As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chrono Trigger] The black wind howls...

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah. It sucks when people protect their rightful copyrights.

Oh wait.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

Oh wait.

I can see how they might frown on the use of their copyright to generate revenue, but this group may not have done that. A lot of companies allow material to be used in non-profit remakes or games. See the many Mario hacks that go untouched. Or even the Mother 3 English Fan Translation.

I never heard about this project. It sounded neat. Too bad Square-Enix killed another one.

Also... try harder to be a douchebag. You aren't doing it right.

Shens on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh wait.

Ehh I think they're making to big a deal out of this. It was just a tiny fan project that only humongous fans would even play. You know what these fans did when CTDS came out? They all bought it!

SQUEENIX is just being a little bitch here.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It sucks when things we want to play are shut down, but I'm at a point in my life where I can understand. If companies don't protect their copyrights, they eventually lose them because they just clearly don't give enough of a shit.

TheOtherHorseman on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Uh, no. You aren't required to actively pursue copyright infringers to preserve your copyright--Hell, you don't even have to register material to get the copyright to it. You're thinking of trademarks, which you do need to actively protect lest you lose them. Granted, your point still stands, but I want to be sure we use proper terminology. :P

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Conan-sanConan-san Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Oh wait.
    I'm not arguing that they don't have the right to protect thier copyright. I'm arguing that the mannor in which they did it (concerning the timing given how close to completion it was) was rude at best and downright malicious at worst.

Also, I'd be more willing to give SE a break if a certain game had it's PAL release when it was supposed to.

Conan-san on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I finally (FINALLY) finished the game. Man that final Lavos form is a dick.
    So I kill the healer guy, and the main guy, then the resurrect guy is a total dick and resurrects them BOTH, and takes ages to kill. Was still pretty easy though. Also first time I played through the black omen, there's some seriously awesome charmeable stuff there (Golden Stud? Holy shit?!)

So about that new stuff added to the game, what should I start with?

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ampix wrote: »
    So I kill the healer guy, and the main guy, then the resurrect guy is a total dick and resurrects them BOTH, and takes ages to kill. Was still pretty easy though. Also first time I played through the black omen, there's some seriously awesome charmeable stuff there (Golden Stud? Holy shit?!)

Funny story:
    The 'resurrect guy' actually is the main guy

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The bonus stuff kind of sucks. Lost Sanctum is all you can do until you go through it a second time. Be warned, it is a really long fetch quest that is not very fun. You will get tons of cash doing it though.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Ampix wrote: »

Funny story:
    The 'resurrect guy' actually is the main guy
    That pissed me off so bad the first time I fought him.

see317 on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Old news but still news nonetheless:
    Hoping for a new Chrono Trigger game? Better start buying your grandmother and her dog a copy, too.

Speaking to RPGsite.com, Square Enix Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto says the franchise hasn't sold well enough to warrant development of a new title in the series. When told fans were clamoring for a new game, Hashimoto shrugged it off.

"That's not what the sales tell me!" Hashimoto said. "If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

While sales of the Nintendo DS version of the Super Nintendo classic were somewhat sluggish, with worldwide sales reaching close to 800K last year, it doesn't help the game originally hit retail shelves at a ridiculous $39.99 price point in the North America.

If Square-Enix wants more sales, how about they stop overcharging fans for 14-year old ports?

http://ds.ign.com/articles/992/992365p1.html

I believe it's referred to sometimes as the "Capcom Test."

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah I don't really get the dude complaining about sales. I mean, I imagine most people that REALLY wanted to play it, have done so either via the SNES or playstation version. I had absolutely no desire to replay the game a third time, especially after learning that the 'added content' was more of a chore than it was fun.
    On the flip side if they released a new one I'd jump all over that (chrono cross is to date the ONLY game I've ever pre-ordered).
    Expecting a 15 year old game to sell like a brand new one is just absurd (especially with the square tax).

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is 800k even that bad?

Were they trying to make 2 $Texases or what

Elendil on
  • Options
    LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Is 800k even that bad?

Were they trying to make 2 $Texases or what

They were planning to conquer the world with the money made from CT. It didn't happen, so now they're giving us a giant middle finger for foiling their plans for world domination.

I don't get it, honestly. They don't have to make a next gen version. They could make a sequel on the DS or even the Wii, probably for way cheaper, and I bet it would still be fuckawesome. Because it'd be a sequel to motherfucking Chrono Trigger.

Lynx on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hell, they could release a sequel using the CTDS engine with a significant amount of reused assets and fans would still eat it up.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dunno, after what happened with the Mana series them not making a new Chrono sequel is almost comforting to me.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I dunno, after what happened with the Mana series them not making a new Chrono sequel is almost comforting to me.
    Yeah, I'm oddly angry about this, despite my not wanting Square to touch the series with a ten-foot pole after porting CT

Elendil on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Old news but still news nonetheless:
    Hoping for a new Chrono Trigger game? Better start buying your grandmother and her dog a copy, too.

Speaking to RPGsite.com, Square Enix Senior Vice President Shinji Hashimoto says the franchise hasn't sold well enough to warrant development of a new title in the series. When told fans were clamoring for a new game, Hashimoto shrugged it off.

"That's not what the sales tell me!" Hashimoto said. "If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

While sales of the Nintendo DS version of the Super Nintendo classic were somewhat sluggish, with worldwide sales reaching close to 800K last year, it doesn't help the game originally hit retail shelves at a ridiculous $39.99 price point in the North America.

If Square-Enix wants more sales, how about they stop overcharging fans for 14-year old ports?

http://ds.ign.com/articles/992/992365p1.html

I believe it's referred to sometimes as the "Capcom Test."
    Conan-san wrote: »
    Huh...guess Square-Enix is up to something, they just C&D'd a fan hack that was seveal years in the making.

That or they're assholes of the most arse and holy and they wank over such actions rather than, you know, releaseing RE: Chain of Memories in PAL already.

"Hur hur, people obviously don't care about Chrono Trigger, so why should we do anything with it?!"

"Sir, there's another fan project. Looks like some years went into this one."

"What? Damn. Well, shut it down like the others."

Really, I've made my Squeenix hate clear elsewhere on the boards, and I hate being 'that guy' that looks for every opportunity to bring it up, but man, if they don't make it easy.

And as I've said before, I'd be perfectly happy without another 'installment' in the Chrono Saga. Trigger was fantastic, one of my favorite games, hated Cross, and after the port with the garbage extras and flimsy new 'connections' to Cross
    HURR HURR I AM DALTON I ARE ANGRY FUCK YOU I'M GOIN TO PORRE

, I can only imagine with disgust what another one would turn into.

So Squeenix doesn't want to make another one? Okay. I'll live. I think we all will.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cross was amazing, and the added connections put in the DS port only helped me understand the plot of Cross better.

Thank you, Squeenix, for this wonderful port.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cross was amazing, and the added connections put in the DS port only helped me understand the plot of Cross better.

Thank you, Squeenix, for this wonderful port.

This. Not to mention Cross had one of the best god damn soundtracks ever. Which is enough to elevate it to "Awesome" status.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cross has one of the best soundtracks in gaming. Therefore it is just a cut above practically everything.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    This may be old news for some of you, but for those who haven't seen this, you guys need to check this out.

You Must listen to all of them, and in order.

First -
    The ever infamous Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up, also known as the rick roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

Now Listen to the second song, 16-bit-ified with mario Paint.

Once you have listen to those two, Listen to this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWf_T0jdgQ

That's right. You've been getting rickrolled by chrono trigger all these years.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    This may be old news for some of you, but for those who haven't seen this, you guys need to check this out.

You Must listen to all of them, and in order.

First -
    The ever infamous Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up, also known as the rick roll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI

Now Listen to the second song, 16-bit-ified with mario Paint.

Once you have listen to those two, Listen to this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWf_T0jdgQ

That's right. You've been getting rickrolled by chrono trigger all these years.

I wasn't aware of that, but I did guess what would be in the last spoiler while listening to the Mario Paint version. They're that similar.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So I finished the new ending today (the boss was rather easy, but got annoying as only one of my guys was able to attack effectively) and... I don't really get it? What the hell just happened? I got a sweet new sword for Chrono though, so I'm happy :)

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Cross has one of the best soundtracks in gaming. Therefore it is just a cut above practically everything.
    To be honest, you're prob the only person who thinks that way. At least whom I've met.

Cross was awful, Trigger was and IS amazing. The music in Trigger is amazing too.

Favorite songs are the air Gaia people and Robo's theme.

I just started a new game of this up on ZSNES the other day. I'm now in prehistoric times.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    To be honest, you're prob the only person who thinks that way.

Cross was awful, Trigger was and IS amazing. The music in Trigger is amazing too.

I just started a new game of this up on ZSNES the other day. I'm now in prehistoric times.

Cross was awesome. It was no chrono trigger, but that doesn't stop the fact it was still a damn good game. And you're full of shit if you don't think it had an amazing sound track. Even most people who hated it will admit that much.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Cross was awesome. It was no chrono trigger, but that doesn't stop the fact it was still a damn good game. And you're full of shit if you don't think it had an amazing sound track. Even most people who hated it will admit that much.
    To be fair, I played cross for about an hr and put it down, being extremely disappointed in almost everything.

So my opinion isn't really worth much, but everyone I talked to just told me it was disappointing.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    To be honest, you're prob the only person who thinks that way.

I think you may have misread that Zerokku, either that or I did. I don't think Rakuen was saying it didn't have a great soundtrack. Instead I think he was saying that the good soundtrack doesn't excuse the several serious flaws in the gameplay/plot, let alone elevating it above many of it's contemporaries.

I enjoyed Cross, it was a fun game. But I don't think I'd buy it again if they put out a remake.
    On the other hand, I've bought Chrono Trigger three times at full price and not regretted any of them. Well, maybe the PSX version, but only a little.

see317 on
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing about Chrono Cross was that was very clearly a case of Super Mario Brothers 2-ism. It was a completely different game shoehorned into the Chrono timeline (Radical Dreamers, wasn't it?).

That and I didn't like Serge as a hero. He just has this stupid grin and lackadaisical stance that make him look unthreatening. I mean, you go into battle in Chrono Trigger, Crono pulls his katana and you can tell just by looking at him that it's on. Serge's just like "hm yes well time for a battle I suppose".

The battle engine is unique and the music is great, and that's what kept me around the whole time, but god the plot was awful.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chrono Cross is more of a greatly expanded version of Radical Dreamers. It takes a few plot & location concepts (the Frozen Flame, Kid, Lynx, and Schala and Viper Manor), changes them a bit, and then adds a bunch of other stuff. It's not really the same as what happened to Super Mario Bros. 2--Radical Dreamers was still a sequel/offshoot of Chrono Trigger.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kurokazekurokaze Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As a sequel to Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross is absolutely horrific.

As a game standing on its own, Chrono Cross is absolutely amazing.

Almost all of the people I've seen who hate on Cross seem to hate it simply because it's not Trigger, nor is it really anything like it, and it even takes a bit of a crap on the canon once you get to the parts that actually reference Trigger.

I think expectations play a big role here - these people go in expecting a sequel to Chrono Trigger and they get something that's actively bad at being that. Negative values of fan-service, so to speak.

Before playing it, I had heard a rumor - which I now believe was completely unfounded, though there might have been a kernel of truth buried deep inside - that Cross was originally intended to have nothing to do with Chrono Trigger, and was actually a (spiritual only maybe?) sequel to Xenogears, and that during development Square decided that they would rather have a second Chrono game than a second Xeno game and made the developers make the necessary changes.

So my expectation going in was that the game would only very superficially have anything to do with Trigger and that it would share many similarities with Xenogears, most likely in gameplay related elements. This turned out to be true on both counts. Now Cross and Trigger are both among my most loved RPGs. I still have to keep a mental separation between the two, though, to keep Trigger unsullied of the harm Cross does upon its characters.

