As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Join a living world, even though you cease to be. [V:TM Bloodlines]

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basically by contract Half-Life 2 was the first game with the Source engine to be released.

That they didn't take the extra time to even work on significant patches for the game to be available on release...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The facial expressions in this game are a thing of wonder. There's RPGs released this year that don't come close.

Especially with the Voerman sisters.
    During the scene when she's arguing with herself, I still found it hard to believe they weren't two separate people. They're portrayed that vividly.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From what I hear they were a pretty staggeringly unprofessional outfit.

Oh yeah, they seemed pretty terrible. I mean when a company barely bug tests their product that's a sign that they don't have very much organization.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hey i heard some shit about a special katana from the demon hunter girl, but she didn't give it to me. is that only in the fan patches, or... ?
    Fallout wrote: »
    Yeah, the bugs can get a little long in the tooth

fallout no one acknowledged this and it's a goddamn tragedy

yeah, that sucked.
    the malk female clothes are so ridiculous

so ridiculous

heh, yeah

i just got the fourth and i assume last outfit

odd that it broke the "slutty halloween costume" theme of the previous armors

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    I guess it's only in the fan patches, because that character would never give you her sword so it sounds like exactly the kind of retarded shit those patches put in.

Tube on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I guess it's only in the fan patches, because that character would never give you her sword so it sounds like exactly the kind of retarded shit those patches put in.

I dunno, you do kind of help her complete the most important goal of her entire life.

Also why does she have a robot arm?

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't remember that character so i can be wrong, but in the tabletop games you have these asian vampire-and-other-supernatural-thing hunters that combine "Chi" type martial arts magic and cybernetic enhancements. Probably a nod to that.

From a wiki
    Demon Hunter X depicted the 'mortal' hunters of Asia.

One group is called the Shih, and has rigerously trained their minds and bodies to do hand to hand battle with the supernatural, and wield Faith based powers beyond those of most Sorcerers or Psychics.

Strike Force Zero is a government sponsered agency that gets toys from the technocracy to better fight such creatures.

Included are excellent rules for Humanity's use of Virtues in the Terror and Horror section, as well as a method of using Chi that could easily be adapted for use with Sorcerers.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009

I dunno, you do kind of help her complete the most important goal of her entire life.

Also why does she have a robot arm?

I think that is just wearing armor pieces over her jacket.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

No, you help her kill one demon. She's a demon hunter. It's what she does. She specifically tells you that there's no way she's giving you that sword.

Tube on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

No, you help her kill one demon. She's a demon hunter. It's what she does. She specifically tells you that there's no way she's giving you that sword.

Yeah but this is the same demon that killed her master. So...

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

She's still going to be hunting demons afterwards.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    J. GrantJ. Grant Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Pharezon wrote: »

She's still going to be hunting demons afterwards.

That's her job.

J. Grant on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you go back into the front of the ramen shop after you kill the demon, girly is gone,
    but her sword still sits on the counter.
    Way to be lazy, Troika.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh dang, i just started on this hotel place and it is all sorts of crazy :'o

Projeck on
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Hengeyokai was one of the better boss fights in Bloodlines.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I decided to get in on this, but you know what sucks?

When I found it on Steam, it said that it supports just about every windows variant except 95 and mine.

I use xp64.

Sad face.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Hengeyokai was one of the better boss fights in Bloodlines.

"I think I'm hallucinating. Did I just fight a land-shark?"

Starcross on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so I played through to the sisters last night

early game spoilers!
    It seems like this game really does have no qualms about fucking players over who don't have the proper skills for certain areas. Before anyone gets on my case for wanting games 'dumbed down' or whatever people say, this isn't a criticism - in fact, I actually like it.

It's just weird that, for instance, it seems to be impossible for me to get Mercurio the morphine. My girlfriend, playing a female Toreador, couldn't even get past the nurse and definitely doesn't possess the skills to get to the morphine. I, a male Tremere, was able to Dominate my way past the nurse, but I have shit for lockpick skill and even Blood Buff isn't enough to get me to the morphine. I haven't found a way to it that doesn't involve lockpicking yet.

Are all the clans this way, or are do some have some means of getting their skills higher faster? Right now, I have Thaumaturgy and Domination at two - should I stop raising those and focus on Persuade, Hacking, Lockpicking, etc?

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so I played through to the sisters last night

early game spoilers!
    It seems like this game really does have no qualms about fucking players over who don't have the proper skills for certain areas. Before anyone gets on my case for wanting games 'dumbed down' or whatever people say, this isn't a criticism - in fact, I actually like it.

It's just weird that, for instance, it seems to be impossible for me to get Mercurio the morphine. My girlfriend, playing a female Toreador, couldn't even get past the nurse and definitely doesn't possess the skills to get to the morphine. I, a male Tremere, was able to Dominate my way past the nurse, but I have shit for lockpick skill and even Blood Buff isn't enough to get me to the morphine. I haven't found a way to it that doesn't involve lockpicking yet.

Are all the clans this way, or are do some have some means of getting their skills higher faster? Right now, I have Thaumaturgy and Domination at two - should I stop raising those and focus on Persuade, Hacking, Lockpicking, etc?

That should cover you for a while. Thaumaturgy one is enough to take out most early enemies with ease, even vampiric ones. I'd focus on getting your hacking and lockpicking skills up to average. They'll get you a lot of good stuff in the near future.

As for the Toreador, couldn't Presence help with persuading the nurse? I've never played as one, but I would think it's possible.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    my girl's been pumping seduction

I read somewhere that that's not as helpful, but I've been the "no, don't pick that, that's not maximally effective for your character" guy enough to know that I don't want to be that guy anymore. also, apparently it's a lot better for ladies than for dudes, soo I don't think it's a big deal. she's been able to do shit I haven't because of how seductionary she is

also what should my Tremere do for blood? I drank a hooker, but that only got me a little past half and it wiped me out financially. I snacked on a hobo for all of a second, but that was a masquerade violation and I don't want any more. I don't want to eat rats. My unarmed skill is shit so I have no luck with grabbing guys in combat.

Are there any options I'm missing?

also I have only done the one quest for Mercurio (and didn't find his money), and right now I've probably got, oh, six experience points in total since I started. It's slow going. Am I going to start getting experience faster, or is every point valuable?

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Go in the sewers and feed on rats if you get desperate. As for XP, there's a lot of optional quests you can do around Santa Monica before continuing with the main story. Doing those will pay off real fast.
    Check the bail bondsman for a few.

But yes, every point is valuable. Be very sure you want something before purchasing it.

Blood Strike also drains a victim's blood in combat if you wait long enough. I usually just wail on an enemy then feed off them. My Tremere also lacks in strength, but it works after a few tries.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    doorbelldoorbell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I read somewhere that that's not as helpful, but I've been the "no, don't pick that, that's not maximally effective for your character" guy enough to know that I don't want to be that guy anymore. also, apparently it's a lot better for ladies than for dudes, soo I don't think it's a big deal. she's been able to do shit I haven't because of how seductionary she is

also what should my Tremere do for blood? I drank a hooker, but that only got me a little past half and it wiped me out financially. I snacked on a hobo for all of a second, but that was a masquerade violation and I don't want any more. I don't want to eat rats. My unarmed skill is shit so I have no luck with grabbing guys in combat.

also I have only done the one quest for Mercurio (and didn't find his money), and right now I've probably got, oh, six experience points in total since I started. It's slow going. Am I going to start getting experience faster, or is every point valuable?

go to the asylum and drink dem bitches for free

doorbell on
    fixed.jpg
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

For blood, just walk around the overmap and watch people. When they go off alone a little ways, take a drink. Save immediately beforehand just to make sure you won't get a masq. violation, since it's sometimes hard to tell. If you have some seduction, random chicks in nightclubs can act as blood dolls. Rats in the sewers carry no risk of violations, but won't give you much blood. With grabbing guys in combat, use blood buff to put your strength up and then refill on whoever you can. XP will be very precious for quite a while, but towards the endgame you'll start getting XP in bunches of 3,4, and 5 instead of 1 or 2.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i just got to the hotel

oh godddd

Kovak on
  • Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just started last night as well. Went...Toreador I think? Celerity, Auspex, and Presence with the plus 1 to attractiveness. I just tracked down the Cathayan and just met Therese but seduction has already been helpful. Opens up some feeding targets that just stand there all the time and let me go nuts and I've talked my way out a few things with it. I also need to get my lockpick and hacking up though, failing on 3s is no fun even if Blood Buff makes it work.

Seems like being generally 'nice' has made for more xp but I imagine that similar opportunites exist if your a dick.

Gonna continue tonight and maybe get through this hotel I keep hearing so much about.

Drijen on
  • Options
    DrijenDrijen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What the ffffuck hotel, why you gotta be like this?

Drijen on
  • Options
    scarlet ave.scarlet ave. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drijen wrote: »
    I just started last night as well. Went...Toreador I think? Celerity, Auspex, and Presence with the plus 1 to attractiveness. I just tracked down the Cathayan and just met Therese but seduction has already been helpful. Opens up some feeding targets that just stand there all the time and let me go nuts and I've talked my way out a few things with it. I also need to get my lockpick and hacking up though, failing on 3s is no fun even if Blood Buff makes it work.

Seems like being generally 'nice' has made for more xp but I imagine that similar opportunites exist if your a dick.

Gonna continue tonight and maybe get through this hotel I keep hearing so much about.

I think in general you get more cash and gear if you're a dick, but more experience if you're nice.

scarlet ave. on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hahah. Everyone has the same reaction to the Hotel, everytime.

Really one of the only videogames that has made me genuinely freaked out as opposed to just startled.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Damn that hotel, it's all just so well done, every little part.

There's another creepy part if you actually look for it:
    On the second floor, in the unlocked bedroom on the left, there is a fire axe hidden behind a couch. The creepy part is this is most likely the very weapon used in the murders described in the papers

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The hotel just serves as a reminder,
    there's some things even supernatural powers can't help you against.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was grinning through the hotel. :D

Actually, the thing that scares me the most
    is the god damned head-arm dude(s). If I don't see them first, that scream gets me every time. Then I punch them to death. My malk will fire axe them to death though.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So, I had medium lockpicking and medium-high hacking on my Brujah. I was planning on eschewing both of those on my malk, but god damn, you can't do anything without them. So annoying!

moocow on
    imttnk.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the hotel freaked me out until iw as like

wait fuck this

im a vampire

i have access to a whole host of supernatural powers

Kovak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

On the second floor, in the unlocked bedroom on the left, there is a fire axe hidden behind a couch. The creepy part is this is most likely the very weapon used in the murders described in the papers

Finished the game at least 7 times. Never found that. You are a star.

Tube on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kovak wrote: »

wait fuck this

im a vampire

you are likely a 12th or 13th gen who was just turned like 2 days ago by a dumb and very weak vampire

you don't got much going for you

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Finished the game at least 7 times. Never found that. You are a star.

I get it every time, it's especially boss for melee at that point

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's nice playing the game after a long break when you can't remember absolutely everything about it. The hotel creeped me out again this time when most of the time I just speed through it. Playing a nosferatu really is the weakest runthrough though, because so much stuff just won't talk to you

Tube on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's nice playing the game after a long break when you can't remember absolutely everything about it. The hotel creeped me out again this time when most of the time I just speed through it. Playing a nosferatu really is the weakest runthrough though, because so much stuff just won't talk to you

I played a malk my first game

man did that fuck me up

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

wait fuck this

im a vampire

you are likely a 12th or 13th gen who was just turned like 2 days ago by a dumb and very weak vampire

And you're not a Giovanni. Wraiths are waaaay out of your league.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »

wait fuck this

im a vampire

i dont know

like i feel fairly powerful

i didnt really feel that threatened except for a couple times in the hotel

Kovak on