As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Indie Games Thread: March 9th - See OP for massive updating

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay, so I really want to play Dungeon Crawl. I downloaded the version that has the optional tileset thing, because apparently the game is ascii based like Dwarf Fortress (blarg!).

Only, when I run the exe for the tileset version, the son of a bitch window opens and then closes immediately.

HALP!

Tiles version I always used for dwarf fortress.

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/index.php

The guy who made it was either one of the PA community, or started hanging out here afterward.

Mayday's been around a while, I think he hung/hangs out in AC.

jothki on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're playing anything but Spelunky, you're doing it wrong. Unless you're playing a Blurst game.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jumpman is a fairly fun platformer with atari-esque graphics and some twists later down the line. Levels become more complex and interesting as things start getting piled on top. It's also made by MCC and has a level editor, so there are additional level packs you can nab too.

You can get Jumpman here.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're playing anything but Spelunky, you're doing it wrong. Unless you're playing a Blurst game.

Have you played the latest blurst game? It's shit. Glad they're taking a break. I hope they get back to their usual crazy greatness.

Lly on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, RPS bashed it but TIGSource seems to like it... I still haven't played it.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dungeon Crawl is really fucking hard, damn it. My last three guys have died in the same fucking way - on floors 3 or 4, I run into a group of 3 / 4 orcs, with two casters, and they fuck me up.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TIGSource seemed to like it in a sort of forced "shit these guys are great so we have to like it" way. Most of the people with under a thousand posts over there didn't like it much.

Lly on
  • Options
    SpindriftSpindrift Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dungeon Crawl is really fucking hard, damn it. My last three guys have died in the same fucking way - on floors 3 or 4, I run into a group of 3 / 4 orcs, with two casters, and they fuck me up.

Orc priests (green robe) have a smite spell that can hit you as long as you're in line of sight. So break line of sight :P

Spindrift on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lly wrote: »

Have you played the latest blurst game? It's shit. Glad they're taking a break. I hope they get back to their usual crazy greatness.

Crane Wars is pretty fun, I thought.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Spindrift wrote: »

Orc priests (green robe) have a smite spell that can hit you as long as you're in line of sight. So break line of sight :P

Yeah well that's baloney, I'm about to roll my own caster here soon.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Crane Wars is pretty fun, I thought.

Really? I guess different strokes for different folks.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pretty neat flash platformer. It's not long, but it has an interesting take on having multiple "lives" to use to solve the puzzles. It also looks and sounds lovely.

http://www.greg-anims.com/useboxmen.html

It gets goddamn hard in the last three levels.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Okay, all the stuff from this thread has been added into the OP. Thanks for providing all these game recommendations guys. :D

I still need to go through the previous thread (page 9 and forward) to catch things missed.

Also, I added a section that pretty much says no rom hacks, no linking to fishy sites, let's keep this thread full of good games and not awful ones, and when you come here with a game to recommend link AND tell us about it, not one or the other. :P

Edit - Oh, and we had an explosion of roguelikes added to the OP thanks to Xtarath. And on the topic of roguelikes I'm about to give up on Dungeon Crawl because I keep dying on floor 3.

Henroid on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty neat flash platformer. It's not long, but it has an interesting take on having multiple "lives" to use to solve the puzzles. It also looks and sounds lovely.

http://www.greg-anims.com/useboxmen.html

It gets goddamn hard in the last three levels.

I adore the animation in this. The way his arms swing when he's falling sell it to me on so many levels.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    gambrinousgambrinous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    More good flash games! You may have seen Dino Run before but the other two are just out

Morningstar: a point-and-click adventure game with astounding graphics where you need to explore a mysterious planet after your space ship crash lands.

Heavy Weapons: a slick all-action shooter set in small levels with a top-down perspective.

Dino Run: a fast paced survival game where you must outrun an ever advancing firey wall of doom!

gambrinous on
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    On Elona, it's fantastic. It's somewhere between a graphical roguelike, and a JRPG. There's quests, dungeons, an over world, magic, music, polymorphing... Just about everything that's typical from either genre.

I believe it's still in heavy development. The current iteration is awesome, though. A good roguelike for beginners and veterans alike. I should also mention, the interface is quite intuitive compared to most roguelike titles.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Nerdtendo wrote: »
    On Elona, it's fantastic. It's somewhere between a graphical roguelike, and a JRPG. There's quests, dungeons, an over world, magic, music, polymorphing... Just about everything that's typical from either genre.

I believe it's still in heavy development. The current iteration is awesome, though. A good roguelike for beginners and veterans alike. I should also mention, the interface is quite intuitive compared to most roguelike titles.

I've never tried to play a roguelike, but Elona intrigues me... Is it too hard?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

It's not easy, but it's more forgiving than others.

If you are trying to toe into the genre, start with castle of the winds.

It's under the RPG heading.

Morkath on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey, ADOM http://www.adom.de/adom/download.php3 is what I jumped into the genre with, though it's not a kind one by any means. Elona's pretty nice to you, mostly because it's completely graphical, has a comprehensive tutorial, and lets you keep your character without having to cheat and copy save files

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    undeinpirat is spiffy and is running a roguelike-specific thread, which I've linked to in the OP here. And this post.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=93429

Henroid on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    gambrinous wrote: »
    Heavy Weapons: a slick all-action shooter set in small levels with a top-down perspective.
    I always appreciate more free arena shooters.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It's definitely difficult, yeah. Easy to die in.

The problem with roguelikes isn't necessarily the game, it's the player. You have to realize that dying is supposed to be a big part of the roguelike experience. The more absurd the deaths, the better. The deaths should also teach you something. That's what I like. When you die ten hours into a game, you think to yourself, "Okay, so eating the corpse of an acid elemental is a bad idea. Good to know."

