As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join a living world, even though you cease to be. [V:TM Bloodlines]

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Me Too! wrote: »
    Like what do you want to know because there's a metric shitload to explain with oWoD and three quarters of one for nWoD

Well break down the sides for me in each version and how they relate to each other first off.

Owenashi on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    How are this game's system requirements

you pigfuckers are making me actually consider getting it :<

can you run HL:2?

maybe? I haven't tried on this computer. It's last year's Macbook Pro

this should be fine then

do you have bootcamp though?

I can't remember if this is mac compatible

PiptheFair on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have bootcamp and Vista

I guess what I'm concerned about is the scary factor. I made it through, say, Bioshock with no problems, but I doubt I could get through FEAR or System Shock 2.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Like what do you want to know because there's a metric shitload to explain with oWoD and three quarters of one for nWoD

Well break down the sides for me in each version and how they relate to each other first off.

here you go dude.

Metzger Meister on
    edited June 2009

I guess what I'm concerned about is the scary factor. I made it through, say, Bioshock with no problems, but I doubt I could get through FEAR or System Shock 2.

fear is not scary so much as it is BOO LITTLE GIRL 50 fucking times

this however is kinda creepy, but not shit your pants like undying or ss2

PiptheFair on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

Which sides because again

Metric shitload

Both versions have the three core books, Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage, and then more supplemental series

old WoD had a shitton, nWoD has three and a fourth one is coming out in a couple months

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009

here you go dude.

Cute. :)

Owenashi on
    edited June 2009

yeah that's my understanding about FEAR and that's the shit I have the most trouble dealing with, is the cheap jump-scares all the time.

I know that this is atmospheric but it might be too much for me. I don't knoow. I wish I could think of more recent scary games to give an impression of what I can handle.

Oh well. If I buy this off steam, can I mod it, or is steam still a bitch about that?

Charles Kinbote on
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

here you go dude.

Well you're basically asking people to spew forth pages of explanation for your own benefit.

I'm not sure if you properly judged the work to reward ratio for everyone who isn't you.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    edited June 2009

here you go dude.

Seriously man be a little more specific

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009

yeah that's my understanding about FEAR and that's the shit I have the most trouble dealing with, is the cheap jump-scares all the time.

I know that this is atmospheric but it might be too much for me. I don't knoow. I wish I could think of more recent scary games to give an impression of what I can handle.

Oh well. If I buy this off steam, can I mod it, or is steam still a bitch about that?

there are mods and fan patches out

check the g&t thread

PiptheFair on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    shank, get it and tell us what you think of the ocean house :)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited June 2009
    vsove wrote: »

here you go dude.

Well you're basically asking people to spew forth pages of explanation for your own benefit.

I'm not sure if you properly judged the work to reward ratio for everyone who isn't you.

Sorry. I suppose I wanted to know first off if there was some sort of paper-rock-scissors deal between Mages, Werewolves and Vampires. I'm also curious if there's any really big-bads. Cain I suppose counts as a big good guy judging from what I've seen in Bloodlines..

Owenashi on
    edited June 2009

here you go dude.

Sorry. I suppose I wanted to know first off if there was some sort of paper-rock-scissors deal between Mages, Werewolves and Vampires. I'm also curious if there's any really big-bads. Cain I suppose counts as a big good guy judging from what I've seen in Bloodlines..

No to the first and everyone has their own big bads, at least in nWoD

Werewolves have Cthulu-esque beings that fuck up everything on the rare occasions they awake, Vampires have VII and Belial's Brood, and Mages have the Exarchs

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009

here you go dude.

Werewolves have Cthulu-esque beings that fuck up everything on the rare occasions they awake, Vampires have VII and Belial's Brood, and Mages have the Exarchs

Ok, I looked up VII and Belial's Brood on that WoD-wiki. So if I get it right, the first's some mystery group who might be a) Vampire princes trying to bring back the city of Gomorrah, b) Vampires pissed off over some broken promise or c) a group of assassins put together via a mishmash of science and magic. And BB are vamps who just act however they want, not caring if it exposes magic and other vamps and the like. Couldn't find an article on Exarchs though.

Owenashi on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh man I am enjoying this so much. Why had I never played this game before? Playing as a Malkavian is so much fun.

Some of these reply options are fucking hilarious.

The best part I've seen so far is
    The technobabble you can say to the nurse about 2 minutes into the game to get Mercurio's morphine is exactly the same as the non-Malk's

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited June 2009
    Man do you have AIM

Get on AIM

Me Too! on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Projeck wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    First run? Basic.

oh, crap

i already started one on plus

should i reinstall or..?

There's nothing wrong with plus, but you might appreciate the new stuff more on a second run. It's no big deal.

oh, okay

i just went to some house on a beach and then these dudes with bats starting beating me up

where can i get a weapon :B

If you can't beat up a couple of dudes with bats with a host of vampiric powers at your disposal just give up and play another game.

i used this hysteria thing on all of them and paused the game

god dammit, projeck

beat the shit out of them and drink their blood

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok, I gotta ask, can I take a stat above 5 via spells and shit, and thusly, can a feat ever be above 10?

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

here you go dude.

Ok, I looked up VII and Belial's Brood on that WoD-wiki. So if I get it right, the first's some mystery group who might be a) Vampire princes trying to bring back the city of Gomorrah, b) Vampires pissed off over some broken promise or c) a group of assassins put together via a mishmash of science and magic. And BB are vamps who just act however they want, not caring if it exposes magic and other vamps and the like. Couldn't find an article on Exarchs though.

Exarchs are servants to the Seers of the Throne, Mages who ascended to the Supernal Realm and want to keep humanity in the dark about magic.

They undermine the efforts of typical Mages at any opportunity.

The gameplay is designed(at least in NWoD) so that if it comes to a cross-supernatural battle, the odds are fairly balanced. All dice rolls involve adding the required stats together(I.e. Wits + Composure, Dexterity+Occult+[Arcana Level]), and using the combined amount of d10s. 8 and up is a success, 10s are rerolled.

There can only be a dramatic failure if you're reduced to no dice, which gives the player a chance 1d10 roll. Get a 1 on that, and bad things happen.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    Exarchs are servants to the Seers of the Throne, Mages who ascended to the Supernal Realm and want to keep humanity in the dark about magic.

They undermine the efforts of typical Mages at any opportunity.

The gameplay is designed(at least in NWoD) so that if it comes to a cross-supernatural battle, the odds are fairly balanced. All dice rolls involve adding the required stats together(I.e. Wits + Composure, Dexterity+Occult+[Arcana Level]), and using the combined amount of d10s. 8 and up is a success, 10s are rerolled.

There can only be a dramatic failure if you're reduced to no dice, which gives the player a chance 1d10 roll. Get a 1 on that, and bad things happen.

Thanks, CJ. :)

Owenashi on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, definitely fuck the sewers. Shit took forever.

sarukun on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's all uphill from there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    That phrase has always confused me.

Charles Kinbote on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That phrase has always confused me.

I think it means "this gets better"! It probably originated not on its own but rather as an antagonist phrase to the commonly used phrase-family structured around the adjective "downhill" e.g. "This place has gone downhill".

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    vtm_laugh.jpg

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    That's got to be one of the best responses in an RPG ever

Tube on
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Romero's a weird guy.

Metzger Meister on
    edited June 2009
    Oh man Hunter finally put out a general bad guy supp and it's really good

Between this and Slasher and Geist in August White Wolf has some quality shit coming out/out recently

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    There's so many good PC responses.
    You're here for Therese, aren't you?

-I'm sure as hell not here to see you.

Shame they're not voice acted. The only thing better than the PC dialogues in The Witcher is hearing Geralt's deadpan VA say them.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    I'm actually glad they're not voice acted. I'd only skip them anyway.

Tube on
  • scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Between this and Slasher and Geist in August White Wolf has some quality shit coming out/out recently

Hmm... I had originally intended not to bother with nWoD on account of I already own like fifty oWoD books. But I got the new Changeling last week, and it is very much the sex. Now you and cj are making me want to try a cross-class game, too, since that never worked in the old system. (Seriously, having vampires and mages and werewolves work together in a game was fucking impossible.)

Is the new Werewolf any good?

scarlet ave. on
    edited June 2009
    There's another thing about games that has advanced pretty far since this game was made; player character interaction with npcs and shit.

Rargh I want a new wod rpg. :<

Metzger Meister on
    edited June 2009

Hmm... I had originally intended not to bother with nWoD on account of I already own like fifty oWoD books. But I got the new Changeling last week, and it is very much the sex. Now you and cj are making me want to try a cross-class game, too, since that never worked in the old system. (Seriously, having vampires and mages and werewolves work together in a game was fucking impossible.)

Is the new Werewolf any good?

NWoD was practically designed for a cross-class game, if you want.

I play a Mage in one. I think vampires are the minority. It's mostly werewolves, a handful of mages, and maybe a couple Changelings.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never played Arcanum, but I'm considering tracking it down after my second run of Bloodlines.

I also need to check out V:TM Redemption, which I've never played.

As for Bloodlines crashing: that's its way of welcoming you back. Happened to me twice.

I've tried Redemption. It's ok, I suppose, but it paled compared to Bloodlines seeing as I tried to play both around the same time. Looking back at it, it kinda gave me a Legacy Of Kain vibe.

Redemption definitely had its moments. I played it a couple of years before Bloodlines though, and Bloodlines improved upon it in just about every way possible.

My favorite part was probably running around in a trench coat with a blood-sucking sword. I would use celerity and dash around a corner and behind a guy before taking his head off (I might be imagining the actual head taking off part, but it was still very bad ass at the time).

Oh and being able to alternate freezing someone solid and then boil their blood was fairly amusing.

Sticks on
    edited June 2009
    wait so guys doorbell and I are gonna play through this together

you can apply an unofficial patch to the steam version, right?

Charles Kinbote on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sarukun wrote: »
    Yeah, definitely fuck the sewers. Shit took forever.

Now imagine having to punch those abortion monsters to death instead of shooting them like a big veejayjay.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
    edited June 2009
    you realise you can just

run past them right

Tube on
    edited June 2009
    so the clans in this game

there's a crazy fun one that I'm not supposed to play my first time