As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I make more cartoons?

roborobo Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
Vote now and I will do what you command.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8lXijnrjL4

robo on

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wait, are you saying if we don't like your video you'll kill yourself?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    roborobo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you're reading a little to into that, i'm much to beautiful to die

robo on
  • Options
    sgt scruffiansgt scruffian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think you should spend the time you're taking to animate any possible future cartoons to sit down and practice drawing.

sgt scruffian on
    randomSecondPanel.php
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    short answer, no.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Long answer, nooooooooooooooooo.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    medium answer nooooooo

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're serious about getting better at this, start with the basics, drawing from life and practicing a whole bunch.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Short answer YEEEEEEESSSSS.

Remember how shitty the first Beavis and Butthead looked (as well as later eps)?

Practice writing. Thats the most important thing. The animation and crude drawings will only get better. Plus if you like doing them, go for it.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That B+B animation..as shitty as it was is still WORLDS better than the OPs stuff.

OP..your "comedy" is so bad. I mean really really really really bad. I didn't even crack a smile. I can tell you tried, but wow..it needs a lot of work all around. I would work on your art and your writing..or maybe just your art and pair up with a writer.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009

Well, as long as they're better than this one, sure.

But that's going to require:

-A better handle on basic animation drawing construction skills.
    -A better handle of basic animation principles.
    -A better handle on character design.
    -A better handle on acting.
    -A better handle on staging.
    -A better handle on writing and specifically timing* of visual gags.

So yeah, if you don't mind, you know, putting in years and years of effort in order to make it funny and/or well done, go right ahead. On the other hand, if your intention is just to amuse your high school friends (I am assuming high school since I knew a guy in high school that drew people exactly the same as you do), you really should be posing that question to them, rather than us heartless internet art dudes.

EDIT: That probably was a bit more assholish and discouraging than was strictly necessary... I just really wanted to use that first line retort, the setup for it was too good to pass up. Please don't let my potentially off-putting tone get in the way of taking action to improve the skills listed though, if you're serious about doing animation.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well, as long as they're better than this one, sure.

But that's going to require:

-A better handle on basic animation drawing construction skills.
    -A better handle of basic animation principles.
    -A better handle on character design.
    -A better handle on acting.
    -A better handle on staging.
    -A better handle on writing and specifically timing* of visual gags.

So yeah, if you don't mind, you know, putting in years and years of effort in order to make it funny and/or well done, go right ahead. On the other hand, if your intention is just to amuse your high school friends (I am assuming high school since I knew a guy in high school that drew people exactly the same as you do), you really should be posing that question to them, rather than us heartless internet art dudes.

EDIT: That probably was a bit more assholish and discouraging than was strictly necessary... I just really wanted to use that first line retort, the setup for it was too good to pass up. Please don't let my potentially off-putting tone get in the way of taking action to improve the skills listed though, if you're serious about doing animation.

I apologize for the threadjack, but Bacon, have you actually read Story? I ask as an aspiring screenwriter who's taking classes and has several other books on the subject.

That said, I fall back on the idea that when it gets to something like this, unless you're just really big on making it all yourself or having direct control, you need to make sure your writing shines. Art's important, especially if it's something you like doing more than writing, but good writing will attract other people who may be better off in the art department.

As said, it needs work all around at this point, but if you're tackling it from a writing perspective instead of an animation perspective, focus on the writing. If not, flip it.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I apologize for the threadjack, but Bacon, have you actually read Story? I ask as an aspiring screenwriter who's taking classes and has several other books on the subject.

Most of it? If I ever did any real writing I'd probably have to go through it again though, why?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Most of it? If I ever did any real writing I'd probably have to go through it again though, why?

Just curious. I'm 20 and have only begun seriously writing in the last year or so as far as screenplay work goes. As such, I have acquired a few books on the craft and was wondering if this was another I should pick up.

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    @op: I say that, if you like animation and you want to improve your craft, keep making movies. Aside from practicing the fundementals, the only way you'll get better at animation and writing is by continuing to do both.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Just curious. I'm 20 and have only begun seriously writing in the last year or so as far as screenplay work goes. As such, I have acquired a few books on the craft and was wondering if this was another I should pick up.

If you are doing screenwriting, I'd say it's definitely worth picking up- it may be in large part redundant with some of the books your already have, but since it's probably the best known book on the subject (AFAIK), it's probably worth being familiar with it.

Angel_of_Bacon on