As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Month End Moments of the Week 06/24/09

LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
edited July 2009 in Graphic Violence
This being the end of the month, there were a lot of books released today. I had 8 and I've read 4 of them so far. So lets discuss our moment(s) of the week.

Gotham City Sirens - A new team-up book featuring Catwoman, Poison Ivy, and Harley Quinn, with an ample amount of cheesecake. Gotta say, out of the 4 books I read so far, this is my top moment. As I stated last week regarding Streets of Gotham, I love the way Paul Dini writes Harley. I'm really excited about this new ongoing in which she's a co-star.
The story seems like its gonna be pretty interesting. The girls have formed an alliance, but already there are signs of distrust and secret alliances. The bit at the end with Ivy trying to learn Batman's identity was pretty awesome.

Detective Comics - Featuring Batwoman. The story was pretty good. From what I can tell, its a continuation of the events that took place during 52. However, there was one thing that kind of bothered me:
I didn't particularly care for the way Rucka was writing Kate. She seemed really out of character from how I remember her in 52. Not only that, but the tattoos and outfit she was wearing were really out of place. I thought Kate Kane was a rich woman of privilege? She seemed almost goth and self deprecating to me, which is not what I remember at all.

Daredevil - Brubaker's supporting cast is just so good. I loved the scene between Dakota and Foggy.
Crazy Wilson Fisk talking to his imaginary ghost-wife was interesting. And all the manipulation and backstabbing that is going on between Fisk, Owlsley, and Lady Bullseye is fun.

Oh, and mind controlled Tarantula and White Tiger on a mission to kill Foggy. Next month is gonna be great!

Green Lantern - The end of the Agent Orange arc. Once again, the art in this issue was split between Tan and Barrows. I actually thought Tan's art was much improved this issue. The art seemed split about 50/50 between both of them, and both had some great panels.
So Hal's hand getting chopped off was an illusion created by the Blue Ring. I think we can officially count that as a new power that Blue Lanterns have, the ability to trick or manipulate people into believing their hopes are coming true.

Also, the full page splash image of Hal summoning his own entire corps to fight against Larfleeze's summoned corps was pretty awesome. And I loved the line "I thought of it a billion years ago. Did you?"

Lucascraft on

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Green Lantern - The end of the Agent Orange arc. Once again, the art in this issue was split between Tan and Barrows. I actually thought Tan's art was much improved this issue. The art seemed split about 50/50 between both of them, and both had some great panels.
    So Hal's hand getting chopped off was an illusion created by the Blue Ring. I think we can officially count that as a new power that Blue Lanterns have, the ability to trick or manipulate people into believing their hopes are coming true.

Also, the full page splash image of Hal summoning his own entire corps to fight against Larfleeze's summoned corps was pretty awesome. And I loved the line "I thought of it a billion years ago. Did you?"

Saw that stuff in the preview, and it was great. Hoping to pick up the full issue today.
    That trick with the blue ring is actually not new - Saint Walker used it against John Stewart during the Red Lantern arc when Stewart was under the effects of the Red Flame of Rage. It caused John to see a vision of something that gave him hope - Larfleeze was affected in the same way, hallucinating that his hunger would eventually be satisfied.

The Blue Lanterns probably don't see it as an offensive ability, although it seems pretty effective.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know why, but even though I've literally heard this joke well over a thousand times I still LOL'ed when I read this on S_D.
    Anyway, Zeus decides to represent himself (mistake; I'm sure Hades is full of good lawyers)
    Haven't gotten a chance to grab or read anything, but their scans for Thor #602 were quite impressive.

I really can't wait to read Detective. I was listening to Rucka on Word Balloon earlier and I'm especially fascinated by her father. Seems Rucka did a metric fuckton of research on Special Forces for his background, and he's doing overwatch/after-action debriefings.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Of course, if they were really good lawyers, they've have gotten themselves sent upstairs.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Of course, if they were really good lawyers, they've have gotten themselves sent upstairs.

Indeed.

Maybe that's why I laughed. "Yeah. You wish."

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Utopia was pretty good. I'm excited for it.
    Surprise, Xavier! Norman tricked you just to use you! No shit, Sherlock!

