.

Clans?

They all see things differently.

tremere.gif
The Tremere - Cainite sorcerers and blood mages without peer.
Pro: Blood Magic!
Con: Tightly knit organization of upstarts who like to backstab one another.

brujah.gif
The Brujah - Rebels and Anarchists who like to fight the powa.
Pro: Smash first.
Con: Ask questions later.

malkavian.gif
The Malkavians - Lunatics and Seers of insight beyond their knowing.

Pro/Con: malkavian.jpg

toreador.gif
The Toreador - Artistes.

Pro: Snappy dressers.
Con: Uptight jerks.

gangrel.gif
The Gangrel - Feral vampires who prefer the wild to the city streets.

Pro: They live where the rest die.
Con: The more they frenzy(go crazy), the more they go beasty.

nosferatu.gif
The Nosferatu - outcasted vampires of nightmarish appearances.

Pros: Very tightly knit, and they look out for one another. Also, cheap living arrangements.
Cons: Those living arrangements mean the sewers. Also, walking breach of the Masquerade. They can not be seen in public without some form of disguise, whether natural or otherwise.

ventrue.gif
The Ventrue - scions of vampiric society, they keep order where otherwise there would be madness.

Pros: Born leaders, snappy dressers.
Cons: Picky eaters, and they have a nice convenient target painted on their back so the Sabbat know who to kill first.

So what makes this game special?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gl5vdnBE7w

She's one of the many charming young ladies you'll encounter.

I don't own this game, guess I can't play.

Filth and lies. It's $20 on Steam, and frequently cheaper.

I hear there's bugs!

That's why patches are your friend.

The Official (1.2) resolves most known issues. If you're feeling particularly bold and/or daring, you could get the ridiculously length 6.2 patch which fixes a whole ton of stuff and adds lots more(see link above).

So what do I play as?

tremere.jpg

You decide.

(Totally not a biased suggestion.)

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is fucking amazing.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The conclusion of business with the Voermans was like fuuuuuuuuuck

Ledneh on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Despite the problems this game had it's one of the better western RPGs around in the last five years.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is like that game on myspace.com! cool

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited June 2009
    How's the compatibility with Vista? I might reinstall if it's not too bad.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I fucking love this game and i'm going to buy it on steam right now

oh jeanette~ <3

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited June 2009
    I think everyone loves that crazy broad.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I think everyone loves that crazy broad.

I actually sided with Therese. I like a lady in a suit.

Also, concept art:
    beckett.jpg

nines-1.jpg

torey.jpg

vent.jpg

vtm1.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ~~~bought~~~
    Futore wrote: »

i'm going to replace your testicles with a pair of hot coals

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That Malkavian screenshot is one of my favourite things.

stimtokolos on
  • WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BRUJAH FOR LIFE!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    ~~~bought~~~

[tiny]oh boy a new Twilight thread![/tiny]

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Did you have the conversation with the TV?

L|ama on
    edited June 2009
    L|ama wrote: »

Did you have the conversation with the TV?

I don't remember, I played through as a Malkavian in 2004 I think. My brother and I go through phases of being really into the game.

I think I should play through as Nosferatu. That seems like it would make the biggest difference to previous playthroughs.

stimtokolos on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    ~~~bought~~~

[tiny]oh boy a new Twilight thread![/tiny]

They call them Toreador. Don't worry, they die quick.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    The haunted mansion level is the most scared I have ever been in a video game. I loved the shit out of it!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never played this game and I doubt I ever will, but from my understanding, every game should have a clan system this deep

Charles Kinbote on
  • Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why hasn't there been a vampire MMO yet?

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
    edited June 2009
    The new History feature implemented by 6.2 looks wicked.

tremere2.jpg

There's also Agent, Bar Singer, Eldritch Prodigy, and Infernalist.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    Wimble wrote: »
    The haunted mansion level is the most scared I have ever been in a video game. I loved the shit out of it!

Every time I play this game on a new file, I'll get up to there and call it a night because it has gotten late.
    Not nearly as late as I would normally go to sleep but much later than I want to play that level. I both love and hate that level for scaring the crap out of me. I think I'm getting close to not being all that scared by it, after 6 or 7 times playing it.

