As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games that Suck - UNpopular games that you loved, for some unholy reason

• SteamedBROCCOLISteamedBROCCOLI Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Simpsons Road Rage was one of my favorite games during my childhood. Especially with a friend just destroying everything.

SteamedBROCCOLI on
    ITS A PARTY IN THE USA
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    These threads come up, and I always say that my love for dinosaurs is so great, that I am willing to forgive how terrible any Turok game may be, so long as I can shoot dinosaurs with a bow.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I enjoyed Academy's single player more than I did Outcast's.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »
    I loved playing Deus ex Invisible wars and its one of my favourite games ever. I don't think ts better then the first but I still love it.

This too! We can be terrible together.

I War did deliver something unique as well, it's the only game I can name off hand that allows the player the opportunity to hunt down and butcher a bunch of cowering school children.

I can't remember exactly why anymore, but at least one of them had it coming.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about that sidequest.

Man if it were more popular the media would have had a field day with that.

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Enter the Matrix

I don't know, I really liked it for some reason. I was totally into the matrix at the time (although I thought the second one had been a bit shit, I think that's around the time this one came out)

I dunno, it seemed really badass, I loved all the melee disarm takedowns, it was a bit like max payne but with more jumpy moves. Me and my friends all loved it, we'd hang out at each others houses taking turns.
    I even got my brother (who's really not a gamer) to play through the whole game with me, taking turns on alternate levels.

SO there you go. If I played it again now I think I'd see how shit it was, but at the time? What a classy video game.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thejazzmanthejazzman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Enter the Matrix

I don't know, I really liked it for some reason. I was totally into the matrix at the time (although I thought the second one had been a bit shit, I think that's around the time this one came out)

I dunno, it seemed really badass, I loved all the melee disarm takedowns, it was a bit like max payne but with more jumpy moves. Me and my friends all loved it, we'd hang out at each others houses taking turns.
    I even got my brother (who's really not a gamer) to play through the whole game with me, taking turns on alternate levels.

SO there you go. If I played it again now I think I'd see how shit it was, but at the time? What a classy video game.

thejazzman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZZ9 Plural Z AlphaZZ9 Plural Z Alpha Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My childhood was comprised of three games.
    Killer Instinct, Mutant League Football, AND MOTHERF***IN SHAQ FU!
    God when everyone bashes that game about its bad controls and horrible music or whatever, I just sit back and think of all the time I spent kicking ass as...what was his name? Fury? God, worst game of all time? SCREW YOU GUYS!

"Shaq Fu is often cited as one of the worst video games of all time. The reasons for this are mainly concentrated in three areas—poor hit detection, a plot and dialogue that strained the player's suspension of disbelief, and the perceived intention that O'Neal was included as an attempt to boost the game's popularity."
    Shut up, Wikipedia!

ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha on
    Blaklabel.png
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tenchu series. Not all of them got awful reviews, and yet most people seem to say it's Thief or Hitman with less style and atmosphere and bigger pixels. I say it's Thief or Hitman without the boring ass rules about no killing people, tedious treasure hunts, and sitting around waiting forever for the right moment to sneak by a dude.

DiscoZombie on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    One more.

I bought Mr Driller on XBLA.

And I like it.

I LOVED that game for the Dreamcast and had no idea it was in the XBLA.

I also had no idea that, according to Wikipedia, "Dig Dug" is Mr. Driller's father. Not only that, but there is a whole, insane, complex back story behind Dig Dug and Mr. Driller.
    Although Namco has officially given the character of the original Dig Dug the name Dig Dug, in other games where he makes an appearance, the protagonist goes by the name Taizo Hori, and is the father of Susumu Hori, the main character in the Mr. Driller series. He is also the ex-husband of Toby "Kissy" Masuyo, the heroine of Baraduke. His name is a pun on the Japanese phrase "Horitai zo" (掘りたいぞ) or "I want to dig!" Many American gamers learned of his real name via the the Nintendo DS game Mr. Driller Drill Spirits, where he is also a playable character. He is additionally featured in an unlockable gallery of Mr. Driller items in Mr. Driller 2. In the Mr. Driller series, Hori is known as the "Hero of the Dig Dug Incident". In Japan, he is also the Hero of the South Island incident and is the honorary chairman of the Driller Council to whom most of the characters answer. This contrasts greatly with the PC remake Dig Dug Deeper, where the hero is simply named Dig Dug.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    These threads come up, and I always say that my love for dinosaurs is so great, that I am willing to forgive how terrible any Turok game may be, so long as I can shoot dinosaurs with a bow.
    This doesn't sound like a proper test of one's love of dinosaurs.
    Jp-trespasser-cover.png

Monger on
  • stlobusstlobus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd also like to throw my vote in for Deus Ex Invisible War. So what if it had universal ammo and less freedom than its predecessor for solving the game, it was still a good time.

Bought Conan for the PS3 for $10, have enjoyed every minute I've played of it. About halfway through it, but it's what I use when I really need to kill something.

I'll finish with Hellgate London. Was it the Diablo successor we were hoping for? Not even close. Was it everything that was promised? Hell no. Was it a fun hack and slash with an okay story? Yeah, it really was. I hope Namco-Bandai and Hanbitsoft (I think it's them) come to some sort of agreement and bring the US servers back up or someone finally figures out how to get it working via LAN.

stlobus on
    PSN/SEN: lobus Steam: stlobus XBox: St Lobus NNID: Lobus42
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I beat Quest 64 on the Nintendo 64...I was like 10 and was desperate for an RPG. I had fallen in love with Final Fantasy II (which was actually IV) and I didn't realize that all RPGs weren't so epic.

EDIT: The tough thing about finding out what terrible games you have loved is that when you played them you didn't know they were terrible. I remember loading probably 100+ hours into digimon world...apparently everybody hates that game, but as far as I am concerned no other monster raising/fighting game has been as fun. (I am looking at you too pokemon!)

AND WHEN YOU WON FIGHTS THE KID SHOUTED YATTA!

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • FattronicusFattronicus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I beat Quest 64 on the Nintendo 64...I was like 10 and was desperate for an RPG. I had fallen in love with Final Fantasy II (which was actually IV) and I didn't realize that all RPGs weren't so epic.

When I was 14 I let a kid I worked with at my first job borrow Quest 64. He never gave it back and I will never forget his name. One day I will find him and I will get my goddamn Quest 64 back. I don't care how terrible the story was. I don't care how stupid it was that there was no equipment. For some reason that game sucked me in and I honestly don't know why. I explored every nook and cranny I could, and this was immediately after I had beaten Chrono Trigger for the first time.

Fattronicus on
    76561197968482768.png
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Alone in the Dark! The franchise reboot one that came out 1 or 2 years back. I recommend this to everyone I know, I love it that much. I will never understand why everyone didn't like it, I thought it was fantastic. Innovative approach to genre blending, inventory management and puzzle solving, along with phenomenal graphics and a story that I really liked.

I am aware that some people had camera and control issues, but I played it on the PC with M+KB where, as always, these problems go away.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Army of Two. I just couldn't stop until I had pimped out as many guns as I could. Sure I eventually got bored and stopped playing, and never even finished the DLC missions, but man, pimping out guns was addictive. HAWX is generally considered pretty bad, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. The only flight game I've ever enjoyed.

Also Star Wars Lethal Alliance on PSP. As a third person shooter is controlled like complete ass. The graphics were ugly even for a PSP game. The story was nearly non-existent. But you played a hot Twi'lek mercenary. Sold.

-Loki- on
  • DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I remember loving Quest 64 when I was about that age. Throughout the whole game I kept expecting it to finally get better (gain an ally, etc.) and before long at all it just... ended.

Duffel on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Two Collective games:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    - Nailed atmosphere, combat was fun, really dug the vampire mechanic wherein you had to stake them or burn them to actually kill them. The sequel sucked though.

Indiana Jones & the Emperor's Tomb
    - it's more a testament to John Williams than anything, but every time you solved one of those ludicrously simple puzzles, the Raiders theme would soar and you'd feel like you should apply to fucking Mensa.

Right now, I'm playing the shit out of Ghostbusters and wishing the franchise would continue in kickass game form.

Ceno on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have an unnatural love for Harvest Moon games.

There. I said it.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thejazzman wrote: »
    Enter the Matrix

You know, I only played it the once, but the parts where it tied into the movie were so badass. Even though the game and movie both were pretty mediocre when it comes down to it.

Nova_C on
  • Redneck SithRedneck Sith Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen for PS1. Graphics were shoddy, and the story was incredibly convoluted (and don't even get me started on the elements of the later games, lol), but dammit, I loved the SHIT out of that game. If Link got turned into a pissed off vampire, this would be the resulting LoZ game.

Aww hell. I love the whole damn series to death, who am I kidding? I wish they'd make another instead of turning out crappy Tomb Raider games...

I also have to place my vote for Enter the Matrix, at the time I thought that game was so badass, as well as The Matrix Online. Still don't get how they managed to fuck that one up (although they succeeded quite spectacularly).

Redneck Sith on
    drdestroyer.jpg
    You are pure evil, and hate personified. You don't care anything about your fellow man, and are guided only by your desire to rule over your inferiors, i.e. everybody but you. 'Mercy,' you ask, prior to grinding an enemy beneath your mighty heel, 'What is mercy?'
    Take the quiz!
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    gjaustin wrote: »
    Far Cry 2
    Yes, the respawning gets annoying. Yes, the voice actors talkwaytoofast. Yes, the game is quite buggy. Yes, the first half of the game is much better than the second.

But the combination of stealth, fire, guns, and more fire were just incredible. I even enjoyed the fact that your guns could jam and break.

I never heard anyone say FC2 sucked. It may not have been a big success, but every review I read was generally positive. I have it for PC and I think it's a great game.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    For me? The dozens of games I own for the Wii. Somehow nobody considers the thing to have any good games except first party ones.

Games like SSX Blur, De Blob, Baroque, Dragon Quest Swords, Zack and Wiki...most are quite unpopular for some reason.

If someone can look at you and say with a straight face that De Blob is a bad game, you've just met a liar. It's a game not a lot of people give a chance but god damn is it good.

SirUltimos on
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've actually been trying to find Enter The Matrix on PC recently but it's not in the fucking bargain bins around here anymore. I bought it at the time and returned it on the grounds that it sucked, which it did, but I really want to play it again.

LaCabra on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've actually beaten Secret of Evermore. It turns out that the game is incredibly fucking easy if you know about the infinite Bazooka ammo.
    Yes, that's what the Magic Gourd is for.

But it's still a good game when I break out the Super Nintendo.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The more recent Mortal Kombats.

The gameplay is subpar, the animations are incredibly stiff and the storyline is atrocious, but I'll be damned if murdering your opponant in grisly ways doesn't make up for that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • TrebzTrebz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've got a couple:

Destroy All Humans! was stupid in the worst way. Its humor was basically people running around with anal probes and 1950s people referencing that they're from the 1950s in the least subtle ways possible. The story was very disconnected and a lot of the missions weren't very interesting to me. But I loved that game so much because of the havoc you could wreak on those idiotic 1950s stereotypes. You could make their heads explode. Vaporize them. And fly around on a jetpack while you did it. And then there's the flying saucer, which I thought was the best part of the game. You could fly around at your own leisure, picking off the people and animals running around like little ants and pick up tanks and fling them around like rocks. It was so destructively awesome.

Steambot Chronicles had a lot of charm to it and I loved the cell-shaded graphics on the Trotmobiles (not the environments, which were ugly as sin). The controls were kind of wonky for a little while but after that everything was smooth as butter and I loved that it was just so easy to customize your Trotmobile. The story and characters were kind of crap but it was still hella awesome to have a four-wheeled Trotmobile with cannons for arms. Something about that just got me everytime. And I am so buying the PSP game.

Trebz on
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Booya:

RoadRash64U.jpg

This game looked godawful. In fact, it looked like this WITH the RAM expansion pak:

road-rash-64-screenshot-002.jpg

But I'll be damned if spokejamming fools into oncoming semis doesn't still remain one of the most entertaining things ever in a game. I would love to see this game prettied up and ported, but there's a better chance of me riding a unicorn into Megan Fox's bedroom.

Halfmex on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I gotta say, although I never finished it, I quite liked Perfect Dark Zero. It was clumsily made, but it had a lot of awesome parts, and a great soundtrack to boot.

Speaking of Rare, was Kameo actually any good? I recently saw some footage of it, and, damn, that was a pretty game, considering it was a 360 launch title.
    Monger wrote: »
    I'm one of those gaming snobs who likes to pretend that the games he plays must have good marks in all areas. Dark Messiah has good marks in combat and graphics, but it utterly fails in the voice acting and plot department. I know for some combat and graphics are good enough, but I really pay attention to story in a game and how it's conveyed and presented to the player. This is the product of having a BA in English with a focus on fiction/creative writing.

Sidenote: I have a master's degree in English (and based my thesis on video game storytelling), and I fucking loved Dark Messiah :P

I won't argue against the story being dumb as shit, though.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Booya:

[I MG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Halfmex/RoadRash64U.jpg[/IMG]

This game looked godawful. In fact, it looked like this WITH the RAM expansion pak:

[IM G]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Halfmex/road-rash-64-screenshot-002.jpg[/IMG]

But I'll be damned if spokejamming fools into oncoming semis doesn't still remain one of the most entertaining things ever in a game. I would love to see this game prettied up and ported, but there's a better chance of me riding a unicorn into Megan Fox's bedroom.

Huh. One of my guilty pleasures was Road Rash 3D on the Playstation, which looked like this:

69801807.png

Not pretty by any means but at least they tried. I was actually impressed at the time. And there were some really crazy stunts you could pull off, I liked riding on cars, ramping off cars...

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hybrid Heaven!
    hybrid.jpg

A turn-based 1 on 1 fighter RPG. Nothing like running down endless hallways, suplexing everything in sight.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm pretty sure everyone who played Hybrid Heaven thought it was awesome. And if they didn't, they were doing it wrong.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I gotta say, although I never finished it, I quite liked Perfect Dark Zero. It was clumsily made, but it had a lot of awesome parts, and a great soundtrack to boot.

Speaking of Rare, was Kameo actually any good? I recently saw some footage of it, and, damn, that was a pretty game, considering it was a 360 launch title.

Kameo was amazing. Gameplay, graphics, soundtrack, the somewhat cheesy story, everything about it really felt right to me. The only real problems I had with it were that it was too short (it's only about 6-8 hours long if I remember correctly, and I was having way too much fun with it) and the final boss fight felt awkward with little creativity behind it compared to the rest of the game.

JONJONAUG on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Booya:

RoadRash64U.jpg

road-rash-64-screenshot-002.jpg

Oh man how could I forget about this one! It was fantastic.

That game was so much fun. It even had this superbike stunt mode where you'd have this really silly rolling terrain and a big ramp. No real stunts or anything, just flying through the skyyyy

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure everyone who played Hybrid Heaven thought it was awesome. And if they didn't, they were doing it wrong.

A thousand times, this.

Burnage on
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I <3 Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

The first time I was able to send a vamp flying across the room from a jumpkick and throw a stake through his chest before he hit the wall, I was addicted. This game is was the Bruce Lee game should have been. Just a great brawler. The second one did kinda suck in comparison though.

Also, Kung-fu Chaos.

It was so cheap hard that my friends and I had a great time trying to 100% this swearing and drinking heavily. Great multiplayer options here. The random level locations made you excited to get to the next stage.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ceno wrote: »
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    - Nailed atmosphere, combat was fun, really dug the vampire mechanic wherein you had to stake them or burn them to actually kill them. The sequel sucked though.

Oh heck yes. Never even bothered to play the 2nd Buffy game, but the original was one of those go-to examples of "licensed games that don't suck".

And speaking of vampires and whatnot, I was far too impressed by the Hunter: The Reckoning games (or at least the first one). It's Smash TV with zombies and blood and pretty (uh, at the time) graphics. What's not to if not love at least enjoy like the utter junk food that it is?

Lawndart on
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

There. I said it.

I have an unnatural love for the first Harvest Moon game on the SNES and that was all. I have played that game all the way through like 3 or 4 times, none of them 'perfect' but the one that was perfect that I almost finished was erased when I let a friend borrow it to play his file, and his brother erased mine.

I still buy like every other Harvest Moon game though...and get disappointed and only play for like 1.5 years.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I almost listed Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but then I remembered that it reviewed pretty well. Then again, it's worth mentioning since a lot of people could have skipped over it assuming that it was a typical lame movie tie-in game. Just make sure you get the oXBox exclusive game and not the mediocre multiplatform sequel.

Speaking of movie tie-in games that aren't bad, the 360 Kung Fu Panda was well worth the $5 it cost me.

RainbowDespair on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

There. I said it.

I have an unnatural love for the first Harvest Moon game on the SNES and that was all. I have played that game all the way through like 3 or 4 times, none of them 'perfect' but the one that was perfect that I almost finished was erased when I let a friend borrow it to play his file, and his brother erased mine.

I still buy like every other Harvest Moon game though...and get disappointed and only play for like 1.5 years.

I think the only Harvest Moon game that I was disappointed in was Innocent Life. All the rest, I've found some enjoyment in. Actually, I think Harvest Moon 64 and Friends of Mineral Town are my favorites.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I liked Harvest Moon 64 a lot but didn't find the other ones very fun.

Speed Racer on