As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Raiding Ulduar to stop the Corruption of Flesh

• ExistentialSoundandFuryExistentialSoundandFury Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So far keeping the group together until the very last moment for portals has been the key to progressing that fight. It has also been something people are slow to catch on to....

ExistentialSoundandFury on
    399831.jpg
  • Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So XT-002 Hard Mode tonight, 10 man, first time.

We're going to tank him north center in front of the stairs, drop light bombs off to Nobody the Paladin tank in the west to be burned down by ranged, run gravity bombs to the east, group up ranged in the center.

Questions for those of you who have killed him 10 man
    - At least on your first kills, did you use speed potions or stuff like elementals on the heart phase, or was standard, unrestrained DPS enough to bring him down?
    - Did you kill any scrapbots at all or just let them get to him seeing as he's going to 100% anyway if the heart goes down
    - I'm assuming you used 2 healers
    - I'm also assuming that your raid has a fair amount of heroic uld gear equipped, but if your DPS is loaded to the balls with Best in Slot gear please let me know as while we have good gear, it's not top-end Ulduar

Also I'm assuming these answers refer to attempts made post-nerf, so please specify otherwise. Thank you in advance for any suggestions and tips!

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We blew every cooldown we had on 25man, but on 10man usually just lust was enough. Try it, see if you can do it.

Don't bother killing scrapbots, it isn't worth it. Just kill the pummelers while you wait for all the scrapbots to get to him.

Dhalphir on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, General. My 10 man group was having difficulties, but our group comp was melee heavy, was this the problem or do we just suck?

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Were you getting Mark of the Faceless or Shadow Crash on the melee?

Dhalphir on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yes and I think one or two after we decided to move the healers into melee. I was meleeing for OOC and got a mark of the faceless.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, you wanna keep ranged away from melee. Healers shouldn't stack.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

We're going to tank him north center in front of the stairs, drop light bombs off to Nobody the Paladin tank in the west to be burned down by ranged, run gravity bombs to the east, group up ranged in the center.

- At least on your first kills, did you use speed potions or stuff like elementals on the heart phase, or was standard, unrestrained DPS enough to bring him down?
    - Did you kill any scrapbots at all or just let them get to him seeing as he's going to 100% anyway if the heart goes down
    - I'm also assuming that your raid has a fair amount of heroic uld gear equipped, but if your DPS is loaded to the balls with Best in Slot gear please let me know as while we have good gear, it's not top-end Ulduar

Also I'm assuming these answers refer to attempts made post-nerf, so please specify otherwise. Thank you in advance for any suggestions and tips!

I would suggest tanking him in between the scrap piles on either the east or west side of the room. This prevents anything from spawning from those piles during the heart phase, and anything that does spawn will have to travel really far before you need to deal with it.

Our usual set up is 2 tanks, 3 heals and 5 dps, but one of the times we downed him one of our healers had disconnected the entire fight so 2 healing is certainly an option. We blow lust on the heart and the healers help dps it as much as they can.

We don't have very much/any heroic Uld gear. A smattering of 10 man hard mode stuff, but even that is limited.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
    edited June 2009
    Yes and I think one or two after we decided to move the healers into melee. I was meleeing for OOC and got a mark of the faceless.

Don't have healers stack in 10man unless your DPS is all range except maybe one melee dps + one tank.

Otherwise, you risk tipping the balance which says that Shadow Crash and Mark of the Faceless will not target melee UNLESS there are not sufficient targets at range.

Dhalphir on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yep, same.
    We didn't use anything, I think we did use heroism though. See if you have the DPS to do it without it, it's helpful later on if your healers are starting to go oom.
    We ignore them. Kill the other stuff though.
    I actually think we did it with 3 (+1 tank) the first time. The DPS requirements aren't as brutal on 10 man so you shouldn't hit the enrage timer.
    Our group is 3-4 main raiders, 3-4 raider's alts, and 2 "casuals." So anywhere from Naxx 10-Ulduar 25.
    -What classes are your healers? If you have a Priest, have them glyph for Holy Nova and faceroll during Tantrum. Nope, not kidding... We do it on 25 man too.
    -We tank him at the bottom of the stairs, and we have him sideways to the ranged; Tank to the west, melee to the east. Melee cuddle on his right leg (away from us) and strafe to the left leg if they get light bomb so they never lose DPS time.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    edited June 2009
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Don't have healers stack in 10man unless your DPS is all range except maybe one melee dps + one tank.

Otherwise, you risk tipping the balance which says that Shadow Crash and Mark of the Faceless will not target melee UNLESS there are not sufficient targets at range.

Yep, you need 3 ranged on normal and 8? on heroic.

Ishtaar on
  • -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not sure if anyone here knows about this.... or if it even a bug. If you tank XT to the right wall in between the two trash piles, adds only come from the 2 trash piles on the far left.

Make is easy and gives lots of time to DPS the heart :D

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -Phil- wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone here knows about this.... or if it even a bug. If you tank XT to the right wall in between the two trash piles, adds only come from the 2 trash piles on the far left.

Isn't this sort of an exploit (yeah, I realize Blizzard still hasn't done anything about it, but still)?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited June 2009
    And if you make FL go through the wall then you can GY zerg him or something and get banned.

Ishtaar on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Naphtali wrote: »

Isn't this sort of an exploit (yeah, I realize Blizzard still hasn't done anything about it, but still)?

No, its not an exploit, because you're not abusing terrain or doing anything even remotely wrong. All you're doing is pulling the boss to an open space on the left or right wall.

As far as Heartbreaker goes, my guild completed it successfully using a rather strange tactic. We tanked XT right smack dab in the middle of the room. After we broke the heart, we DPS'd down the pummeler robots and ignored the scrap bots. We let XT eat the scrap bots while we were killing the pummelers and bomb bots. Since he heals to full after you break the heart, we decided not to waste the effort on killing the scrap bots, and instead use the time while he's eating them to kill the other adds so we don't have any extra mobs in the room to deal with. Normally we just offtank the pummelers to the side on a regular kill.

Lucascraft on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That almost sounds like an intended feature. If XT is too close to a pile, nothing will spawn from it, so you're not screwed via scrapbots spawning right beside him. Because like you said, there's nothing saying you're forced to tank him at the stairs, you're free to do it wherever you want.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited June 2009
    -What classes are your healers? If you have a Priest, have them glyph for Holy Nova and faceroll during Tantrum. Nope, not kidding... We do it on 25 man too.

Myself the Resto druid and Holy or Disc priest. I think she's already glyphed for HN too
    -We tank him at the bottom of the stairs, and we have him sideways to the ranged; Tank to the west, melee to the east. Melee cuddle on his right leg (away from us) and strafe to the left leg if they get light bomb so they never lose DPS time.

So wait you don't offtank the adds?

Lunatic Clam on
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    the main tank should be able to tank any adds. they don't hit for a lot. you can kill any tanked adds pretty fast after the heart goes down.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
    edited June 2009
    Hm. Maybe just have our pally grab them then. I guess in that case we'd run light bombs to the side of XT so he could snap aggro them, because I'd be worried about light bomb ticks on melee.

Lunatic Clam on
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    just tank XT in the middle of two piles on the right or left, when the heart comes out the tank can long range taunt the one pummeller that comes out. you don't even have to worry about adds if you do it right. (assuming 10 man ofcourse never done 25)

tanking at one side of the room gives you forever to kill the heart before any adds get anywhere close to the raid. It might be beneficial to move the boss after the heart is dead to give people more room, in between those two piles gets pretty claustrophobic with the spark dealies that come out on top of the bombs.

also make sure that anyone with a bomb goes to where they are supposed to go. Last attempt I had the holy priest decided that they did not want to train light bomb through the ranged killing the sparks and ran straight backwards out of range of where the healers were expecting the bomb targets to be.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
    edited June 2009

Myself the Resto druid and Holy or Disc priest. I think she's already glyphed for HN too
    That's going to be an amazing setup. Holy Nova ends up being so much better than PoH since it's in little bursts and almost eliminates the "that heal was like .0002 seconds from landing when you died"

So wait you don't offtank the adds?
    What format said. I glossed over that, oopsie!

