As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rorschach in extended 300 trailer

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    He hid it really well. I couldn't see it in the YouTube trailer, but when I drag the time bar, at one point it will land exactly on the Rorschach frame. Must be a cool thing to discover on yoru own.

Lux on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you guys took a peak at the high rez version, right?

doesn't look that bad at all

Guek on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The mask needs more splotches. The "ink" looks like it's almost all part of the same shape.

Edit: I'm assuming here that they're not going to make the mask change shapes like it does in the comic.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Edit: I'm assuming here that they're not going to make the mask change shapes like it does in the comic.
    why would you assume that?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Lejin wrote: »
    Gerard Butler as The Comedian?

It was stated at Wonder-con he will be in it.

Source

Hahaha, the rumors start already.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    why would you assume that?
    *shrug*

Mostly because I was thinking of it as an actual mask, instead of CGI or something.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, that mask needs grimy canned beans stains on it. The facial adornment of a man without the time to launder!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Looks pretty good to me, but I'm doubtful of them being able to do a faithful adapation in two hours. There is just too much to cover.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Proto wrote: »
    Looks pretty good to me, but I'm doubtful of them being able to do a faithful adapation in two hours. There is just too much to cover.

Have they stated if the film will cover the entire story? The only way I can see this working is by separating it into at least 2 movies.

Turkey on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They just need to get the big events, characters and overall theme. If they do that, the movie could be good.

august on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    august wrote: »
    They just need to get the big events, characters and overall theme. If they do that, the movie could be good.

The pirate comic scenes will most likely be cut.

Turkey on
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Turkey wrote: »
    august wrote: »

The pirate comic scenes will most likely be cut.

As much as I loved that, I think I would be fine if the newspaper salesman and the kid are just in for a cameo appearance with the kid reading the pirate comic and the newspaper guy scolding him or somthing.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    Briareos wrote: »
    Furu wrote: »
    My God the movie hasn't even started yet and the incessent bitching is about to drive me absolutely fucking insane.

Yep, just witnessing the amount of whining in this thread, I've decided that I won't read another thing about Watchmen until the reviews come out.

Uh, the bitching about the movie has been around since they even thought of it in the 90s

Garlic Bread on
  • natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There is still way too much plot in Watchmen to fit into one movie though, if anything it should be an HBO miniseries or somthing.

Or a prequel. Watchmen - The Early Years sort of thing.

natxcross on
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fellhand wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    A Film version of Rorschach won't look right in just a single frame though. You'd need to see the blobs moving.

Yeah.

And the mask was supposed to be a material that separated two viscous fluids or something. He talks in the comic about needing to use heating tools to cut it just right.

You don't cut cloth with heat so I've always thought of the fabric of his mask being plastic like.

It's two layers of latex.

All he did, according to the panel is heat up some scissors to keep the seal.

I figure, in the movie, it could just be a fabric for a dress, and not some fancy new material.

Plus, I really like the idea of him just cutting up a dress with ink blobs and putting it on his face.
    One thing that bugged me about his mask... how does he breathe through it?

TM2 Rampage on
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    One thing that bugged me about his mask... how does he breathe through it?

Carefully.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
    edited March 2007
    Turkey wrote: »

Have they stated if the film will cover the entire story? The only way I can see this working is by separating it into at least 2 movies.
    I can't really imagine them doing that.

I'm trying to think of things they could legitimately cut out. They could probably gloss over the Silk Specter's history. And since The Comedian dies at the beginning anyway, they might not choose to deal with any of his backstory either (especially as it ties to the Silk Specter).

Uhm.

They could spend less time with Dr. Manhattan's period away from Earth, I guess.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There is still way too much plot in Watchmen to fit into one movie though, if anything it should be an HBO miniseries or somthing.

You know what, thats a good idea, I'm amazed no one else has thought of that.

Sharp101 on
    edited March 2007
    Maybe they'll just point a camera at a copy of Absolute Watchmen and spend 20 seconds on each story page. Low budget, but so true to the original. But what will Alan Moore have to be pissed about?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Maybe they'll just point a camera at a copy of Absolute Watchmen and spend 20 seconds on each story page. Low budget, but so true to the original. But what will Alan Moore have to be pissed about?

I'd watch it.

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

Who's going to play Nite Owl?

I think Adam West should call dibs.

Ethan Smith on
    edited March 2007

Who's going to play Nite Owl?

I think Adam West should call dibs.

I'd actually like to see him as the original Nite Owl (Adam West is probably more representative of retro heroes than the simple image of punching Nazis with a dog sidekick, for the non-comic reading populace) but that's definitely a plot point that could and probably would be cut.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited March 2007
    natxcross wrote: »

I dunno about that, I think it would completely take away from the whole point of the story. A prequel would be so cheesy/campy that it would be near unwatchable today. The whole point of watchmen was to get away from that whole idiom, a lot of it is them looking back and thinking about how naive they all were for galavanting around and fighting psuedo-criminal villains. The only time I can think of where the characters showed their realistic humanity was when
    Comedian raped Sally

Plus I really hate stuff that is a total break from canon like that. I would hate to see a movie of one of the best examples of literary merit in the graphic novel genre get ruined by a crappy prequel. I suppose that you could say the same about a screen adaptation that isn't faithful to the book but I really don't think that will be an issue with this director. He really seems to want to make the most faithful retelling he can.

edit* also, Adam West as Hollis Mason is a fantastic idea.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've got a better idea for Rorschach's mask then animating it: have it static, but change it shot by shot or scene by scene, just like in the comics. Then you could do what Moore did and hide shapes and images in it that mirror/foretell the action.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've got a better idea for Rorschach's mask then animating it: have it static, but change it shot by shot or scene by scene, just like in the comics. Then you could do what Moore did and hide shapes and images in it that mirror/foretell the action.

Yeah, I always assumed thats how it would/should work in a film adaptation

CangoFett on
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    There's no reason you couldn't do both. Animate it into positions that foreshadow certain events and just let it hold there for a while. Or it could move slowly.

I really think only moving it in between scenes or camera cuts would look cheap and ruin the effect that it's supposed to have. But there's nothing in the comic referring to the speed it moves at.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Personally? I think it look nifty. I wont bitch or whine or moan until I see it. Remember no amount of bitching can stop an idea, even bad ones like the Loonitics.

Bucketman on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm pretty against the idea of a Watchmen movie, but on the other hand I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Manhattan obliterating viet-cong on the big screen, that should be interesting.

-SPI- on
    edited March 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'm pretty against the idea of a Watchmen movie, but on the other hand I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Manhattan obliterating viet-cong on the big screen, that should be interesting.

I would be very unsurprised if that's one of the parts that gets cut.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So... how does Rorschach's mask design stay symmetrical? Nyuk nyuk nyuk

TM2 Rampage on
  • wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope he doesn't give it the same tint as 300, cause that's how it looks in the smaller res version. the higher res, not so much. But I want real colors dangit

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
    edited March 2007

I dunno about that, I think it would completely take away from the whole point of the story. A prequel would be so cheesy/campy that it would be near unwatchable today. The whole point of watchmen was to get away from that whole idiom, a lot of it is them looking back and thinking about how naive they all were for galavanting around and fighting psuedo-criminal villains. The only time I can think of where the characters showed their realistic humanity was when
    Comedian raped Sally

Plus I really hate stuff that is a total break from canon like that. I would hate to see a movie of one of the best examples of literary merit in the graphic novel genre get ruined by a crappy prequel. I suppose that you could say the same about a screen adaptation that isn't faithful to the book but I really don't think that will be an issue with this director. He really seems to want to make the most faithful retelling he can.

edit* also, Adam West as Hollis Mason is a fantastic idea.

It doesn't have to be cheesy, and shouldn't be if it's in the same style. In fact, it could be easier to get the same idea across by having a completely different plot - you've got the police strike and the Keene Act, and Rorschach's real birth, and everybody quitting or joining the government (or being Rorschach).

As for the canon thing, I imagine they're going to set it twenty years later, too, which means the whole Vietnam thing isn't going to work. (And the Gulf War didn't need Dr Manhattan.)

For me though, the biggest problem is how do you get 12 issues of story into 2 hours of film? I don't think you can without taking out all the little elements that made the story what it is. Miniseries is the only right way to do it.

natxcross on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    They're going to set it in 1985.

Spectre-x on
    edited March 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »

Really? Hrrm.

I'd still rather see a new story than a cramming attempt at the existing one.

natxcross on
    edited March 2007
    Spectre-x wrote: »

Really? Hrrm.

I'd still rather see a new story than a cramming attempt at the existing one.

Conversely, I would rather see a cramming attempt at the existing one than a bastardization of a new one.

I see what you are saying, I just cant imagine enjoying that movie as much as a retelling of the original story.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2007
    you know what's gonna get cut

Doc Manhattan being naked

Garlic Bread on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I surmise they'd stick with his Nam' speedo.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited March 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    you know what's gonna get cut

Doc Manhattan being naked

Wasn't he naked most of the time?

Like, he could make his genitals appear and disappear at whim or something

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So... how does Rorschach's mask design stay symmetrical? Nyuk nyuk nyuk

The fabric it's made of is heat responsive, that's what creates the patterns. His face is symmetrical and therefore so is the heat it puts out.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
    edited March 2007
    I wonder how many dicks are going to ruin the Rorschcach reveal for newcomers by yelling, "That's Rorschach!" when they see him in his civilian form.

Or will we be protected by the fact that most people are probably not entirely sure how to pronounce Rorschach?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg