As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Champions online!

1565758596062»

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

heh, thats nifty.

"hm, I think I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque"

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I seen a dude pop up from tunneling while I was fighting some guys

he was a cyborg rabbit named Death Paw

pretty bad-ass

Pony on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My problem with Champions Online is that I like the idea of Champions Online much more than the actual game. It has the best of intentions, some great features (like power selection and obviously the character creator) but I just don't enjoy it when it all comes together as a game.
    I think it's mostly the combat - it feels so detatched and unresponsive. Half the time I can't tell if I'm winning a fight, losing a fight, in a fight, attacking someone, being attacked... I'd like to think it will get smoothed out in the beta, but I worry that the problems are just too integral.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    MrSupaflyMrSupafly Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. The first few months playing City of Heroes on release was probably the most fun I have EVER had playing a mmo.

Just the sheer amount and variety of heroes whipping around. I could sit for hours just clicking on people in the train station reading their background stories.

Really hoping I get into beta. I'm not a "hardcore" mmo type guy anymore but this game seems right up my alley and high on the creativity and fun factors.

Gotta ask you lucky enough to be in beta. Can you write out a background story for your character that others can read like in CoX?

Seems like a simple thing but I think it adds a lot to the fun.

MrSupafly on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want to fiddle with the beta just to see how well the character editor functions. For every decent looking character I see 10 shit ones that seem to be moulded out of plastic. By the way, can you tweak how strong the comic book effect visual effect is?

Glal on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The customization and options sound excellent, but I'm concerned about the gameplay still.

I'll just have to give it a whirl myself some day, it sounds promising enough to give it a shot at least.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    I want to fiddle with the beta just to see how well the character editor functions. For every decent looking character I see 10 shit ones that seem to be moulded out of plastic. By the way, can you tweak how strong the comic book effect visual effect is?

It's a video options setting.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thank you good Sir, that is good news indeed. :)

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I vote Pony makes the next thread.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I vote Pony makes the next thread.

I vote someone gives Pony a job in marketing, because he's making me want to play this more and more.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I gotta say after hearing more about this I definitely wanna get this asap.

It really does sound like it is just vast improvements over CoH.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Admittedly, Pony makes me want to stick with a character on the Beta instead of making new ones every day the server is up. I never actually get them far enough into having enough powers to resemble the start of a build.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Admittedly, Pony makes me want to stick with a character on the Beta instead of making new ones every day the server is up. I never actually get them far enough into having enough powers to resemble the start of a build.

the trick is, level up one character really high

use /retcon to try the different powers out, while it's still free to do in the beta

decide on builds that way

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    also, I have a pretty good OP I am working on for the next thread. I will take care of this.

Pony on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    god I want to play this sooooo bad. Like I even entered Buckly's contest, and lost. Like man, I know its random, but every day I check my inbox and am dissappointed.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pony, I am starting to hate you.

My life pales cos I don't have this game.

I think that prehaps real Pony is gone, and a shill has taken possession of his remains.

MrIamMe on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wait till you see the kickin' rad OP I have written for the next CO thread!

I am hereby staking a claim to the creation of such a thread.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pony wrote: »
    Wait till you see the kickin' rad OP I have written for the next CO thread!

I am hereby staking a claim to the creation of such a thread.

We're up to 100 pages. You can make it now if you want. Make sure to include a witty title.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    My problem with Champions Online...
    I think it's mostly the combat - it feels so detatched and unresponsive. Half the time I can't tell if I'm winning a fight, losing a fight, in a fight, attacking someone, being attacked... I'd like to think it will get smoothed out in the beta, but I worry that the problems are just too integral.

This is the problem I always have with standard MMOs, that I did not have with CoX. The autoattack coupled with occasionally using your big attacks while autoattacking just made it feel really... detached. It's wasn't so bad if I was playing a support-style character who also could attack (like whatever it was I had in DAoC - a fighter/healer hybrid who fought with a staff), and it wasn't so bad in WAR with my Warrior Priest... but I always felt vaguely disassociated with what was happening in battles compared to CoX.

Now that I'm hearing CoH is more of a standard MMO playstyle with a superhero theme, I think I'll be waiting for a trial rather than actually buying it on release. The travel powers and the way the frameworks seem to work sounds amazing, though.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Undead Scottsman on
This discussion has been closed.