As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join a living world, even though you cease to be. [V:TM Bloodlines]

• FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    i biked for like ten miles today

feels good man

except for the bruises on my ass

too much biking and not enough VtM:B today

need to spend less time getting my ass chafed and more time jumping on dudes and sucking them dry

God, if you just remove two sentences from this post...

Fedora on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fedora wrote: »

feels good man

need to spend less time getting my ass chafed and more time jumping on dudes and sucking them dry

Hahahahahah

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    but I'm not going to have any fun!

Gotta stick to your principles.

Poorochondriac on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Fedora wrote: »

feels good man

Hahahahahah

:)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    I thought the companion mod sounded neat but I'm pretty sure it was made by a dirty old man

Tube on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok, so it sounds like a lot of Malk dialogue is in relation to the plot by way of foreshadowing.

Is this really such an enormous hindrance? Can't I get to a point in the plot and be like "oh, fuck, that's what that dialogue choice was about," or does it not work that way?

And if I don't play Malk it seems like I'll go Tremere - how does the mana system work in this game?

Charles Kinbote on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're going Tremere be nice to Strauss to get your sweet apartment.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok, so it sounds like a lot of Malk dialogue is in relation to the plot by way of foreshadowing.

Is this really such an enormous hindrance? Can't I get to a point in the plot and be like "oh, fuck, that's what that dialogue choice was about," or does it not work that way?

And if I don't play Malk it seems like I'll go Tremere - how does the mana system work in this game?

i don't think it's a hindrance, actually i think it's kind of cool. if you play a malk your first time you won't know what's being revealed, but if you do it again, or as a second playthrough, it'll be pretty funny what you find out so early

also: all disciplines use a certain amount of blood points

you fill up blood by feeding

it works pretty good

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can also feed in combat, which I don't think the tutorial goes over (does it?). It took me a while before I realized that hobos and rats weren't the only way to go.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    edited June 2009
    yeah, feeding is a nice ghetto stealth kill too when you can't get directly behind someone

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eddy wrote: »
    You can also feed in combat, which I don't think the tutorial goes over (does it?). It took me a while before I realized that hobos and rats weren't the only way to go.

It feels pretty fucking rad to jump on the guy who had previously been kicking your ass and use his demise as fuel for your victory

At least, up until the goddamn snuff house/sewer

Poorochondriac on
    edited June 2009
    oh god

doorbell and I are patching this

do we want basic or plus

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2009
    basic

Tube on
    edited June 2009
    in fact you want "not the fucking fan patch"

Tube on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i installed the fan patch

8-)

Kovak on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, the bugs can get a little long in the tooth

fallout no one acknowledged this and it's a goddamn tragedy

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2009
    oh god too late I did plus

oh no is our game ruined forever

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2009
    not ruined

just a bunch of dumb shit changed for no reason

there is some cool stuff in there though

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2009
    well, luckily, neither of us have played this before, so we're hardly going to be outraged at the changes

Charles Kinbote on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

It isn't really a hindrance. It's more that you either won't understand what your own character is saying ORRRR your own character's responses will spoil plot surprises.

There is no mana system. Every discipline uses blood, which isn't difficult to come by.

Just start playing. At this point, any further discussion can only diminish the wonder you will feel.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited June 2009
    I started playing as a Tremere. I'm pretty sure I'm still in the Tutorial, but the girlfriend went off to watch a tv show so I took a break

I can tell that I'm going to really enjoy this, though. Back in '04, these kinds of poorly done animations and flawed textures really bugged me because of how close they were to being good, but the second the first cutscene loaded I realized I really was in the mood for a game from that era.

Charles Kinbote on
    edited June 2009
    The only thing that bugs me about the game's graphics is the way cloth and hair tends to wave about insanely.

Cilla Black on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bloodlines is the only non-Valve game to actually use the Source engine properly to render realistic speech/emotion on their NPCs, IMO.

DarkPrimus on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Realistic when it isn't buggy, spastic, and outright broken. It's great except for when it's terrible.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Bloodlines is the only non-Valve game to actually use the Source engine properly to render realistic speech/emotion on their NPCs, IMO.

It was also the first Source game released, I think?

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    J3p wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

It was also the first Source game released, I think?

yep

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited June 2009
    Yeah the facial animations in the game are fantastic. The only game I can think of to do better is TF2, and only in the Meet The videos, which are made using Source but are probably very polished up/edited.

Cilla Black on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It would've been the first source game to be released if not for valve.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It was released on the exact same day as Half-life 2.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah the facial animations in the game are fantastic. The only game I can think of to do better is TF2, and only in the Meet The videos, which are made using Source but are probably very polished up/edited.

The Heavy has some pretty great expressions in some of the screenshots I've seen.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    I like the way they rendered boobs.

And man, did they ever.

J. Grant on
    edited June 2009
    cough console command money x cough

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited June 2009
    can you make your dudes look different or are there set looks for each race

Kovak on
    edited June 2009
    Kovak wrote: »
    can you make your dudes look different or are there set looks for each race

It's set.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
    edited June 2009
    set looks for male, set looks for female

you get a different outfit as armor when you get to a new hub, but that's about it.

Cilla Black on
    edited June 2009
    oh ok

Kovak on
    edited June 2009
    the malk female clothes are so ridiculous

so ridiculous

Cilla Black on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If this game didn't have the combat-only plot-centric missions, it'd probably be my favorite game of all time.

As is, it's like 90% awesome, 10% "Augh, what the fuck, fuck this shit"

Actually, I can also apply this exact same criticism to Troika's other big game, Arcanum.

"Here's an introduction to the world, where you're thrust into the middle of a situation you barely understand. Mystery! Danger! It's awesome! Now, here's a city where you see all the different factions and forces, witnessing how they interact with each other and how their ideologies conflict. And it's awesome! Then we show you each and every faction and element in depth, individually, and it's not nearly as interesting as when everything was mingled together and you had genuine choice. And now here's a section where all you can possibly do is fight your way out, even though we tricked you into thinking you could talk and sneak your way through anything. And now here's a game-crippling bug that will also fuck your saves."

Don't get me wrong, I fucking love both games. But it's frustrating how much squandered potential they both had.

Did you ever read the commentary by the guy who does fan patches for Arcanum?

He basically said how depressing it is to make the patches since there are entire sections of the game that were unfinished and still in the code.

But yeah, Troika's games in general leave me with that feeling. Temple of Elemental Evil? Probably the best implementation of D&D combat I've ever seen, but it is buggy as shit.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    From what I hear they were a pretty staggeringly unprofessional outfit.

Tube on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pharezon wrote: »

It was released on the exact same day as Half-life 2.
    It was "ready" (and I use that term a bit loosely) for a better part of a year before HL2 was released. The only reason it wasn't was because HL2 was supposed to be the flagship game.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682