As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Raiding Ulduar to stop the Corruption of Flesh

1606162636466»

• Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you normally use 3 healers or two? I figure 3 might be needed as I can cover the raid damage myself, but from what I'm reading he hits like a god damn truck so a Disc Priest with cooldown rotation and shaman spamming on him might work.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We use three. As far as hitting like a truck, it's not really that bad from my experience. You just have to watch for the Fusion Punch spikes and get that dispelled as soon as it get applied without fail.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    SerpicoSerpico Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you have competent healers they can probably 2-heal it, and you shouldn't need more than 2 tanks on 10-man since overload lasts 1 min. If you find yourself not making it in 2 minutes you need more dps, and getting an extra tank won't help - if your healers still have mana at that point you can use SS/battleress on the first tank and have him tank again though. Really shouldn't be needed on 10-man but still.

Serpico on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sounds good, I think we're going to try 1 tank, 2 heals, 6 DPS to start - feral offtank in cat gear to hold the two first dwarves, burn them down, then everyone pile on Fatboy.

Edit - check that, will need said feral to be in bear gear now that I think about it. Do you guys bring speed potions / etc for this? How much of a DPS race is this compared to say getting XT into hard mode? Comparable? I ask as we did that without bloodlust (although we will be swapping out two ferals for an enhance sham and mage)

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    DPS should be fine by that standard

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sounds good, I think we're going to try 1 tank, 2 heals, 6 DPS to start - feral offtank in cat gear to hold the two first dwarves, burn them down, then everyone pile on Fatboy.

Edit - check that, will need said feral to be in bear gear now that I think about it. Do you guys bring speed potions / etc for this? How much of a DPS race is this compared to say getting XT into hard mode? Comparable? I ask as we did that without bloodlust (although we will be swapping out two ferals for an enhance sham and mage)

We two heal it as Disc Priest/LWH Shaman and it's not too bad; Druid > Shaman for raid healing on this fight. You may need three the first few times (we sure did) while people learn basics like "move out of big green rune thing that makes dbm yell" (I took six ticks and died to NO HEAL) and "oh, I'm supposed to interrupt the whirl?"

You'll be fine DPS-wise.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ishtaar wrote: »

We two heal it as Disc Priest/LWH Shaman and it's not too bad; Druid > Shaman for raid healing on this fight. You may need three the first few times (we sure did) while people learn basics like "move out of big green rune thing that makes dbm yell" (I took six ticks and died to NO HEAL) and "oh, I'm supposed to interrupt the whirl?"

You'll be fine DPS-wise.

Well, you shouldn't be getting lightning whirls and death runes in the same fight on hard mode.

We kill the Runemaster first on our kills. Seems like death runes are more disruptive than having to interrupt the whirls.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Metacortex wrote: »
    Ishtaar wrote: »

You'll be fine DPS-wise.

Well, you shouldn't be getting lightning whirls and death runes in the same fight on hard mode.

We kill the Runemaster first on our kills. Seems like death runes are more disruptive than having to interrupt the whirls.
    We do the little guy first on 10 and Runemaster first on 25, it's all a blur now >.<

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So the overload mechanic gives one random player that 200% damage buff for 60 seconds, he moves 15 yards away from the raid, then blows up. Tank dies, Steelbreaker gets 15% health back - at that point are you just screwed? Or do you have a second tank pick it up then repeat, hopefully taking him down before that second overload winds down?

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    We use a paladin tank on Steelbreaker and he handles his own dispells after the fusion punch. That way the healers don't get caught on a global cooldown.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    We use a paladin tank on Steelbreaker and he handles his own dispells after the fusion punch. That way the healers don't get caught on a global cooldown.

Yep, that's our plan as well. I'm just curious whether we can eek out some more DPS by having our feral tank the first two dwarves in cat gear and bear form. Once they're dead he jumps on Steelbreaker, but at that point we only have 60 seconds to kill him thanks to Overload, because once the Paladin tank dies, the feral will get smushed in bearform, likely.

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Yep, that's our plan as well. I'm just curious whether we can eek out some more DPS by having our feral tank the first two dwarves in cat gear and bear form. Once they're dead he jumps on Steelbreaker, but at that point we only have 60 seconds to kill him thanks to Overload, because once the Paladin tank dies, the feral will get smushed in bearform, likely.

You need two tanks for him at the end, giving you a little over 2 minutes to kill him. He doesn't always cast Overload right away. So, if your paladin is tanking first, he'll tank him, get overload cast on him, then you'll need the second tank to taunt and take over when the paladin is about to blow up. 5 seconds should be enough, but err on the side of caution I guess, just as long as he has time to move away from everyone.

If you want to squeeze some more dps out you can have your feral druid take the first Overload and use a soulstone/battle rez to get him back up once the paladin takes over.

Edit: Oh, and if your paladin is cleansing himself, you need to make sure someone is doing it on the other tank while he's tanking of course.

Metacortex on
    4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you absolutely want to maximise DPS time on Steelbreaker, you can have your second tank taunt steel while you're killing the second member of the council, then have the first tank taunt him back. Then, when Meltdown happens you can position your raid such that:
    -The MT is in front of Steel
    -two to three ranged DPS are spread out in even intervals, about 15-20 yards back from Steelbreaker to eat static disruptions
    -Everyone else is positioned behind Steelbreaker, at max melee range

Then, when the meltdown occurs your tank will safely explode at 0s, your OT will have secondary threat. Then, your OT just has to spin steelbreaker around and you've lost no time from the first tank's overwhelming power.

It's not particularly necessary to do in 10m, though, as the enrage timer with a 60 second overwhelming power is honestly pretty forgiving.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You cannot solo-tank IC hardmode comfortably. The only possible way I can see it working would be is if the Feral tanks first, and you rotate cooldowns for the Fusion Punch so he can easily survive, then when he's dead, he pops up with a soulstone and goes kitty, and the paladin taunts.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Re: Steelbreaker Hard Mode, a bit more color.

We'll have a Paladin Tank and either a Feral or Warrior OT. Disc Priest and Resto Druid for heals. Elemental Shaman, Hunter, Enhance Shaman, Lock, Mage with whoever isn't OTing being our final dps.

Question - do we need more tanks? do I need to have the Ele shaman flip to Resto (he has a killer set and is a great healer) or can we two heal this?

Our first couple kills, we did three healers: disc priest, resto druid, resto shaman. There is a fair amount of raid damage going around. Lately we just use two, priest and one of the others. I keep the Steelbreaker tank topped off, and as a paladin he dispels himself, and I PoM/PW:S the raid when I'm between heals on the tank (he doesn't take that much damage except for the punches). Just remember that someone has to dispel when the paladin tank dies, if your second tank is not also a paladin. Our ret paladin tends to do it.

riz on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Soooo Mimiron hardmode has been stealth nerfed (and pretty hard) I expect there will be many new drake riders appearing this week :P

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How was it nerfed?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The top guild on my server only finally got 25man firefighter on Tuesday. I wonder if that's how/why they finally got it.

They're only like 30th in the US, too.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    -40% firedmg
    -50% hand pulse duration
    Fire bots no longer silence in 10man
    Hp reduced all round.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well I'm glad that if they're going to shut the door on drakes they're at least making the content a bit more manageable.

That said, we one shot Mimiron last night (I think, maybe 2 shot) with 1 death on our kill. This is going from like 6-7 healers down to 5. It's crazy how adding DPS makes such a difference rather than just outhealing the bosses.

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Firefighter nerfs please me greatly, btw.

Lunatic Clam on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My 10man raided last night. We had a really bad off-night. People were not playing like they normally do. It was just one mistake after another, all night long. Really irritating. We wiped like 5 times on Thorim, whereas normally we one shot him. Last week we had a perfect Thorim Hard Mode kill with zero deaths. This week we wiped 5 times.

We made a bunch of firefighter attempts, and it didn't feel nerfed at all. I don't know when those changes actually went live, but as of about 10:00 EST last night, the fight felt exactly the same.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    silverbuddysilverbuddy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I wish they wouldn't keep nerfing hard modes. I wasn't particularly pleased with the Firefighter nerf, my guild didn't even get a chance to attempt it before the nerf, but it isn't like it hasn't been done by guilds thusfar.

Thorim to me seems like a boss like Vaelstraz in that you can easily mess it up and a guild who rocks him regularly can have a terribad week and get stuck on him. Sucks but there are just a lot of variables.

silverbuddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Thorim is usually derailed by the following

Phase 1
    - Evokers not getting purged
    - Champions running loose and whirlwinding

Phase 2
    - People not noticing the electric cone (ZAP)
    - People / melee standing too close to each other (ZZZZZZZAAAPPPPPP)

Lunatic Clam on
This discussion has been closed.