As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHALLA] PhalLabyrinth - A Tale of Spirits - GAME OVER, Goblin Victory, Shariok loses

Spirit of the LabyrinthSpirit of the Labyrinth Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Critical Failures
You wake up, dazed and confused, next to an entire crowd of people. No noise, though- oh, it seems everyone's starting to get up right about now as well. So then you aren't the only one waking up here... and it looks like you're not the only one who's confused either.

Looking around, you see tall stone walls, definitely too tall to climb, much less see over. The entire place is overgrown, covered in vines and it smells of greenery. You look in every direction, and you see paths spanning out, to other paths, and...

Wait, this looks familiar. You've read stories, seen movies, and that one time when you went to-

You're in a big maze!

But, why are you here, and why is everyone else here? And what in GOD'S name is that insidious laughter?

People are starting to panic, but a couple of you have gotten things mostly calmed down. There seems to be only one choice, split up into groups and begin exploring this place. Maybe if everyone looks around, you'll be able to find some clues about this place, or what's in it, or why that group includes you. All you know is this: You want desperately to get out of here. Because something out there wants to keep you in.

Welcome to Labyrinth Phalla, hosted by yours truly, Rend! This is a phalla, all of the standard rules will apply. This will be a medium hidden mechanics game. I won't say much, if anything, else about what this game will entail. However, you will be navigating the labyrinth with a group of your friends, trying to escape.

Voting will probably end up closing at 9:00 Pacific each night, though I'll inform you if I rethink that decision.

I will accept any number of sign ups. Sign up in your bright color of choice, and include your PERSONALITY TYPE.

The following personality types are available:

1. Loudmouth - This guy may be loud, but at least he's got opinions. And he's definitely not afraid to say them. The Loudmouth is a person who thinks the best way to get out of here is to argue it until the truth obviously comes out. He's very persuasive, though, mostly because he tends to be impulsive, and he'll keep talking until he gets his way. But hey, at least he's got something to tell people, and for that he is invaluable.

2. Genius - This guy would have brought his big book of puzzles with him to solve, except that (a) He forgot to pack for his secret abduction, and (b) this is SO MUCH BETTER. The Genius is great at solving puzzles and has some amazing insights about how to proceed, it's just too bad he doesn't have the bird's eye view- he's kind of out of his element.

3. Prodigy - Nobody knows how he does it, but he just does. This guy has some serious skills, and we're not talking about taking wood shop in high school, he just knows how to do things. The Prodigy is very good at doing the odd things one might find need of in a maze environment, such as climbing crumbled rock formations, identifying certain wildlife, or being able to memorize all the presidents.

4. Lucky - A wise man once said "I'd rather be lucky than good." Well, this guy took that to heart - or rather, it took to him. The Lucky is someone who all the good stuff happens to, while simultaneously being able to weed out the bad. He happened to make the right turn instead of the left, even though he was explicitly told the opposite. And where did it land him? A one-way ticket to freedom. Just try not to stand directly next to him.

5. Sociable - This guy almost doesn't seem phased by this whole ordeal. It's like, hey, we all just woke up here, were apparently abducted, and dropped into a maze for someone's sick amusement, and he's schmoozing around making friends with everyone. Well, the Sociable is the go-to-guy for inter and intra group politics. I mean, if we can't work together, then how would we even hope to make it out of here anyway?

6. Crazy - Don't mess with this one, he's CRAZY. I mean, we're talking, no holds barred, clinical, get the guys with the white suits up in here QUICK crazy. The kind of crazy that makes you think "what poor stupid fool would go within 10 feet of this guy to abduct him?" But hey, sometimes, that sort of crazy is just what you need. The Crazy is willing to take unbelieveable risks, and go up against overwhelming odds. And somehow, he'll make it out. Cause, you know. Crazy!

7. Cautious - If you try to talk yourself out of crossing the street because the red hand started flashing already, you might be a cautious. This is the sort of person who would think for ten minutes about which direction to take in the maze, even if nobody knew what was going on at all. I mean, come on, yeah be careful but hurry up already! The Cautious is someone who will always take their time, and will slow the group down. Of course, maybe that's a good thing. Can't let panic get to you, or else you might never make it out.

8. Helpful - I'll get that for you! Well, actually, I won't, but he definitely will. He's falling over himself trying to get things done, even though he's rarely the person to start them. Sometimes he comes off as gushing or annoying, but you can't help but love the little guy. He just wants to help so bad! And really, can't you use the assistance? The Helpful is someone who is really good at making other people really good. It's a thankless job, but hey! Someone has to do it.

9. Optimistic - Don't worry guys, we'll be fine! That much is a typical line from this sort of person. He thinks we're all going to make it out, and just be absolutely peachy the whole way. If we think about this, we're sure to succeed! Then when we get out we can all eat dinner at T.G.I. Fridays. My treat! The Optimistic is someone whose good-hearted spirit shines through when nothing else will. He's not useful for much, and he's usually too busy looking at the good things to look at the, often more important, bad ones, but there's no denying that this guy will keep you going longer than you ever thought possible.

Sign ups: (Sign ups are unlimited- until they are closed, I will take any number of people)
1. Dunadan019 - Prodigy - Maze Runner
2. Simonwolf - Sociable - Maze Runner
3. Real_Pochacco - Lucky - Maze Runner
4. Burnage - Crazy - Spirit of the Dragons
5. Cynic Jester - Lucky - Memory of the Humans
6. Crimsoncoyote - Genius - Maze Runner
7. Nion - Prodigy - Maze Runner
8. Shadow Thomas - Helpful
9. Kay - Prodigy
10. Typhus - Crazy
11. Unearthly Stew - Optimistic
12. Daius - Lucky - Spirit of the Elves
13. Moleface - Cautious - Maze Runner
14. Infidel - Genius - Memory of the Dwarves
15. jdarksun - Helpful
16. Kime - Genius
17. Darian - Optimistic - Maze Runner
18. Keika - Helpful
19. Edcrab - Sociable
20. Ebfan - Genius - Spirit of the Goblins
21. Zandracon - Lucky - Maze Runner
22. Gumpy - Loudmouth
23. Trust - Prodigy - Herald of the Dragons
24. B:L - Crazy (obviously)
25. Powerpuppies - Lucky - Herald of the Faeries
26. The_Reflection - Lucky
27. Enlightenedbum - Helpful - Maze Runner
28. Sticks - Cautious - Awakened Maze Runner
29. Romantic Undead - Optimist - Maze Runner
30. MrBlarney - Genius - Spirit of Knowledge
31. Rainfall - Lucky - Maze Runner
32. Skycaptain - Loudmouth - Maze Runner
33. Cleonicus - Helpful - Maze Runner
34. Erich Zahn - Crazy - Maze Runner
35. Verr - Lucky - Maze Runner
36. Plutonium - Cautious - Maze Runner
37. TehSloth - Optimist - Maze Runner
38. Spectrum - Prodigy - Spirit of the Goblins
39. Dac Vin - Genius - Maze Runner
40. cj Iwakura - Optimistic - Spirit of the Humans
41. SpectralSpork - Crazy - Maze Runner
42. Orange Soda - Loudmouth
43. Vertroue - Optimistic
44. Julius Caezure - Sociable - Memory of the Elves
45. CrownAxe - Crazy - Maze Runner
46. Gnersh - Optimistic - Maze Runner
47. Iamtheaznman - Crazy
48. Dunedainjedi - Lucky - Maze Runner
49. Tommy2Hands - Prodigy - Spirit of the Goblins
50. CorpseRT - Prodigy - Spirit of the Goblins
51. DevoutlyApathetic - Prodigy
52. Antithesis - Sociable - Maze Runner
53. Kingmole - Loudmouth - Memory of the Dragons
54. Fiaryn - Crazy - Herald of the Elves
55. Visiblehowl - Optimistic
56. Delmain - Crazy - Maze Runner
57. Malkor - Cautious - Herald of the Daemons
58. Tehpiplupman - Lucky - Spirit of the Goblins
59. Lightrider - Genius - Maze Runner
60. Fatal3rr0r - Lucky
61. Andrew Ryan - Prodigy - Maze Runner
62. Lonelyahava - Sociable
63. KrataLightblade - Geinus - Herald of the Dwarves
64. Abotkin - Genius
65. TheLawinator - Crazy
66. Godmode - Cautious
67. DUE - Sociable - Herald of the Humans
68. GrimmyTOA - Cautious - Spirit of the Minotaur
69. Ultros64 - Prodigy - Maze Runner
70. Warban - Crazy
71. Zellpher - Helpful
72. Obbi - Optimistic
73. Shanic - Helpful - Memory of the Faeries
74. Mr. Defecation - Genius

Spirit of the Labyrinth on

• Spirit of the LabyrinthSpirit of the Labyrinth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    IMPORTANT POSTS:

-Prologue: Let's Split Up!
    Day 0: Also Prologue
    Day 1: A Ripple in the Pond
    Day 2: A Promising Start
    Day 3: A Culling
    Day 4: The Paths Wind
    Day 5: A Death in the Family
    Day 6: The Coming Darkness
    Day 7: Another Spirit Approaches!
    Day 8: The Convocation
    Day 9: A Confluence of Events
    Day 10: Drawing Nigh

Maze-Running Groups:

Team Insanity
    Orange Soda

The Evil Murderbeasts
    kime

Team Jailbait
    lonelyahava

Ariadne's Pathfinders
    Kay
    Abotkin

Team Tentacoo Wape
    Mr. Defecation

Team Mongoose
    ShadowThomas

The David Bowie Fan Club
    Keika
    Unearthly Stew

Team (ad)Venture
    jdarksun
    Typhus

Cosmic Castle
    B:L
    Edcrab
    Gumpy
    vertroue

The Lookouts
    The_Reflection
    Fatal3rr0r
    Obbi
    Zellpher

Society of Haughty Intellectuals Taking up Efforts to Escape the Labyrinth
    DevoutlyApathetic
    iamtheaznman
    enlightenedbum
    visiblehowl

• Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Signup

I am obviously a Genius

Dunadan019 on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Also, personality type... I'll go with Sociable.

simonwolf on
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !sign up as lucky

real_pochacco on
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, simonwolf. :p

DONT FORGET TO SIGN UP WITH YOUR PERSONALITY TYPE.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My faKe nAme iS dAvId BowiE and I apProVe oF tHis

?alsO .i'lL takE crazY

Burnage on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, simonwolf. :p

I have done it twice tonight! I am just too fuckin' fast for this place.

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta head down to Tokyo for some drift racing. Don't wait up.

simonwolf on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Signup

Gonna get lucky tonight.

Cynic Jester on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OMGOMGOMGOMGSINGUP

And, since Dead Sexy isn't an option (:(), GENIUS!

crimsoncoyote on
  • NionNion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Signup as a Prodigy

Nion on
  • ShadowThomasShadowThomas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !sign up with Diesel Power

Prodigy

ShadowThomas on
  • Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Sign up.

I think that I might turn out to be some kind of idiot-savant Prodigy.

Oh god, three more just before me. I'll change to something else, probably Loudmouth, if we need more balance.

Kay2 on
    edited June 2009
    B:L, spork, OS, Fiaryn...

I think we have enough loudmouths...

Dunadan019 on
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Sign and who the hell just called me Crazy? I swear to god I'll rip out your spine and hang you with it.

Typhus733 on
    edited June 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    Oh god, three more just before me. I'll change to something else, probably Loudmouth, if we need more balance.

.A prodigY iS noT A geniuS, sweetesT kaY

A geniuS maY overcomE thE worlD, buT A prodigY iS destineD tO bE crusheD bY iT

Burnage on
  • Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This seems like it might be fun. Sign up! I have a good feeling about the Optimistic type.

So guys, I've never phalla'd before, how is phalla formed?

Unearthly Stew on
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Signup

Oh Lucky Lucky I'm so Lucky!

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !signup Cautious

That's how I do it, right? I wouldn't want to sign up wrong...

moleface on
    battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
    edited June 2009
    i'm guessing that we are gonna lack cautious, helpful, sociable and optimistic people.

Dunadan019 on
    edited June 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    i'm guessing that we are gonna lack cautious, helpful, sociable and optimistic people.

That's probably going to cause some problems down the line, yeah.

simonwolf on
    edited June 2009
    I don't care man! I'm lucky enough that it won't matter

real_pochacco on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !I'm a fucking genius.

Also, you forgot to put in the OP who is actually hosting this game. You should always do that with GM accounts to avoid confusion and so that we know who to [strike]blame[/strike] praise.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »

So it's basically the same as ever.

Typhus733 on
    edited June 2009
    Spirit of the Labyrinth is hosting this game, duh.

crimsoncoyote on
    edited June 2009
    Prologue: Let's Split Up!

So, apparently it was some smart guy's idea that all of you split up, after all, that way you can cover more ground! And, I mean, come on. It's a pretty quiet place, except for that disembodied, maniacal laughter. It's not like a giant monster is going to begin picking you off, one by one, until your numbers dwindle and fall to nothing. And, seriously, within small groups, intra-group politics and struggles never serve to completely destroy the solidarity of the team, whittling the morale down whilst the individuals sink deeper and deeper into an abyss of despair.

So, obviously, splitting up is the best idea.

As such, you will have a limited capacity to pick your team in this phalla! The first day after sign-ups will be "Day 0" and will not have a vote. This is when everyone will begin trekking out. You will be splitting up into groups of 5 people each (and before you say anything, cool your jets, buster brown. There's no faction whose goal is to reduce party size, this time. The importance of your group will be in composition instead of number). After you declare your groups, you will begin exploring the Labyrinth, looking for an exit, and facing your challenges along the way.

If your group manages to find the exit alive, you will be free! At that point, you will have a choice to exit the labyrinth and WIN THE GAME, or stay and continue playing. Keep in mind, though, any chance you have to exit may be your last!

After all, this place isn't called 'The easily navigated hedge maze,' it's 'The Labyrinth.'

You may begin declaring your groups at any time. Just make sure of these few points:

1. Make sure everyone in your group has agreed to go with you BEFORE you declare it. For purposes of streamlining this particular element of play, I won't require a bunch of PMs back and forth, so do not abuse that.

2. Once you declare your group, there's no going back. No re-teaming, and no changing of teams. You're stuck with them!

3. Alignments will not be known by the end of Day 0, and so that should make no difference in the choosing of your team.

4. Any good Maze Running team needs a good name. Make it good.

• Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    T'is Rend, yay verily. I think.

Kay2 on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I did not actually sleep last night.

I am tired :(.

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    edited June 2009
    Shotgun I'm in Kime's group. This maze wouldn't dare kill Kime.

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
    edited June 2009
    Kay wrote: »
    T'is Rend, yay verily. I think.

Preposterous!

crimsoncoyote on
    edited June 2009
    Daius wrote: »
    hi5!

Yeah, I pretty much built this maze. Anyone that wants to survive should group with me. We can even go other-team hunting, if you'd like!

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited June 2009
    kime wrote: »
    hi5!

Yeah, I pretty much built this maze. Anyone that wants to survive should group with me. We can even go other-team hunting, if you'd like!

What do you think the team name should be?

I'm thinking either "The Evil Murderbeasts" or "Mino and the Taurs"

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
    edited June 2009
    I want the name of my group to be "Fuck the 80s"

if you are interested in joining such a group, you should be

real_pochacco on
    edited June 2009
    After all, this place isn't called 'The easily navigated hedge maze,' it's 'The Labyrinth.'
    Shit, there goes my plan of following the right wall.

crimsoncoyote on
    edited June 2009
    Psst Kime

I can totally score some cake for the team

Also a lil' extra for you

simonwolf on
    edited June 2009
    hi5!

.iF yoU woulD havE mE, I woulD bE A wonderfuL beasT oF fatalitY

Burnage on
    edited June 2009

I'm worried the first may be too subtle, and the second has puns! Bad puns!

(Both made me giggle loudly, although that is possibly from sleep deprivation, I have no idea.)

simonwolf wrote: »
    Psst Kime

I can totally score some cake for the team

Also a lil' extra for you

DECISIONS. Shall I keep my well-earned grudge, or shall I take the cake...?

kime on
    Steam profile
    edited June 2009
    Also, if you don't understand game theory, you're not allowed in my group. ;-)

crimsoncoyote on
    edited June 2009
    Also, if you don't understand game theory, you're not allowed in my group. ;-)

what if I just keep my head down and refuse to testify every time?

real_pochacco on
    edited June 2009

DECISIONS. Shall I keep my well-earned grudge, or shall I take the cake...?

As an unbiased third party, I say take it.

simonwolf on
    edited June 2009
    simonwolf wrote: »
    As an unbiased third party, I say take it.
    Oh, OK then.

Daius, what say you to Burnage and simonwolf?

Sleep is healthy and makes your mind work better. FYI

kime on
    Steam profile