As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jazzman's 3D animation thread: UPDATE: I got a job animating games!

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jazzman wrote:
    I can only do that by working harder than other people who want the same thing.

Attitude = :^:

None of you other fuckers listen to Jazzman, you all need to be working a lot less harder than me, thus ensuring that I'm the best.

Mustang on
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's looking really great Jazz, I'm really impressed with your progress thus far.

On the judo throw vid, watch as the unfortunate flippee lands. Thud... then.. he magically slides a few inches into his resting position. It happens very fast, but once you see it, you can never UNSEE IT!

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hello, up and awake now.

Man you're right I see it every time now hehe. I'll fix that too. Not sure if I should make more of a 'recoil' sort of impact when he hits the ground. Like, it's a realistic style animation so he shouldn't bounce like they do in Street Fighter when they hit the ground, but hmmm... I'll just have to try it and see how it looks. Anyway, thanks for the crits I'll work on them now and post later.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    SO I've been working on a version with different footwork and changed him falling and hitting the floor a bit, anyway, take a look.

Is this footwork better? SHOULD he be forced to plant his foot down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKzhsiVo3bs

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DuckyDucky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm, it looks better, but i think he would more stumble forward. Also, the guy who just got flipped doesn't hit the ground realistsically. I can't quite put my finger on it, but i think he ujst doesn't hit the ground forcefully enough, also, i don't think he would land in that position.

Ducky on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    who need signiyures anyways o_O
    edited June 2009
    Hi, well!

Spent about 5 hours since yesterday messing with the animation, AAAAAAAAAAAnd at the end of those many hours? I had a load of crap that I'd stared at too long, and I hated the animation. I looked back in the thread and didn't think it looked any better at all!

SO I completely scrapped it, went back to a previous backup and decided to have some FUN instead,

so here is what I made, take it as you will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsBsnOyK71o

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like the Punch then throw. Makes It look more realistic since it's hard to throw someone without punching the air out first.

You rule man, Martial arts (In my opinion) is good to animate since it's fluid motions and good flexibility.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
    edited June 2009
    Ended up fiddling with this for last few days, will probably only use second half in reel (once it's in game, different angle too probably)

but anyway, Doing something WAAAAAAY more interesting now, which I think you guys will find cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhkayBiNBtM

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hm...
    In this recent one can you make it longer? Like have the guy do a victory dance and while that is going on you see the other dude getting pissed off grasping the side of the table in gripping them as hard as he can. doing so his harms start to intensify then he throws the chair over. There really is no build to that fight since it looks as though it just happened.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    It doesnt look like they're struggling in the arm wrestling

It's like they're having a really weak hand shake at the wrong angle

Fabricate on
    edited June 2009
    You're right about the arm wrestling being weak, I'm a little torn what to do with it because:

The reality is that I'm going to film this is for a reel and out of 2-3 mins of footage I don't know if I wanna waste ten seconds on arm wrestling rather than just skipping half way through and showing the punches and throw. If I'm going to use the wrestle bit I'm absolutely going to have to make significant changes to it though.

I don't generally want to make it longer Shiekahn b/c of the reasons outlined above. I think If I was making a little short film of something that I absolutely do need to build the story up more, but at this point, for this purpose, I think I'm going to cut half of what I have anyway.

I think I'll re-evalute it in a day or two so I have fresh eyes. If I decide I'm going to want the full 'story' in the reel, I'll pump up the arm wrestle big time and flesh out the 'getting angry' phase by a good 10 seconds.

EDIT: Oh and the reason I'm torn is because I'd like to make all my animations as good as they can be, I just don't want to use my time on a part that won't be in the reel if I cut out the first 7 seconds or whatever

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's hard to estimate the weight of the table from the movement it does. It seems to be made of foam and it flies really far, barely sliding, just flying.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thejazzman wrote: »

The movement on this is amazing up until the point he grabs him and does the throw/flip thing, The lifting and everything with it feels completely stiff and way to light

edit: both of them feel wrong in that part

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited June 2009
    Hmmmm, you're dead right about the table. Needs to feel heavier on the lift and not fly about like it does.

