As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game Onduit] The Conduit - Get on to it!

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    9 missions. I remember Perfect Dark and its 20-odd. God I miss that game.

Still buying this. If it sucks I'll flip it on Goozex like I did Deadly Creatures.

Also, only 12-player online? Why??

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I think the basic conclusion is that the game works functionally, but doesn't do much creatively. Customizable UI just shouldn't seem like a big deal, but it really is for consoles since you can dick with the game's innards like a PC. Let's hope this sticks to at least their future games.

While I hope this does well, it's coming out the same week as Little King's Story, which is rough competition.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I saw a commercial for this game the other day on TV and I thought I woke up from a nap... The graphics look just like an N64 game. I really hope the controls are amazing for this game because the graphics just looked... bad...

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
    edited June 2009
    fmz65 wrote: »
    I saw a commercial for this game the other day on TV and I thought I woke up from a nap... The graphics look just like an N64 game. I really hope the controls are amazing for this game because the graphics just looked... bad...
    n64-goldeneye.png
    the-conduit-20080417033652915-000.jpg

You either never owned a Nintendo 64, have a HORRIBLE TV or are lying through your teeth.

EDIT: From a style standpoint, the art is pretty bland. I'll agree with that, as most people have.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    To be fair, while the graphics look technically nice, the art design is kind of boring looking.

But wait, it's out tomorrow? I was thinking it was July 23. Cool. I won't be picking it up tomorrow, but I will be getting it sometime this week. Nothin' wrong with a solid shooter, generic or no.

Psh, you edited while I was typing.

Mars on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One of my best friends is called Michael Forde. Obviously this is hilarious and I will be buying it as soon as possible.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    edited June 2009
    The art direction is definitely bland sci-fi blah, but not so such a degree that you can't distinguish its models from the cereal box body generation of consoles.

On a positive note, the Grinder looks to be slightly better in that department. Nothing amazing, but I find it more interesting to look at than Conduit.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Really, James Bond is your choice of example :P I'm pretty sure James Bond wasn't the "pinnacle" of graphics for an N64. Plus, if you look at some of those screens the art just looked bad.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I think the basic conclusion is that the game works functionally, but doesn't do much creatively. Customizable UI just shouldn't seem like a big deal, but it really is for consoles since you can dick with the game's innards like a PC. Let's hope this sticks to at least their future games.

While I hope this does well, it's coming out the same week as Little King's Story, which is rough competition.

LKS is something that deserves the kind of attention the Conduit has been getting much, much more.

Anyway, Europe doesn't get this til July. That'll give me time to wait for the more reliable reviewers.

Xagarath on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I agree about LKS, that should be getting this amount of hype. I don't know why it hasn't.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I agree about LKS, that should be getting this amount of hype. I don't know why it hasn't.

Because it contains childlike charm and surrealism instead of lots of guns?
    Also much harder to pigeonhole, since it doesn't really fit any genre.
    Kind of irritating, though, since it's exactly the kind of original, substantial, challenging singleplayer game people have been complaining about the console being short on.

Xagarath on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you love it so much why don't you make a thread about it :D

But seriously, I'm gonna get The Conduit.

I am excited for a straight up shooter, probably because I am the kind of person this is marketed to, a "Wii only" owner. It's not that I don't love my friends 360, cause I do, I just don't have the scratch to drop on another system. I have a house, a wife, two dogs, and a Wii.

If I had any other system I would just go buy Halo 3 or Resistance. But I don't. So here I am.
    Do I think it will sell crazy because of people like me? Probably not.
    Game of the year? No, not even in the running.
    Will it be fun? I'll let you know...I hope so.

brokecracker on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What's the date on LKS, then? I thought it was next week?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    What's the date on LKS, then? I thought it was next week?

21 July for the US, apparently.
    We already have it.
    Japan have to wait til September for some reason.

Xagarath on
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

Kind of irritating, though, since it's exactly the kind of original, substantial, challenging singleplayer game people have been complaining about the console being short on.

God, you just reminded me why I hate this gaming generation. To be hardcore means guns, violence, and nudity. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »

God, you just reminded me why I hate this gaming generation. To be hardcore means guns, violence, and nudity. :(

Hardcore! Fuck Yeah!

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Apparently they added an ultra hard mode for Japan and the US for LKS.

Which don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about. It's just not as high as Wii Sports Resort when it comes to July Wii gaming.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This supports the M+ addon right?

Edit: Nevermind, they pulled support because it didn't add to any IR tracking in their case.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Green DestinyGreen Destiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Any first-hand impressions from anyone who has went out and bought it?

Green Destiny on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you want to read a pretty terrible review, look no further.

http://www.gamepro.com/article/reviews/210916/the-conduit/

Most of the time I don't care if a game is good or bad, or what score it gets, I just get a kick out of the review itself.
    what does it say about the Wii that The Conduit doesn't blow Goldeneye's graphics out of the water the way Halo 3 outshines the original Halo or Killzone 2 completely destroys the original Killzone?
    I mean, seriously?

This is the best part:
    The funny thing is, after wrestling with the terrible controls for the five hours
    Turning your viewpoint is smooth and there are menu options that let you customize pretty much every aspect of the interface that you could want. I played with the default and was absolutely happy with it.

And after that he spends a paragraph bashing motion controls for throwing a grenade. You know, the controls that he can map to any button on the controller. Yeah.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    edited June 2009

It doesn't seem like he went in with a positive frame of mind; reading it, it's as if he wanted to condemn it from the beginning.

Green Destiny on
    edited June 2009

It doesn't seem like he went in with a positive frame of mind; reading it, it's as if he wanted to condemn it from the beginning.

It's to be expected, just as IGN went in wanting to enjoy it. I'm not terribly surprised, but a bit entertained.