I really want a new Vampire game, one that doesn't need six thousand community patches to fix half the problems it has. Doesn't mean I don't love the shit out of this game, I just want a new main story as well.

stimtokolos on
    edited June 2009
    I'd much rather have a current gen co-op Vampire than an MMO.

What MMO elements do you think would be neat in a Vampire game, Dave? I hear people talk about it now and then but I just don't see it.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited June 2009
    I'd rather they make another game like Bloodlines, but with multiple supernaturals. Why be limited to the night? Be a Mage or Werewolf.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought this game, I have only played it a little though.

Blake T on
    edited June 2009
    Wimble wrote: »

Every time I play this game on a new file, I'll get up to there and call it a night because it has gotten late.
    Not nearly as late as I would normally go to sleep but much later than I want to play that level. I both love and hate that level for scaring the crap out of me. I think I'm getting close to not being all that scared by it, after 6 or 7 times playing it.

Haha, yeah. The last time I played it I managed not to throw my headphones across the room every time a pot fell over or whatever, but as soon as I get to the part where the female ghost goes "he's coming", I'm just a big hyperventilating mess until the level is complete.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'd rather they make another game like Bloodlines, but with multiple supernaturals. Why be limited to the night? Be a Mage or Werewolf.

It would also be awesome if you had different starting points/stories depending on what clan you are.

Really, when I think about the ideas I see implemented in upcoming RPGs like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, etc, I yearn for another Vampire so god damned much.

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never played this game and I doubt I ever will, but from my understanding, every game should have a clan system this deep

Why won't you play it?

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Good luck making a Mage game. Programming the magick system would be ridiculous.

Comahawk on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I didn't play it when I was really into RPGs, and in the past three years I probably haven't gotten more than 20% of the way through a singleplayer game

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2009
    "No Fair Cheating: If you cheated your states higher than possible, before meeting Jack for the first time, he will comment on this and tells you to redo the character creation process fairly; however, you can tell him that it's part of a mod.
    If you're playing a malkavian, you can insist Malkav changed your stats. (FYI, Malkav is an antediluvian and the original founder of the mad clan.)"

Malks are so awesome.

L|ama on
    edited June 2009
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh God it's Azula.

The world has gone mad.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Play as Nosferatu.

Man I really want another V:TM game to be developed.

Shifty Fister on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »

Oh God it's Azula.

The world has gone mad.

actually, that's Frankie Foster

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    edited June 2009
    Play as Nosferatu.

Man I really want another V:TM game to be developed.

I think that MMO that's been in dev for ages is still going ahead slowly, not sure though.

"in 4-5 years" from about this time two years ago, so my amazing powers of math tell me 2-3 years away. Too long. Also having very little news about it since then is bad.

Okay apparently CCP (the people that are developing it) are going to be at the european GDC in august announcing their next game.

L|ama on
  • Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damnit, turning it into an MMO seems like a stupid idea.

Shifty Fister on
  • J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Agreed with most of what has already been said - however, the amazing goddamn soundtrack to this game should also be noted.

Only ever finished it once, with my Gangrel. Tried playing as Nosferatu, but the whole hiding from everything in the world made it a pain in the ass.

J. Grant on
  • Jacob's_LadderJacob's_Ladder Registered User new member
    edited June 2009
    I was just reading about the reboot of the table top game today, this game rocked my socks, though I have to admit, losing 2 hours worth of gameplay by instant-deathing a quest kill made me want to cry.

Jacob's_Ladder on
  • Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first town in this game is so wonderful

Then you get railroaded into one horrid FPS sequence after another

Airking850 on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    malkavian.jpg
    Okay, I'm suddenly very interested in this game.

sarukun on
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh yeah, Malkavian playthrough. That one was pretty great.

I'm still unsure what clan I liked playing as more, Ventrue or Brujah. The Brujah have some kick ass abilities, but the Ventrue have class. I wonder if it's possible to make a Brujah character have a Ventrue skin...

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif