As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limp [DOODLE]

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That texture is mucho overpowering grenn, is it just the compression?

and yes to a biplane, or better yet a nutty quad-plane (more wings are always better), and a cloud with evil undertones, because nobody ever suspects the cloud.

Mustang on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I've ditched the dark background now... kept some of the texture but it's on a white bg.

A plane of some kind was already on my list -- I love the idea of an evil cloud, that's going on too!

Grenn on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drop the texture back a little. Or find something a little more natural looking.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My aunt runs an art tour in CA, and she passes out an envelope for donations. She asked if i would draw on one for her. SO i did a Mucha study..and this is the result..Thoughts?
    envelope.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pretty nice study.

I also always liked that one cus the girl is flippin the bird in it.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Wakkawa. I love mucha

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    <3 Mucha

Okay, so this animation has SERIOUS issues. I'm trying to catalog them and get a grip on what needs to be done on the whole before I start touching up individual frames. There are numerous issues with pixelation, coloring, and general put-togetherness. What I'm looking for are critiques on fluidity - I know the orientation of the feet will probably jump out at most people as the most obvious problem - rest assured they'll be fixed, but not until I have the animation smoothed out.

RunAnimation.gif

Spritesheet spoilered for h-scroll
    Locomotion.png

Here's what I've picked up on so far:
    Gap between 3/4 too great
    Gap between 4/5 too small
    Gap between 5/6 too small
    Gap between 6/7 too great
    Gap between 8/9 too great

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand, I've noticed this in your animations so far, but have always been too far away from your posts to really say much. But your run animation doesn't account for the fact that a person's head and torso go up and down with the movements of their legs. That waist should be rising and falling, along with the head.

Here's an example of what I mean: Look at the "run" section. His head goes up and down.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    That link gives me a 404 radar, but I think this it what you're getting at:
    SurvivalKit_WCBasics_pg108.jpg

Delz, if you dont have it, This Book will save your life when it comes to animation principals.

Iruka on
  • Options
    Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes, that exactly. Thanks, Iruka.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well, in the last animation I did, I only had a 1 pixel shift from frame to frame because I was learning from SNES/NES era sprites while creating them at a much higher res. There is more movement in the head/torso (which is followed with a slight delay by bounce in the arms/gun) of this one. But I omitted the upper body from the animation because I haven't animated the torso and the arms are out of whack. That's why I was hesitant to post this:

RunAnimationB.gif

I've approximated the bounce as best I could from the frame numbers, but I wanted to get the feet right so I could better match it with the step/pass frames.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Your guy seems caught between walk and run, He doesn't want to straiten his legs or bend his knees.
    Spoiled for H scroll:
    runcycle.jpg

The pencil is a walk, Your guy seems to have no weight, he isn't pushing off from the ground or falling into his step any. Hes basically walking the way you would mime walking with two fingers in the air, and you want him to hit the ground and spring off.

Hope that helps.

Iruka on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh that iruka, always being so secretively amazing

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Work ive been up to today. I love uni holidays!
    Took ages to get perspective right.

2u724b5.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh that iruka, always being so secretively amazing

man it's no big secret!
    girl is pretty outwardly amazing

beavotron on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's a print I'll be selling on July 1 at a cute little exhibition! 3 x prints for $30, 6 x prints for $50! About 8 or 9 artists.

yolandaprojectcopy2.jpg

(yes it's one of my paintings cropped and inverted and desaturated -- technical requirements for the paper things were being printed on and a fucked deadline. I still like it though.)

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    robits someday when i'm not poor, i am going to commission you to paint me cute little things to hang on my walls in my room.

very few things hang on those walls

actually right now i have a minus the bear poster print which is incredible, a darwynn cooke original comic page inked and signed and everything that i gave humble for chrimmus, and then hopefully i'll get around to hanging up the ferrets iruka painted me. they used to sit on a little shelf over my ferret's cages and they'd always try to lick the paint.
    they were so silly.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm just glad my post elicited a story about ferrets! Hugs for beavs.

Hugs for errybody.

I think my flu rablets are tipping in.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Deleted. too large!

repost soon :)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Iruka wrote: »
    *snip*

I hope people tell you on a daily basis how wonderful you are, because that is probably the most helpful thing I could have imagined.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Daw thanks Delz. I'm an animation major, so these are things I'd better know at this point. Glad I could help.

Iruka on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    robits someday when i'm not poor, i am going to commission you to paint me cute little things to hang on my walls in my room.

actually right now i have a minus the bear poster print which is incredible, a darwynn cooke original comic page inked and signed and everything that i gave humble for chrimmus, and then hopefully i'll get around to hanging up the ferrets iruka painted me. they used to sit on a little shelf over my ferret's cages and they'd always try to lick the paint.
    they were so silly.

which darwyn cooke page if you don't mind me asking?

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

they were so silly.

I thought this was "darwin's cookie" that god awful webcomic that floated through here a few days ago.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I made the connection each time I saw that shit. It's like calling your shit "Jack's Curby" or "Leonardo's Dove in Chi"

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd never heard of darwyn cooke before now.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ah. Ballin' ass comic artist with a heavy-inked, retro 60s kind of style. He did the DC New Frontier comic that was made into an animated feature a year or two back.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

they were so silly.

its the origin of karin grace from new frontier

humble on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    pic128.jpg

I had the colors as red and blue, but then it just kinda looked like the obama pictures and then I picture obama with big boobs.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hey wakkawa, thats nsfw

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    RandomActionRandomAction Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wakka, I like alot

Do you sell prints of your stuff? I know you got that book, but I'm thinking of more wall decoration.

RandomAction on
    [SIGPIC]http://random2action.com[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    All I know is that I want to squeeze those bad boys, so it's gotta be on the money.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    hey wakkawa, thats nsfw

Not where Wakkawa wants to work!

Ahem.

RunAnimationC.gif

Spritesheet (spoilered for h-scroll)
    RunCycle.png

I really studied those sequences Iruka gave me, along with a few other materials I found. I realized that my problem was that I was trying to extrapolate an entire animation from the placement of the thighs. So I scrapped everything I had and decided to start with just a floating hip structure.

Fake edit: Is spoilering for h-scroll breakage still a thing? I know it destroyed the forum window in the old forum versions, but it doesn't anymore.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Looks way more like running. Its skipping between 4 and 5 because of how far back the foots landing on the ground. You need an inbetween.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    RunAnimationC.gif old
    RunAnimationD.gif new

Edit: I don't mean to dominate the thread - should I create a new thread for this stuff since it's a lot of critique and refinement?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    i don't mind. people want to have art in here they should post more.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i wouldn't mind it having it's own thread so the ref between old stuff and new and just the general progression is more clear.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Agree with Zerg, it's cool to have it in here, but it's harder to follow your progress.

Mustang on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    doing a series of character portraits for my d&d group.

xerxes_teamkill.jpg

to me, it's really amazing how much i've gotten better at heads after only a day of doing loomis studies.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    exitexit Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hrrrgh. tried to do exaggeration but not have it look like ass

progress4.jpg

WIP but i need to not look at it for a while and see if i have any good ideas

getting.. better with color, i think? maybe. i dunno

exit on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I would have maybe tried a shorter haircut to accentuate the long neck and make it look more deliberate, rather than 'i had a stroke when I was doing the neck'... Also the highlights along the throat sort of make it look like she has weird neck flaps.

desperaterobots on
This discussion has been closed.