As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Solicitations for September 2009

2»

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thor relaunched in July '07, and has only done 14 issues so far in that time. Very lame.

TexiKen on
  • Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Was JMS this bad when he was writing Spider-Man?

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, he was monthly. The only delay was due to the 9/11 issue because everything stopped in NYC because of that, and they fixed the scheduling very fast after that. That and One More Day but that was Quesada's fault.

You also have Coipel doing the art, who is a 6 issue a year artist. Marvel hasn't really thought it through.

TexiKen on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I can't remember where I read or heard this but I thought Marvel knew that Thor wasn't going to be a monthly book. Something like 10 issues a year, but even going by that it's still late.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I get the impression that JMS is on the outs with Marvel right now and is getting good and cozy with DC. His name alone is going to ensure that the Red Circle books are going to get good circulation.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    SPIDER-MAN: THE CLONE SAGA #1 (of 6)
    Written by HOWARD MACKIE & TOM DEFALCO
    Penciled by TODD NAUCK
    Cover by PASQUAL FERRY
    You’ve been asking for it...and now it’s here: THE CLONE SAGA!!! Marvel’s most controversial event of all time returns with a vengeance, presenting the Clone Saga as it was originally intended to be told! From the minds behind the crossover that changed comics forever and the artist that introduced Spider-Man to President Obama, it’s six issues of twists and turns that will shock fans old and new alike! Be here as Peter Parker’s worst nightmare begins again...now with an ending you have to see to believe!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Man what

I am morbidly curious, but not curious enough to actually buy it.

I'll get it because I really wonder if the original plan for the Clone Saga would have worked instead of the multiyear clusterfuck we got.

also I'm a whore for Ben Reilly.

Furu on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not saying JMS doesn't have a right to be angry about OMD but I hope he isn't sabotaging Thor's schedule on purpose. I wish Matt Fraction would take over Thor but I think he doesn't want to for some reason.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    MARVEL DIVAS #3 (of 4)
    Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
    Art by TONCI ZONJIC
    Cover by PATRICK ZIRCHER
    When Angelica ”Firestar” Jones' battle takes a turn for the worse, Patsy “Hellcat” Walker makes a deal with the Son of Satan to save her friend's life. Fortunately (or unfortunately), Monica “Photon” Rambeau’s gotten ahold of one of the world's most powerful occult objects – but does she have the will to control it? Meanwhile, Felicia “The Black Cat” Hardy slips back into her black bodysuit (and her old life of crime?)...putting her into direct conflict with her on-again-off-again flame, the Puma!
    It's the brawl for it all, folks, and someone's getting their face messed up!
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory ...$3.99

Firestar has breast cancer? I hope they don't go that way, it seems a bit contrived. "Women talking about women things battling a primarily woman's cancer."

It's probably some strange hold over from New Warriors when she was worried that her powers would give her cancer. Of course, Hank Pym fixed that back in Avengers, but since these days everything Pym touches fucks up somehow this is a result.

Interpreter on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Of course, Hank Pym fixed that back in Avengers, but since these days everything Pym touches fucks up somehow this is a result.
    So what you're saying is that Pym got to second base.

Robos A Go Go on
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Of course, Hank Pym fixed that back in Avengers, but since these days everything Pym touches fucks up somehow this is a result.

Yeah, he hit it.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Htown wrote: »

Yeah, he hit it.

Hitting women is kind of his thing though.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    I'm not saying JMS doesn't have a right to be angry about OMD but I hope he isn't sabotaging Thor's schedule on purpose. I wish Matt Fraction would take over Thor but I think he doesn't want to for some reason.

Because he had his fill. He wasn't even 100% onboard when he started. He did his thing, and that's that.

Crimsondude on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If anyone were to take over Thor, I think I'd like it to be Oeming. He doesn't excel at character building or dialogue like JMS, but he knows how to give a story that mythical scope, and he deserves a shot at a big book.

Munch on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i too would really like to see oeming on thor.

Angry on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I presume you guys know Oeming has already written some Thor, for example the wonderful story Blood Oath?

Wildcat on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    yes.

blood oath is a favorite of mine.

