As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join a living world, even though you cease to be. [V:TM Bloodlines]

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A PDF version of Scion Hero was available legally as a free download for a short period of time so it is a game I would be willing to try out.

DarkPrimus on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I must be the only Mage player on earth who knows nothing about Ascension.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Man setting a vampire game in the 1950's or 60's would be fucking dope.

Vampire noir... that's so potentially good it's a bit scary.

I don't think noir means what you think it means.

inconceivable.jpg

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    A PDF version of Scion Hero was available legally as a free download for a short period of time so it is a game I would be willing to try out.

I mean it's 11:30 so everything sounds awesome but yeah if someone would be willing to run it I'd be up for a game of Scion

Me Too! on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought this game some time ago. I ended up getting into a bitchin' haunted house n' stuff.

Then my desktop died and I lost the saved game. And I am too lazy to retrace all those goddamn steps.

Lotsa walkin' around but unlike Troika's previous offering, Arcanum, it wasn't quite as interesting to explore.

Jasconius on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arcanum is my favorite game ever

Dsmart on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shoot, the only reason I know about the Technocracy is because they helped the Kuei-Jin kill the Ravnos Antediluvian when she woke up.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh damn this prosthetics guys place is so creepy

Projeck on
  • scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Damn, that's too bad. I bet you'd like it a lot. I haven't played the new Mage, but the old one was phenomenal at getting players to come up with crazy inventive uses of magic.

scarlet ave. on
    edited June 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    oh damn this prosthetics guys place is so creepy

There's a liquor store named Gimble's that I sometimes see when I'm riding on the train. Always makes me think of that creepy voice.

scarlet ave. on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Mage was always pretty awesome.

Sons of Ether all up ins.

I preferred Orphans. I like my magic more... individualistic.

Edir re: creative uses of magic.

Convenient explosions got boring. Killing an opponent with a super-heated rock falling from the sky is the new hotness.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    edited June 2009

Damn, that's too bad. I bet you'd like it a lot. I haven't played the new Mage, but the old one was phenomenal at getting players to come up with crazy inventive uses of magic.

New Mage has ten different Arcana of magic and a lot of room for creative Thaum, so it seems pretty thorough to me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does Arcanum run on vista? Contemplating playing it, never did before.

L|ama on
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Does Arcanum run on vista? Contemplating playing it, never did before.

yep. and make sure to get the patch that lets you run it windowed and cleans up the ui

Dsmart on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Be sure to play a character with the lowest int possible, if only for the first few conversations.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited June 2009
    God damn it, I just reinstalled Bloodlines and its already frozen once and crashed to desktop once.

I just keep telling myself, it's worth it, it's worth it...

scarlet ave. on
    edited June 2009

New Mage has ten different Arcana of magic and a lot of room for creative Thaum, so it seems pretty thorough to me.

Hm, oh yeah, I didn't mean that the new Mage was bad. As I said, I've never played it. But I can vouch for the supreme excellence of the old one.

scarlet ave. on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    arcanum doesn't really "run" on anything

you install it and perform various tribal dances in the hope that the elder gods of nature will smile on you and it won't crash or encounter a game-breaking bug

Cilla Black on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's totally worth it.

L|ama on
    edited June 2009
    I've never played Arcanum, but I'm considering tracking it down after my second run of Bloodlines.

I also need to check out V:TM Redemption, which I've never played.

As for Bloodlines crashing: that's its way of welcoming you back. Happened to me twice.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    The old mage has all the flexibility required to do anything you could possibly want, provided you are able to pay the cost of your flying in the face of reason and rationality.

I haven't read the new rules.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2009
    In a nutshell, the five Paths(each associated to a different Watchtower which lead to the Mage's awakening) are each attuned to two of the ten Arcana. Each Mage specializes in two of them, with one as an inferior.

There's two kinds of magic: Covert and Vulgar. Covert won't invoke Paradox unless they can inflict disbelief. A freak lightning strike hitting your target will be Covert, but if it happens twice, not so much.

If you do something that's impossible by normal standards, such as opening a portal into the Twilight, then there's a risk of Paradox. The higher a Mage's gnosis(raw talent), the higher the odds of Paradox. The more successes on the Paradox roll, the worse the backlash: ranging from derangements to brands to demons ripping their way out of the abyss into the real world.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    The only part I don't follow is the Watchtowers. Nothing like that really jumps out from my memory of the old mage rules.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    the bit I don't understand is who though bringing fucking atlantis into it was a good idea

Tube on
    edited June 2009
    Then here's where it gets a bit more complex.

Supposedly(though few if any know for sure), magic originated in Atlantis. A few Mages tried to create a gateway to the heavens with their magic to perfect their learning when something went wrong, and the ladder shattered. A few managed to ascend, while the rest were cast down into the fallen world.

When the ladder broke apart, it created a giant abyss in its wake: from which all Paradox comes. The Exarchs control the higher(Supernal) realm, and want to keep the majority of humanity in the dark about magic. A few Mages in the Supernal oppose the Exarchs, and they created the Watchtowers: beacons to help sleepers with the right potential become Mages.

And yeah, I don't get the obsession with Atlantis either, but it's hardly vital to running a game. You can totally ignore it if you want.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    cj: The covert/vulgar distinction and Paradox sound pretty similar. Can you combine the powers from any of the different Paths to create new effects?

Tube: Atlantis?

scarlet ave. on
    edited June 2009
    Atlantis

Tube on
    edited June 2009
    There's an entire section on creating your own rotes using creative thaum, so I would think the sky's the limit.

The Arcana in New Mage, by the by: Death, Fate, Forces, Life, Matter, Mind, Prime, Space, Spirit, and Time.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    Is magic in new mage still not really magic in the traditional sense so much as you bending reality?

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2009
    Is magic in new mage still not really magic in the traditional sense so much as you bending reality?

I don't think that's much of a factor.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    I never understood what Prime does.

Tube on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    new Mage has a lot better rules for the magic than old Mage

but it got rid of Paradigms and brought in all this faggoty Atlantis shit

disappoints me. disappoints me greatly.

Pony on
    edited June 2009
    why would they feel the need to tie in atlantis anyway

mage old world had a perfectly good massive incredibly magical/technological city that wasn't attached to any dumb legends. or even the planet at all, for that matter.

Cilla Black on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What's with all the magic faggotry?

This is the suckrape and necrophilia thread.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never played a tabletop game in my life and now you all have me looking up this Mage shit

Cue like two hours trolling Google

Ledneh on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really want Warriors & Warlocks

it's a book for Mutants & Masterminds, specifically for running fantasy campaigns with those rules.

It looks awesome.

Pony on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I suppose if new Mage has everything I liked about the old game still (other than paradigms) it migght be worth my time to try it out. Paradox, Technocracy, that all still there?

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2009
    Paradox is. Technocracy, no, but it's said the Seers of the Throne(the Exarchs' servants) are pretty close to it.

Also, I just met Therese. I wonder if I can get the Voermans to get along this time.

And Prime are magic-related rotes, conjuring magical items, protecting from magic, that sort of thing.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never played Arcanum, but I'm considering tracking it down after my second run of Bloodlines.

I also need to check out V:TM Redemption, which I've never played.

As for Bloodlines crashing: that's its way of welcoming you back. Happened to me twice.

I've tried Redemption. It's ok, I suppose, but it paled compared to Bloodlines seeing as I tried to play both around the same time. Looking back at it, it kinda gave me a Legacy Of Kain vibe.

Owenashi on
    edited June 2009
    Okay, when I said nothing in the Ocean House was harmful, I lied horribly.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png