As for Loomdun's comments, I will definitely be needing to improve on the lift/throw then, b/c I know for sure that I am putting that part in my reel. I'm not sure if I should make it more heavy/sloppy of a throw, or more controlled and professional. I've found a good reference to use where it's a very professional throw, the guy doesn't stumble forwards or anything, so I might try and change it based on that.

Good feedback guys

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Yo yo yo,

here's waht I was doing the last day and a bit. Decompiled him then had to skin him from scratch, so I did a walk cycle to test out his deformations, I'm quite pleased with them, doesn't deform badly in any areas as far as I can tell.

He'll be the 'non-standard biped' part of my reel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5rwuZyTKyo

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I really like it, it's something different than animating regular humans so i'm guessing you get a little bit more freedom. Having said that it's possibly more difficult because you have no anatomical references i dunno.
    Either way good work, i've never seen a cyclops in real life, but its movement is how i would imagine :^:

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
    edited July 2009
    I've been working on the judo throw a bit before I move onto a large cyclops animation, took the throw in a diff direction,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuqA8m0Io-Q

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That still looks wrong, the way his entire body moves just feels wrong after the inital pulling/throw part

Loomdun on
    splat
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The judo throw is coming along, it almost seems like he's throwing something heavy and not doing a martial arts throw. When doing a judo throw you wouldn't lean that far forward as it would throw you off balance. Your hips and center of gravity stay in about the same spot, and you almost back into the enemy (sometimes sweeping the front foot backwards).

This is an decent example of what I mean. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoeSFLNeEPE&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch%3Frlz%3D1C1GGLS_enUS301US303%26sourceid%3Dchrome%26q%3Djudo%2520throw%26um%3D1%26ie%3DUTF-8%26sa%3DN%26hl%3Den%26tab%3Dwv&feature=player_embedded

Prospicience on
    edited July 2009
    My only beef with that one is that the body doesn't seem to have any weight, he lands like you were throwing a baloon to the ground.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the feedback I think I've realised exactly where I've gone wrong, and why it's taken me about 7 hours yesterday to end up with something that isn't good enough yet.

The reference I was using was a very short 5 second section the middle of the modern warfare 2 trailer, which is very zoomed out and only from one angle, so basically I've done my best to get the motion form there but it's a terrible reference and I should have been using one like the video above.

I can't animate today, but I should be able to quickly put this thing to bed tomorrow. But before I go, is the general consensus to keep it similar but make him heavier (like mustang said) or to make it much more like the proper judo throw in the video (it's not really important to me whether the soldier looks like an amateur or not)

I'm just looking for like, what would look best, is it necessary to change it so much or do I just need to make him heavier?

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    The biggest thing is the way the body falls and lands. To me, the throw itself being accurate seems minor.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Just got back, hmmm interesting. I had worked for about 20 mins after I posted last on making the throw like the video above. Before I do more of that I'll make a version with a better landing and we'll see how that comes out, or I may end up trying to do both before posting it.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Yo, had a friend round for a few hours and did the entire COD 5 campaign Co-OP, but now he's gone, so I finished up the 'heavier fall' version of the last animation posted (I have a diff version half way done of a more martial artsy throw)

anyway, to the people who wanted to same but heavier,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UPddns7yCU

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Hey there, working on this sequence, only the cyclops is animated at the moment, but the idea is that he's chasing down 2 helpless little men. He bats one away and grabs the other, then throws him at the camera, so..yeah, they're not in it yet,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tojhuuEyJ78

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Yo, had a friend round for a few hours and did the entire COD 5 campaign Co-OP, but now he's gone, so I finished up the 'heavier fall' version of the last animation posted (I have a diff version half way done of a more martial artsy throw)

anyway, to the people who wanted to same but heavier,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UPddns7yCU

Hm, I'd say.. better. I think the part where his body bounces and then just goes completely still seems a little weird. Maybe the bounce is a little too quick?

