As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Partitioning Help with Mac OS X

GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
Now I was going to set up Boot Camp on my Macbook Pro (2007), however, I've run into a few hitches.

When at the partitioning stage of Boot Camp, it would give me an error saying it couldn't move some files. I look around on support forums and whatever and it tells me I need to defrag my HDD. Except, OS X doesn't ship with one and, as far as I'm aware, there isn't a free option out there.

The other option, then, was to wipe and reinstall. Only problem is that my Superdrive doesn't take to my OS X install disc and pretty much spits it out right away. So, is there another solution to this, or am I just screwed? I really don't want to have to take my Pro in for repairs, as it's out of warranty and I'm rather short of cash right now.

Glorfindel on

• Options
    lilBlilB Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Glorfindel wrote: »
    Now I was going to set up Boot Camp on my Macbook Pro (2007), however, I've run into a few hitches.

When at the partitioning stage of Boot Camp, it would give me an error saying it couldn't move some files. I look around on support forums and whatever and it tells me I need to defrag my HDD. Except, OS X doesn't ship with one and, as far as I'm aware, there isn't a free option out there.

The other option, then, was to wipe and reinstall. Only problem is that my Superdrive doesn't take to my OS X install disc and pretty much spits it out right away. So, is there another solution to this, or am I just screwed? I really don't want to have to take my Pro in for repairs, as it's out of warranty and I'm rather short of cash right now.

A permission problem maybe? Do you have multiple user accounts? Any of them use encryption?

lilB on
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, but I figured it out. Had to erase all the spare space on drive and then it could partition. Typing this post from Windows now actually. That will teach me to wait over a year to Bootcamp.

Glorfindel on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For posterity, 99% of the time, all you need to do is restart your machine and run bootcamp setup before anything else. The sooner after reboot, the fewer files, including swap files, are likely to land on space you need to shuffle to repartition.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg