As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gee, gosh, I'm making a thread for my arts. More posted.

Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hi,

This is my thread to post my art in and such. I don't normally post art here! I'm shy, damnit! I know I'm not that good. Maybe it's just me though. Some people say my stuff is beautiful. Enough about me. This is my favorite forum to visit for art related stuff because you guys (and gals) are amazing at what you do. You critique well and suggest, support too.

So here's a self portrait I did today.
selfportrait.jpg
Please do what you guys do and help me be a better artist.
I will post more as I do it.
Also! I feel stuck as an artist in that I'll never get better than I am now. Do you all ever get that feeling?

Arden Canelo on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Don't worry about getting better as an artist. I think everyone goes through that. Just practice, practice, practice and you are bound to get better. Just be sure to put the effort in.

It's a little hard to critique this piece. It's really just a short sketch. If you're going for realistic illustration, keep in mind people don't have outlines like this. You can start out with outlines on the sketch to develop forms and shapes, but depending on what you're going for, you'll want shading to show your forms as opposed to outlines. Hope that helps. Draw draw draw!

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So you need a more complete piece of artwork to critique? I can do that.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can tell you right now that you're not as aware of structure as you should be. It is without doubt the biggest area any new artist needs to work on, I still struggle with it on a daily basis and I think I will be the rest of my life.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Progress of about 30 minutes. Im'a slow with tha photoshops.
    SelfPortraitcolor.jpg

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How are you working on this? Are you using a mirror? Photo reference? Any way you cut it you are struggling with classic observational problems as Mustang began to touch on. This is something that will really only make sense when you have some experience under your belt, but right now you stuck in a look->recognize->draw from simplified memory process. What you need to work towards is a totally unfettered look->draw what you see process.

Based on what you've posted so far I'm also going to recommend against using photoshop. You don't need a tool like that and honestly you aren't ready for it. You should be focusing on fundamentals and learning observational skills, which is something you only really need a pencil and paper to begin on.

As far as the sense of not improving--Art is a harsh mistress. You generally learn slowly enough that at most times it can seem like you're going nowhere at all, but it is basically incontrovertible fact that if you put time in you are going to improve. Only after you've been studying for months or years however, do you ever assemble the body of work that lets you look back in time and see clearly that you actually have improved. Patience and perseverance will be your best friends, and are qualities you should try to cultivate.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    lMy brain has a man crush on your brain Scosglen. Or rather my brain is totally gay for your wisdom. I figured I would be told I was at this level and I am.

I mean cumulativly I've been drwing for at least 5 years? I'm 26 now, but I've never actually pushed myself to draw more than a little a day or week. So, I'm glad you guys are great encouragement. I like being crit'd. And thanks.

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you tryin' real hard for a rap face, there.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    lI mean cumulativly I've been drwing for at least 5 years? I'm 26 now, but I've never actually pushed myself to draw more than a little a day or week. So, I'm glad you guys are great encouragement. I like being crit'd. And thanks.

Thats how i was. I was drawing from around 12 through 17 (end of high school), but my stuff never progressed far because i only did it on weekends, and that was mainly gundam wing or dragonball fan art :) i stopped for a few years but its only been the last year where ive really progressed far because ive forced myself to draw everyday and paint every weekend. All you need to do is commit yourself to drawing more than you already have. On the bus, while waiting for dinner to finish cooking, while watching your favorite tv shows (i draw every night while watching the tonight show). Also, look up artists. Who inspires you? Its really good to get you motivated to draw.

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you tryin' real hard for a rap face, there.

HAH yeah.

But hey, you draw lips better then I do. Try thinning the top lip more on your next drawing. Just a little. And your bottom one aswell. Same width, just a little more smushed i guess.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    ManonvonSuperrock - I googled rap face and yes I see what you mean by that.
    winter combat knight - you guys inspire me enough already :P, but I have my websites.
    Shiekahn_boy - I'm glad to know that someone thinks I can draw decent lips.

EDIT CAUSE I FORGOT
    This is a cncept for a shirt I wanted to do. Its about Alligators who are also Gladiators. I think its been done, if it has, this is just my take on it then.
    alligatorgladiators.jpg

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also! I feel stuck as an artist in that I'll never get better than I am now. Do you all ever get that feeling?

All the damned time. I'll get in to a rut where I just draw the same thing over and over and don't really push myself to learn something new. When that happens I just force myself to do something different, maybe draw something that I think is a bit beyond my skill level. I've learnt a lot from doing this.

The self-portrait seems to be generally in proportion, but it seems you're constructing it from what you already know. Don't draw what you think you see; all the information you need is already right in front of you. I'm not sure if I'm making sense, so if you want this explained further look for 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain'. I'd recommend it, it helped me get started.

Good luck dude!

Flay on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i always feel like i'm never making any progress
    then i go back and look at all my old stuff and realize i'm wrong.

a simple analogy is you buy a puppy
    you spend every day with it
    you know that it's growing, but you have watched him grow, so it doesn't surprise you.
    a friend who comes over a couple times a month keeps going "aw man, your dog is HUGE now" and you're sort of like "what?" like... you knew he was growing, but it doesn't shock you to see how much he's grown because you've watched the slow process.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Flay - yes you make sense.
    Beavotron -great analogy is great.
    And here to for are some feet.
    feet6-16-09.jpg

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    beavotron wrote: »
    i always feel like i'm never making any progress
    then i go back and look at all my old stuff and realize i'm wrong.

a simple analogy is you buy a puppy
    you spend every day with it
    you know that it's growing, but you have watched him grow, so it doesn't surprise you.
    a friend who comes over a couple times a month keeps going "aw man, your dog is HUGE now" and you're sort of like "what?" like... you knew he was growing, but it doesn't shock you to see how much he's grown because you've watched the slow process.

Beavo: I actually had that happen. Rally good analogy.
    Arden: Feet are pretty sketchy. Looks like you have the general idea in a few places with shading, but you need to show the joints of the toes a little more. they look like Cheeto puffs. Try drawing one detailed foot and see how that goes or look a the bones in the foot. It would help lots.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Concept: Hair picture frames.
    hairyframes.jpg
    Over done?

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And yet more. First I need to have someone tell me this is horrible because I know it is. Then I need someone to paint over it and make it look decent. Yes it is Naruto fan art. I'll go back to my hole now.
    Baren.jpg

Arden Canelo on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's horrible. :)

No use trying to fix it, though. Draw another one, and use some reference for the pose. Keep practicing, you're getting better and better with each drawing (as long as you're not making the same mistakes over and over)

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    PennyfreqsPennyfreqs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Less Naruto fan art and Jesus frames, more feet and other real stuff. Go go go.

Pennyfreqs on
    You don't have to be wrong for me to be right.
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pennyfreqs wrote: »
    Less Naruto fan art and Jesus frames, more feet and other real stuff. Go go go.

Yes to good advise!

I know you're groaning but hand and feet studies are fun if you can see progress.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Understandable guys. Its exciting for me tobe working on my art this much. Before I would only draw from life like once a week.
    More stylised unrealistic tilted to the left drawings of people.
    churchdrawings.jpg

Arden Canelo on