I ordered it on Amazon (it's up to 28th most popular game, having spent 5 days in the top 100).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know, I liked this part:
    But the Wii's lack of power doesn't explain the boring story that had me tapping the A button as fast as I could during cutscenes. There's some mumbo jumbo about some shadow organization that's plotting to take over the world using aliens or something; I don't know, it didn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe if he hadn't been tapping the A button as fast as he could, he'd have understood the story. Maybe.

Also, he didn't play the multiplayer at all. Absolutely ridiculous.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
    edited June 2009
    Ah, integrity at its finest.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That review was so terrible it made me want to buy the game more.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Powell014Powell014 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So is this out today or does it ship today?

Powell014 on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    It's a fool's hope that the game won't just crash and burn, but it does look like the multi is at least as fun as any other shooter.

I kind of agree, though I think you might mean "at least as fun as any other shooter from 2004." The bunny-hopping in the second video brings back some fond memories of Quake 2, though.

I'm trying desperately not to crap on the game whenever I see it, but since I'm not really a big FPS fan, I really can't see what separates this from any other 5-year-old entry in the genre aside from controls.

Gameplay itself looks incredibly slow.

Sheep on
  • ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A pretty good review from Gamesradar:

Games Radar review
    8/10

You'll love

* A Wii game with challenging difficulty
    * Incredible roster of online options
    * Customizable everything

You'll hate

* The bland environments online and off
    * Talented voice cast squandered on ho-hum plot

Plus a humorous line to follow up the gamepro review:
    Gamepro wrote:
    What I couldn't stand, however, was the use of motion controls; for whatever reason, High Voltage mapped two critical functions -- grenade throwing and melee-to motion controls but even my grandmother knows that that was a dumb move.
    GamesRadar wrote:
    Stuff that sucks about reviewing games #475: You jot down a poignantly hilarious aside, heroically skewering a game for a specific fault… then you check the menu and realize that it’s optional/adjustable and you look like an asshole for not being thorough. The book hasn’t been written on how Wii FPSs should work, so The Conduit leaves you free tailor the interface to your specific liking.

Hee hee. :D

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    **Crossposted**

Yeah, so anyway, anecdotal evidence.

Just got done playing online, a couple of thoughts:

* The controls are customizable as fuck. I went in near blind multiplayer and my controls were wavering about. when I left I thought, "can I fix this specific problem?" and there was a slider for every one of my gripes. Custom controls are great. There's even a 180 command, which I was desperate for in CoD: WaW. I do wish there was a run button though, as even when I slid it to full I wasn't completely satisfied with the run speed. Make no mistake though, THIS is the standard for Wii FPS right now.

The graphics are clean, but mundane at times. What's there looks great, but there are a lot of flat walls about. Keep in mind though, only played 2 levels so far. Single player looked much more busy, in a good way.

The gunplay is fun. I'm not a big fan of bunny hopping in FPS, but the guns are so responsive to your movements it's not that big of an issue. Only played with a few guns so far, but they all seem to have the appropriate weight. Haven't tried many of the Drudge guns yet.

The second I played multi there where 12 people to play with, no lag (though if this game gets popular that will no doubt change) and while it's gotten really hectic (grenades flying everywhere for one) I haven't seen any slowdown yet.

Oh also, a note about the single play. On the harder difficulty settings, enemies throw grenades and shoot barrels when you're close. It's a small thing, but I love it and conversely hate it when other FPS' don't do it.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
    edited June 2009
    Xenogears of Bore on
    edited June 2009
    Not seeing any video.

UncleSporky on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Powell014 wrote: »
    So is this out today or does it ship today?
    Ships today, comes out tomorrow.

I fully intend to buy this. However, my only money for games in the near future will be from trades for credit, and I'll probably just wait until Little King's Story comes out to use that.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
    edited June 2009
    Not seeing any video.

Fixed?

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited June 2009
    Not seeing any video.

Fixed?

The guy playing in those videos suck really badly though, here is a better player:

So far carbonizer seems somewhat overpowered if the other guy's stuck in an alley although not broken - yet.
    SPAS seems really good for close combat (as all shotgun should be).
    The regular MP4 looks middling in versatility so far - so so in close and medium range.
    War pistol (the alien pistol) seems pretty bad.

The camera lock-on isn't really a lock on since it's a much looser lock on than MP3's camera lock and you still have to aim well to get any shots in. Some players might forget the lock on system altogether.

Default control looks pretty good and should be a good ease-in for new FPS players, although it does look somewhat slow for intense fire fights so veteran players might want to increase turning sensitivity and decrease the bounding box.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
    edited June 2009
    I was in Walmart picking up a replacement DVD player, and on a whim decided to buy it.

Only, there weren't any there.

Green Destiny on
  • Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I dont have any wifi at my place. I feel like I'd be missing out on a substantial amount of the game if I just played the single player, so the game losses purchase points. I get this feeling with all of the recent shooters... sigh.

Just the stuff being said in this thread is really positive so I'll definitely keep it in the back of my mind.

I got Another Code R arriving next week so after I've beaten that one, maybe. Also I hope someone makes a thread for that when it comes around.

Lenore03 on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone know if you can hear people with Wiispeak if you don't have it yourself?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited June 2009
    Yep, you can.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yep, you can.

Do I want to?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited June 2009
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    I dont have any wifi at my place. I feel like I'd be missing out on a substantial amount of the game if I just played the single player, so the game losses purchase points. I get this feeling with all of the recent shooters... sigh.

Just the stuff being said in this thread is really positive so I'll definitely keep it in the back of my mind.

I got Another Code R arriving next week so after I've beaten that one, maybe. Also I hope someone makes a thread for that when it comes around.

You can buy a cheap usb port to connect the Wii on a wired connection.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