As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can anyone identify this dinosaur?

OpiumOpium regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So the other day I went to the Museum of Natural History and in the fossil hall I saw this beauty hanging from the ceiling:

411566517_e58a8dd968.jpg

Unfortunately though, I forgot to write down the specific name of this specimen and now that I am going through the photographs I made that day and storing them with species labels etc., this is the only one that I can't seem to find the name of by Googling or on the AMNH website (they only have a few of their fossils listed, not all). So I was hoping a dinosaur expert or AMNH connoisseur here can tell me the exact species name. I know it must be some kind of pliosaur, but which exactly?

Opium on

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hmmm i was just there yesterday, ummm, hmmmm

i know i looked at that
    but i totally forget

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Ichthyosaurus

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff is correct. Also, I'm almost certain that Ichthyosaurs were not technically dinosaurs.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks like a "special" dolphin from google images.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    FyreWulff is correct. Also, I'm almost certain that Ichthyosaurs were not technically dinosaurs.

Yes, technically a dinosaur walks on land and is called that based on its hip structure.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, they were actually aquatic reptiles.

I'm not 100% that skeleton is an ichthyosaur, though. It probably is but the picture is taken at a weird angle and I can't really get a bead on what the skull looks like, but that's probably what it is.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is the hip structure characteristic why things like Dimetrodon aren't considered dinosaurs either?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, that and other kinds of genetic/cladistic reasons I think. IIRC Dimetrodons were actually really old - like, early Triassic/Mesozoic or maybe even in the very late Paleozoic - before true dinosaurs had became very prevalent. Dimetrodon is a big crazy reptile, but not a dinosaur, which is something specific and distinct from reptiles in general.

It's been a long time since I took that class, though, so somebody else can probably clarify much better than I can.

EDIT: Looks like Dimetrodon was actually a theropsid, or a mammal-like reptile and did in fact live in the Permian period. Neato.

Duffel on
  • Options
    ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is the hip structure characteristic why things like Dimetrodon aren't considered dinosaurs either?

There are both "bird hipped" and "lizard hipped" dinosaurs. Ornithischian are the bird hipped, and Saurischian = lizard hipped. But, Dimetrodon wasn't a dinosaur, and it didn't stand up like dinosaurs...it's legs were more out to the side like a komodo dragon, or many of todays lizards.

:( I read too much dinosaur shit as a kid.

Thylacine on