Angry on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really enjoy what little of the JMS Thor I've read, but it's definitely a trade book for me. The art is just brilliant, too, so I can almost understand the delay. Still, one has to wonder how much further they can let it go when they're about to do a big Thor push in their new cartoon properties and with the movie on the way (although still not for quite some time).

HadjiQuest on
  • animaleanimale Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cover for Amazing Spidey 606. Spoilers ahead?
    ASM606_cov.jpg

animale on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I presume you guys know Oeming has already written some Thor, for example the wonderful story Blood Oath?

He also did Thor: Disassembled, which was the only good Avengers Disassembled tie-in. And, like, it was good-good, not best-of-the-worst-good.

Still, I rather like JMS on Thor now. I'm fine with either Fraction or Oeming writing Thor eventually, but I want JMS to finish his story first. Assuming he has an arc with an ending in mind.

Delduwath on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just wish JMS would put Thor higher on it's priority list. I mean, I know Coipel is no speed demon, but he's said before that he focuses on his Hollywood work first.

Doesn't change the fact that the book is still phenomenal, though.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've never heard of Kathryn Immomen before. Is she a good fit for Runaways?

Go read her Patsy Walker: Hellcat mini-series, it's good for your soul.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    I just wish JMS would put Thor higher on it's priority list. I mean, I know Coipel is no speed demon, but he's said before that he focuses on his Hollywood work first.

Doesn't change the fact that the book is still phenomenal, though.
    By that logic he should be punching out an issue a week once the movie gets close to release.

Wildcat on
  • Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    animale wrote: »
    ASM606_cov.jpg

Peter Parker - normal guy. If I had a dollar for every time I was in that situation...

Blingston Hughes on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    animale wrote: »
    ASM606_cov.jpg

Peter Parker - normal guy. If I had a dollar for every time I was in that situation...

I totally thought the girl in the background was making an obscene gesture with her mouth and "V" shaped fingers.

Also, the girl in the foreground looks like her waist was origionally only 2 inches in diameter. Then they gave her a slight tummy bump.

In short: that pic is so boring my perverted mind had to make up interesting points for it!

Caveman Paws on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You'd think that by this time that scene has played out so many times with Spiderman and Black Cat that they'd be utterly bored with each other by now and they're just going through the motions.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    I don't know why I like Black Cat in spite of the fact that she's pretty much just a two tone Catwoman. Maybe it's just the fact that she represents an alternative path for Spider-Man that allows him to put his overwhelming survivor's guilt on the back burner and just enjoy his career as a hero. He never actually takes that path, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You'd think that by this time that scene has played out so many times with Spiderman and Black Cat that they'd be utterly bored with each other by now and they're just going through the motions.

Maybe they just don't remember. I mean, they remember, the stories still happened, but how much do they remember? Nobody knows! Does Black Cat remember everything that happened after she found out Pete's identity? If so, doesn't it all strike her as kinda weird that his identity just disappeared? Maybe that's the hook!

And this is why I hated OMD. Couldn't Peter and MJ just have gotten divorced like normal people? And I'm sure the whole exposed identity thing could have had an equally obvious fix (if it even needed fixing).

What was that Kevin Smith arc with Spider-Man and Black Cat a few years back? The evil that men do? I liked that characterization of Black Cat, at least at first before it became some long, drawn-out sermon about rape and incest.

BostonGangler on
  • Blingston HughesBlingston Hughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Maybe they just don't remember. I mean, they remember, the stories still happened, but how much do they remember? Nobody knows! Does Black Cat remember everything that happened after she found out Pete's identity? If so, doesn't it all strike her as kinda weird that his identity just disappeared? Maybe that's the hook!

"Hey Spidey, for the life of me, I can't remember who you are under that mask, even though major events in recent history have revolved around our relationship out of costume. Perhaps a bit of second base will help jog my memory."

It's the opposite of the kiss from the end of Superman 2.

Blingston Hughes on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey, moaning about Spidey and OMD, that's fun and refreshing.
    Oh wait, it's actually extremely tired and boring...

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Virral wrote: »
    Hey, moaning about Spidey and OMD, that's fun and refreshing.
    Oh wait, it's actually extremely tired and boring...

The talk isn't going to go away until all of OMD's lingering plots threads are dealt with. 'til then, the digs are as relevant as they are tired and stupid.

Robos A Go Go on