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Ok here's a throw with a slightly heartier bounce, i tried making the bounce take even longer but it didn't seem right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GggAM_o7KLk

and here's an updated cyclops. I'm pretty much done with his movements now so I'm gunna spend the day doing the humans movements around him now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGyuELWt-QY

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FabricateFabricate __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    that ogres second leap does not look right at all.

Can't place it, seems like he'd need to lurch down more and put more umph into it.

Fabricate on
    edited July 2009
    Here's a side view of my intensified jump
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xufMwqKLSxA

feels good? I want him to be in control of the jump and there to be a sense of like, hes SNATCHES the guy up, whoosh!

I've almost finished the animation for the humans but I wont bother posting until ive got a full sequence of it, which may be in a few hours,

ty for critzzzz

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That last judo throwdown is awesome. WAY better. Awesome, awesome work.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    That last judo throwdown is awesome. WAY better. Awesome, awesome work.

I'm with the buns of cream on this one, large improvements.

Prospicience on
  • BlightedArtBlightedArt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    r-jasper wrote: »
    dude. it doesn't seem like you're really listenign to the feedback people are giving you.

Ok, fair enough. You're saying I should stop all this full body motion stuff and stick with ball bounces yes?

I'm honestly not trying to ignore criticism in the slightest, I really try to reply to people and take on feedback.

I guess I'm not doing a very good job. I'm going to stop posting these things and go completely with the basic stuff ok?

Woah woah woah, don't say that. I've seen improvement from one animation to the next, but maybe you're just having the feedback as a sort of "thing to look out for next time" ... thing..

What I suggest is going through the next load of constructive feedback you read, and write down what people have suggested in very short bullet points, print it out, pin it up infront of you, and keep referring to it the next time you work on an animation from scratch.

You're definitely listening to what people are suggesting, but doing what I've suggested (lol paradox) might help you to do so with more efficiency and focus, I know it helps me out for sure!

BlightedArt on
    edited July 2009
    ty for the post blighted, that may have only been last page or so but my thread moves really slow so it feels like that was a long time ago :D I decided that I didn't agree with Jasper really (hence all the full motion body animations :D )

I have absolutely been taking ppl's advice on board, I can't believe the ridiculous amount of hours I put into making different versions of the judo throw etc based on what ppl have said, and I'm glad I got feedback on the cyclops' jump which I changed significantly. I very much pay attention to feedback so make sure if you read the thread you make a suggestion if you have one.

talking of which, here's a video of the cyclops with the humans fully animated around him, they are VERY small compared to him so it's hard to get a camera angle that shows it off properly, but anywho,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMNX9sFN9kY

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Nice, I really like that one.

Mustang on
    edited July 2009
    Glad you like it, here's a little lifting animation i made today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylRWYP_1gjo

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's very obvious you've improved exponentially since the start of this thread, I'm very impressed. That cyclops looks awesome.
    You might want to look up how people's arms look when throwing things though, maybe not, he just is kind of throwing like a girl when he tosses that dude

RubberAC on
    edited July 2009
    Hmm you're right actually, my initial concept was that he'd whip the guy round his head in a big swing as he threw it, a bit like if you were throwing a lasso. I'm not terribly certain why it ended up how it is, which while functional doesn't have the power I'd like actually. Well I'm making something quite cool today but before I start on anything new I'll revisit that throw and do something with it like the lasso idea or a baseball pitcher style thing or just a better throw in some other way. ty for bringing it to my attention

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Check this guy out, its a flight cycle for a dragon, kinda of zoomed out cause his wing span is so large, ill post up a better video later but I cant atm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX5AuJCBIow

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2009
    Here's what ive been working on as well as changing the cyclops throw but thats not ready to show yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXFNE0pCptQ

In future version the horse wont stop walking until hes startled and some other stuff but yeh, first draft

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]