As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game Onduit] The Conduit - Get on to it!

agoajagoaj Top TierOne FearRegistered User regular
edited March 2010 in Games and Technology
conduitlogo.jpg
Out Now!
The name you give to your singleplayer save is the same as your online one. You can't change it without losing your friendcode.
From the people that brought you White Men Can't Jump and Hunter: The Reckoning comes the action packed [strike]Halo Clone[/strike] First Person Shooter for the Wii. You'll follow the adventures of [strike]Gun-Haver Guy[/strike] Michael Ford to uncover the secrets of the attacking aliens(The Drudge) and the United States Trust.

IT'S GOT 12-Player ONLINE!
With friend codes!
What about Split-Screen?
None, multiplayer is online only
But that's ok, because you can add Conduit friends through your console Wii friend codes. I'm starting this thread early so that we can all get our codes registered.
Conduit Friend Codes:
PM me with your code and I'll add it.
Links on peoples names will PM them.
Agoaj --- 4941-3210-5686
Brokecracker --- 2278-4406-0220
CyrixD --- 4039-3778-1816
Psyck0 --- 3566-9324-1922
arde --- 4941-3212-2421
Glenn565 --- 4382-9786-6684
Guek --- 0818-1547-6329
Imperious --- 0130-9598-8031
Htown --- 1677-1499-6813
Mars --- 2106-6447-5778
mrcheesypants --- 2106-6490-6983
Delphinus --- 5241-9781-2836
spiderpat01 --- 0302-7629-0186
Lord Yod --- 4340-0371-6164
Delzhand --- 3137-4479-7147
dispatch.o --- 3352-1962-2593

We've switched over to Conduit codes, you can find your Conduit friend code on the left side of the multiplayer menu.

PICTURES!
theconduit04.jpgtheconduit07.jpgtheconduitpic21.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
agoaj on

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a fool's hope that the game won't just crash and burn, but it does look like the multi is at least as fun as any other shooter.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a fool's hope that the game won't just crash and burn, but it does look like the multi is at least as fun as any other shooter.

I kind of agree, though I think you might mean "at least as fun as any other shooter from 2004." The bunny-hopping in the second video brings back some fond memories of Quake 2, though.

I'm trying desperately not to crap on the game whenever I see it, but since I'm not really a big FPS fan, I really can't see what separates this from any other 5-year-old entry in the genre aside from controls.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It looks fun like Goldeneye/Quake III Arena was fun.

But still, I'm not going to buy a full price game for it and I imagine the online community will die fast so waiting for budget isn't really going to work.

If only it were 1998 and there was a constant stream of school friends to play multiplayer with.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have two friends who worked on this game. I owe it to them to at least rent it.

Edit: They were really proud of all the control configurations - I wonder if there's a way to play with the Wii Zapper, since I happen to have it...

Delzhand on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

I kind of agree, though I think you might mean "at least as fun as any other shooter from 2004." The bunny-hopping in the second video brings back some fond memories of Quake 2, though.

I'm trying desperately not to crap on the game whenever I see it, but since I'm not really a big FPS fan, I really can't see what separates this from any other 5-year-old entry in the genre aside from controls.

Please name a Wii FPS that has multiplayer deathmatch that doesn't use real weapons.

urahonky on
    edited June 2009
    Or any Wii FPS with multiplayer, for that matter.

Delzhand on
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Or any Wii FPS with multiplayer, for that matter.

I remember some people here speaking well of one of the Medal of Honor games for Wii—had something like 32 or 64 online player and really nice controls, though I never tried it myself.
    urahonky wrote:
    Please name a Wii FPS that has multiplayer deathmatch that doesn't use real weapons.

I don't want to turn this into a flame war, but that's the thing that irks me about it: Its main distinguishing characteristic is that it's on the Wii. It's the definition of a double standard to not take the game to task for appearing super-generic just because it's on a certain platform. And I think Wii IR pointer controls can be awesome—I just think the game itself looks pretty bland. It would look just as bland in 720p (or even 640p) on a 360 or PS3.

Is there a regular thread for the game around here? I want to see more of the main campaign. I wouldn't mind at least trying Conduit's single-player if the controls are as bangin' as they seem to be.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited June 2009
    It's the definition of a double standard to not take the game to task for appearing super-generic just because it's on a certain platform.
    I don't know about this sentiment. I don't think it's as prominent as is bandied about, or it's being misinterpreted.

A "generic FPS" is a World War 2 FPS. If this game was WW2 and was being lauded like it is, that would definitely be a double standard.

I don't think the complaint is typically that other consoles get a ton of generic FPSs, just that there are so many that they all start to blend together - including the good ones. Despite the fact that the good ones are clearly not generic. And I don't think anyone has a problem with the ones that stand out for whatever reason. If a game stands out because it has exceptional graphics, or excellent controls, or a really engaging story, or because it is a particularly good effort in an under-represented genre, then I applaud that.

Or look at it this way: if the DS had no SRPGs, then the first one out would be snapped up by SRPG fans. If the 360 had no RPGs, the first one would probably cause people to take notice. Similarly the first decent effort at an online FPS will attract some attention. This doesn't automatically make them all good games, but they are worth a look due to being the first effort in that genre on the console, in the hopes that a decent effort would attract more of that genre to the console.

So in summary: I don't like floods of generic FPSs. While the 360 has a lot of FPSs it's true that it has some good standouts that are worth enjoying. The Wii hasn't had a flood of releases despite having controls I enjoy, so to me the Conduit stands out and is worth checking out.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From the trailers I thought this would be more akin to Timesplitters but watching an E3 multiplayer video it looks like a Halo ripoff. Disappointing.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will be giving Conduit a fair try by renting it first (I have it reserved even) and despite my doubts I do hope it turns out great after all, I think High Voltage's intentions are very admirable.

Moioink on
    edited June 2009
    urahonky wrote:

I don't want to turn this into a flame war, but that's the thing that irks me about it: Its main distinguishing characteristic is that it's on the Wii. It's the definition of a double standard to not take the game to task for appearing super-generic just because it's on a certain platform. And I think Wii IR pointer controls can be awesome—I just think the game itself looks pretty bland. It would look just as bland in 720p (or even 640p) on a 360 or PS3.

Is there a regular thread for the game around here? I want to see more of the main campaign. I wouldn't mind at least trying Conduit's single-player if the controls are as bangin' as they seem to be.

I don't understand where this double-standard thing is coming from? I haven't read any "olol generic FPS game #10209" about other games that come out on any other system. The only ones I read are about WWII games. And you have to agree we've seen quite a few of them in the past few years.

I think there needs to be more FPS games set in the sci-fi universe, honestly. I love futuristic weapons, and if this were going on any of the other consoles I'd be all for this game. :)

urahonky on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm still cautiously optimistic, although The Grinder does look much more interesting.
    Does anyone know if this has splitscreen multiplayer?

Xagarath on
    edited June 2009
    When I think about how pointer aiming trivialized the cable-car section of RE5 I realize this might be an FPS I can actually compete in.

Delzhand on
    edited June 2009
    Yeah that was the best part of RE4 (which is what you meant :P ), I'd have 5 guys running at me, I'd pop each in the kneecap and then knife them without a problem.

urahonky on
    edited June 2009
    urahonky wrote:
    I don't understand where this double-standard thing is coming from? I haven't read any "olol generic FPS game #10209" about other games that come out on any other system. The only ones I read are about WWII games. And you have to agree we've seen quite a few of them in the past few years.

I think there needs to be more FPS games set in the sci-fi universe, honestly. I love futuristic weapons, and if this were going on any of the other consoles I'd be all for this game. :)

I think it's just that when I see the game in action, it reminds me of footage from Haze and TimeShift and some other also-ran recent FPSes. Conduit doesn't really deserve it, since impressions have been so positive on its controls and feel; it's probably just me being cranky lately, don't bother listening to me. :P
    Or look at it this way: if the DS had no SRPGs, then the first one out would be snapped up by SRPG fans. If the 360 had no RPGs, the first one would probably cause people to take notice. Similarly the first decent effort at an online FPS will attract some attention. This doesn't automatically make them all good games, but they are worth a look due to being the first effort in that genre on the console, in the hopes that a decent effort would attract more of that genre to the console.

Conduit does look to have a shit-ton of great online features that should become standards for all future Wii games, FPS or otherwise. The Grinder looks a lot more interesting to me, and since it's obviously going to build on what the developers have done with Conduit, it bodes well for online features and such.

Lunker on
    edited June 2009
    It's funny because I own both TimeShift and Haze. :) I haven't played Haze yet (got it from Gamefly for $6), but I loved TimeShift a lot.

urahonky on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I'm still cautiously optimistic, although The Grinder does look much more interesting.

I was curious about that too, turns out it doesn't which means I'm unlikely to ever buy it post-rental. What is with this generation being so stingy on good local multiplayer games? Seriously :...:

Moioink on
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »

I was curious about that too, turns out it doesn't which means I'm unlikely to ever buy it post-rental. What is with this generation being so stingy on good local multiplayer games? Seriously :...:

C'mon. Everyone knows gamers don't have friends.

I'm quite irked by it too. It's really the only reason the Wii gets play time nowadays.

urahonky on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »

Well, that's me a good deal less enthusiastic.