It does remain rather puzzling why there's so much fan desire for a third game, though. It's not really a sequel-friendly story, and the differences between the first two games are so great that it's hard to point out elements that really 'make the series'. At least, good ones. Silent protagonists and LOL QUIRKY character casts can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. Do we just want a game with good production values, some kind of alternate universe/time travel, and a Mitsuda soundtrack?

kurokaze on
    atehim.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dislike Cross because the plot is the sort of pointlessly complex drivel that tries to masquerade as 'deep' and 'insightful.' With very, very, very few exceptions, every single one of the characters is entirely personality free and void of all development, with no unique voice to them. The battles were overly simplistic and, due to the removal of experience, entirely pointless.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cross is more fun to play than Trigger. It's got a better difficulty curve, better music, better battle system. It's plot is needlessly convoluted, but that's pretty much exactly what is going to happen when you add parallel dimensions and time travel with giant super computers and space parasites stuck beyond the flow of time.

Trigger is timeless, but I'd rather play Cross again.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »

Almost all of the people I've seen who hate on Cross seem to hate it simply because it's not Trigger, nor is it really anything like it, and it even takes a bit of a crap on the canon once you get to the parts that actually reference Trigger.

I think expectations play a big role here - these people go in expecting a sequel to Chrono Trigger and they get something that's actively bad at being that. Negative values of fan-service, so to speak.

Before playing it, I had heard a rumor - which I now believe was completely unfounded, though there might have been a kernel of truth buried deep inside - that Cross was originally intended to have nothing to do with Chrono Trigger, and was actually a (spiritual only maybe?) sequel to Xenogears, and that during development Square decided that they would rather have a second Chrono game than a second Xeno game and made the developers make the necessary changes.

So my expectation going in was that the game would only very superficially have anything to do with Trigger and that it would share many similarities with Xenogears, most likely in gameplay related elements. This turned out to be true on both counts. Now Cross and Trigger are both among my most loved RPGs. I still have to keep a mental separation between the two, though, to keep Trigger unsullied of the harm Cross does upon its characters.

It does remain rather puzzling why there's so much fan desire for a third game, though. It's not really a sequel-friendly story, and the differences between the first two games are so great that it's hard to point out elements that really 'make the series'. At least, good ones. Silent protagonists and LOL QUIRKY character casts can die in a fire as far as I'm concerned. Do we just want a game with good production values, some kind of alternate universe/time travel, and a Mitsuda soundtrack?
    I think when it comes down to it, people just want a 2nd version of Chrono Trigger, as in a sequal to that title.

Crono, robo, frog, the whole crew back but maybe with a couple new characters?

Maybe through all the messing around in time, little by little, the minimal events that they changed had a huge outcome on the future, much like Back to the Future.

Lavos had a brother. And he's PISSED.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing that bugged me the most about Cross was the art direction. A lot of it didn't look/feel like Trigger, and I really didn't like the character portraits.

It's Pokemon-esque "Gotta catch'em all!" treatment of the characters comes in at a close, close second.

Sneff, and the goddamn boat part are a close third.

That said, I still found it to be mostly enjoyable. It's really more of a side story than anything else, and in that regard, I think it functions rather well. Trigger still stands on its own, and Cross merely adds a bit of flavor-filled convolution to the mix.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    kurokaze wrote: »

I think when it comes down to it, people just want a 2nd version of Chrono Trigger, as in a sequal to that title.

Crono, robo, frog, the whole crew back but maybe with a couple new characters?

Maybe through all the messing around in time, little by little, the minimal events that they changed had a huge outcome on the future, much like Back to the Future.

Lavos had a brother. And he's PISSED.

I think a game where you go planet to planet killing lavos spawn that spread throughout the galaxy would be cool.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That could be an interesting direction to go. All I know is that I want more Magus (and an updated version of his theme). His omission from Cross was a travesty.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    To be honest, you're prob the only person who thinks that way. At least whom I've met.

Yes because nobody likes or prefers Cross in the universe. Don't generalize. :/

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    While this debate is likely to be as productive as every other CT vs. CC debate ever (read: not productive at all) at least try to include actual criticisms and not "hurr no one likes [insert game here]" please.

That said, going back to SE's stance on more Chrono games I sort of understand it and I sort of don't. Did CT:DS sell well or not? I pre-ordered it but I never owned CT as a kid so this was really my first chance to buy a non-shoddy port. On the flip side, I can also understand why people don't want to pay $40 for it, though I wonder at price point would still buy a DS game over waiting for a VC version.

ASimPerson on