I haven't read much else yet.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Uncanny X-Men was actually quite good today. This was the "Back in time" issue, and I thought it was a very good stand alone story. They need to do this more often, where an entire adventure takes place over the course of a single issue.
    I'm not all that familiar with the Hellfire Club. Who was the blonde dude that was calling the shots? And who was the black haired chick that was always with Shaw?

Also, I thought the whole thing about the seers in the opium den was pretty awesome. Perhaps the mutant gene goes back a little farther than they thought?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Uncanny X-Men was actually quite good today. This was the "Back in time" issue, and I thought it was a very good stand alone story. They need to do this more often, where an entire adventure takes place over the course of a single issue.
    I'm not all that familiar with the Hellfire Club. Who was the blonde dude that was calling the shots? And who was the black haired chick that was always with Shaw?

Also, I thought the whole thing about the seers in the opium den was pretty awesome. Perhaps the mutant gene goes back a little farther than they thought?

I also loved the fact that it was standalone. Didn't have to deal with some last page reveal that you won't truly understand for 30 days.
    As for the Hellfire Club people, I'm not sure. They called the blond one Molyneux, right? And I kind of assumed the black haired one was Selene, considering she has a long history with the club (I think?).

And Beast said mutants had been around for thousands of years, it was just in 1906 when the population boom started, with the birth of Dr. Nemesis.

Faynor on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Literals #3 wrapped up the Great Fables Crossover rather well.

Kevin Thorn wrote away Old Sam to be ignored by everyone for ten thousand years and a day, for punishment for trying to steal his pen. Gary makes all the furniture come to life to stall Thorn while the others try to take him down, but Thorn wrote himself a force field to protect himself. As Thorn writes the end of the world, Jack Frost....

l3a.jpg

So Thorn is in ice, and they are able to save the day. Dex appears and shows what an egg can do to save the world:

l3b.jpg
    Hey look its Bufkin!

Anyways, this egg is a blank universe, so all the Literals hop on through to create a new world so Thorn can play there:

l3c.jpg

Gary and the Page Sisters stay behind, knowing that it will mean they turn into Mundys. The sisters also tell Jack Frost to come along with them instead of telling his father he performed his heroic feat (which is weird because he's like 1/4 their nephew or something, ewww).

And at the end, Jack gets kicked out of the Fables Farm, and hits the road with Gary and Babe again.

This crossover should not have worked. It was very very meta, yet it hit the right balance between progressing the story and making jokes about stories and comics and needing the right editor to make it work.

This was right up there with Homelands and March of the Wooden Soldiers as one of the best Fables stories.

And Uncanny #512 was good as well. My LCS actually made a point to tell people "If you didn't like Fraction's work on Uncanny, pick this up." It was very good, like the annual. It was a big story (so the $4 wasn't a ripoff), a nice done in one tale, and just good. It's rather frustrating that Fraction can write these really good stories in the X-Universe but only seems to do so every 6 or 7th issue. There are some hiccups in continuity, like how it doesn't mention Warren and Betsy dated for a long time, but it was good.

The team helped cause the 1906 SF earthquake thanks to Nemesis' dad's device, which was made to power a steampunk sentinel for Shaw and his Hellfire Club(Wild Wild West, yo). Nemesis also went back in time to deliver himself from his mother as she died in childbirth.

And the celestial in SF stands directly on the spot where the X-Men left the blood samples from Nemesis' parents to check their genetic code for mutancy.

More to come later, because it was a heavy week.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Haven't read my DC books yet, but I got through my Marvel ones.

Amazing Spider-Man just gets more and more generic. I'm not even really going to go into it, but for every neat moment, something happens to cause a return of the status quo by the end of the next issue. And a lot of the time, the fixing moments are abrupt, uninspired, or just plain nonsensical. Example:
    Spidey got shot in the head last issue...but....it....didn't do anything? Because his mask is impermeable to bullets? Or something? But it's not impermeable to blood? So, like, blood just drips through from the bullet that didn't actually hit him? or something?

Really Dumb.

X-Men Forever 2 was just flat out bad to a point where even I can't defend it.

However, Fraction's Science Team issue of Uncanny was amazing. One of the best issues of anything beyond Superman that I've read in awhile. I'd love to see a book of just the science team going on adventures, or even just more of Nemesis.

Has he been in anything else, or is he just some ancient silver age character that's been resuscitated in this run? Do we know when we'll next learn anything about the blood samples? I assume the Utopia book/s won't be featuring any new revelations in the X-Gene department. Also, since I haven't been reading Fraction's run so far, what the hell is that big statue thing at the end? Where did it come from?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It will probably be a while. Fraction was only devoting 1 or 2 pages tops, per issue, to the the X Club in his previous arcs. I have a feeling that the cure / solution to the x-gene is gonna be a long time in coming. And I totally agree, I'd read a book based on the science team. This issue was just a lot of fun.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    OK, so Utopia, it basically filled the bill with what I wrote above, where every six or seven issues Fraction gets it right. In this one shot, it's like every six or seven pages he gets it right, and the ending is a good setup. It was like reading a Claremont issue, but the Dark Avenger scenes were really good. Ares has one of the best pages in the book, which I scanned below.

First off, Silvestri has 4 pencil assists, whatever that means, on this book (much of which is ghost drawn, not just backgrounds ala Pat Lee), and nine fucking inkers. And every other male in the book has a mustache for some reason. He also draws Sentry like a pouting Grinch.

Now, the story, with scans of the good parts:
    Trask, who apparently is back to life but not controlled by Selene or whatever the ringleader of whatever they're doing in X-Force with the revived baddies, leads a march to SF. It's worth noting they went over the top with making the pro human side Mormon fill-ins, with white shirts and ties and everything.

Riot ensues, Hank gets arrested. Scott and Emma talk to the mayor, and she tells Scott to reign in the people, which Emma takes offense to (because she sees Scott as the leader of mutants, not a joint sharing including her).

Rioting continues, and half the new mutants riot and you have Peter beating up Santo because he's rioting. Basically all the bad mutants riot.

The city is so swamped that Norman has to come in to fix everything, saying Scott hasn't done enough to keep the mutants in line due to Trask's march. So he sends in the Dark Avengers.

dau1.jpg

dau2.jpg
    That is the best scene int he whole book. Ares is awesome.

Emma is nowhere to be found, because she's meeting with Osborn. He plays on Emma wanting to be the Queen Bee, and tells her to create a new team of mutants to appear as mutant police basically. Then we get this chain of events:

dau3.jpg

dau4.jpg

dau5.jpg

So Cyclops is on the run, Emma seems to revert back to being bad just so she can be known as leader of mutants, and Xavier and Hank are held hostage by Norman.

I can see the Uncanny issues being boring like Fraction's run has been, but the Dark Avenger issues being good, the way Fraction writes them.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    How is the whole Utopia/Dark X-Men/Dark Avengers crossover going to be laid out? How many series and how many issues?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    X-Men/Dark Avengers Utopia
    Uncanny #513
    Dark Avengers #7
    Uncanny #514
    Dark Avengers #8
    X-Men/Dark Avengers: Exodus (gee, could that mean the X-Men leave SF? a bit too on the nose)
    Dark X-Men: The Confession (not really integral, an epilogue of sorts)

TexiKen on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Amazing Spider-Man just gets more and more generic. I'm not even really going to go into it, but for every neat moment, something happens to cause a return of the status quo by the end of the next issue. And a lot of the time, the fixing moments are abrupt, uninspired, or just plain nonsensical. Example:
    Spidey got shot in the head last issue...but....it....didn't do anything? Because his mask is impermeable to bullets? Or something? But it's not impermeable to blood? So, like, blood just drips through from the bullet that didn't actually hit him? or something?

Really Dumb.

Not enough facepalm in the world.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure if I agree with you in Emma's motives. The page specifically where Emma gets offended,
    It would be like telling a black person to control his "people". The mayor sees Scott as the leader of the mutants, but like he said, he's not their King. He can't order them not to do something, because aside from the X-Men he really has no pull. Emma is offended at that.

And what happens if Emma says no to his offer? She has no pull. Emma's intentions in the cabal have been foremost to keep crazy Osborn out of the mutants hair, which is exactly what he says with the "our deal" bit. I agree, her putting on a different costume seems a bit like comic book logic, but it seems like the most politically viable. Norman would go apeshit.

I could all be wrong in this, but I'm not sure if you can clearly say "Emma is siding with Norman so she can lead the mutants instead of Scott."

Honestly, I think the only whole in this thing is the Avengers are watching this shit go down on TV and they're like "Oh, you gotta go Logan? That's fine, good luck with Stormin' Norman!". I would think they would offer to help, at the very least.

At any rate, did anyone read Thor? It was fantastic. I really wish JMS and Coipel could pump it out more often, because it really is awesome in a can. It's a bit telling, though, that in the issue the Sorcerer Supreme was Strange. I'm going to scan some shit soon, but a few cliffs.
    Thor is hellbent on saving Sif, and knows that he can't with Mjolnir being so damaged. He goes to Doc Strange to get it fixed, but Strange says it would fuck it up beyond repair without the life force of Odin, since that's what went into it originally. Then Thor gets the idea of sacrificing the Odin Force that he has in him to repair it. He does it, and it works, and makes it barely in time to save Sif from the old woman's body.

That's good and all, but the moments that really shined for me were Balder's.

Oh, and I guess this is a good a place to mention it as any. Why the hell did Norman give Venom that stupid serum if everytime Venom is going to go into a fight, he's going to turn into evil symbiote from hell? Hey, Gargan, cameras are everywhere.

Faynor on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    dau5.jpg
    God, how I hate belly shirts. Hate them so much.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I didn't take the "your people" that way because this is the mayor of SF, she would know how to watch her words if she's being portrayed as the super tolerant person in the most tolerant city in the US (this is where their build up of SF being this liberal utopia can come back to bite them in the butt).

I would agree that there can be a double agent in Emma, but would it come at the expense of drugging Xavier and apprehending the X-Men and essentially making SF martial law so quickly? All this seems to have happened in 8 hours. A good plot point would be her wanting to be a double agent at the beginning, but slowly reverting to her old ways because it just works better.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    I really enjoyed the Ares miniseries from a couple of years ago. I've been a little disappointed that most of the time now they're writing him as a chauvinistic alpha male caveman comic relief character.

Nice to see him acting more like a god of war.

DMAC on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well it's bendis

he writes people the way that fits his needs

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I didn't take the "your people" that way because this is the mayor of SF, she would know how to watch her words if she's being portrayed as the super tolerant person in the most tolerant city in the US (this is where their build up of SF being this liberal utopia can come back to bite them in the butt).

I would agree that there can be a double agent in Emma, but would it come at the expense of drugging Xavier and apprehending the X-Men and essentially making SF martial law so quickly? All this seems to have happened in 8 hours. A good plot point would be her wanting to be a double agent at the beginning, but slowly reverting to her old ways because it just works better.
    Emma placed no emphasis on your. It was on people. I'm not sure how you're reading it that way. And I think from the mayor's point of view, Scott is the leader of the mutants, so she was watching her words.

I'm not sure what you were meaning by your second paragraph. Can you clarify?

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Anyways, here are those Thor scans. I didn't bother to scan it, but the romance subplot with the Asgardian and the guy from Oklahoma is awesome, too.
    img005.jpgimg006.jpgimg007.jpg

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Superman is my Moment of the Week again.

Damn, damn fine. Mon-El goes on travels throughout the world, and fights alongside a bunch of nearly unknown international DCU characters. It's not just Robinson showing off his encyclopedic knowledge of early and obscure DC; there's also a feeling that of all the Superbooks being pumped out right now, this is the important one. There are little nods to the upcoming Adventure Comics, and his Justice League, as well as the August super cross-over event.

Detective Comics is interesting, but I'm not sold yet. I love the stark transition between Kathy's personal life and her work as Batwoman. My biggest issue is probably that I haven't read 52 yet (coincidentally, I have the last two volumes on the way to me, and I intend to read it in the next couple of weeks). Also, the Question backup kind of sucked. The art isn't all that great, and the story is just pretty normal. This is probably just a warmup story, but the fact that it's divided into Chapters AND Parts is discouraging.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just found my moment of the weak.

I forgot to pick up like two books. :(

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Faynor, in response to your question (as a sidenote your invulnerable baby avatar is much better than "teh Landz")
    Emma says "his 'people'?" Yes she has people in quotes but I read it still as taking offense to Scott being the president that he doesn't see himself as, as opposed to the two of them. I'm going by what has been done since Morrison's run ended, where it has always been about Scott and Emma being the new headmasters, jointly being mom and pop mutant. Couple that with the way Norman propositioned Emma at the end to be a "new leader" for mutantkind with his Dark X-Men plan, that's what put me on the side of Emma's feeling of wanting power outweighing everything else. Emma has always had Scott's ear, but with the realization he's hiding stuff from her that, while she would have authorized it, didn't involve her, she probably is upset that he didn't jump when she told him to.

In regards to my second paragraph, I was referencing Emma being on the Cabal just to protect mutants and to try and get the best for mutants out of it. Norman sees her being there as just a mutant to use for his goals, as she is the highest ranking mutant who has a conflicting past until recently (Namor despite being a mutant is just a dick, not really being bad). At first she tries to keep her distance form how they run things, but she later realizes "hey, this isn't bad, he's doing things the way I would."

Also, Loki was a guy in Utopiain a panel with Doom. That was weird.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Faynor, in response to your question (as a sidenote your invulnerable baby avatar is much better than "teh Landz")
    Emma says "his 'people'?" Yes she has people in quotes but I read it still as taking offense to Scott being the president that he doesn't see himself as, as opposed to the two of them. I'm going by what has been done since Morrison's run ended, where it has always been about Scott and Emma being the new headmasters, jointly being mom and pop mutant. Couple that with the way Norman propositioned Emma at the end to be a "new leader" for mutantkind with his Dark X-Men plan, that's what put me on the side of Emma's feeling of wanting power outweighing everything else. Emma has always had Scott's ear, but with the realization he's hiding stuff from her that, while she would have authorized it, didn't involve her, she probably is upset that he didn't jump when she told him to.

In regards to my second paragraph, I was referencing Emma being on the Cabal just to protect mutants and to try and get the best for mutants out of it. Norman sees her being there as just a mutant to use for his goals, as she is the highest ranking mutant who has a conflicting past until recently (Namor despite being a mutant is just a dick, not really being bad). At first she tries to keep her distance form how they run things, but she later realizes "hey, this isn't bad, he's doing things the way I would."

Also, Loki was a guy in Utopiain a panel with Doom. That was weird.
    As for the first paragraph, I'm not sure we're going to see eye to eye. I think the line would be read as either his people, or "his" people if she meant it the way you read it. I can sort of see Emma being pissed about Scott hiding stuff from her, and Scott keeps her more ruthless tendencies in check I would say, so Emma might see this as a "I can finish this shit quick and dirty, and be done with it." but in the same issue, Scott and Emma held hands when they saw Norman Osborn was coming.

I don't think she's in it to have more of a hand in mutantkind because she pretty much has it. She can make decisions just as well as Scott can. Even if she "replaced" Scott as the figurehead of Mutantdom, what would change? Nothing. If that's Fraction's angle, I disagree with it.

The Loki thing makes sense if you read Thor. Loki doesn't have Sif's body anymore. I mean, he could probably take the female form anytime he wants (Master of Illusion, and all) but Doom and he are bros.

And just you wait until Jean is ressurected and there is acceptable art of her. I will resume my mantle of pride!

Faynor on
  • Options
    KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    At any rate, did anyone read Thor? It was fantastic. I really wish JMS and Coipel could pump it out more often, because it really is awesome in a can.
    Hate to break it to you but JMS is off of the title here in a few months. Probably more bad blood at Marvel.

KyleWPeterson on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I called it on Runaways #11:
    Old Lace died, a unmanned recon planed crashed into the beach house while the "adults" were having a senior prom. Klara freaks out, and covers the house in her plants. The death felt more like "I don't want to write her, so let's just kill her off."

Immonen's first issue was ok, but more rough than Moore's was. There were also some kind of meta moments, like Nico calling Xavin a "him" and Karolina correcting her as a "she", it felt like something to please those people who got all upset Moore had Xavin as a man his first issue. Pichelli's art is good (she would be really good on Teen Titans) but the team looks to be in their 20's now save Klara and Molly. Victor looked completely different to past rendering. And Nico has big boobs again.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    At any rate, did anyone read Thor? It was fantastic. I really wish JMS and Coipel could pump it out more often, because it really is awesome in a can.
    Hate to break it to you but JMS is off of the title here in a few months. Probably more bad blood at Marvel.

Oh well. Quality will probably dip, but hopefully speed will go up correspondingly.

That spoiler enrages me, Texiken.

Faynor on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Please Marvel, get Fraction or Oeming to write Thor from now on.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As long as it's not someone who'll have Thor spouting off shit like "Thou art a bitch." (I'm looking at you, Slott.)

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I say Mark Waid. Then put Patrick Zircher on as artist, the book will be monthly, and I would buy it.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    JLA #34:

The Shadow Cabinet arc that's been going on for a while ended this month. I wasn't too keen on it at the beginning, but the characters have slowly been growing on me. I'm to the point now where I actually really like the current lineup of JLA: Dr. Light, Firestorm, Zatana, John Stewart. Really the only character I don't care for is Vixen, and that's because she's still completely fucking useless. Also, I really like the Shadow Cabinet heroes: Icon, and Hardware. And finally, the Bruce Wayne alternate reality character of Paladin is still cool as hell. I really hope McDuffie keeps Paladin around.

Paladin also had a really sweet line in this issue:
    Firestorm: You killed him?
    Paladin: I did.
    John Stewart: With a bullet.
    Paladin: With a bullet made of Lutetium, it weighs about 70 pounds. And my revolver is a Rail Gun.
    Hardware: Can I see it?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    McDuffie won't be keeping anyone around!

Nah, but seriously, I think this was the last issue from his pen. Is it Len Wein on filler until Robinson's mini ends? Then Robinson will be taking the League. And from my understanding, his team is a bit more classical.

Also, I really love Dr. Light, and Robinson has been using her constantly in Superman (plus she's popped up a few times in the other Superbooks since New Krypton), so I hope she sticks around.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How was Immortal Iron Fist this week?

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought Dark Wolverine was actually pretty awesome, especially the scene of Gargan
    All venomed out one step from eating Dakens head until he hears Sentry tell him to stop

Though that pheremone power is possibly one of the stupidest things Ive ever seen.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Though that pheremone power is possibly one of the stupidest things Ive ever seen.

Musk-Rat: Son of Wolverine.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I finished off the pull list at the store before 9:00.

Algertman on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How was Immortal Iron Fist this week?

Sadly, pretty underwhelming. The art was very inconsistent, and the pacing made it obvious that Swierczynski was trying to wrap things up in a hurry. All in all, a very inauspicious end for one of Marvel's most consistent books.

Munch on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought Dark Wolverine was actually pretty awesome, especially the scene of Gargan
    All venomed out one step from eating Dakens head until he hears Sentry tell him to stop

I think it's a good thing. If Daken was able to seduce women and manipulate men without the aid of a power, he'd seem like too much of a Mary Sue.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    McDuffie won't be keeping anyone around!

Nah, but seriously, I think this was the last issue from his pen. Is it Len Wein on filler until Robinson's mini ends? Then Robinson will be taking the League. And from my understanding, his team is a bit more classical.

Also, I really love Dr. Light, and Robinson has been using her constantly in Superman (plus she's popped up a few times in the other Superbooks since New Krypton), so I hope she sticks around.

I thought McDuffie had stories for JLA planned out like 2 years in advance? That's why he's always pissed when he's given all these editorial mandates. . . because it screws up his story?

And I agree about Dr. Light. I never really knew much about her until this current arc and the current Superman stuff, but between the two of those, she is rapidly becoming one of my favorite DC characters.

What else is she in? Are there any other good stories that feature her?

Lucascraft on
This discussion has been closed.