Xagarath on
  • UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Generic or not, I love me some sci-fi/fantasy shooters, and I love me some Wii shooter controls. Since the combination of both is in woefully short supply, I am eagerly looking forward to this game. As long as the gameplay itself is fun, I don't mind if it includes every sci-fi/fantasy cliche under the sun :)

I do like that they are trying to make the most of the hardware, hopefully we get a fun game out of it.
    The lack of local multi certainly sucks, though :(

UreshiiAkuma on
    edited June 2009
    They're have not been enough Halo clones in my opinion. I havn't gotten that great FPS feel since Halo 1.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • TAYREL_713TAYREL_713 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any more reviews pop up on-line?

TAYREL_713 on
    Stays Krunchy In Milk
    www.stayskrunchyinmilk.com
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not online, but a Nintendo Power review gave it an 8 out of 10.

Antimatter on
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really, really want this game to succeed. But watching the videos and looking at the screens, I'm not impressed at all. After spending hundreds of hours playing Halo 3 and CoD online, the bar is set pretty high for me (regardless of what some of you may think, those two games are golden for me).

The dilemma is I really don't want to spend $50 on this game, especially since I won't have stable internet until the end of July. But I want it to do well, so not buying it will hurt that.

Aarggh.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • NH03NH03 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This game is destined to be below expectation because of the spotlight and high expectations. The idea that games can be good without good graphics is in of itself a good idea but, when not put into the right context the idea loses its meaning.

NH03 on
    vincentsig.jpg
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Typical Hardcore Gamer"

comic_0551_typicalhardcoregamer.jpg

Seriously though, I'm going to go out on a limb and buy it. The screens/vids have been hit and miss, so I should honestly rent it first, but this time I'm just going to go on faith. Graphically it looks great for a Wii title and little frame rate chugs every once in a while doesn't bother me. Besides, TF2 doesn't look great graphically and that game is freakin' sweet.

I'm really buying this game for the unique control scheme, the customizable HUD, the online multiplayer (bounty hunter sounds too good), and to support HVS. These guys are trying hard to cater to the hardcore Wii owner and I appreciate it. Worse case scenario is that the game sucks and I'll have to try and return it or flip it on Ebay. It's not as though I haven't been burned in the past a dozen times before.

I'd like to catch up with some PAers that are down for online. Anyone found a good (ie cheap) deal on the Wii Speak mic yet?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • TAYREL_713TAYREL_713 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TAYREL_713 on
    Stays Krunchy In Milk
    www.stayskrunchyinmilk.com
    edited June 2009
    There is justice in that those who pick this up later will have to live with the normal boxart.
    33lcaiv.jpg

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited June 2009
    It's clear that Cassamassina has a raging hard-on for this game but to be honest everything I've seen shows a solid 8. If the controls are as good as everyone says it'll be well worth it.

UncleSporky on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=86799

Interesting to note that The Conduit is in the top fifty sales on Amazon. That may be a good sign for the game.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited June 2009
    I'm terribly torn on this one. Clearly they put a lot of work into it, and it looks very well made, judging from the IGN video review. I certainly want it to do well to encourage other developers to make FPSs.

That being said, I'm just not interested in it. The story and artistic design sound bland, and like he said, it's nothing revolutionary.

I don't know what I'll do.

EDIT: And as of now, it's #36 on Amazon.

AuburnTiger on
    edited June 2009
    I guess I don't see why every experience has to be revolutionary. I don't mean to argue against you, it's just my general outlook. Of course depending on your budget you may have to choose only the revolutionary games.

UncleSporky on
    edited June 2009
    I guess I don't see why every experience has to be revolutionary. I don't mean to argue against you, it's just my general outlook. Of course depending on your budget you may have to choose only the revolutionary games.

Oh, I agree completely. It's just that my bar is set pretty high when it comes to a FPS, so I'm quite picky. And yeah, money is tight; but I did buy Klonoa a few days ago, so I'm trying to support those in need! :)

AuburnTiger on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Personally I just don't like FPS, but I'm also torn, as HVS obviously put more work and effort into this game than most major companies do with what they throw on the Wii.

That deserves respect and our money....so I'm tempted to go out and buy it tomorrow...but oh, my dislike of FPS keeps popping up.

What to do... :(

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm picking it up tomorrow. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to play everyone but I'll certainly give it a go. That reminds me that I need to set up my WiiSpeak, too.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This may be a stupid question, but does this use the same engine as the Metroid Prime series? Something about the way the game moves and looks just screams "Metroid Prime" to me.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm buying it but have no idea why.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TF2 doesn't look great graphically and that game is freakin' sweet.

you fucking take that back you son of a bitch

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited June 2009
    This may be a stupid question, but does this use the same engine as the Metroid Prime series? Something about the way the game moves and looks just screams "Metroid Prime" to me.

No, completely different engine and developers. I don't think any of them have ever been in the same room as each other.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png