As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Thread!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    I've seen a scan of it, and all it made me do is wonder if it's possible for Robert Kirkman to write a death scene that doesn't feature half a panel's work of blood. Although I guess he topped himself by having the sound effect be essentially written in blood too, that was classy.

DJ Eebs on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robert Kirkman only bothers to write these days to keep his swimming pool filled with blood.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm....if this sticks I'm done with this book, really lame ass. Generally I love this book and it is by far my favorite. I'll see what next issue has in store, but that's all he's getting.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Personally i'll be dropping it if just sticks as gore gore gore gore gore gore gore gore gore and minimal plot development.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Personally i'll be dropping it if just sticks as gore gore gore gore gore gore gore gore gore and minimal plot development.

Well that isn't helping it any either, I can deal with it occasionally, but issue after issue of it is too much

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The whole thing just feels really poorly paced. The book really could have used some downtime inbetween Angstrom Levy's invasion and Conquest. I realize that kind of defeats the point, but we've had four issues of just nonstop punching and another one coming. I really like the idea behind Conquest, the little bits of Viltrimite culture are pretty interesting, but it is kind of lame for him to show up with no reason. The Viltrimite empire is supposed to be stretched incredibly thin, given that there are less than fifty remaining. With Allen having killed the two that were sent to execute Nolan, they should be in pretty bad shape. So how can they afford to send Conquest, who appears to be one of their primary assets, just to kick in Mark's face and take Earth? Anyway, I'm betting the whole thing will end with Allen and Nolan showing up to save the day. It'd be a lot more interesting to see Mark somehow beat Conquest and then go a little crazy.

I'm also a little confused by the Viltrimite council. Granted, we've never seen them, but I'm wondering why Conquest isn't on it. Maybe only Viltrimites too wounded to fight again are put on there?

Anyway, here's the thing from issue 63. Spoilers ahead.

Invincible063Page016.jpg

Invincible063Page017.jpg

Invincible063Page018.jpg

Invincible063Page019.jpg]

Invincible063Page020_021.jpg

Invincible063Page022.jpg

I never got why, with Atom Eve's powers, she couldn't heal people. They seem to be able to do about anything else, you'd think that resetting bone would be a piece of cake.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ok that's kind of terrible.

deadonthestreet on
    edited June 2009
    I never got why, with Atom Eve's powers, she couldn't heal people. They seem to be able to do about anything else, you'd think that resetting bone would be a piece of cake.

It's explained in the Atom Eve mini-series, basically she can't tamper with people and biological crap like that because of mental blocks placed on her powers to stop her being the most powerful being in the world. She overcame it once in the mini-series after they killed her biological parents and hasn't been able to use it since.

Personally i thought that was how this was going to end, with Mark getting the absolute shit kicked out of him by Conquest and then having Eve turn up and turn his brain into sand or something, sadly Kirkman is still on his Gorn high and we got what was in those spoilers.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    welp

i think i'm done with invincible

Sars_Boy on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    While that was excessively gory, and I'd argue that Kirkman and Ottley could have depicted it more tactfully, it's been well established in the Invincible universe that, when a super-strong person punches you, you're going to explode in a fountain of gore and viscera, no matter how popular or well-liked you are.

Part of me admires Kirkman for not backing away from depicting violence in a sensible, "realistic" way, but part of me's bothered by making the death of a long-standing character so exploitative.

Munch on
  • BostonGanglerBostonGangler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In the fanmail section, Kirkman asked for one more issue before dropping it. I'll give him that, because I would like to see how Conquest ends, but considering that about two-thirds of the supporting cast is dead, and I'm not a big fan of Oliver, the only reason why I'm considering staying on is to see what happens with Nolan and Allen. And if this is the kind of crap we're going to get month after month, I don't really see how it's worth it.

At this point, I consider it a minor victory that conquest didn't actually rip Oliver in half.

BostonGangler on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are tons of creative ways for a person with Eve's powerset to take on a Superman-type.
    Even if she had to die, I'd have appreciated a more spirited assault on her part.

However, maybe she really did just fake her death somehow, in which case everything makes sense.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited June 2009
    Personally I'm surprised they've never used Cecil's favourite toy to kill somebody, i think that'd make a pretty kick arse scene. Have Mark on his last legs grappling with Conquest while Conquest is doing his ranty thing.

Then have Cecil teleport in, put a hand on Conquests shoulder and teleport half of him out. Then we don't need to kill any more of the supporting cast and Kirkman gets to splash around in the pretty red goop.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That all seems perfectly normal for Invincible. I really don't see why you are all very anti.

Invincible has always been about juxtaposing fantasy and reality, cartoonish art with extreme violence. It's part of the appeal.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There are tons of creative ways for a person with Eve's powerset to take on a Superman-type.
    Even if she had to die, I'd have appreciated a more spirited assault on her part.

However, maybe she really did just fake her death somehow, in which case everything makes sense.

I agree
    would be nice to see someone match the brute force with something a little more thoughtful, still going to be nice watching Allen rape Conquest I guess

Venkman90 on
    edited June 2009
    That all seems perfectly normal for Invincible. I really don't see why you are all very anti.

Invincible has always been about juxtaposing fantasy and reality, cartoonish art with extreme violence. It's part of the appeal.

True, but I know that personally, at least, I don't have a problem with the extreme gore as much as I do with the fact that it's been 3 or 4 issues now that have consisted entirely of just turning major characters into pulp. No real plot advancement to speak of, just massacring an entire cast for the purpose of demonstrating how badass this one villain is.

BostonGangler on
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Venkman90 wrote: »

I agree
    would be nice to see someone match the brute force with something a little more thoughtful, still going to be nice watching Allen rape Conquest I guess

Yeah, it is kind of weird considering if she really wanted to kill the guy she could have just turned the oxygen in his lungs to lead or something.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • RadculaRadcula Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys the cool thing in this issue isn't
    Eve's murder,

it's
    "I can see the future... you won't live to see tomorrow."
    The line is awesome, Mark is about to go so apeshit that he's making up superpowers for himself. Tubular!

Radcula on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unfounded predictions regarding future issues of Invincible:
    Eve isn't really dead, but her 'death' is enough to push Mark into beating Conquest. The future cover at the graveyard is a ruse.

It's probably wishful thinking.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited June 2009
    Radcula wrote: »
    Guys the cool thing in this issue isn't
    Eve's murder,

it's
    "I can see the future... you won't live to see tomorrow."
    The line is awesome, Mark is about to go so apeshit that he's making up superpowers for himself. Tubular!

I really hope you're being sarcastic because that is an awful line.

DJ Eebs on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    invincible has pretty much always had a brutality underlining the heroics, im also not getting the sudden repulsion.

i mean, i guess i understand the over-saturation argument but at the same time look at the effect kirkman has elicited out of you. kind of a
    red wedding
    effect from ASoIaF.

PantheraOnca on
    edited June 2009
    I'm not mad because he did this to the character he did it to. I'm just annoyed as hell that he keeps pushing the same buttons over and over again, and a scene that could actually have some kind of emotional impact is ruined as a result. He's got no sense of subtlety at all.

How many big storylines over the course of Invincible has he ended this way? How many has he ended this way in Walking Dead? And he did something similar with Ultimate X-Men and Marvel Team-Up and pretty much everything he's ever done except for Ant Man. He needs to learn that you don't have to have a character be horribly killed or mutilated or whatever for it to have an impact. And he also needs to learn that every death scene doesn't need to be a horrendously graphic bloodbath. It's old, and it's hurting his stories.

DJ Eebs on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    im not actively following walking dead so maybe i just havent been bent over the gore-bus as much? i dunno.

PantheraOnca on
    edited June 2009
    Well it's a zombie comic, so it makes a fair bit of sense there.

DJ Eebs on
  • KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Seriously, let's all stop crying about it until the arc is over. We don't even know if this is going to stick or not. It could just be an enormous red herring.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    How about we don't, because regardless of how this arc turns out the complaints about it are still valid.

Between the current arc in Invincible and reading The Destroyer I'm left with the uncomfortable feeling that i've just paid to watch Kirkman masturbate over pictures of car crashes.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    invincible has pretty much always had a brutality underlining the heroics, im also not getting the sudden repulsion.

i mean, i guess i understand the over-saturation argument but at the same time look at the effect kirkman has elicited out of you. kind of a
    red wedding
    effect from ASoIaF.

I dunno. It's not so much that it's elicited a real effect from me as I'm just a little disappointed and fed up with the quality of the story recently. If anything, it's a testament to how good Invincible usually is. I expect crap like this from Ultimatum, but it's just disappointing here. And even if the deaths of
    Eve and Rex
    end up being retconned back out, that still won't make this a good, interesting, or well-told arc.

BostonGangler on
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I find it interesting that the last twelve issues of The Walking Dead had zero character deaths whatsoever.

My problem isn't Eve's death. I think the brutality was appropriate. What I don't like is how lame the Conquest arc is in general, so far. We'll see if it improves, but I doubt it.

I'm wary in The Walking Dead right now, because I don't think we need another bloodbath arc so soon after the previous one.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
    edited June 2009
    If the priest doesn't turn out to be a rapist serial killer who spends 12 issues running around wearing Glens head in lieu of pants, then i'll eat Kirkmans house.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    All I know is Invincible used to be fun to read, I don't think I'll enjoy reading it if things continue the way they are right now.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I always view Invincible through the lens of Kirkman using his characters to explore classic superhero tropes, in a unique and interesting way. Whether it's the iconic Superboy-esque nature of Invincible himself, the journey of a teenage hero to grow into his own, having to choose between a blonde and a redhead, a hero becoming a traitor, the supervillain kingpin, the universe-wide one issue event, or the costume change, Kirkman has repeatedly used Mark to examine concepts that are ubiquitous in the superhero genre.

And now he's doing his Doomsday/Genocide/Onslaught/Monarch story; a massive threat comes out of nowhere at the worst possible time, and over several issues has a cataclysmic fight with the protagonist and his supporting cast. That's basically the Doomsday storyline in a nutshell, and hews pretty closely to a lot of other stories. To me, having supporting cast members in Invincible get pulped is no different than when Doomsday put Guy Gardner and Blue Beetle into comas, except that Kirkman stuck to the rules of his universe, and didn't have anyone suddenly develop invincibility to survive the attack.

Part of the reason I read Invincible is to see Kirkman's take on the superhero genre, so I can't really bring myself to get upset now, when he explores another superhero trope;
    the dead girlfriend.

Munch on
    edited June 2009
    How about we don't, because regardless of how this arc turns out the complaints about it are still valid.
    Not really.

If you're upset about
    Eve dying
    then you should at least give it 'til the next issue or so to see if that's what actually happened. Kirkman has been hinting that this would happen for a long time which makes me think it's a red herring.

To everyone upset about the violence, I'm sorry, but what comic book series do you think you've been reading?
    Were you not there when Omni-Man slaughterer the Guardians of the Globe and then beat his own son within an inch of his life a few issues later? What about when Bulletproof and Black Samson were nearly killed? What about when Mark and his father took on those three Viltrumites, or when Allen the Alien was left for dead in space? The mass death of the alternate Mauler twins and Angstrom Levys? Mark beating Angstrom's face in? The Reanimen almost killing Mark? Oliver killing the Mauler twins?
    This has always been a gory, violent book.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm pretty sure "this is constantly gory" is one of the big complaints!

Also complaints are always valid as long as they aren't completely goddamn retarded

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    I guess but if you're not enjoying the book then quit buying it. It's not like people have been forced to read the last sixty+ issues of the book.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    "Quit buying it if you don't like it" seems to be like an automated response with you

God forbid people complain about a book

No they should just quietly drop it

Me Too! on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But complaining about a book being violent when it has always been violent and then being all "You've changed man" and "Kirkman must like fucking dead puppies" is stupid. Not just kind of stupid, but REALLY stupid.

So yes, if you don't like it - don't buy it. Or retroactively don't buy it because the book hasn't changed one iota.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited June 2009
    But the fact that it's constantly, excessively violent is the complaint!

Maybe people are starting to get sick of it!

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    Why on Earth would you drive to the comic book store and pay $2.99 or $3.99 every month to read something that you're not enjoying? At that point you're basically paying for the book for the sole purpose of complaining about it. I know that personally, if I'm not enjoying a series, I just stop buying it. I think that sends a much better message to the creators and the company than complaining about it on a message board and continually helping out the title's sales.

I'm not saying that I don't have the occasional complaint about books that I enjoy, but if you have a serious problem with a title and you're not getting any enjoyment from it anymore then quit picking it up.

KyleWPeterson on
    edited June 2009
    I had this whole long post typed up about why JUST DROP IT and THAT COMPLAINT ISN'T VALID BECAUSE HURPDEDURP is dumb

But fuck it

You won't read it

You'll just rationalize more

Me Too! on
    edited June 2009
    Wiggin, if this is the way you're going to argue, you either need to change tactics or stop altogether.

DJ Eebs on