As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forum culture

14567810»

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On the cliques thing... here, at best, you will find "buddies."

But most people disagree harshly with someone on there at some point, and insults will flyyyyy.

But, -usually-, the Chat thread is neutral ground, and, so long as someone isn't actively being an idiot, the regular D&Ders won't do much more than razz, which we do to each other fairly constantly anyways.

Hell, even the people who have managed to piss off pretty much the entire group will receive civil discourse when giving it in turn.

The D&D board is a meritocracy, not an aristocracy.

Incenjucar on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Technically I started off in GnT; my first post and thread was there. But I started reading D&D the next day and have stayed since then.
    Most of us started in G&T, I guess, by this definition. People don't generally seize on the idea to go to a webcomic forum in order to talk about the Alternative Minimum Tax or whatever.
    I pretty much did.

Salvation122 on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually, the anime fixation went where the anime fixationists? went, which was to other forums in exile. Comics stayed right where it was cause of connections.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • CatoCato __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    As a new guy, I hate the regs and their inside jokes.

Cato on
  • Joseph McCarthyJoseph McCarthy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cato wrote: »

I've had this problem as well.

Joseph McCarthy on
    edited March 2007

I've had this problem as well.

Fucking secret clans.

Cato on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Porkins asked us to keep this thread on target.

I like D&D's culture over the other available subforum cultures.

Yar on
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I'm too tightly wound for SE++ and I don't have the disposable income to find G&T appealling.

People seem to see D&D as pretentious. Actually, aside from certain standards of presentation and content, D&D has very little patience for pretention.

Cato on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I love forum culture because it is human culture with a turbo booster. I can talk to so many people, make friends, piss off dipshits, and just frolic in the wires and tubes. It rocks.

Dynagrip on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I tried D&D first, but they are much too smart for me; also, not many of the threads interested me.

I like games a whole lot, but not to the point where I can remember producers names and what their game history is. I'm totally fine with people getting intense about games (better that than stamps), but it's just way over my head.

I like SE++ because we do discuss stuff there, we do talk about games, but it's my level. That's not to say SE++'ers are stupid (far from it, actually), but we also don't need to have debates all the time.

Also, agreed, Dynagrip.

Meissnerd on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    I tried D&D first, but they are much too smart for me; also, not many of the threads interested me.

I like games a whole lot, but not to the point where I can remember producers names and what their game history is. I'm totally fine with people getting intense about games (better that than stamps), but it's just way over my head.

I like SE++ because we do discuss stuff there, we do talk about games, but it's my level. That's not to say SE++'ers are stupid (far from it, actually), but we also don't need to have debates all the time.

Also, agreed, Dynagrip.
    Seriously, people deride the internet, even our own that spend so much time on it. It's silly to do that. It's just another way for people to communicate. We're the best we know about at communication as far as animals go and when it comes to our current means to communicate the internet is pretty much the best way ever to get your message out there to whomever you can convince to listen to you.

In many ways it's really helped me out in the physical world. I'm a really shy person by nature and very sensitive. You can imagine how this combination served me growing up...uh, it has given me quite a few issues.

Anyway, the internet gives me a buffer I need so I don't fly into a crazy rage storm when someone argues with me or starts shit. It's really helped me to refine my oratory skills and just feel more comfortable around my own species. I know a lot of sumbitches have their issues with me, but it ain't no thing. I've found quite a few people that I consider real friends, and I root for them.

Go team!

Dynagrip on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    internet is awesome. i hate people that don't get that, but tehre are MANY and some of them hide and pretend they are into it. they don't get it.

they will not be spared in the revolution.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I feel the same way when people say they hate MySpace. If you communicate with loads of dicks that you call your network of friends and acquaintances and get caught up in it to the point of it saturating your day, then yes, you're going to come to loathe it. Like alcohol, if you use it responsibly and at a good pace, it's very fucking conducive to social interaction.

Gim on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Gim wrote: »
    I feel the same way when people say they hate MySpace. If you communicate with loads of dicks that you call your network of friends and acquaintances and get caught up in it to the point of it saturating your day, then yes, you're going to come to loathe it. Like alcohol, if you use it responsibly and at a good pace, it's very fucking conducive to social interaction.

MySpace as software sucks big choad. It's possible to appreciate social networking tools while recognizing, for example, that MySpace's butchering of CSS is a fucking travesty or that their comment system is basically the lube by which script kiddies can anally rape MSIE.

MySpace as a culture is just the lowest common denominator of the Internet. The software's shittiness unfortunately feeds into this; they make it easy to make a vomitous-looking page but very, very hard to make a page look decent. So they're going to alienate a lot of people who have any sense of design or aesthetics. Shit like embedded music also appeals to certain types of people and not others.

Also the default profile setup is really meant for teenagers and young adults. You can list your favorite movies and music but it's very poor as a blogging tool, for instance. The actual social networking features are kind of primitive - you have a friends list, and you can see what groups you're in, but that's about it. Sites like Tribe are much more sophisticated; it's much easier to browse from group to group and see how groups overlap. That's also going to attract a different culture of people.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    *does aesthetics voodoo dance*

Gim on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    People seem to see D&D as pretentious. Actually, aside from certain standards of presentation and content, D&D has very little patience for pretention.

ViolentChemistry on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like these forums, there's an etiquette to posting here that is a little more sophisticated than is typical on the intarwebs. I think it stems from having a decent mod staff and rules that are general enough to cover most irritating behaviour without being so specific that it stifles conversation.

That said, each sub-forum has it's own sacred cows. If you hold a dissenting opinion in D+D there will be plenty of posts directed at you that have no real purpose other than to create a kind of dogpile of opinion. In G+T I've been flamed for suggesting that HD ain't all that, and that something isn't automatically great just because it's a next-gen version of something we've seen before.

japan on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Technically I started off in GnT; my first post and thread was there. But I started reading D&D the next day and have stayed since then.
    Most of us started in G&T, I guess, by this definition. People don't generally seize on the idea to go to a webcomic forum in order to talk about the Alternative Minimum Tax or whatever.

I did.

edit: but then i'm a giant nerdface

MikeMan on
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    japan wrote: »
    I like these forums, there's an etiquette to posting here that is a little more sophisticated than is typical on the intarwebs. I think it stems from having a decent mod staff and rules that are general enough to cover most irritating behaviour without being so specific that it stifles conversation.

That said, each sub-forum has it's own sacred cows. If you hold a dissenting opinion in D+D there will be plenty of posts directed at you that have no real purpose other than to create a kind of dogpile of opinion. In G+T I've been flamed for suggesting that HD ain't all that, and that something isn't automatically great just because it's a next-gen version of something we've seen before.

There are lots of people here who hold strong, dissenting opinions. There tends to be a dogpile of opinion on many brands of stupid (like, young earth creationists and 9/11 conspiracy theorists) but it's usually justified.

sanstodo on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    sanstodo wrote: »

There are lots of people here who hold strong, dissenting opinions. There tends to be a dogpile of opinion on many brands of stupid (like, young earth creationists and 9/11 conspiracy theorists) but it's usually justified.

Indeed, the best threads are the ones where the strong dissenting opinions clash and you read the thread thinking "wow, they both make really good points".

electricitylikesme on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The beauty of D&D is that you have classy debates with huge amounts of crude language.

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2007
    I started posting before there was a D&D or a G&T.
    This isn't my first forum though. That would be www.dc-united.com, which I joined because I was so excited about the Dreamcast. There's actually one forumer here that I know from there, EliteLamer. I like to harass him because he is so stupid. He gets mad at me and asks why I followed him. It is because I loved him.

Dynagrip on
  • VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    sanstodo wrote: »

Indeed, the best threads are the ones where the strong dissenting opinions clash and you read the thread thinking "wow, they both make really good points".

A lot of discussions in these parts eventually reduce to a reenactment of the argument clinic sketch. But those can be fun to read sometimes, too. :P

Veegeezee on
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I started posting before there was a D&D or a G&T.
    This isn't my first forum though. That would be www.dc-united.com, which I joined because I was so excited about the Dreamcast. There's actually one forumer here that I know from there, EliteLamer. I like to harass him because he is so stupid. He gets mad at me and asks why I followed him. It is because I loved him.

DC%20United%20color%20Logo.jpg

I'm like, "The United have a forum? How odd."

Scrumtrulescent on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The beauty of D&D is that you have classy debates with huge amounts of crude language.

Shinto on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

I thought the beauty was having crude debates with classy language.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Good sir, the girth of your member is woefully inadequate for pleasing the fairer sex. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be in the boudoir with your mother.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Drez wrote: »

On reconsideration the debates and language are universally crude.

You fuckstick.

Shinto on