As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Last Night in New Phalland - Village Victory

1252627282931»

• B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The badguys killed a lot of each other

and the epic badguy reveals weren't a good idea

Didn't help that you gave the voodoo priest a useless ability.

Which apparently one of the multitude of village specials would instantly know you're evil should you use your useless ability on them.
    Nocturne wrote: »
    I really like the way the roles were done Eddy!

Backup specials, with the ability to mason up instantly via role name, wouldn't be my idea of well done roles.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you had a pretty small chance of being revealed

the ability also forced people to PM others at random.

Casual Eddy on
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    The badguys killed a lot of each other

and the epic badguy reveals weren't a good idea

Didn't help that you gave the voodoo priest a useless ability.

Which apparently one of the multitude of village specials would instantly know you're evil should you use your useless ability on them.

To be fair, considering everyone of the mafia factions had their kill + an ability, not all of them could be super powerful.

Nocturne on
  • MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, the Mayor's power was totally worthless because we hugely bandwagoned pretty much every day. I kept waiting for there to be a tie so I could secretly break it. No luck, though.

Matrijs on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who killed me?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    And by "badguys killed a lot of each other" Eddy obviously means "the spies startled the witches!" :lol:

Alright, time for some thoughts:

In general, the biggest problem of this phalla was the complete lack of information given to the village - I mean, by the time they caught on the alignment not being revealed, one group had already been wiped out and they didn't even know it. Add this to unclear roles alignment and you basically have a recipe for disaster right there. I suspect a good deal of the inactivity was caused simply by people not knowing what was going on at the time.

Another point, randomising the mafia kill if they update their orders is a simply stupid mechanic, no more, no less. We're updating the kill for a reason, leave the RNG out of this mess.

Also, fuck vote immunity, even if it was on our side.

Dac Vin on
    edited June 2009
    Dac Vin said what I said only better.

Edit: WRT the village having no information and me being inactive because I had no idea what was going on from the beginning until the end.

Nocturne on
    edited June 2009
    There were points when your team mates forgot to send in kill orders altogether, of course.

Casual Eddy on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who killed me?

If it was a slit throat, that was me.

godmode on
    edited June 2009
    Really? You all need colors on the names to play the game?

how do you people not know what's going on? it's a phalla. what did you think was happening?

Casual Eddy on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    With regard to balance, I stopped following when I died, but looking at the roles, it seems like the village had a massive amount of specials, and there were 2 mafia groups with not that many members, so I'm not sure how much of a chance the mafia had.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2009
    To be fair, considering everyone of the mafia factions had their kill + an ability, not all of them could be super powerful.

Except the mafia factions were extremely weak compared to the specials of the village. Having to face 32 players with only one kill, combined with another faction with possibility of crossfire, against easy networking and guarding, and it's a farce.

My ability was not only useless, it was harmful to myself.

edited June 2009
    you got unlucky B:L. It happens.

The guards worked on only half of the attacks, and the seers were 50% naive. The slaves were all knocked out early on.

I was trying some new stuff here. If you really think it didn't work out, then i'm sorry. I was told 25% bad guy rate was pretty normal.

Casual Eddy on
    edited June 2009

how do you people not know what's going on? it's a phalla. what did you think was happening?

It really helps to know whether somebody was good or evil after they died. It was not inconceivable that the thief was a village special.

Yeah, the role names were incredibly vague. Paganism, Voodoo, Druidism...

Nocturne on
    edited June 2009

It really helps to know whether somebody was good or evil after they died. It was not inconceivable that the thief was a village special.

that was sort of the point

i didn't want it to be cut and dry. you had as much information as the narrator had.

Casual Eddy on
    edited June 2009

The guards worked on only half of the attacks, and the seers were 50% naive. The slaves were all knocked out early on.

I was trying some new stuff here. If you really think it didn't work out, then i'm sorry. I was told 25% bad guy rate was pretty normal.

Only if they're masoned. One group of eight is way stronger than two groups of four.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2009

No offense, but the mechanics were shit. Luck had nothing to do with it. I liked how nifty they were but I prefer balance over novelty.

Still, I had fun, so thanks for hosting. 8-)

edited June 2009

that was sort of the point

i didn't want it to be cut and dry. you had as much information as the narrator had.

And that's why we are saying we were clueless, and it caused much inactivity and disinterest when we knew pretty much nothing.

In a phalla you are supposed to get something from the narration to run with. With this, it was like "Oh, more crazy stuff happened to more people, and I still don't know if they are good or bad" every day.

Nocturne on
    edited June 2009
    I didn't die of a slit throat... who was the poisoner?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2009
    The spies poisoned.

Casual Eddy on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Spork must have offed you because you were in the batch of PMs that godmode sent out to a bunch of us, which included him. Which was one of the things that made us to start to really suspect spork.

Funny enough I didn't know there were two badguy groups until Dac Vin came out and said as much. I had sort of a blind spot going for the spy group, even though I told godmode that he should kill Cinders on day 2 or so.

