As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HD DVD/Blu Ray and Dell 2405FPW

Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm trying to figure out if my current setup (which is basically all brand new, except the monitor) can play HD DVD movies. I downloaded a utility from the Cyberlink DVD website and they say everything is good to go except my digital out. Here is what I have:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6700 @ 2.66GHz
System Memory: 3007 MB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Monitor: Dell 24" widescreen
Video Connector Type: Digital (without HDCP)

If I understand this right does this mean I can't play HD DVD movies AT ALL only because of my monitor? I've been told that it is possible to do so with a VGA connection, but that would totally defeat the purpose. Help me G&T. Is this true, or is my current monitor good enough?

Mace1370 on

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It would probably help to have.. you know... an HD-DVD drive.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Why would I buy an HD DVD drive if it doesn't work with my monitor? That's the whole point of this inquiry. I want to get the xbox 360 addon, but I want to make sure I will actually be able to watch movies with it.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If your monitor and connection are not HDCP compliant then don't bother.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If the disc has the downsize thingy, it'll downsize it to I believe 540p. Because the monitor doesn't have HDCP, on any movie that does that, it'll get downsized. The movies that don't use it though, will be able to output full 1080p. I'm not sure which movies use the downsize thing, though. Using a VGA cable won't change anything, movies with the downsizer will still downsize.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Well thanks for the explanation, guys. HDCP sounds incredibly retarded.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It is.

Real damn shame, too. Last thing HD needs is more barriers to adoption.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Raere wrote: »
    If the disc has the downsize thingy, it'll downsize it to I believe 540p. Because the monitor doesn't have HDCP, on any movie that does that, it'll get downsized. The movies that don't use it though, will be able to output full 1080p. I'm not sure which movies use the downsize thing, though. Using a VGA cable won't change anything, movies with the downsizer will still downsize.
    If that is true than they have killed their own format. If ubergeeks are thwarted by HDCP then what hope does the mainstream have?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was under the impression that no movies had been made yet with HDCP and it wouldn't be coming in for a few years.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think there are any movies that use HDCP yet. In fact, I don't think the Xbox 360 (which is one of the more/most popular HD-DVD players) even supports HDCP (no HDMI output).

blanknogo on
  • Options
    MooTMooT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    That's right, the 360 doesn't do HDCP. My monitor sure as shit is not HDCP compliant, yet I play HD-DVD's on it everynow and then(using the 360 add on of course).

MooT on
    Doomfield.png
    Wii #: 1141 2210 4181 0985
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AnyDVD lets you watch HD-DVDs on non-HDCP compliant monitors. It's $40 for a lifetime license but I think it's worth it. It lets you bypass extra copy-protection on normal DVDs and makes your computer a region-free player, as well as letting you skip FBI warnings and ads to get right to the DVD menu.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.