As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you look less like a Best Buy-commercial employee in your photo than your drawing.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess the tee shirt might make me look kind of best buy. I always feel sorry for those poor suckers they have working as greeters. :(

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    concepts for my d&d session:

dnd.jpg

F87 on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ball.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    /giveup for the night

I did an early test using sketches at sprite size and realized a fundamental problem: the origin of the bullets needs to be at about half the sprite's height (for game design reasons). I was looking at the Metal Slug sprites, this one in particular:

011.gif

I'm not quite willing to go that cartoony, but the level of projectile generation in relation to the sprite was pretty close.

Does anyone think this is salvageable? From the waist up, it seems okay, but below that line it's just not working out.

sprite.png

Delzhand on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Birthday cards for a co-worker.

dave1.jpg

dave2.jpg

NibCrom on
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is your name really Nils? I guess Wolfram was wrong. There's two of us!

anable on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    anable wrote: »
    Is your name really Nils? I guess Wolfram was wrong. There's two of us!

Whoops! I didn't even realize I was using my real name! Yeah, it is Nils. I think I actually saw your name on a photo in the photo thread, I guess you missed it cause it's a big thread. :)

I don't think I've ever met anyone else with the name Nils. Hopefully it's not like Highlander and In The End There Can Be Only One cause I'm not too good with a sword.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Some old charcoal piece I did before class one day. I'm planning on uploading everything from that semester soon, but I'll probably make my own thread for that!
    horn.jpg

I always liked how this one turned out despite the fact that I only worked on it for about 20 minutes, yet all of the work I slaved over for hours upon end in-class and for assignments never came close to the ease and fluidity I felt I had with this one... not that it's fantastic or anything.

Mertzy on
    THE END.
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know a Nils.
    Oh! Plus this penguin's name is Nils. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7563844.stm So you folks are in prestigious company.

lyrium on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lyrium and the royal penguin

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, things named Nils are pretty awesome. :mrgreen:

NibCrom on
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Projeck on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    a bird
    birdiebig.png

quote please

zzz

uuuuuuhhhhhh

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thanks loomdun, but could you edit your post to have [img]tags :'o[/img]

Projeck on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    OH SWEET JESUS ITS HUGE

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Filio0566.jpg

Filio0602.jpg

these are both life size from working with Rick Berry the last couple weeks.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy fuck

RubberAC on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nicely done!

You can definitely see the Rick Berry in there. That must have been a really huge privilege to work with him. Is it just oils and turp? It does make me think of a Ron English demo I saw where he used chalks and turp though.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks guys, it's oil and linseed. Working with Berry is a ton of fun, I feel like I'm really learning alot for the first time in a long time. I'll be posting more stuff as we go along. The second one is going to get some more work done on it, I didn't actually end up keeping the first one.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Rick Berry just scrapes the oil paint down to the canvas with his palatte knife or finger? That's how he does it? Huh. That man is a mad genious.

Those are fucking awesome.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thanks man.

Yeah we use the rag just about as much as the brush. It's got alot to do with surface preparation and lubrication.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    DuckyDucky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wow, those are awsome. How'd you end up working with Rick Berry?

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    who need signiyures anyways o_O
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I met him at a show he had in newton about a year and a half ago, and it went from there. Kinda long story, but I just ended up hanging out at his studio alot and now we are on like a once a week program. He's a wild dude, knows a ton of people and loves painting more than anyone I've ever met.

Filio0566.jpg

Filio0602.jpg

these are both life size from working with Rick Berry the last couple weeks.

BOTP

Greatnation on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who is Rick Berry!

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Those are some pretty sick underpaintings, GN. Though I have no idea who Rick Berry is. I could probably look him up...

Just took an oil painting class myself, so I have a real appreciation for that kind of stuff atm.

And here's what I've been doing lately. A whole lot of nothing.

12c3a5f024c0a255d8b21b9a64a2ad87.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    finished self portrait. I bought a drying medium (i think it was!) called 'No.2 Medium. It was really good because i mixed it with the tups and it prevented the loss of pigment in the paint, plus it was easier to spread across the masonite board. Done in black and white oil paint...

14kk1g0.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Knight, looks like you didn't Gessoe that board. You will probably want to do that next time, because the wood will absorb the oil paint, and the oils will break it down chemically. Also, you have a lot of wood showing through. You should really solidify it with either some sort of brownish underpainting, if you want to use brown, or really solidify the grays. The way it is, it looks rather sloppily done.

Annnd here's a speedpainting that I did in two and a half hours... basically since I posted above. I know the face is a little creepy... didn't really intend that. D: Used no ref, as evidenced by the many errors. Ah well. That's what the doodle thread is for, right?

65dd799e397a0d5757ed8fedf93d18a7.jpg

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, you might want to use a reference in the future, as the face itself is noticeably built from individual components that are pasted together. The eyes, nose where it connects to the brow, and the brow/temple are especially bad for being "symbolized."

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    Knight, looks like you didn't Gessoe that board. You will probably want to do that next time, because the wood will absorb the oil paint, and the oils will break it down chemically. Also, you have a lot of wood showing through. You should really solidify it with either some sort of brownish underpainting, if you want to use brown, or really solidify the grays. The way it is, it looks rather sloppily done.

The board is covered with a coat of gesso and white house paint (mixed together). I would have added layers and kept it clean, but im working very thin because it needs to dry by wednesday

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    @WCK: Your sense of light and solid form is definitely improving, but I can still see some problems. There seems to be a lot of light hitting your left shoulder (right on the image) but there's also a highlight on the right side of your neck, which seems inconsistent. [tiny]Manly stud you...[/tiny]

@Greatnation: I absolutely love those.

Flay on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jen_by_prohass.png

A portrait of my girl, I really need help with the hair, hair and cloth is something I always get stuck on, any good tutorials or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Also this picture looks nothing like the PSD file I have, its annoying and is something ive gotten grudgingly used to with my computer, for some reason no matter what I export the file as the colours end up way brighter than they should be, the actual PSD image is a lot darker. I have Vista and all my graphics drivers are up to date, I honestly cannot figure out whats causing it. Its been doing it for over a year and Ive gotten used to it, but its really starting to bug me now.

Prohass on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Her features seem very low on the face - but they seem okay relative to each other. You could probably lasso them and move them upward with fairly minor touchup.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think I like gouache :)

cranes.jpg

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, you might want to use a reference in the future, as the face itself is noticeably built from individual components that are pasted together. The eyes, nose where it connects to the brow, and the brow/temple are especially bad for being "symbolized."

That is all understandable, though I wasn't, to be honest, aiming for realism. Which is possible to do rather easily. References, to me, though useful for study, also don't translate as easily into style. They always end up "painterly". I'm not knocking them, don't get me wrong. I just wanted to try to translate my lineart style into a painted style to see how it looked. And, I discovered, it was not so great. D:

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    lyrium wrote: »
    I think I like gouache :)

Cool image

I'd love to learn to use gouache. My tutor used to use it back in the 80s, but then digital vector techniques killed the medium (for his line of work anyway). I think a lot of people dismiss the medium too early.
    Cool work!
    Flay wrote: »
    @WCK: Your sense of light and solid form is definitely improving, but I can still see some problems. There seems to be a lot of light hitting your left shoulder (right on the image) but there's also a highlight on the right side of your neck, which seems inconsistent. [tiny]Manly stud you...[/tiny]

I know what you mean. I think i was a little confused with the light source on the photo reference. The lighting was from a few lamps hitting my body from different directions. Plus i think the flash washed out the tones. I might touch it up a little.

BTW that drying medium works great!In 13 hours the thing is almost dry to the touch in some areas.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    PennyfreqsPennyfreqs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    WCK, I've got a tip for you. When drawing forms like human forms, portraits and such, hold it up to a mirror. Does it look anything close to what it looks like normally? Your eye normally makes up for minute errors in a portrait like that, causing you to miss things that ultimately lessen the quality of the portrait.

When the mirror flips it, it essentially kicks the brain in the balls, and forces it to see the reality. Sort of like hearing your own voice on a recording, or seeing a picture of yourself, you never know what it looks like from a different perspective than your own.

It's a good tactic to use when ensuring you don't massively mess up something, but keep in mind total symmetry is almost non-existent as well.

Pennyfreqs on
    You don't have to be wrong for me to be right.
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A wip I'm currently playing about with - was meant to be a simple banner for my new site but I kept on adding to it. Feel free to suggest weird things to be added to the landscape.

landscrape.gif

Grenn on
  • Options
    VeritasVeritas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    what about an airplane? Like one of those bi-wing wwI types.

That's really cool btw I love the grunge/cartoon mix.

Veritas on
  • Options
    RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's got a low budget mario look to it. Looks like you vectored a bunch of simple shapes to make a scene. The background, foreground overlay you've got covering it is nice. The scene its self leaves something to be desired.

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.