As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join a living world, even though you cease to be. [V:TM Bloodlines]

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always thought Toreador were supposed to be the smooth talking charismatic guys

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I always thought Toreador were supposed to be the smooth talking charismatic guys

Those are the liberal arts majors.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    even though everyone says not to play Malk your first time through I just might

I just love crazy people so much

either that or uh Ventrue because mental domination is raaad

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toreador are basically the emo kids

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

naw, they're the fine arts majors

malkavians are the liberal arts majors

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I tried a Malkavian right off myself.

I accidentally missed the tutorial because of the player speech options.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

naw, they're the fine arts majors

malkavians are the liberal arts majors

I stand corrected.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BYToady wrote: »

Yeah that's the problem playing Malk first

You REALLY aren't gonna know what the fuck without a sound grounding

really, the NPCs you're talking to will understand you better than you do

Ledneh on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Toreadors have celerity and something else, which is almost game-breaking in its easiness later on in the game

Also, they can rock with guns as a result

They're actually pretty easy to play and are a good choice first-time as they can go everywhere, looking pretty much human, and have lots of humanity plus if you have a lot in charisma (which you should) a lot of great, new dialogue options are opened up to you

Janson on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Beckett is awesome.

And Toreador? Think Anne Rice types. That's Toreador.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I am not sure I'm gonna play through this more than once

Should I seriously, absolutely not play Malkavians the first time, or is it more of a "if you're new to RPGs and don't wanna get killed, don't play these guys" things

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a 'you won't have a fucking clue what's going on' thing

You'll certainly be able to play the game without getting killed

But you'll find it difficult to know what dialogue option to choose, and you won't get the full benefit of the dialogue, either

Janson on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If this game didn't have the combat-only plot-centric missions, it'd probably be my favorite game of all time.

As is, it's like 90% awesome, 10% "Augh, what the fuck, fuck this shit"

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Janson wrote: »

But you'll find it difficult to know what dialogue option to choose, and you won't get the full benefit of the dialogue, either

Yep, people say play them second because once you've been through the dialogue once, the Malkavian stuff starts to make a twisted sense, filled with foreshadowing and other stuff that's just plain confusing if you haven't seen more normal dialogue first

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Janson wrote: »

so I really should go with a different clan the first time then

argh blah

well it's probably betweeeeeeen Gangrel and Tremere

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As someone that has thoroughly explored the game, I would recommend the Ventrue for a first-timer. They have fortitude for survivability, presence to weaken the enemy and make them easier to kill, and dominate for various social situations and stealth missions. Plus they're classy as fuck and have a slightly easier time dealing with the authorities.

Between Gangrel and Tremere, I'd say go with Tremere. The stealth missions are an incredible pain in the ass when you don't have obfuscate/dominate/celerity.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yeah, I was just looking at Ventrue. It's not their ease which appeals to me; it's the fact that they have unique dialogue options. That thing is always a hook.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    Almost every clan has unique dialogue options.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If this game didn't have the combat-only plot-centric missions, it'd probably be my favorite game of all time.

As is, it's like 90% awesome, 10% "Augh, what the fuck, fuck this shit"

Actually, I can also apply this exact same criticism to Troika's other big game, Arcanum.

"Here's an introduction to the world, where you're thrust into the middle of a situation you barely understand. Mystery! Danger! It's awesome! Now, here's a city where you see all the different factions and forces, witnessing how they interact with each other and how their ideologies conflict. And it's awesome! Then we show you each and every faction and element in depth, individually, and it's not nearly as interesting as when everything was mingled together and you had genuine choice. And now here's a section where all you can possibly do is fight your way out, even though we tricked you into thinking you could talk and sneak your way through anything. And now here's a game-crippling bug that will also fuck your saves."

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love both games. But it's frustrating how much squandered potential they both had.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game sure can make your blood boil sometimes.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the bugs can get a little long in the tooth

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, I need a game cube memory card.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Almost every clan has unique dialogue options.

agh that complicates things

barf argh

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm a bit confused on how the Gangrels' clan bonus is supposed to work... You get more powerful when you frenzy, but isn't the point to not go into frenzy? Seems kind of lame.

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is that a catch-22?

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "the point" isn't not to go into frenzy. It can be good or bad depending on the situation. In this case since the situation is "you become and unstoppable killing machine" it's not so bad.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the thing that kinda turns me off of the Ventrue is I get the sense that they're the all-around skilled, relatively easy class that is meant for beginners, and I never really like to play those guys.

am I just being a crazy person

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    that feeding restriction shouldn't be anything to sneeze at

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the thing that kinda turns me off of the Ventrue is I get the sense that they're the all-around skilled, relatively easy class that is meant for beginners, and I never really like to play those guys.

am I just being a crazy person

No, the ventrue are just meant to be the posh vampires. Their weakness is that drinking blood from a poor person disgusts them so much that they vomit.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    that weakness is going to fuck your mouth in at least one part of the game

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zoel wrote: »
    that feeding restriction shouldn't be anything to sneeze at

fair enough

I mostly meant in regards to their skills - they seem pretty geared to become good at ranged stuff or melee stuff or magic stuff, but not as good as other clans at each

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ledneh wrote: »

Um, it's my first playthrough and I am a Malk, and it's really not hard to understand unless you failed high school english.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Eddy wrote: »
    Ledneh wrote: »

Um, it's my first playthrough and I am a Malk, and it's really not hard to understand unless you failed high school english.

But what if he didn't pick the "needlessly prickish" trait when he rolled his character?

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Ventrue aren't really geared toward any particular path. They have no potence or protean for melee, no celerity or auspex for ranged, and a moderate "magic" discipline in Dominate. There are times and situations for all of those, but with Ventrue there are no places where you think to yourself "shit, sure wish I hadn't chosen Ventrue". Well, there's one place where that'll happen, but that's fewer than any of the other clans get.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Ventrue aren't really geared toward any particular path. They have no potence or protean for melee, no celerity or auspex for ranged, and a moderate "magic" discipline in Dominate. There are times and situations for all of those, but with Ventrue there are no places where you think to yourself "shit, sure wish I hadn't chosen Ventrue". Well, there's one place where that'll happen, but that's fewer than any of the other clans get.

There is not a single point in my game where I was bummed about picking Malk.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm sorry I don't get frozen in place when ambiguous dialogue pops up. A lot of the Malkavian responses are Shakespearean or the result of your madness network senses tingling.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    malk ain't that hard to understand

shank, ventrue's strength is in their social abilities and their weakness is in the physical side of things. at least, fluff-wise. there's no noob class, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

nosferatu is probably the hardest one to play though, what with the whole "you violate masquerade on sight" thing

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    malk ain't that hard to understand

shank, ventrue's strength is in their social abilities and their weakness is in the physical side of things. at least, fluff-wise. there's no noob class, everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

nosferatu is probably the hardest one to play though, what with the whole "you violate masquerade on sight" thing

Yeah... yeah.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've never played Nosferatu. How does that even work? It seems you'd miss out on half the quests if you aren't allowed to talk to mortals.

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Koshian wrote: »
    I started playing this game again

playing a tremere

blood shield aw yes

I love blood boil. The ingame description says that it makes people explode. It misses out the part "...with the force of a nuclear bomb."

Starcross on