B:L's power sort of sucked. And the passing on of full powers to an assistant was probably a bit much, I would have had the assistants only be able to go every other day.

Savant on
    edited June 2009
    Savant wrote: »

Spork must have offed you because you were in the batch of PMs that godmode sent out to a bunch of us, which included him. Which was one of the things that made us to start to really suspect spork.

Funny enough I didn't know there were two badguy groups until Dac Vin came out and said as much. I had sort of a blind spot going for the spy group, even though I told godmode that he should kill Cinders on day 2 or so.

B:L's power sort of sucked. And the passing on of full powers to an assistant was probably a bit much, I would have had the assistants only be able to go every other day.

I was so careful not to reveal to anybody, and I got killed just for being part of a leaky-shit unconfirmed network? :(:(:(:(

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well to be honest, I should have gotten rocketSauce to reveal Cinders instead of me. He had the vote immunity, he would have been safe with it.

Bah, learning I guess :whistle:

Dac Vin on
    edited June 2009
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Well to be honest, I should have gotten rocketSauce to reveal Cinders instead of me. He had the vote immunity, he would have been safe with it.

Safer for a day, yeah. But it wouldn't really matter in the end with a massively confirmed network against a few unconfirms.

edited June 2009

Safer for a day, yeah. But it wouldn't really matter in the end with a massively confirmed network against a few unconfirms.

qq moar

Nocturne on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Who killed me by unnatural means? The only night without narration, too. And my first game. :(

edit: Your drug smoking hath wrought terrible things Eddy

TL DR on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I was never part of a confirmed network, btw. Godmode just basically told me that he was the vig and that I shouldn't vote for him after I voted for him, and that he was working with DUE. So we just started collaborating and I was telling him who I thought was suspicious and so forth.

We apparently had a pretty big problem because godmode sent out info to spork in addition to the group with a mixture of unconfirmed specials and non-specials, which is what spork outed to the thread.

There might have been a network going on but I wasn't fully part of it.

Savant on
    edited June 2009

qq moar

Very mature.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So the 3 slaves could seer someone as a group on even nights. Jeebus was supposed to PM Eddy our choice, but was voted off and a badly worded PM on my behalf resulted in our seer choice being delayed a day, so I got confirmation of B:L being a baddie the night we voted him dead :|

TL DR on
    edited June 2009
    Who killed me by unnatural means? The only night without narration, too. And my first game. :(

Unnatural means was us actually. We had you pegged because you mentioned witches before there actually was any words of witches going around, meaning you were a special of some sort.

Dac Vin on
    edited June 2009

Unnatural means was us actually. We had you pegged because you mentioned witches before there actually was any words of witches going around, meaning you were a special of some sort.

God damn it. I just said 'Jeebus is a witch!' since it was the first day and I had no clue. Jeebus was one of the other slaves.

I figured that someone thought I knew too much, but assumed it was due to my poignant analysis, not an offhand comment on days 0 and 1 :lol:

TL DR on
    edited June 2009
    Heh, sometimes it pays to be attentive and not slip out details.

Also, small phalla protip: put yourself as invisible, or else people will find out if you are a special simply by watching what you're doing right now. We got Minor Second that way too.

Dac Vin on
  • MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    poignant analysis

This seems like an interesting kind of analysis.

Matrijs on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Corbius wrote: »
    First time I get a special role and I fuck it up by trusting too much.

Good job to whoever the squire was btw.

:D

Man, last night was a ridiculous amount of WhatTheHellIsGoingOn. Probably something to do with the fact that we thought we had 3 bad guys left to kill and not 1...

Campy on
    edited June 2009

qq moar

Very mature.

Usually that kind of over-the-top immaturity clearly comes across as a joke.

I guess not for you.

Nocturne on
  • oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm shocked that the village managed to turn this one around...

oldmanken on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm shocked that after B:L was outed on night 1 you guys didn't kill him....

also, I agree that the dual faction mafia with normal numbers thing is not balanced right.

the mafia should have either gotten more kills or more likely more people.

the crossfire chance of two mafia groups has to be taken into account and added to the normal 15-20%. so with 2 4 person mafia in a 40 man game with 1 kill per, there is a 20% chance that there will be crossfire of some kind on any given day meaning that by day 10, there is a 90% chance of having at least one instance of crossfire. there should have been 1-2 more people on each mafia team to offset this.

I am also sad that I didn't get to play.

Dunadan019 on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »
    I'm shocked that the village managed to turn this one around...
    Was the village ever behind?

One thing I have to complain about is B:L's ability. Giving someone post restrictions is fine, but giving someone a post restriction that basically forces them to be inactive in the thread (save for a single vote) is not fine. It just felt like being dead almost, which isn't something a player should ever feel if they are still in the game.

Beyond that though, I did like our abilities. We had so much potential for setting up a fake network! A seer, a death thrall.... it would've been great! And then we had to go and die :(. So much wasted potential....

Thanks for the game Eddy!

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile