As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All hail the king of the mice

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thread lacks:
    TE_l.jpg

Was and Is the best pointing device ever made. Unfortunately, it now costs >$100 to own one due to MS discontinuing the product and the need for people to have them. Amazon sellers are running ~$200+. If you're lucky, eBay may find you one for $50ish.

I got mine free from a display being thrown away and recently had to replace the USB cable because it had broken inside the rubber jacket.

I will say there needs to be more bluetooth mice/trackballs. I have one here from Dell that I think it just a rebranded Logitech that is very nice, but a bit small for me.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The mouse I use looks like this:
    15139-1.jpg
    It's a bit small, but I've gotten used to it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    W2 wrote: »
    ms-sidewinder-mouse.jpg

I have one of these.

Pretty comfortable.

I wish BB/CC had one on display, I'd like to hold it before purchasing :(

I have been looking to get another Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3, but MS had discontinued it. Every once in a while I search for them to no avail, but it seems MS has started making them. Its the exact same mouse, only black instead of grey.

MK_po_ime3_detail_1.jpg

I love it because the side buttons are in the perfect spot. EVERY mouse now adays has them way too high, I should have to move my thumb up to hit them. So I'm debating getting the new MS Sidewinder or my cherished revival.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    bigwah wrote: »
    EVERY mouse now adays has them way too high, I should have to move my thumb up to hit them.

you probably just have stubby fingers

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    Anyone who uses an intellimouse or a logitech anything should try a deathadder, and then cry tears as they were conned into wasting their money on an overmarketed piece of crap.
    Not to mention flimsy. TF2 has cost me more than one, whereas my old $20 Logitech was sturdy as a tank.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I have both a Deathadder and a Diamondback, both from Woot, both $30 shipped. I can honestly say I like the Diamondback more, if only because the deathadder seems to have a heating device in it and it always is hot before I use it, also the drivers suck and i can't turn the lights off. I like bigger mice, but the diamondback's just won it for me.

edit: I am a psychic. Woot is selling them again.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Really if someone is happy with a logitech there's not much to say... If they can't feel the tracking difference it's like arguing with someone whose half deaf and convinced the ipod earbuds are the greatest thing ever because they can't hear the difference between them and good headphones =/

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Razer tracking offered a slightly better option, but all of their models' right-mouse-buttons are made of fucking paper. One slam = a useless gaming mouse. Hilarious, considering the price.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't know, I've given this DeathAdder a fair beating over the past ~ 6 months. Why exactly are you 'slamming' your mouse?

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Razer tracking offered a slightly better option, but all of their models' right-mouse-buttons are made of fucking paper. One slam = a useless gaming mouse. Hilarious, considering the price.

I've never had any problems with mine.but that aside, 43$,30 or so if you find it on sale, isn't exactly that expensive for a mouse :|

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Being a lefty, I swap my fire to the right mouse button for every game I play. I've never had a mouse suddenly die. I've had mice that start double clicking per click (almost all replacements are from this) because of worn contacts, but never just die.

stigweard on
  • Options
    AlekisanAlekisan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Thread lacks:
    TE_l.jpg

Was and Is the best pointing device ever made. Unfortunately, it now costs >$100 to own one due to MS discontinuing the product and the need for people to have them. Amazon sellers are running ~$200+. If you're lucky, eBay may find you one for $50ish.

I got mine free from a display being thrown away and recently had to replace the USB cable because it had broken inside the rubber jacket.

I will say there needs to be more bluetooth mice/trackballs. I have one here from Dell that I think it just a rebranded Logitech that is very nice, but a bit small for me.

I have had this trackball for a long time.. I LOVE it. I don't know what I'll do if it ever dies.

Alekisan on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    1439.1.0.jpg

I liked the MX1000 so much that I bought two.

Azio on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The diamondback will always have a place in my heart, but this Copperhead is nice, too.

Shabooty on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Home: MS Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000. Thick, tall, accurate. Took me a while to get used to though.
    ms_nat_lsr_6000.jpg

I might have to get one of those. I like my MX510, but I wish it were a little bigger since my index finger tends to hover about a 1 cm over the button when using it. If I grip the mouse with my fingers resting on it the end of my index finger reaches over the button and is partially on the black part of the mouse.

The MX Revolution looks like it isn't as tall, and the side buttons are too small.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    THE TedTHE Ted Tedoculus OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Thank you Mr. Bearded Jones (I don't believe that mustache malarchy for a second, you have a giant beard inside you and you KNOW it), I just successfully wooted that mouse. I'm quite intrigued by the one day sale idea, and it employs one of my all time favorite words as well. Woot indeed.

It IS a leet mouse for nerds with more money than cats (hats, cat hats, hat cats, or any combination thereof), but, I need a wired mouse, I need it to have a LONG cord, and plus I already have a Razer eXactMat (yes that's how its spelled) that I got for dirty cheep when our compUSA closed. It's not like I'm going to find anything better for $30. I actually like how the logitech 518 looks, believe it or not, but I got scared stiff by the shockumentary going on down at newegg.com customer reviews about the 518 and 2 month lifespan right mouse buttons.

