As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limp [DOODLE]

• LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh look, it is a goofy

goofy.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

to me, it's really amazing how much i've gotten better at heads after only a day of doing loomis studies.

I'm revisiting the basics myself a bit.

I stumbled on a new thingy on posemaniacs where you can view a simplified model of a few CT scans, so I did a few of the head one.
    headstudies.jpg

Scosglen on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    looking good, orik, definitely a huge improvement with the face. watch your ears, though - ears go from the top of the eyelid, typically, to the bottom of the nose. your dude there has ears up to eyebrows!

would love to see that drawing fleshed out - going to add some contrast? darkest darkest, lightest lights?

mully on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    but they do go to eyebrows, don't they? scos's do, for example

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    mully wrote: »
    looking good, orik, definitely a huge improvement with the face. watch your ears, though - ears go from the top of the eyelid, typically, to the bottom of the nose. your dude there has ears up to eyebrows!

Um, the tops of ears generally are level with the brow ridge. The ears there are appearing high because he put them above the brow ridge, probably due to a perspective issue.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    scos wrote:
    I stumbled on a new thingy on posemaniacs where you can view a simplified model of a few CT scans

Oh wow, that's going to be increbily handy when I'm struggling with head angles, which is pretty well much all the time.

Mustang on
    edited June 2009
    Bacon's got it right.

Knocked out a few more.
    torsoctstudy.jpg

Scosglen on
  • exitexit Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would have maybe tried a shorter haircut to accentuate the long neck and make it look more deliberate, rather than 'i had a stroke when I was doing the neck'... Also the highlights along the throat sort of make it look like she has weird neck flaps.

oh hey i didn't even think of doing that. might try it when i fiddle more

does it really look stroke bad D:

exit on
    edited June 2009
    There's a line between stylistic exaggeration and grotesque giraffe-human lovechild that you have crossed, one might say.

Scosglen on
    edited June 2009
    wow. all right, thanks.

exit on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This piece of shit

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2584/jackblacku.th.jpg

to this mildly piece of shit.

jackblack001.jpg w893.png
    Still knocking the rust off my knuckles. Stylized the whole portrait on the first one. Second one wasn't too bad, but his head is not that narrow so i kinda cheated in cropping some.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    exit wrote: »
    I would have maybe tried a shorter haircut to accentuate the long neck and make it look more deliberate, rather than 'i had a stroke when I was doing the neck'... Also the highlights along the throat sort of make it look like she has weird neck flaps.

I was going to say you didn't go about shading it the right way. You could totally make a neck that long and have it look "natural" if you drew it right. Meaning, you basically took the normal shading of a neck and just stretched it as if that would do, but anatomically, like DR said, she has neck flaps now. Make the neck more of a cylinder, and you're closer to good.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited June 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    exit wrote: »

I was going to say you didn't go about shading it the right way. You could totally make a neck that long and have it look "natural" if you drew it right. Meaning, you basically took the normal shading of a neck and just stretched it as if that would do, but anatomically, like DR said, she has neck flaps now. Make the neck more of a cylinder, and you're closer to good.

exit on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    15pgvmq.jpg

Asamof the Horrible on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    Oh look, it is a goofy

goofy.jpg

Stop seducing me, Goofy!

NibCrom on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    mully wrote: »

Um, the tops of ears generally are level with the brow ridge. The ears there are appearing high because he put them above the brow ridge, probably due to a perspective issue.

crap, yeah, you're right. i knew they were looking a bit too high and then i psychobabbled.

mully on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When did we start letting doodle threads get so long?

RubberAC on
  • PetalmunkPetalmunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A month or so ago... photo, chat, and doodle threads have now been upped to 100 page limit.

This would be a doodle i guess as far as paintings are concerned.... a WIP about 25% off the ground
    Banana1.JPG

Petalmunk on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This is a sketch for a character based on my friend. I was playing Lots of metal Slug at the time, and he was being a grouch..hence...

THE CRABBY WILLIAMS!!! (wip)
    crabbycopy.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Guess who's got two thumbs and just got his hands on a tablet?

This guy (even though I'm only borrowing the tablet from my dad at the moment)!

tabdoodle.jpg

Don't ask me what it is...I'm just kind of trying to warm up to the mechanics of the thing.

crawdaddio on
    edited June 2009
    It's butter, delicious, satisying butter.

Also Zerg, your steam powered crustation has won my heart.

Mustang on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, submitted all my oil paintings this morning for assessment. From 10am till 5pm they will be marking all the students work. I have to kill 7 hours in the city today. ARGHH!!! Damn this city is so bloody boring.

syqyxy.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited June 2009
    Museum and art gallery.......also, grab a sketchbook and do some life studies of some of the busts and statues inside the art gallery, there's some good light in there. Also if you have a spare $18, the zoo is always a good way to kill some time, also, sketchbook at the zoo for animal studies. You might want to buy a little fold up stool, so your not on your feet the whole, especially if your drawing.
    Shit, I wish I HAD the free time to do all that, that would be a pretty fucking rad day out if you ask me.

Mustang on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    AC Challenge WIP, comination of Zeus, Odin, Thor and Hermes. The hermes part will be in teh legs when I finish them. Tear me apart, doodle thread :)

originalgod.jpg

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited June 2009
    Just an anotomy nitpick, but the pectorals hook up to the underside of the shoulder muscles, not on top.

Mustang on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm going to suggest that you just redo the torso. The muscles really don't make any sense. Use a few good reference pictures (including a medical drawing, maybe? More to-the-point, and all).

NightDragon on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    rather than technical aspects, which have already been covered any way, I go dis to say, monarch:

that still looks like just Thor, or a little Hermes and a whole lot of Thor. Most people haven't made the association between the Aegis and Zeus, so the shield probably won't tell much.

Tam on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    give that dude a mighty beard

Projeck on
    edited June 2009
    I'll give you a mighty fat lip!
    sup projeck

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    Mustang wrote: »
    Just an anotomy nitpick, but the pectorals hook up to the underside of the shoulder muscles, not on top.

Good call, I'll have to fix that tonight.

Nightdragon: I'm kinda disappointed in your crit because I used a picture of a greek sculpture for a ref on the torso. :( Not saying I don't think you are right, I'll try and find the pic again and double check my drawing. I was trying to accentuate the muscly areas to make him look HUGE, and I may have screwed it up by doing so. Thanks for the crit. :)

And I guess if the general populace wants a man-beard I'll add it too.:winky:

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Looks like he's getting ready to serve in tennis.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Monarch: Nightdragon's right in a way. For normal anatomy, the abdominal muscles wouldn't reach up that close to the pectoral muscles. There are other, smaller muscles there (that I don't bother to know the name of off the top of my head), and they're generally build around the shape of the rib cage. I.e. Michalangelo's David.

However, the dude you drew looks pretty freaking buff. And for some reason the way you portrayed it seems more accurate when you're grossly muscular.

I still might move them down a little, and extend the torso a bit. He seems to be very compact. Extremely short limbed. And man, for some reason his arms and hands remind me of a baby's.

Only thing besides that would be for you to think about composition a little more. I'd either crop him on all sides or move him over in the piece so that his weapon's showing. Looks kind of unbalanced as it is.

Besides the touches on anatomy and the composition, though, looks pretty sick. I'm also a fan of adding a beard to him, and it'd be cool to see it colored.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited June 2009
    Radar6590 wrote: »
    The Monarch: Nightdragon's right in a way. For normal anatomy, the abdominal muscles wouldn't reach up that close to the pectoral muscles. There are other, smaller muscles there (that I don't bother to know the name of off the top of my head), and they're generally build around the shape of the rib cage. I.e. Michalangelo's David.

However, the dude you drew looks pretty freaking buff. And for some reason the way you portrayed it seems more accurate when you're grossly muscular.

I still might move them down a little, and extend the torso a bit. He seems to be very compact. Extremely short limbed. And man, for some reason his arms and hands remind me of a baby's.

Only thing besides that would be for you to think about composition a little more. I'd either crop him on all sides or move him over in the piece so that his weapon's showing. Looks kind of unbalanced as it is.

Besides the touches on anatomy and the composition, though, looks pretty sick. I'm also a fan of adding a beard to him, and it'd be cool to see it colored.

Oh yeah, Nightdragon is right (as always, ND :mrgreen:). I am definitely seeing the compactness isn't working now too. He looks like a ridiculously buff midget. I'll extend the torso and see if I can crop the drawing differently. I basically went right from 8.5x11 paper into photoshop, so I i plan on cropping it at the end. He is eventually going to be summoning lightning with his "serving" hand, giving it the zeus vibe I mentioned. And a beard of course.

edit: Oh, and I'll try to fix the hands. I am going to add a combination of marble-looking skin and normal skin to it in color so some of it will be left out until the color stage is done.

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • Kim kongKim kong Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    girlwithcowskull.jpg

Kinda getting fed up with this one. I've been fiddling with the colours for a long time and they still don't seem/feel right.

Bleh, need more practice...

Kim kong on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    As a whole piece I like it. The only things I'm not crazy about are the color saturation and the orange thing - it looks too big and solid, like it's made of foam rubber except at the bottom. It makes me think of a flotation device. But the piece has a certain character I like. Makes me think of the Breath of Fire series, for some reason.

Delzhand on
    edited June 2009
    what is it with anime swordspeople and bandages

Tam on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Not bandages, athletic wraps. Support for the joints! The bigger question is "what is with anime swordspeople and surviving near-complete bisections on a regular basis?" I'm looking at you, Bleach.

Delzhand on
    edited June 2009
    It's because they're so hard core, delz

Tam on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I used a picture of a greek sculpture for a ref on the torso. :( Not saying I don't think you are right, I'll try and find the pic again and double check my drawing.

Could you post the ref? Now I'm really curious.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited June 2009
    Liefeld's time traveling adventures

Tam on
This discussion has been closed.