As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flesh + Blood [NSFW] *more

GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Artist's Corner
Decided to make a thread for these paintings rather than spammin the doodle thread.

(all oil, all lifesize)

3644903122_c07ed09bc1.jpg

3644903298_88287ac8e7.jpg

This is whats on the easel from this morning. Gunna spend some time pushing it after this dries some.

3647945826_efd724fdf3.jpg

more to come

Greatnation on

• Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is dat sum oils?

Arden Canelo on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh. oh you're good.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh shit those are goregeous

Kochikens on
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The middle one has some amazing movement; nice work on the gestures, and kudos for not overworking them.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like those alot, but it kind of looks like you're avoiding drawing the faces. Are you doing this as an intentional part of the works, or do you have difficulty with faces?

Red_Arremer on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You could sell those first two for profit.

Mustang on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thanks alot everyone.

Sadly, the first one doesnt exist any more, the second one is on that same board.

I haven't been avoiding faces on purpose, but that is funny that all three have subdued heads. Those are all independent solutions. Regardless, thats a good observation.

Greatnation on
  • MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    You could sell those first two for profit.

He could if he still had them.
    It's got alot to do with surface preparation and lubrication.
    :winky:

That last one could use some more hipbone. The bottom half seems very stiff in comparison to the top. Gonna post a better photo of it?

MufasaJoe on
    edited June 2009
    well i still got that second one. I'll get a better photo of the second one with some natural light tomorrow.

Painting like this is gets really stressful, because you can have something going that really rocks and then totally fuck it up before you know it.

Greatnation on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    uggggghhhh you're so awesome

RubberAC on
  • MindsackMindsack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    these are intense, id love to see your process from start to finish, you said they were underpaintings right?

Mindsack on
    (''''\('-_-')/'''') rawr http://gabrielmolina.tumblr.com
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i really, really love the first one.

the straight, simplified contours of the face combined with the flow and detail of the body really work.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • t i mt i m Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea I gotta agree, Awesome! Love, love, love the first one! If I were to add crit, more like nit-picking really...splash some color and texture into the background to add some pop to your subject.. You should check out Mattias Snygg, I think you'd like his stuff:

http://www.mattiassnygg.com/personalwork.htm

t i m on
    God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die.” Bill Watterson
    edited June 2009
    3652547238_66c66efba5.jpg

Worked this one some more today, pushed alot around. Can't decide if it's something to keep yet.

and thanks everyone, I'll see about putting together a process thing. Tim that dude's pretty sick, I havent seen his work before thanks for the link. I wouldn't quite call them underpaintings, because I don't usually take them much further

Greatnation on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So how much do you charge for your paintings? Do you ever do gallery showings?

Godfather on
    edited June 2009
    Haven't shown yet in a gallery setting, hopefully will do so soon though. I'd ask for about 800 bucks for a painting I thought was finished though.

Greatnation on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    uh

the movement in that last one

really sexy

also

I went to a little gallery in downtown Denver today. They had some good oil paintings and Dr. Seuss sculptures and certified prints or whatever. The other stuff though: meh. Point is, the mehs were priced at ~$1900 and your stuff is much better than a lot of the stuff in there.

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    man I would love to sell a painting for nigh 2k. Pricing just isn't something I know alot about honestly. It's tricky business, balancing how much you think its worth and how much you think someone would pay for it.

Greatnation on
    edited June 2009
    man I would love to sell a painting for nigh 2k. Pricing just isn't something I know alot about honestly. It's tricky business, balancing how much you think its worth and how much you think someone would pay for it.

listen, if you want to sell stuff ever, I have a protip for you:

smear, stipple, sponge some paint on a canvas

right?

yeah?

now paint a square somewhere on it in a different color

apparently variations on that shit just flies out the door

also

if you want to want people to actually look at your art, consider sneaking something cool into those paintings people hang in their bathrooms just opposite the toilet. just an idea.

Tam on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Little cynical about people's enjoying Rothko, Tam? =P

mattharvest on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    you want to sell a painting, toss in a child or a dog

or both

you think I'm joking, but a painting of a kid or a dog will sell twenty times faster than any other subject

pay yo bills, stack dat paper

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2009
    Little cynical about people's enjoying Rothko, Tam? =P

just a little

I'd seriously consider selling prints with instructions to hang them at sitting eye-level opposite the toilet if I wanted people to look at my art, though.

Also, nation, will you be doing refined stuff any time soon?

Tam on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Holy
    fucking
    fuck, dude.

You should be getting a professional photographer to get really hi res shots of these and find somewhere that does high quality canvas prints. I'd pay $200-300 for a reproduction of that second pic you posted, unframed. Gorgeous.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

or both

what about a child-dog?

a puppy

or like ... some kind of centaur set-up

mully on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You have the best models

The Black Hunter on
    edited July 2009
    ruzkin- thanks alot man, i've actually been thinking about making some legit prints, if not just to be able to give out to friends and family.

tam- yeah I'm working some stuff right now thats getting to a pretty crisp level, but alot of what I'm making will probably end up staying less refined.

black hunter- no models or refs used on these, but I am going figure drawing tomorrow night for the first time in a long time. Should be exciting.

More art poast coming this week

Greatnation on
  • ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Well, don't keep me hangin' or anything :)

I'd love some really hi-res shots of your art, I love figures with movement and you have dynamic movement in every fucking brushstroke.

ruzkin on
    g4OlSIF.jpg
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You have the best imaginary models

The Black Hunter on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    mully wrote: »

or both

what about a child-dog?

a puppy

or like ... some kind of centaur set-up

Instant world recognition

RubberAC on
    edited July 2009
    Some wet on wet thick paint action.

3718094703_7cd0373071.jpg

and something sketchy that I like alot more.

3718094621_4290884f13.jpg

Looks like I got a show in the works for this space in mid/late August. It should be pretty cool, as of right now its a one man so I gotta crank out some work for reals.

( I apologize for the shitty pic quality)

Greatnation on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sold on the first one, from the waist down, superb, but from the waist up the structure goes a bit googly, the shoulders and breasts are skewed and the head looks oversized.

The second one I like very much, well as much as I can from what I can make out.

Mustang on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Holy crap.

I would buy that last one so hard. Like, the wad of bills would leave a 2" crater in your chest.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2009
    Ditto on what 'stang said on that first one, though. The proportions and angles seem off, and it just doesn't seem up to par with your other stuff in this thread. It looks almost like a half-assed attempt at recreating the very first piece you posted, which I thought was fantastic.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited July 2009
    ElJeffe what the hell are you doing in the Artist's Corner? GET OUT! IF YOU LEAVE FOR TEN SECONDS, D&D WILL BE A SMOKING RUIN!

Also, nation, I'm just going to back up Mustang and the foreigner- first one is pretty meh and the second one is all kinds of dynamic and great.

Tam on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You should start painting a face here or there. It might go a long ways towards improving your work.

Also, if you want to see someone who is really really good at what I think you are trying to do...you should take a look at Steve Huston.

rts on
    edited July 2009
    Thanks folks.

I hear that about the first one. It got to heavy, changed my mind about too much stuff at the last minute and just wasn't able to lock anything down. I've got a plan of attack in mind though, which includes a developed portrait.

/edit

Yeah Huston rules. He knows how to work with some big paint.

Greatnation on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Call me a dick but these look like really great starts to a painting.

Id be sold on calling them "polished" finishes if you had a few hints of color to take them past monochromatic along with what cake mentioned about the faces. Some great gestures itd be nice if some of your more energentic mark making inside the figure was a bit more informed by either anatomy or an indication of form. Some of its coming off as just scribbling. (not all though. Youve got alot of really nice marks)

Pretty nit picky things but I think its important enough to mention..

Kendeathwalker on
    edited July 2009
    3729536235_bb4563513f.jpg

3730334104_4c892dec94.jpg

2 more, smaller.

Ken- That painting isn't near finish yet, and I'll be taking your advice seriously next time I visit it. It's locked in someone elses studio right now, lol, so I can't get to it =( But as for now, there are no grounds to call you a dick.

Greatnation on
    edited July 2009
    3759070613_ed03f01b75.jpg

started this today

Greatnation on