THE Ted on
    The train is a lie. The cake is a spy.
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    My 518 lasted me months to the point where I replaced it with the razers because I got bored with it. My mother is now using it, which is sort of funny.

You are right about the beard thing, by the way.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Gentlemen, this is all you need:

Razer_DeathAdder.jpg

Got mine on eBay new for $19.99.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    The true king

10037147.jpg

Hey, h5!

Triple high five with beer for all who have one.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    ReckonerReckoner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys, I'm going to buy a new gaming mouse for my PC because, in the last months, I came again to the pc gaming world. Now, I'm thinking on this models:

Microsoft Razer Habu
    This was the model that I was almost getting in the last month, but I delayed the purchase of a new mouse. I read anywhere that it has some problems, but I will wait for a more precise opinion of the people who use it in this forum.

Razer Copperhead
    I know a lot of online people that play with it, but I don't have a formed opinion about it.

Logitech G5
    In the past, I used a Logitech MX518 that is the previous version of this improved model and it was good before starting having some problems with the right button.

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0
    One guy that I talk much on the Internet has a Copperhead and he is going to trade it for this Microsoft mouse because he says that is the better gaming mouse in the market. He plays only Counter Strike. But I don't know much about this one, and the fact that is optical... I don't know if it is really better and I read that it has some issues on the scroll wheel.

And, in an extreme case, I will maybe think about the Razer Lachesis, if you think that really worth the extra money.

So, I will wait for your opinions. ;-)

Reckoner on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I will simply say that the Habu is fragile.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Why you say that? You have one? Can you be more specific in that point? :-)

Reckoner on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the sidewinder x8 is the only ms mouse worth buying imo, and its actually very nice so if you want MS that'd get my vote otherwise the copperhead. The lachesis' is nice but probably not worth the money to most people

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like the copperhead although I actually don't game all that much.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This thread is nearly a year old. I know people don't like duplicate threads, but come on...

And anyway, MX1000 ftw.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    This thread is nearly a year old. I know people don't like duplicate threads, but come on...

And anyway, MX1000 ftw.

Yes, I know that it is old, but I don't wanted to open a new thread because of this.

The objective of my post was to know some opinions about that mouses.

Reckoner on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Edit: Nevermind.

Kamar on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been seriously enjoying my G5 since buying it a few months ago. It feels so natural in my hand now. So form-fitting. So... sexy. :winky:

I like my mice pretty light, so I don't even bother with the "weight cartridge" that comes with it. If you like you're mice heftier however, it really does allow you to fine tune the whole experience.

Kris on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One guy at Team Fortress 2 told me that he has one Microsoft Habu and it is really great. I will get it. Thanks for the help, anyway. ;-)

Reckoner on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have the Logitech G5 wired mouse...

I like it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Reckoner wrote: »
    I had two for TF2. When I got critted, so did they.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I think that they solved many problems of the mouse, because it has now something like three years or more in the market. I will get Habu and if it will have any problem, I will return it back.

Reckoner on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a MS wheel mouse optical, an Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 (A free replacement for the IME 3.0 that died, and was a free replacement for a IME 1.0), a MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 and a Logitech MX500.

I have to say that the Logitech is so much better for gaming it's ridiculous. And it's a fucking tank. The Intellimice are flimsy pieces of shit, btw. The MX is lasting years longer, and I work at home, I use the damn thing all day.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Gentlemen, I would like to tell you about my main mouse, the Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical.

babcfaacf.jpg

My hand has been lovingly moving this mouth for nigh a decade.

I have a picture to prove it.

Please ask children, the elderly and pregnant women to leave the room before viewing this image.
    aabclaacf.jpg

LightRider on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BTW, how would I "overclock" my Mx500 to 1000MHz without the drivers (which can't be installed in Vista/7)?

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I think that they solved many problems of the mouse, because it has now something like three years or more in the market. I will get Habu and if it will have any problem, I will return it back.
    No, it's a great mouse in general, but the small pressure points under M1 and M2 are not very resistant to high impact.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is my mouse

It took two days to get used to, but it's a solid mouse, and it's not nearly bright thank goodness.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

No, it's a great mouse in general, but the small pressure points under M1 and M2 are not very resistant to anger(?).

I like my G5. I'd buy another G5, probably because I am so used to it now.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Malkor wrote: »

No, it's a great mouse in general, but the small pressure points under M1 and M2 are not very resistant to anger(?).

I like my G5. I'd buy another G5, probably because I am so used to it now.

Ditto, it's a superb mouse. I've never used the weights though, they've been sitting gathering dust since I bought it a couple of years ago.

I think the problem now is that in terms of mice they've now reached a point where they're just tweaking the same design, nothing much can be improved upon. Ergonomics has been fine for years now, laser mice have ensured accuracy on just about any surface and the buttons are nice and clicky.

I hope they don't start going the route of planned obsolescence where they design it to fail within a time span.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    MX1000 for life.

I dislike the G series by Logitech.

After they stop making MX1000's, I'll probably switch to Microsoft, their mice have been getting steadily better over the past year or two, and the last ones I looked at were pretty close to the mark.

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.