As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Join a living world, even though you cease to be. [V:TM Bloodlines]

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I gotcha, St.

The thing is, Troika sucked to begin with on the whole support front. Then, about a month after they released the game, they fucking closed up shop, and left the game with huge fucking crippling glitches and bugs still left to be fixed.

Metzger Meister on
  • Jolly-ollyJolly-olly Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Like, that became good/playable after a fan patch, but sunk into obscurity because of initial failures? AND had a sequal? Cant think of any.

[edit] Operation Flashpoint and ATMA might count, as it was a spiritual successor to that game I believe.

Jolly-olly on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well yeah, I mean, Troika had a bad reputation too—look at how buggy Arcanum was, and their patches barely fixed it up.

I dunno. I'd be surprised if something happened. Free-roam like Hulk/Prototype with WoD would be fucking great though. That's a pretty good wet dream.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jolly-olly wrote: »
    Like, that became good/playable after a fan patch, but sunk into obscurity because of initial failures? AND had a sequal? Cant think of any.

[edit] Operation Flashpoint and ATMA might count, as it was a spiritual successor to that game I believe.

ARMA, not ATMA. And they're making an actual OFP2. Also ARMA II came out like yesterday. So yeah, I suppose.

L|ama on
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are there many examples of games that required a MASSIVE community patch to reach the level that the game should have been at by release that still managed to get another game in the line?

I don't even know if that sentence makes sense but hopefully you get my drift.

stalker, in my opinion

maybe I'll play this tonight

I'm drunk!

Charles Kinbote on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    L|ama wrote: »

ARMA, not ATMA. And they're making an actual OFP2. Also ARMA II came out like yesterday. So yeah, I suppose.

And really the only reason BI gets to keep making ARMA games is because of the cash they get from selling their actual military training sim. OFP and ARMA1/2 are hells of dumbed down.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KingMole wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »

And really the only reason BI gets to keep making ARMA games is because of the cash they get from selling their actual military training sim. OFP and ARMA1/2 are hells of dumbed down.

Not as dumbed down as OFP2

Still don't think that game deserves to use that title.

Burning Organ on
    edited June 2009
    Well, yeah, it seems like they're trying to get OFP2 to match up against Call of Duty 4.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh yeah, STALKER too. These all seem to be FPSs though, any RPGs? Fallout is pretty much exactly what we want, buggy as fuck and all that and then got picked up by a different company, except 3 was very different to 1 and 2 in many ways. Didn't someone from troika have something to do with fallout 2 or something? Or am I just getting confused again?

Aha, sort of: "In 1998, several key members responsible for the division's first title, Fallout, left Interplay to form Troika Games after they "were unable to come to an agreement with Interplay as to how [their] next team should be structured". On December 8, 2003, in the midst of serious financial difficulties, Interplay laid off the entire Black Isle Studios staff. By then, most members had moved on to found Obsidian Entertainment."

So there's precedent there, I suppose.

L|ama on
    edited June 2009
    Obsidian is really the same way as Troika, just with better patching being done to their games.

I really hope Fallout New Vegas is great.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The thing about Troika that depresses me is their games where so buggy but so amazing. Like both this and Arcanum are two of my absolute favorite games ever. If I owned my own development studio I would makes sequals to both.

Bucketman on
  • scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, has anyone found Auspex to be particularly useful in any situation? I guess it could help you shoot things, but would it be worth using the xp to get the next levels?

scarlet blvd. on
  • StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, has anyone found Auspex to be particularly useful in any situation? I guess it could help you shoot things, but would it be worth using the xp to get the next levels?

I use it for hacking like one uses blood buff for lockpicking but that's about it.

Starcross on
  • moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can you see auras through walls at higher levels? Mine's still at one (I use it for the hacking buff as well, and that's it).

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can see auras through walls at any level, the radius just suuuuucks at level 1.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, it surely does.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    At level 5, you'll have a +3 boost to firearms, defense, hacking, and investigation. On top of that, you have nightvision, can see pretty much every character in the map, and can tell whether they're supernatural, human, have seen you, and haven't seen you. I'm a fan.

WhiteZinfandel on
    edited June 2009
    Man, who needs firearms? Fire axes, on the other hand...

moocow on
    imttnk.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited June 2009
    Are there many examples of games that required a MASSIVE community patch to reach the level that the game should have been at by release that still managed to get another game in the line?

This one didn't need a fan patch, still doesn't.

Tube on
    edited June 2009

This one didn't need a fan patch, still doesn't.

I'm not using the fan patch, as I think it does a lot of dumb shit, and I've only had like...3 or 4 crashes in the past couple of days of far too intense hours of playing it.

moocow on
    imttnk.png
  • J3pJ3p Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What is it that the Fan Patch does that makes it kind of homogay?

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I haven't noticed anything glaringly different yet, but I do get the occasional feeling something is off.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    It does a lot of good stuff, but it seems like many of the changes are unnecessary.

I'm thinking of trying it anyways on my third play-through...which may not be immediately. :p

moocow on
    imttnk.png
    edited June 2009
    Yes but what are the unnecessary changes?

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
    edited June 2009
    you want someone to go through the hundred strong list of changes and point out for you which ones are stupid?

Tube on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    finished my malk playthrough last night, it was great

started up both gangrel and nosferatu playthroughs afterwards

gangrel is fun, does anything happen when you hit 0 humanity other than frenzying a lot and i guess different dialog options?

nosferatu isn't as bad as i thought it would be, i was worried about constant masquerade violations but i forgot how goddamn blind people are in this game

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    you want someone to go through the hundred strong list of changes and point out for you which ones are stupid?

Well I was just wondering if anyone had played using the Community Patch and what they thought was the most unnecessary changes or such forth, I guess? I don't know anymore.

J3p on
    +./\ 50 ?. 50
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    there is some incredibly retarded shit in there

removing the jamie sue zoom? trip doesn't sell books anymore? the fuck?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    will this game suck me into it's world and make me want to play for hours on end?

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited June 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    will this game suck me into it's world and make me want to play for hours on end?

about half an hour into the game i snuck into a beachside cabin, turned the lights out, waited for a guy to come turn the power back on and took him out from behind with a bat to the head

then i snuck through the house and sucked all of the blood out of a wannabe gangster's body before going to town on his chump posse, leaving them all dead in the house and then walking out the front door and beating the watchman to death with the earlier-mentioned baseball bat for being a dick to me

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited June 2009
    Fallout wrote: »

about half an hour into the game i snuck into a beachside cabin, turned the lights out, waited for a guy to come turn the power back on and took him out from behind with a bat to the head

then i snuck through the house and sucked all of the blood out of a wannabe gangster's body before going to town on his chump posse, leaving them all dead in the house and then walking out the front door and beating the watchman to death with the earlier-mentioned baseball bat for being a dick to me

I used my vampire powers to convince a guy that he wanted to let me in, then began savagely beating them to death as soon as I got inside

diff'rent strokes

Charles Kinbote on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I want this game

I need videogames that will take my mind completely off real life right now

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
    edited June 2009

I used my vampire powers to convince a guy that he wanted to let me in, then began savagely beating them to death as soon as I got inside

diff'rent strokes

I did that, then convinced the gangster to let me pay through 'other methods', then walked out without a scratch.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited June 2009
    I still have no clue where the money is, though

Charles Kinbote on
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

diff'rent strokes

I did that, then convinced the gangster to let me pay through 'other methods', then walked out without a scratch.

I seduced the doorman so he'd let me in. Then the dealer. When we were alone, I sucked him dry, picked up the astrolite, and walked out the front door smooth as you please. To Shank, the money is one room away from the dealer, inside a cranny you get to through a grate.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I still have no clue where the money is, though

in a vent next to the washing machine

Cilla Black on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i am playing with the fan patch and have enjoyed a lot of the changes

Kovak on
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    6.2 has the same drawbacks as those large overarching Fallout 3 patches. Lots of stuff where you say "oh man, that's a great idea" and lots of stuff where you frown, thinking "fuck that, I'm playing this game for fun, not for super crazy nowhere realism"

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited June 2009
    J3p wrote: »

Well I was just wondering if anyone had played using the Community Patch and what they thought was the most unnecessary changes or such forth, I guess? I don't know anymore.

It's stuff like changing quest reward, changing weapon damage, changing xp, changing when you get the best weapon so it's much earlier. It's a mod, it's not a patch, and I'm not a believer in starting out with a game by playing a mod.

Tube on