As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ghostbusters is 25! Game's out!

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So it turns out I did not take this game back to blockbuster like I thought I had.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Question, guys. If I finish the storyline but still have ghosts to scan/artifacts to collect, can I just go back to the levels I think I missed the artifacts in and get them there, or do I have to play it all over again?

Moriveth on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Also I think I missed an achievement at the hotel, something about 'making the bar mitzvah especially kosher'

but whatever

the game is great

from the other thread
    Cobell wrote: »
    A Jewish magazine's take on the Ballroom encounter with Slimer in Ghostbusters: The Video Game:

Link at:
    http://www.tabletmag.com/life-and-religion/haunted-ham/

text copy/pasted:
    It was going to be a Shabbat to remember. After a long week of work at Tablet Magazine, I was looking forward to leaving the Jews behind and focusing instead on the ghosts. I left the office Friday afternoon, dashed over to my favorite video game store, and bought a copy of “Ghostbusters: The Video Game,” the newly released title that’s currently the hottest property for joystick jockeys everywhere.

My hands quivered as I inserted the disc into my gaming console. I revere Ghost Busters, the 1984 Ivan Reitman comedy, the way some men worship sports teams, rock bands, or organized religions. I quote it often. I think about it frequently. I sometimes pass by 14 N. Moore Street in Manhattan just to look at the firehouse that served as Ghostbusters HQ in the film. A chance to play as a new Ghostbusters’ recruit, to slap on a proton pack and blast some ghouls, felt less like a game and more like a childhood dream come true.

After completing a short training session, I found myself joining Dr. Peter Venkman (voiced in the game, as in the original film, by the peerless Bill Murray) in the lobby of the Sedgwick Hotel. Slimer, the green and gluttonous ghost, had escaped from captivity, and found his way back to his old haunt, seeking refreshments in the hotel’s luxurious ballroom. But the hotel’s manager, a pixelated persnickety dude, told Venkman and me that the ballroom was off limits. The Rodriguez bar mitzvah was about to begin, and, ghost or no ghost, the hotel couldn’t risk alienating its customers.

As Venkman snuck us in through the kitchen, blasting everything in sight with his proton beam, my mind wandered. The Rodriguez bar mitzvah? Sure, I thought, there were probably Jews named Rodriguez, but why choose such an atypical name in a medium not usually given to nuance? Finally finding my way into the hall, I realized that their last name wasn’t the only thing that made the Rodriguez’s simcha unusual: there on the buffet table, right next to the wine bottles and the silver candlesticks, were a few huge chunks of honey-glazed ham.

I froze in my tracks. It was time, I realized, to make a major decision about my identity. Was I a Jew first and a Ghostbuster second? Or was it the other way around? Do I catch the ghost? Or do I take care of the treyf? My heart beat fast. Then, suddenly, I knew just what I needed to do.

Ignoring Venkman’s repeated pleas to help him with the manic Slimer, I walked decisively over to the buffet. I took my time, making sure my aim was just right. Then, I pressed the button, and blasted the offensive ham into smithereens. I stopped and smiled. But what happened next left me astonished: a bright-colored tag popped up on the upper left-hand corner of the screen. I had accomplished, the game informed me, one of its many hidden mini-missions, little puzzles meant to keep gamers on their toes and help them score more points. “Achievement unlocked,” read the tag, followed by one more unexpected word: “Kosher!”

So the mission, I thought with amazement, wasn’t just about capturing the fugitive apparition. It was also about making sure the Rodriguezs enjoy a halachically proper party.

I refocused my beam on Slimer with renewed zeal. My heart was at ease. In this strange and wonderful game, I realized, busting ghosts and blasting pork were just two sides of the same coin. I was a Jew and a Ghostbuster, just like I always wanted to be.

this is fucking wonderful, by the way

Amazing it what it is. Fucking beautiful design.

sarukun on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2009
    there's a thing on the career menu at the start that lets you replay specific missions

you won't have your purchased upgrades, but you can find that stuff again, and it keeps track of how many you have compared to how many there are

DJ Eebs on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ahh, neat. I think I'm only missing... two so far? I'm not really sure, I just know there was one in the Museum level that was apparently on top of some pillars or a level above me somehow, and one in the office building.

Of course I may just go through the game again on Casual and try and get those level-specific achievements anyway.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    did you get the disco pants and floating beard

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2009
    I thought those were in the return to the hotel mission

I haven't gotten those yet

Moriveth on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dangit how the hell do I open the gate in the cemetary

alternatively: why is ray so dumb he gets me killed every chance he gets

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2009
    dangit how the hell do I open the gate in the cemetary

alternatively: why is ray so dumb he gets me killed every chance he gets

slam the angels into the gate with the slime tether or the capture stream

DJ Eebs on
    edited June 2009
    I'll probably finish this up tomorrow, even though I'm on the last bit (I think, at least)

I may try and convince Rachel to watch Ghostbusters tonight

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    you don't try and convince her

you just put that shit on

ain't nobody that can say no to watching ghostbusters when it is already on

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited June 2009
    ghostbusters should need no convincing

at all

DJ Eebs on
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ever.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    also that

geebs is my dogg

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'll be down for multiplayer tomorrow night.

XBL: Sir Platypus

Sir Platypus on
    edited June 2009
    If memory serves me and Sir Platypus are E-Friends, so i too would be down with a game tomorrow.

Melding on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I want to convince VoC to watch Ghostbusters, I just say "I'm in a Ghostbusters-watching mood tonight. I'm gonna put that on."

She's all "Cool."

Girl has seen my love of that movie. When the game came out she told me not to worry about talking to her that night and to just call her on my break the next day.

TankHammer on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    When I want to convince VoC to watch Ghostbusters, I just say "I'm in a Ghostbusters-watching mood tonight. I'm gonna put that on."

She's all "Cool."

Girl has seen my love of that movie. When the game came out she told me not to worry about talking to her that night and to just call her on my break the next day.

you marry that girl

YOU MARRY HER!

Joolander on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dude, I ain't ready for that kinda' commitment yet.

TankHammer on
    edited June 2009
    Ray got possessed again.

DJ Eebs on
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i dont mean like now tanky

i mean eventually

like when ghostbusters 3 comes out in theaters

Joolander on
    edited June 2009
    Anyone want to come bust some ghosts?

Melding on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I WILL BUST GHOSTS WITH YOU OKAY! YES?

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
    edited June 2009
    Will bust Ghosts For Food.

Melding on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will bust ghosts in a bit?

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2009
    McCool! Where did you go!

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    MCCCCOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    Just beat the single-player. Excellent game, I enjoyed it a lot. I may be down for busting some ghosts in multiplayer tonight, but I'm not sure - I may just keep on playing Fallout 3.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    Eh, shockingly I am not really in the mood for busting ghosts right now. Tomorrow though, i will be there.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    Shit, why did I say tonight? I meant tomorrow night.

Moriveth on
    edited June 2009
    one day I will bust ghosts with you guys

but now I gots to sleep for the early afternoon showing of Transformers 2 because that's where the action is.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I'll probably finish this up tomorrow, even though I'm on the last bit (I think, at least)

I may try and convince Rachel to watch Ghostbusters tonight

Hey!

I didn't really need convincing

Janson on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    MCCCCOOOOOOOOOLLLLL!

so my net conked out for a bit.... but i have to say, that a few real life friends actually refer to me in this exact same (imagine a office manager from the 1950's yelling it) manner.

One of my old roomates used to shout "McCool!!!!! my office, NOW!" all the time.

Zephos on
    edited June 2009
    That's actually why I did it, because you told me that story.

Melding on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm never around when it is cool story time apparently.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2009
    Of course, if you where there the story wouldn't be cool.

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    That's actually why I did it, because you told me that story.

yeah well, no internet made me drink a lot more so yeah. GO ME!

Zephos on
    edited June 2009
    Jobless and drunk, you're making me proud.

Ghostbusters tomorrow?

Melding on
    edited June 2009
    probably sir, probably.

Zephos on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Maybe.

I am displeased with Overlord 2 not being in stores around here until the 25th.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png