As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 6/17/09: Good God, Bigby

2»

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah...couldn't he just have visited Dr. Strange and had him cast some sort of mind wiping spell and saved a whole lot of time and trouble?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I guess I did have Incognito 3. I kind of remember parts of it, I think. Anyway, I read issue four, and it was really good. Zak is in way over his head, I don't see how things can get worse for him, but I am sure they will. It is a Brubaker noir book, after all.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah...couldn't he just have visited Dr. Strange and had him cast some sort of mind wiping spell and saved a whole lot of time and trouble?

For some reason, I seem to remember him explicitly saying that something along these lines is not an option, and then gave some nonsense reason about technology and brains and I think equating a brain to a hard drive, but I don't remember the specifics (in fact, don't even remember if I'm making this up or not).

Delduwath on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The actual story that was told in the Action Comics Annual wasn't bad. However, I didn't much care for the method in which it was told. There was practically no dialog at all. The entire story was told through a very heavy-handed narration. It was a bit much at times. Even still, the whole Religious Guild stuff was pretty cool, and the artwork was awesome. I don't know if I've ever read anything by Pere Perez before, but wow. He does a good job.

I liked the Religious Guild parts, but it seemed like everything else had already been told. That plus the method and the fact that I didn't really enjoy the coloring (it was very murky) kind of upset me.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    The actual story that was told in the Action Comics Annual wasn't bad. However, I didn't much care for the method in which it was told. There was practically no dialog at all. The entire story was told through a very heavy-handed narration. It was a bit much at times. Even still, the whole Religious Guild stuff was pretty cool, and the artwork was awesome. I don't know if I've ever read anything by Pere Perez before, but wow. He does a good job.

I liked the Religious Guild parts, but it seemed like everything else had already been told. That plus the method and the fact that I didn't really enjoy the coloring (it was very murky) kind of upset me.

I loved the very final page of the issue. That Flamebird costume is awesome. I'd like to see them use that costume rather than the armored one from the front cover. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to scan or I'd upload the final page.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    you got an image of the altered batsuit from winnick's book or booster gold?

You can see some pencil pages featuring it here.

It's basically Bruce's suit, except with the glove scallops attached to bracers instead of the gloves themselves, and a big, metal belt that looks really impractical.

To be fair Batman's costume has very rarely been drawn consistently from artist to artist.

Furu on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Marvel Zombies 4 #3 was a pretty good read, Deadpool was funny as usual though I don't know how hte Jennifer Kale deal will work with Hood.

I also don't understand, but am glad, why deals with the devil reduce her to a demonic thong bikini and the Hood gets...well gets more clothing.

Although can someone tell me why Zombie Deadpool isn't hungry anymore?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Marvel Zombies 4 #3 was a pretty good read, Deadpool was funny as usual though I don't know how hte Jennifer Kale deal will work with Hood.

I also don't understand, but am glad, why deals with the devil reduce her to a demonic thong bikini and the Hood gets...well gets more clothing.

He's doing it ironically.

Weaver on
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

If a zombie goes long enough without eating they lose the urge.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was also amazed they got some child dismemberment in there.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Dark Reign Fantastic Four.

Fuck Reed, talk about an ego.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

"Of course! The problem all along was ever taking anyone else's ideas into account!"

desc on
  • Options
    BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    desc wrote: »

"Of course! The problem all along was ever taking anyone else's ideas into account!"

Hahaha, personally I like the epiphany. Seriously, look at the other 'big brains' of the MU. Who are they? Tony Stark (great fucking call on SHRA, genius)... Hank Pym, except he was a Skrull... and who? Xavier? He's getting into bed with Osborn, so he's out. Dr. Strange isn't sorceror supreme anymore. Etc etc...

Egotistical or not, at this point 616 is probably in better hands with Reed calling the shots and ignoring the opinions of the Tony Starks of the world.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't think Tony was wrong for siding with the SHRA. I think his reasoning behind doing it was sound, but the story was written in the Anti-Regs favor so Tony looked like a villain by the end.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hey, if the writers decide he's the smartest man in the world and legitimately capable of solving all the world's problems single-handedly, then he is. You can't apply conventional principles about the necessity of checks and balances to compensate for flaws that everyone has when the character in question is designed to be above those flaws.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Hey, if the writers decide he's the smartest man in the world and legitimately capable of solving all the world's problems single-handedly, then he is. You can't apply conventional principles about the necessity of checks and balances to compensate for flaws that everyone has when the character in question is designed to be above those flaws.

Flawless logic, as usual, Robos.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I wish they'd never done the whole "Starck/Stane/Os-tech" bullshit and tried to keep some manner of reality to how electronics actually work.

Weaver on
  • Options
    KidDorkKidDork Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My MOTW was Streets of Gotham. I didn't read Battle For The Cowl, so it was nice to get back to a decent Batman story again. Manhunter was a good series, and it's nice to see it getting a second chance. The 'Second Feature' tag on the cover was also appreciated.

And Red Robin was better than I expected.

KidDork on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hahaha, personally I like the epiphany. Seriously, look at the other 'big brains' of the MU. Who are they? Tony Stark (great fucking call on SHRA, genius)... Hank Pym, except he was a Skrull... and who? Xavier? He's getting into bed with Osborn, so he's out. Dr. Strange isn't sorceror supreme anymore. Etc etc...

Egotistical or not, at this point 616 is probably in better hands with Reed calling the shots and ignoring the opinions of the Tony Starks of the world.

Did the Hood finally take the role? I loved The Hood in his first MAX run and i've been trying to keep up with him ever since but they throw him around between so many damn titles.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I don't think Tony was wrong for siding with the SHRA. I think his reasoning behind doing it was sound, but the story was written in the Anti-Regs favor so Tony looked like a villain by the end.

Considering that one of the major points of the Anti-Reg side was that the government couldn't their identities, since someone like, say, Norman Osborn would eventually gain access to them...

Was the editorial biased? Sure, but the concerns that the anti-reg side voiced were legitimate.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Did the Hood finally take the role? I loved The Hood in his first MAX run and i've been trying to keep up with him ever since but they throw him around between so many damn titles.

What role? Sorceror Supreme?
    Latest New Avengers preview confirms that the new SS is Brother Voodoo.

BostonGangler on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

What role? Sorceror Supreme?
    Latest New Avengers preview confirms that the new SS is Brother Voodoo.

But as a consolation prize his Dark Reign mini is off to a good start.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

Considering that one of the major points of the Anti-Reg side was that the government couldn't their identities, since someone like, say, Norman Osborn would eventually gain access to them...

Was the editorial biased? Sure, but the concerns that the anti-reg side voiced were legitimate.
    Well yes, but so were those voiced by the Regs. The problem was that it simply wasn't handled or written all that well.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It was all because no one at Marvel wrote down the law and what it had in it, so it varied from series to series.

DR: FF was only supposed to be a 4 issue mini, but it turned into 5 it seems. And were the Franklin/Val Home Alone scenes any good?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish there was something even remotely in the same universe as Fables this week, but aside from that it was all shit.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My moment of the week last week was definitely getting my hands on the 3rd Omnibus for Starman. It had the Shade Mini-series with the Ludlow family, the story arc with Dr. Pip the mad bomber, and the beginnings of Jack's trip into space. All good stuff.

I'd probably be with everyone on the Fables stuff, except I'm collecting it in trades and trying very hard not to spoil myself until I get it in trade. Volume 12 doesn't come out until August so it's killing me to not know what's going on.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    DR: FF was only supposed to be a 4 issue mini, but it turned into 5 it seems. And were the Franklin/Val Home Alone scenes any good?

They were ok. Val had a funny scene with something she built on the spot, but I'm getting concerned about how writers other than Millar are writing her now. I realize she's supposed to be 2-ish, but Millar wrote her as brilliant while everyone else writes her as a kid who makes stuff.

Blingston Hughes on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Can't remember if it applies to this week or not, but a couple of GotG moments were great.
    "FOR ATTILAN!"

"FOR...Cleveland?"

And Cosmo
    Being licked by Lockjaw, "Are you God?"

Weaver on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Can't remember if it applies to this week or not, but a couple of GotG moments were great.
    "FOR ATTILAN!"

"FOR...Cleveland?"

And Cosmo
    Being licked by Lockjaw, "Are you God?"

Where did you read this? I can't figure out if I've missed a GoG issue. o_O

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's because they are in the issue that comes out tomorrow (June 24). They were shown in a preview or as ref art in a DnA interview last week.

Crimsondude on