Yep, we have a Pally tank - He picks up everything, including the adds and the sparks in P2.

Ishtaar on
    edited June 2009
    Sweet, thanks for all the help, peoples.

Lunatic Clam on
    edited June 2009

This is not an exploit.

You get the same number of adds every spawn. if you tank him between two piles, however, you get four piles worth from two piles.

Also, its a Bad Idea (tm) to do this on hard mode. The hearts cast bar ends just as the first scrapbots will be reaching him, if you tank him in the center of the room. However if you tank him on the side, scrapbots will reach him after hardmode has already engaged, wasting DPS time because you'll have to kill them.
    Lucascraft wrote:
    As far as Heartbreaker goes, my guild completed it successfully using a rather strange tactic. We tanked XT right smack dab in the middle of the room. After we broke the heart, we DPS'd down the pummeler robots and ignored the scrap bots. We let XT eat the scrap bots while we were killing the pummelers and bomb bots. Since he heals to full after you break the heart, we decided not to waste the effort on killing the scrap bots, and instead use the time while he's eating them to kill the other adds so we don't have any extra mobs in the room to deal with. Normally we just offtank the pummelers to the side on a regular kill.

This doesn't sound very strange. Thats the exact strategy that seems logical.

Dhalphir on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, its a Bad Idea (tm) to do this on hard mode. The hearts cast bar ends just as the first scrapbots will be reaching him, if you tank him in the center of the room. However if you tank him on the side, scrapbots will reach him after hardmode has already engaged, wasting DPS time because you'll have to kill them.

To be fair the timer on hardmode enrage is currently a joke so letting scrapbots reach him while the raid takes care of any pummelers isn't really a problem.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited June 2009
    Adda wrote: »

To be fair the timer on hardmode enrage is currently a joke so letting scrapbots reach him while the raid takes care of any pummelers isn't really a problem.

That's not what I mean. Thats what happens in the center. Scrapbots currently reach him while you're taking care of pummelers. However, when we tanked him on the side, to see how it went, scrapbots were only just over halfway to him, and all the pummelers were dead. Thus we could either sit on our thumb and do nothing, or waste DPS time and kill them.

Dhalphir on
  • BikkstahBikkstah Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So Malygos P3 has this crazy vortex graphic now. Wiped our raid, made a few people throw up and the majority of the guild couldn't see the sparks. Good patch bug.

Bikkstah on
    edited June 2009
    That's just the crazy vortex graphic that happens when the platform shatters and you first mount the drakes. There's a bug where sometimes it doesn't go away.

Dhalphir on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

This is not an exploit.

You get the same number of adds every spawn. if you tank him between two piles, however, you get four piles worth from two piles.

Lucascraft wrote:

This doesn't sound very strange. Thats the exact strategy that seems logical.

Well, I realize the dynamics of 10 and 25 are quite different, but in 10man we just let our MT hold an extra pummeler through the entire fight. We tank him between 2 piles and kill the adds like normal on 10man heartbreaker.

Lucascraft on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So on harder modes of Flame Leviathan how do you keep the launchy people from dying in the air?

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This question confuses me cos I'm not sure why they would die in the air. Choppers are healing them during taxi duty right?

riz on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You don't worry about it. Pick them up when they're on the ground, get them to their demolishers. If they get screwed while flying off of FL, then chances are there's not much you could have done.

Dehumanized on
    edited June 2009
    If they die in the air its probably because your siege tanks are failing at interrupting flame vents

Dhalphir on
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bikkstah wrote: »
    So Malygos P3 has this crazy vortex graphic now. Wiped our raid, made a few people throw up and the majority of the guild couldn't see the sparks. Good patch bug.

I had this happen to me last patch, god it is so distracting. Akin to some sort of fucked up LSD trip.

It only happened like once or twice though, and then reverted to normal.

Corp.Shephard on
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tell them to dismount as soon as Flame Lev is stunned, it's instant and doesn't leave you flying around like a balloon while your chopper waits around for you.

On XT, if you tank him between two piles then no, you don't get all 4 piles worth of mobs from the other two, he still attempts to summon adds from the two closest piles but with him being close the mobs don't spawn, you will often end up with a single pummeler and maybe two groups of scrap bots or a single group of scrap bots and a bomb bot, rarely will you have more adds than this and if so it's no issue because if you cannot beat the enrage timer as it currently stands then you need better dps.

If you position your raid as such

Pile1

Tank|XT|Melee --- Range group 1 --- Range group 2 --- Range group 3

Pile 2

Then Range group 3 will more than likely be able to take a few seconds to kill any scrap bots or bombs that happen to show up, they usually arrive around 3-4s after the heart phase is done, pummeler is offtanked and killed before the first spark and bang you are done with the adds.

Junpei on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    sometimes you'll still get a fuckton of scrap bots though.

sometimes, you get nothing at all....

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    riz wrote: »
    This question confuses me cos I'm not sure why they would die in the air. Choppers are healing them during taxi duty right?

I'm not entirely sure. If I had to guess, two of us collided with a pillar? Says we got one shot by hodir's fury or whatever before we even got a chance to hit the ground.

I don't remember seeing a pillar near us, and even if there was, how the hell are we supposed to keep that from killing people in mid air?

However....
    Junpei wrote: »
    Tell them to dismount as soon as Flame Lev is stunned, it's instant and doesn't leave you flying around like a balloon while your chopper waits around for you.

That I didn't know. Might help in certain situations.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    End wrote: »
    riz wrote: »

I'm not entirely sure. If I had to guess, two of us collided with a pillar? Says we got one shot by hodir's fury or whatever before we even got a chance to hit the ground.

I don't remember seeing a pillar near us, and even if there was, how the hell are we supposed to keep that from killing people in mid air?

However....
    Junpei wrote: »

That I didn't know. Might help in certain situations.

By default it's numpad 5 unless you've changed the keybinding but there is a setting for it in the keybindings menu, basically we have 3 choppers and 3 people launched, someone yells on vent about 5-10s before the overload happens, as soon as it does the people on Flame Lev jump off, they have raid markers and their assigned chopper should be attempting to hone in on them so that they can go hover under their demo and loads/launch can be near instant once he is active again.

Junpei on
    edited June 2009
    So.

I would like to thank you all for your suggestions for XT last night. For those interested, here's an update.

We didn't get the group I was hoping for (or so I thought) and wound up with 3 feral druids, 1 Arms warrior, Prot Pally tank, disc priest, resto druid (me), lock and hunter.

We tanked XT along the east wall to start - too close, perhaps, as melee didn't have room to run for void zone dropoffs. However, we easily got the heart down without bloodlust. Still, a wipe. So we moved him to the foot of the stairs. We had one wipe where the ferals couldn't get behind him during the heart phase quick enough for shred, so we ended the attempt. We got him on the next attempt pretty easily although it did require each of the ferals to help out with a barkskin / tranq rotation at times to make sure we were good to go. But he went down, that's for sure - we 1 tanked him too.

Went on to mash Kologan's Armless mode for the achievement, then actually nailed Hodir hard mode (!) in 3 attempts afterwards.

Now I need your guidance and tips on I Choose You, Steelbreaker! 10 man :)

Lunatic Clam on
    edited June 2009
    Re: Steelbreaker Hard Mode, a bit more color.

We'll have a Paladin Tank and either a Feral or Warrior OT. Disc Priest and Resto Druid for heals. Elemental Shaman, Hunter, Enhance Shaman, Lock, Mage with whoever isn't OTing being our final dps.

Question - do we need more tanks? do I need to have the Ele shaman flip to Resto (he has a killer set and is a great healer) or can we two heal this?

Lunatic Clam on
  • MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You need to be able to kill him before the second tank dies. It's a simple matter of whether or not you have the DPS.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
This discussion has been closed.