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I just tried out Cho Ren Sha myself, and damn is it nice. Not too many power ups to pickup so you achieve max power soon (unless I'm mistaken), and it appears you can take a few hits before actually dying. But damn, the way the background is it's hard to tell where shots are coming from sometimes.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Holdover.

Old Japanese Metriod-ish platformer. There's an English version that'll help you through the 2 dozen lines of text you actually need to read, and you'll get the story.

I wouldn't call it hard, but most of the game involves navigating water sections that are timed down to fractions of a second.

It's only a couple hours long, and it has a neat feature that keeps track of every time you die.

Warning: partial pixel nudity.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A quick thread search yielded no mention of Minecraft, which admittedly at this point isn't much of a game seeing as it's in alpha, but think of it like a world building sim. Good fun, has multiplayer too.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Not really a game as much as a thing, but it's made by the guy who did World of Goo and I just wasted 30 minutes on it.

http://experimentalgameplay.com/blog/2009/07/egg-worm-generator/

Evolution simulator. A bunch of randomly-generated muties are spawned, and the ones which manage to wiggle to the target pass their 'genes' to the next generation.

I just left it running for 80 waves, and I've got myself a fine breed of pedigree raceworms. The fastest managed a stately 15 m/s canter.

Tig on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Not free, but a really nice indie (ish) platformer got released the other day. Costs £20. Demo available on steam.

It's bloody good fun so far, and absolutely gorgeous. The narration is fantastic too.

http://trine-thegame.com/site/

Lly on
  • Options
    gambrinousgambrinous Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    A few more new or slightly unknown but great flash games:

Crunchball 3000: a fast-paced futuristic sports game that will surely remind you of Amiga classic Speedball 2.

Armor Wars: an excellent tactical turn-based card game set in a fantasy universe.

Warfare 1917: a real-time strategy game where you take control of the British army during the trench warfare of World War I.

gambrinous on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Something that SHOULD be played, stop what you're doing right now and savour this fine piece of flash:

MoneySeize. The latest platformer creation of Matt Thorson (known for Jumper and An Untitled Story), you're this fine gentlemen with a top hat who has to collect 1000 coins to build his shiny new tower. It's good and hard, but if you've seen what the author is known for it should be a given.

In case the game runs too erratically, there's a downloadable version available too.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh Indie Gaming Thread Making, my old favorite forum hobby.

OP maker deserves great respect if he can keep up with the steady barrage of great strange games, I personally lost my stamina for keeping up quicker than an asthmatic in gym class.

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Seriously games, every game on www.nitrome.com is awesome, these guys excel at making flash games. <3

Impersonator on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So yeah, minecraft.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    What's this? What's this? There's posts up in my thread!

I'll get to work on it this evening guys, thanks for the additions. :)

Henroid on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Info for voxelstein

Single level of a Wolfenstein-type game (same enemies and setting) created entirely with volumetric pixels (voxels; little cubes that build up the world). This means the entire stage is destructible, and ragdolls can e gorily dismembered. For extra fun, edit weapon stats in the included text file.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The underside released a new demo recently. It's very reminiscent of cave story (to the extent of being labelled a ripoff for ages) but it is brilliant fun.

http://www.insignificantstudios.com/preview.php

Lly on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tig wrote: »
    Not really a game as much as a thing, but it's made by the guy who did World of Goo and I just wasted 30 minutes on it.

http://experimentalgameplay.com/blog/2009/07/egg-worm-generator/

Evolution simulator. A bunch of randomly-generated muties are spawned, and the ones which manage to wiggle to the target pass their 'genes' to the next generation.

I just left it running for 80 waves, and I've got myself a fine breed of pedigree raceworms. The fastest managed a stately 15 m/s canter.

This "game" is really the most intriguing thing. As an experiment I've just left it on fast forward for most of today; I'm on level 7700 as I type this, and most of my worms have developed some of their body segments into "legs" that they use to gallop across the screen. They can also travel the same direction even when tipped upside down, which is nifty. Worms that can't do that often have a spinning "tail" piece that flips them back up when they land on their backs. My fastest worm today was clocked at 33.78 m/s, which is something like 75 mph.

Also, their heads are on their back ends. They run backwards at cheetah speed.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    The underside released a new demo recently. It's very reminiscent of cave story (to the extent of being labelled a ripoff for ages) but it is brilliant fun.

The Underside is better than Cave Story.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Maybe if it wasn't so inherently lethal. 100 damage spikes are absurd, especially for little tiny pits.

I rescued the mayor and I'm back in town, but I can't figure out where to go from there. Can you go anywhere?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I totally agree. I wish he'd hurry up and release the damn thing.

Lly on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I didn't really know if this is the right place to post this, but I got some indie news.

La-Mulana is coming to Wiiware.
    As reported on Neogaf and a couple of other sites now, the latest issue of Nintendo Power brings news that the MSX-style platformer is headed for the WiiWare very soon. Nigoro themselves posted up a countdown timer on their site just yesterday, so this piece of information is pretty much confirmed and we will hear more about the changes that the new port will bring in three days' time.

The Neogaf poster also comments that La-Mulana's graphics have been updated to 16-bit, and the original MSX roms would probably be replaced with classic Nintendo titles instead. (old gameplay videos)

[UPDATE: Nicalis had posted up a press release on their blog today, confirming the collaboration between them and the Nigoro team on an upcoming WiiWare game, scheduled for release in Winter 2009.]

Also, scans of the updated graphics from Nintendo Power (At least I hope they are?):

241ntya.jpg

2qmhsfn.jpg

24nkakx.jpg

Three words:

OH MY GOD

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif