As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I think I have mono.

FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Looks like I contracted it from this girl I am seeing. She has never had it but her boyfriend before me has and the internet leads me to believe that this means she is probably a carrier.

I am suffering from incredible fatigue, when it first started to set in I slept for almost forty hours, with like, an hour or three of wakefulness in-between after I woke up for water or peeing. I've also got a pretty bad fever if I don't dose with Tylenol, nausea that comes and goes, and I threw up this morning. Got some gnarly tonsillitis/swollen lymph nodes going on in the back of my throat, and the lymph nodes in my armpits are all swollen too.

I am not dead yet even though I kind of wish I was, and I don't have health insurance or the money for a doctor right now. Is there any horrible ailment [besides mono] that might be just waiting to kill me that has all these symptoms?

I already know about the spleen thing, I am just trying to figure out if I am going to die because my intestines are plotting mutiny somehow or something.

Fagatron on

• Aoi TsukiAoi Tsuki Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Do you have parents, friends, or other sentient beings within a phone call or e-mail? If so, doctor. Now.

Even if it's "just" mono...get to the goddamn doctor. In the meantime, don't do anything more strenuous than eating and drinking and/or staggering back to bed.

Aoi Tsuki on
  • Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Doctor! Now!

Even if it is a free clinic type situation. I got mono, lost thirty lbs in a week. Came within a few days of organ failure. Nasty, nasty, nasty shit.

I have like three memories from a month long period. Everything else is blank. Seriously f'd me up. Not something to play around with.

Kerbob97 on
  • FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There aren't really any free clinics here and I have a grand total of $6 in savings.

From what I gather there's no cure for mono aside from "Sit it out and hope your spleen doesn't asplode." so I don't really see the point. I've been keeping food and fluids in me so far so the weight loss shouldn't be a problem yet.

Fagatron on
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Where are you located?

Depending on your financial situation, some hospitals and/or states will suck up the cost of a hospital visit. I was hospitalized last year for three weeks while I was unemployed and had no savings. I ended up owing nothing in the end. This was my particular experience in Massachusetts, and let me stress, this may not be true for you, but your life isn't something to mess around with.

Omnicron9999 on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fagatron wrote: »
    Looks like I contracted it from this girl I am seeing. She has never had it but her boyfriend before me has and the internet leads me to believe that this means she is probably a carrier.

Be thankful mono's the only thing you got.

They have tests for those. Get tested tested once, then again the week later if it shows up negative (mono takes a while to read positive in such tests)

Also get tested for std's. Play it safe. Flu like symptoms and chronic fatigue are symptoms of the 'Magic Johnson.'

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Take it from someone who didn't go to a doctor when they got mono...go to a doctor. Doesn't matter if you don't have insurance, you need to go.

I put it off and before I knew it, I was in the emergency room and ended up staying overnight with an IV stuck in me, which obviously costed more than a doctor's visit.

How are your glands? Is there swelling underneath your jaw? The fatigue is cause for concern regardless of if it turns out to be mono, but seriously, you should see someone. Is there no way you can borrow money from a friend or family member, or set up a payment plan with your doctor? Mono can wreck some terrible damage if you just try to wait it out and it ends up becoming worse.

Edit:
    From what I gather there's no cure for mono aside from "Sit it out and hope your spleen doesn't asplode." so I don't really see the point. I've been keeping food and fluids in me so far so the weight loss shouldn't be a problem yet.

This is also a terrible mindset. As Kerbob pointed earlier, mono can lead to organ failure in extreme conditions. Don't just think mono is something like a common cold, it can get very serious.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Get tested at a free clinic if you've got access to one, but know that if your spleen isn't swollen the doctor is just going to recommend plenty of rest and staying hydrated (what you're already doing) Avoid sugar as it encourages bacteria growth in your mouth, and make some tea with honey and lemon juice.

I just went through this exact same thing, but have easy access to cheap clinics. Good luck.

Pojaco on
    edited June 2009
    Mykonos wrote: »

Be thankful mono's the only thing you got.

They have tests for those. Get tested tested once, then again the week later if it shows up negative (mono takes a while to read positive in such tests)

Also get tested for std's. Play it safe. Flu like symptoms and chronic fatigue are symptoms of the 'Magic Johnson.'

Nah man, everything else is good on that front. We have both been tested for the usual suspects and by "girl I have been seeing" I meant "girl I have been dating for the past two months."

Toefoo wrote: »
    How are your glands? Is there swelling underneath your jaw? The fatigue is cause for concern regardless of if it turns out to be mono, but seriously, you should see someone. Is there no way you can borrow money from a friend or family member, or set up a payment plan with your doctor? Mono can wreck some terrible damage if you just try to wait it out and it ends up becoming worse.

Swollen as fuck but not much I can really do about that. How can I tell if all my organs are betraying me? I guess I will see if I can find a way to see a doctor but when I say there is no money there is no money.

Pojaco wrote: »
    Get tested at a free clinic if you've got access to one, but know that if your spleen isn't swollen the doctor is just going to recommend plenty of rest and staying hydrated (what you're already doing) Avoid sugar as it encourages bacteria growth in your mouth, and make some tea with honey and lemon juice.

I just went through this exact same thing, but have easy access to cheap clinics. Good luck.

Which is why I haven't done anything yet. Why see a doctor when they are just going to charge me for a test that confirms the obvious and instruct me to do what I'm already doing?

Worst part about this is that I'm expecting a call from my recruiter in the near future about going to MEPS there's been so many fucking setbacks already, this is not welcome. D:

Fagatron on
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Swollen as fuck but not much I can really do about that. How can I tell if all my organs are betraying me? I guess I will see if I can find a way to see a doctor but when I say there is no money there is no money.

To the best of my knowledge, the only way you can tell is from a doctor's visit or pain in certain areas. I definitely know how it goes with having medical issues without having insurance or money, so if you really REALLY can't go right now, all I can really recommend is: lots of rest, no physical activities, lots of fluids, and acetaminophen.

Again, I extremely recommend seeing a doctor due to my experience, but if you really can't then you need to do your best with conserving energy and keeping yourself well hydrated (Gatorade is great, in my anecdotal opinion). I'm also not a doctor, so again please be careful.

Hope it works out, mono is not fun at all.

Edit: Just realized my Gatorade recommendation conflicts with Pojaco's experience (Gatorade has a decent amount of sugar) but it's what worked for me.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Go to the hospital. They should have a financial assistance office that can wipe all or most costs off your record that you can talk to after the fact.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009

To the best of my knowledge, the only way you can tell is from a doctor's visit or pain in certain areas. I definitely know how it goes with having medical issues without having insurance or money, so if you really REALLY can't go right now, all I can really recommend is: lots of rest, no physical activities, lots of fluids, and acetaminophen.

Again, I extremely recommend seeing a doctor due to my experience, but if you really can't then you need to do your best with conserving energy and keeping yourself well hydrated (Gatorade is great, in my anecdotal opinion). I'm also not a doctor, so again please be careful.

Hope it works out, mono is not fun at all.

Edit: Just realized my Gatorade recommendation conflicts with Pojaco's experience (Gatorade has a decent amount of sugar) but it's what worked for me.

I've just been drinking a loooooot of water.

Fagatron on
  • SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I had it just a few months ago and wish I hadn't gone to the doctor, waste of money if the advice is get rest and alternate tylenol and ibuprofren for pain relief. The pain in my tonsils was so bad I damn near wanted to reach in and cut them out myself. But I only lost about 5 lbs because I was able to down enough chicken broth at the peak of pain relief by the drugs to keep myself going. As it came and went it was about a week.

Oh also no physical exercise (cardio - 4 weeks, contact sports - 8 weeks (this is what the doc told me)) or else your spleen could burst. Yeah that wouldn't be pleasant.

Simpsonia on
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There isn't a whole lot a doctor is going to do unless the mono gets serious.

Watch for white plaques on the swollen stuff in the back of your mouth. Bacterial superinfections are very common and you may need antibiotics.

Also, if you feel like your tonsils and adenoids are sticking into your throat to a noticeable degree go to a doctor. You will likely be given some steroids to shrink your swollen glands. Technically steroids suppress your immune system and you will likely be sick an extra day or two but breathing is more important.

All I ate for about a week was soft serve ice cream (was living in the dorms at the time).

Best quote ever was from the doctor at the student health service "Avoid alcohol, falling down and getting hit by a car." wtf, are there people out there that don't try to avoid falling down and being hit by cars when they don't have mono?

Also your sleep schedule will likely get completely messed up. I got to the point where I was sleeping for 3-4 hours and then up for 1 hour. I second the advice to take it easy even after you are starting to feel better and not sleeping 20 hours a day.

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • NoquarNoquar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mono is not always cut and dry. It is not always a couple month even. I had mono for two years, yes - 2 years. No contact sports, tons of fatigue, swollen spleen. It was not fun by any stretch, and they would bring me now and then to do a scan on my spleen and a checkup to make sure things would not go downhill.

In the end though; your life, your health, your money. Your choice.

Noquar on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dude, if you can pay for rent, internet access, and a computer to post this on, you can pay a small fee over months for your goddamn health.

Go to the Doctor. Even if it is expensive, go to the Doctor. Your health has to come first. Without it you can't work, live, or anything. Worry about the cost after the fact, you can always find more money, you can't find more life.

Enc on
    edited June 2009
    Enc wrote: »
    Dude, if you can pay for rent, internet access, and a computer to post this on, you can pay a small fee over months for your goddamn health.

Go to the Doctor. Even if it is expensive, go to the Doctor. Your health has to come first. Without it you can't work, live, or anything. Worry about the cost after the fact, you can always find more money, you can't find more life.

You should stop assuming things. I've been unemployed since August, until March I was looking for work and running my own small business of sorts to make what little money I could. All my savings were gone by November, I was homeless the first two months of the year, and all the business I was doing has dried up since as people's wallets have shrunk. Moved back in with my parents in March on the condition that I was joining the Army, that's already taken about two months longer than it was supposed to.

Called the "Clinics" up here. Cheapest I'm going to be able to get anything done is $80 plus diagnostic fees. I don't have that much money, my parents don't have that much money, and even if they did they are kind of douchey and probably would not loan it to me.

Fagatron on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are you ignoring the people telling you that most hospitals have financial aid for people in your situation?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited June 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Are you ignoring the people telling you that most hospitals have financial aid for people in your situation?

No, I just haven't gotten to that yet as I feel real bad about getting healthcare via a method that's extremely draining on the hospital and state government.

Gonna see if I can scrape together the money for a trip down to San Francisco first, there's a clinic down there that is actually free that I used when I was homeless.

Fagatron on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

No, I just haven't gotten to that yet as I feel real bad about getting healthcare via a method that's extremely draining on the hospital and state government.

Gonna see if I can scrape together the money for a trip down to San Francisco first, there's a clinic down there that is actually free that I used when I was homeless.

Who do you think funds the free clinic down in SF?

Figgy on
    edited June 2009

Who do you think funds the free clinic down in SF?

Donors and the Medical School down the way for the resources, doctors volunteer their time.

Fagatron on
    edited June 2009

:/ The reason we set tax money aside IS so people like you can get service. Hospitals also have to write off a certain amount of costs per year, anyway.

Nobody is going to think you are a leech and if anybody does, they're not human.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009
    So I called the clinic in San Francisco and they told me that the soonest appointment they had available was next week, when I told them that I thought I had mono receptionist freaked out and insisted that I get in at one of two other clinics before then. I looked into them but they are both walk-in places and I can't really spend the money driving down to San Francisco if I am not guaranteed what I am seeking.

So I called them back, said that I'd really just like an appointment with them and if it gets worse I'll seek medical attention elsewhere before then. She put me on hold like three different times and suddenly instead of next week the soonest appointment they can schedule me for is July 9th and I am pretty sure they are just trying to make me go someplace else because she immediately referred me to the other places again.

I think I'll go up and see my uncle tonight, he used to be a physician's assistant, and if he thinks I need to I'll see if the hospital can help me out without spending more money I don't have, I am not optimistic about this.

Fagatron on
    edited June 2009
    This is insane. You are very clearly ill and you very clearly need medical attention.

By some odd, backward, retarded line of reasoning, you don't want to turn to a system that is put in place to help people in your exact situation.

How many more people need to tell you that your LIFE IS POSSIBLY IN DANGER before you go to the fucking hospital?

Simple solution that doesn't involve you waiting around like an idiot and possibly dying:

Walk in there. Tell them you think you have mono. Tell them you can't afford to pay for the visit but you fear for your health.

Figgy on
    edited June 2009
    This is insane. You are very clearly ill and you very clearly need medical attention.

By some odd, backward, retarded line of reasoning, you don't want to turn to a system that is put in place to help people in your exact situation.

How many more people need to tell you that your LIFE IS POSSIBLY IN DANGER before you go to the fucking hospital?

Simple solution that doesn't involve you waiting around like an idiot and possibly dying:

Walk in there. Tell them you think you have mono. Tell them you can't afford to pay for the visit but you fear for your health.

Except I don't really fear for my life? I have a pretty goddamn good idea what is going on with my body and know about the complications that I need to be watching for. Medical reassurance that everything's going to be okay would be nice, but while I feel like death, I know I'm not dying. I haven't even lost any weight yet. I'm not even in any real pain besides the fact that my tonsils feel like they've achieved sentience and are seeking freedom from my throat via burrowing. Acetaminophen fixes that and the fever, lots of rest and fluid seems to be taking care of me besides that.

Fagatron on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Except I don't really fear for my life?

except that you should? i know that you're confident about your self-diagnosis mixed with internet doctorin' but you really should at least TRY to seek the most immediate medical attention possible. better safe than sorry and all that.

mensch-o-matic on
    edited June 2009
    Except I don't really fear for my life?

except that you should? i know that you're confident about your self-diagnosis mixed with internet doctorin' but you really should at least TRY to seek the most immediate medical attention possible. better safe than sorry and all that.
    Are you saying he should fear for his life? Why? And what if he already is safe, and going to the doctor will make him sorry. If he takes a turn for the worse it could be worth it but unless the doctor finds something wrong with his spleen he'll be told to keep doing what he's doing.

Pojaco on
    edited June 2009
    Twinge of pain in my chest in a roughly spleenish location earlier, nothing since then. Having someone drive me to the ER tomorrow to make sure nothing has gone horribly wrong and to see if/how fast I can get on MediCal since I am definitely not going to be on TriCare for another two months.

Fagatron on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You can't evaluate your risk IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE. These symptoms could point to something fatal. If you do have mono, you could sustain serious, potentially fatal organ damage, or asphyxiate depending on how your respiration gets.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
    edited June 2009
    kaliyama wrote: »
    You can't evaluate your risk IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE. These symptoms could point to something fatal. If you do have mono, you could sustain serious, potentially fatal organ damage, or asphyxiate depending on how your respiration gets.

If the doctors say I don't have mono tomorrow I will eat my hat.* Potentially fatal organ damage and asphyxiation do not just happen without warning. However, pain in my side, going to doctor. It'll put my girlfriend at ease at least.

*when I am no longer horribly ill

Fagatron on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are there any urgent care clinics around you? Free clinics? Anything but the ED?

Fats on
    edited June 2009
    Well, what used to be the free clinic is apparently charging $100 for an appointment now, and the urgent care is like $80. That's without any diagnostics or follow up appointments. ER will likely be cheaper, especially if they can get me on MediCal.

Fagatron on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    You are living with your parents. Avoiding personal details, I can't believe they haven't noticed you sleeping in excess of even the greatest slackers known to man. Cost is one thing, but do you really think they wouldn't foot the bill for this? Besides ensuring you are as fit as possible for your future job, it's not "douchey" to deny offspring money for potentially life-saving medical help. It's fucking inhuman.

I don't know your relationship with your parents, but (assuming they can afford it) would they really deny you the money? If cost is a burden, that would be my advice.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You should make sure and get some sort of doctors note if you think that this will interfere with your recruiter. Just as proof that you're really not well.

Ponge on
    edited June 2009
    So I went to the doctor.

When I finally got in (Emergency Room) he said he thought it was probably strep just because of how goddamn swollen my tonsils are, but that it was weird that there was no spotting. Did a strep culture and a mono spot. Quick culture came back negative and the doctor was all "Yeah so we will wait for the second one and call you with a prescription for antibiotics if it's positive --- oh wait mono spot just came back you have mono." Then he was all "Welp I would explain this to you but you knew what you had when you came in and you seem to know all this stuff anyway don't get punched in the spleen and keep doing exactly what you are doing m'kay? Also here is this prescription for horse ibuprofen."

You guys suck at advice. Now I have to figure out this shit with MediCal to keep the ER Bill from rising up and strangling me to death in addition to being sick. Only possibly beneficial thing that came of this is now I have a doctor's note that says I have mono if I get the call too soon.

Fagatron on
    edited June 2009
    No, you didn't know you had mono. Now you know for sure and aren't going to half ass it. You were hoping it wasn't so you get into the military faster, except it will always be waiting for you so you might as well wait it out.

FyreWulff on
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    No, you didn't know you had mono. Now you know for sure and aren't going to half ass it. You were hoping it wasn't so you get into the military faster, except it will always be waiting for you so you might as well wait it out.

No, I'm pretty sure that I was going to do exactly what I am doing. Getting into the military does me no good if my spleen ruptures during Basic because I didn't tell anyone I had mono. In fact I'd be a lot worse off because then I have a contract that's no good anymore because even if they don't hang me for lying about shit I'm probably not going to complete Basic or make AIT at my scheduled date with an asploded spleen. Not to mention there's no way I'm passing a physical at MEPS until my tonsils aren't the size of plums anyway.

Thanks for knowing me better than me though bro.

Fagatron on
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know how things work there, but when my husband almost drowned a couple months ago they reduced the medical bill A LOT, down to $200 because we don't have insurance. And they are letting us pay in $25 increments a month. Unfortunately the ambulance is raping us for an $800+ fee for driving him a couple of miles. No reduction for not having insurance and they want $50 a month, non-negotiable.

Anyway, what I am trying to say is they should have some kind of social worker you can talk to in the hospital that will make the fees really low.

Thylacine on
    edited June 2009
    So I went to the doctor.

When I finally got in (Emergency Room) he said he thought it was probably strep just because of how goddamn swollen my tonsils are, but that it was weird that there was no spotting. Did a strep culture and a mono spot. Quick culture came back negative and the doctor was all "Yeah so we will wait for the second one and call you with a prescription for antibiotics if it's positive --- oh wait mono spot just came back you have mono." Then he was all "Welp I would explain this to you but you knew what you had when you came in and you seem to know all this stuff anyway don't get punched in the spleen and keep doing exactly what you are doing m'kay? Also here is this prescription for horse ibuprofen."

You guys suck at advice. Now I have to figure out this shit with MediCal to keep the ER Bill from rising up and strangling me to death in addition to being sick. Only possibly beneficial thing that came of this is now I have a doctor's note that says I have mono if I get the call too soon.
    I totally win this thread. Told ya.

At least you got a script though, that's a little something. Here's to good health (raises Lazy Boy IPA to you)

Pojaco on
  • datachomperdatachomper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're all ignoring the real problem here. Dump the whore who obviously put your life in danger without even flinching. Wear a hockey vest when you do though, in case she punches ya in the spleen.

datachomper on
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You're all ignoring the real problem here. Dump the whore who obviously put your life in danger without even flinching. Wear a hockey vest when you do though, in case she punches ya in the spleen.

You can get mono other ways that kissing, I got it from sharing a drink with a family member. But, even if she did get it from her ex, it has an incubation period of 1 to 2 months...that means 1 to 2 months before you show any symptoms. They've only been dating about 2 months, and they could've been 'fooling around' before that. It's very possible she got it from her ex and passed it onto him, some people are fortunate enough to not have symptoms from it.

EDIT: I'm very tired...I think I may have missed the sarcasm in that post. ;-)

Thylacine on