As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games that Suck - UNpopular games that you loved, for some unholy reason

• Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Halfmex wrote: »
    Booya:

RoadRash64U.jpg

This game looked godawful. In fact, it looked like this WITH the RAM expansion pak:

road-rash-64-screenshot-002.jpg

But I'll be damned if spokejamming fools into oncoming semis doesn't still remain one of the most entertaining things ever in a game. I would love to see this game prettied up and ported, but there's a better chance of me riding a unicorn into Megan Fox's bedroom.

Oh man how could I forget about this one! It was fantastic.

That game was so much fun. It even had this superbike stunt mode where you'd have this really silly rolling terrain and a big ramp. No real stunts or anything, just flying through the skyyyy
    I still play this and it's still absolutely the best game to play with a bunch of dudes while you're havin' a chat.

Impressively enough, if you drive the wrong way along a track you find that all the tracks are in one huge world of country roads, highways and cities that you can drive along forever.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen for PS1. Graphics were shoddy, and the story was incredibly convoluted (and don't even get me started on the elements of the later games, lol), but dammit, I loved the SHIT out of that game. If Link got turned into a pissed off vampire, this would be the resulting LoZ game.

Aww hell. I love the whole damn series to death, who am I kidding? I wish they'd make another instead of turning out crappy Tomb Raider games...

To be fair, it was only convoluted if you hadn't finished it. If you rip Blood Omen 2 out of the series (since it wasn't written by Amy Hennig) and look at the story as a whole, it all makes sense and fits together.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anything that the company "The Adventure Company" has ever made that was not the Longest Journey
    I love their games, its not that they suck per say, its that NO ONE plays them.

Missing Since January especially

Also Sim City 4, i have a hard on for Sim City 4

Barcardi on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brutal Sports Football for the Atari Jaguar. Best sports game ever. Want to get the ball back from the other side? No problem. Chop off the runners head with an axe and you're golden.

damn shame that no one else liked that game.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love Resident Evil Survivor. It was the only Resident Evil game I owned that worked for awhile (lost the original, and Resident evil 2 didn't work despite no obvious scratches), and I played the crap outta it. Every scenario, every gun, I could beat that game rediculously fast.

never die on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    never die wrote: »
    I love Resident Evil Survivor. It was the only Resident Evil game I owned that worked for awhile (lost the original, and Resident evil 2 didn't work despite no obvious scratches), and I played the crap outta it. Every scenario, every gun, I could beat that game rediculously fast.

The light gun game? Hi-5!

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    TreTre Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    thejazzman wrote: »
    Enter the Matrix

I don't know, I really liked it for some reason. I was totally into the matrix at the time (although I thought the second one had been a bit shit, I think that's around the time this one came out)

I dunno, it seemed really badass, I loved all the melee disarm takedowns, it was a bit like max payne but with more jumpy moves. Me and my friends all loved it, we'd hang out at each others houses taking turns.
    I even got my brother (who's really not a gamer) to play through the whole game with me, taking turns on alternate levels.

SO there you go. If I played it again now I think I'd see how shit it was, but at the time? What a classy video game.

I also liked this game. I never understood why it received such negative reviews. Maybe because at the time The Matrix was the shit and people were expecting the game to be super awesome. Maybe I only enjoyed it because I loved The Matrix movies at the time. I could finally dodge bullets!

Also, Ninja Gaiden 2 is a game that seems to get a lot of hate around these parts, but I thought it was just as good, if not better than the first. I thought the weapons were way better and more fun to use than the weapons in the first game. Many say the enemies were just too cheap, but I loved the elation you felt when you got past a really tough encounter making you feel like a true ninja badass. I remember jumping off my couch screamin and thumpin my chest when I beat a horde of incindieary shuriken ninjas and huge spider ninja dudes on master ninja. I remember trying that fight like 50+ times before I won.

Tre on
  • Options
    wishdawishda Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh yes. The Buffy game.

The best brawler on any modern platform. Hard as hell in parts, but so rewarding.

wishda on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Oh, another one of these threads? I guess I get to pull this out again...

AdventRisingCover400.jpg

What's that? There's 5 aliens twice as tall as you? That's ok. Create a shield with your mind, and shoot one until he dies. Beat the shit out of the second one. The third? Jump on his back, break his neck, and while riding his carcass to the ground in slow motion, shoot his other two buddies in the face. Yes, it's that awesome.

You can also dual wield rocket launchers.

Ultimate badass.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TheFonzTheFonz Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Battle Engine Aquila. I thought this game was the shit and played the hell out of it, platinum starring every single level, until I showed it to a friend and was informed that it was just shit.

Looking back, I guess the only really cool thing about it was the fact that you could bomb the stuffing out of the enemy in your sleek battle plane and then land, crushing the tanks that survived your bombing while you turn into the badass spider tank and then unleash your AUGMENTED FLUX CANNON on the rest of the dicks that were still hanging around, only to take to the air yet again and loose your cruise missiles upon the enemy reinforcement fighters that showed up to try and take advantange of your momentary grounding.

...and now I want to play it again.

TheFonz on
    fourcrashers.jpg
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tre wrote: »
    thejazzman wrote: »
    Enter the Matrix

I don't know, I really liked it for some reason. I was totally into the matrix at the time (although I thought the second one had been a bit shit, I think that's around the time this one came out)

I dunno, it seemed really badass, I loved all the melee disarm takedowns, it was a bit like max payne but with more jumpy moves. Me and my friends all loved it, we'd hang out at each others houses taking turns.
    I even got my brother (who's really not a gamer) to play through the whole game with me, taking turns on alternate levels.

SO there you go. If I played it again now I think I'd see how shit it was, but at the time? What a classy video game.

I also liked this game. I never understood why it received such negative reviews. Maybe because at the time The Matrix was the shit and people were expecting the game to be super awesome. Maybe I only enjoyed it because I loved The Matrix movies at the time. I could finally dodge bullets!

Also, Ninja Gaiden 2 is a game that seems to get a lot of hate around these parts, but I thought it was just as good, if not better than the first. I thought the weapons were way better and more fun to use than the weapons in the first game. Many say the enemies were just too cheap, but I loved the elation you felt when you got past a really tough encounter making you feel like a true ninja badass. I remember jumping off my couch screamin and thumpin my chest when I beat a horde of incindieary shuriken ninjas and huge spider ninja dudes on master ninja. I remember trying that fight like 50+ times before I won.

got it through gamestop for 1.50. me and my friend were on a matrix nostalgia trip. we used to be pretty obsessed but then when the series was said and done we just dropped off. we beat the game in one sitting, and there is so much wrong with it. but for some reason we keep playing, just to get to the end.

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Did anyone else have to turn their playstation on its side to make it work? I'd turn it on its side and my idiot friends would come along and put it right side up but then put some game cases underneath it while I was in the bathroom for some stupid reason. Its like they couldn't understand "put it on its side to make it work"

Then I'd come back and they'd be all, "the playstation is on the fritz again." Then I'd just put my hands underneath it and flip it over like a pissed off father at thanksgiving dinner and school their asses at Bloody Roar.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Every Dynasty Warrior game. I like to listen to bad voice actors, leveling up and repetitive gameplay.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Deadly Arts. Supposedly awful fighter on N64. I suck at fighters, so I'm a bad judge of them. It probably did suck. However, I loved the very, very early but awesome create a fighter (you got to pick every move individually!).

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    HyperneticHypernetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    BRUTE FORCE!

I loved that game! For some odd reason I hadn't read any reviews or gamer feedback about it back then, so I just assumed it was a popular game (no idea why). Imagine my surprise when I tried to sell it to gamestop a couple months later and was told I would be given 3 dollars cash for it.

I don't normally sell or trade in games, in fact I haven't done so in many years, but back then I had fell on some self inflicted hard times and was forced to sell quite a bit of my games and consoles (among other things). I've bought back most of the stuff I had to sell back then though.

In case you are wondering, I didn't sell them the game for $3. I kept it and still have it to this day.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TABULA RASA.

When I first played the beta for this game, I could tell there were a lot of finicky things about it that kinda turned me off. The sad part is, I can't remember a single one, now, because they fixed all of them.

So many people played this and said "WoW is better," missing the play experience for what it was: a co-op, squad based shoot-em-up. The mechanics were rock solid in this game, and even if they didn't make literal sense (you still take some damage to your shield behind cover), they worked because they were play-balanced.

My buddies and I spent literal hours playing point defense, and the cool thing was, we weren't even really doing it to farm items or cash, we just wanted to make sure the Bane didn't take the point over again. Which was one of one of the cooler features of the game-- how the storyline and background lore for the game gave the player more of a sense of responsibility when it came to quests.

The whole thing really was smartly designed, but it failed because it didn't have what every misguided MMOer is looking for in their online games these days: raids and large scale PVP. Both of which would have worked well in the game had they been given another couple of years to create a playable Bane campaign. But since it had been in development for 6 years already at that point, I don't blame them for putting it out.

It really didn't deserve all the flak it got, and NCsoft well and truly fucked up when they shut it down. There was an opportunity for a revival with all the content they were releasing close to the shutdown, and a core usergroup of ~10,000 paying customers is certainly low compared to some games, but isn't anything to sneeze at.

Skexis on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Skexis wrote: »
    TABULA RASA.

When I first played the beta for this game, I could tell there were a lot of finicky things about it that kinda turned me off. The sad part is, I can't remember a single one, now, because they fixed all of them.

So many people played this and said "WoW is better," missing the play experience for what it was: a co-op, squad based shoot-em-up. The mechanics were rock solid in this game, and even if they didn't make literal sense (you still take some damage to your shield behind cover), they worked because they were play-balanced.

My buddies and I spent literal hours playing point defense, and the cool thing was, we weren't even really doing it to farm items or cash, we just wanted to make sure the Bane didn't take the point over again. Which was one of one of the cooler features of the game-- how the storyline and background lore for the game gave the player more of a sense of responsibility when it came to quests.

The whole thing really was smartly designed, but it failed because it didn't have what every misguided MMOer is looking for in their online games these days: raids and large scale PVP. Both of which would have worked well in the game had they been given another couple of years to create a playable Bane campaign. But since it had been in development for 6 years already at that point, I don't blame them for putting it out.

It really didn't deserve all the flak it got, and NCsoft well and truly fucked up when they shut it down. There was an opportunity for a revival with all the content they were releasing close to the shutdown, and a core usergroup of ~10,000 paying customers is certainly low compared to some games, but isn't anything to sneeze at.

How is wanting massive multiplayer content in my massive multiplayer online game "misguided"?

Is that not the whole point of an MMO?

I liked a lot of the ideas in TR, but it ultimately felt like a shell of a game. There have been quite a few MMOs that I saw potential in and really wanted to go on playing, but couldn't due to lack of content or motivation to do so. What you describe with the control points is more akin to a coop shooter than an MMORPG. Auto Assault is a good example, I really liked the premise, but when it came down to the actual game play it was really nothing more than a single player third person shooter with a chat room.

Obviously the 10k paying customers weren't enough to keep the game afloat either, if they were making a profit or even breaking even I'd think they would have kept it going. So I wouldn't be so quick to condemn NCSoft.

As for the WoW comparisons: I can't speak for anyone else officially, but I believe what most non-trolls mean when they say something like that is "This game doesn't have a big enough draw to take me away from the game I've invested years of my life into, developed a network of friends and acquaintances through, and which continues to introduce new and better content to keep me coming back". I recently quit WoW in the winter, most likely for good, but it was because I wanted to focus on improving my life situation and not because I found a better game.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    51PAXDMH2CL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I can see why it got panned in reviews: PN03 starts off really stodgy with a suit that fires off one single laser bolt every 3 seconds and no super moves which is no fun at all. Stick with it and it becomes more enjoyable with the better suits. If the game allowed some movement when shooting (oh Capcom...) and started you off with the Blackbird (the ultimate suit) I think it would have done a lot better, that's when the game really takes off but to get it you had to finish the game first :P For all its flaws I like it a lot especially the visual and sound design.

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hypernetic wrote: »
    How is wanting massive multiplayer content in my massive multiplayer online game "misguided"?

Not necessarily. But that's my gripe with the genre and WoW just happens to be the biggest offender. They tried to do something a little different with both this game and with Auto Assault, and everybody slammed on them for not being more of the same. =/
    Obviously the 10k paying customers weren't enough to keep the game afloat either, if they were making a profit or even breaking even I'd think they would have kept it going. So I wouldn't be so quick to condemn NCSoft.

Seeing as how Richard Garriott is suing them for putting him in a catch 22 with his stocks, I'm less apt to believe NCsoft's benign intentions towards this game. I think when it wasn't an initial hit like they wanted it to be, they put it in a stranglehold, causing fixes and new content to take longer. By the time March of '08 rolled around and the game was in a great, playable state, it's my belief that NCsoft had already given up on it and had no intentions of continuing it, but took the year so they could figure out where the staff at NCsoft Austin would be divvied up or let go. I think politics ruined it, which is sad given that it could have been a flag carrier for a bit of innovation in the mmo field.

Skexis on
  • Options
    ChubblyChubbly Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Legend of Mana. Critics were love it or hate it and I LOVED IT. The graphics, the music... everything. The story though, is what I love the most. I just loved how it made the world the story, not your trifling part in it. Like you weren't the Great Hero, but the catalyst, the behind the scenes man pushing this world. It is just such an awesome concept, I wish it was repeated. People are arrogant though, and like to think they're the centre of attention. My theory at least as why this game was so divided.

Chubbly on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Not necessarily. But that's my gripe with the genre and WoW just happens to be the biggest offender. They tried to do something a little different with both this game and with Auto Assault, and everybody slammed on them for not being more of the same. =/

I don't get what you mean. If it doesn't have massive raids, PVP, or similar content where a large group of players are doing RPG like activites, it's neither an MMO nor an RPG.

Auto Assault was really cool, and I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately it failed to deliver. As I said in my previous post, it ended up feeling like a single player game with a chat room tacked on to it. There was next to no motivation for player interaction, nor were there many quests/enemies that required a second player to defeat.

If all you want out of an MMO are things like the control points in TR, you'd probably be better off playing a regular shooter with a dedicated COOP mode than looking for it in an MMO. I don't think people slammed TR or AA for not being WoW with cars or WoW with space aliens. I think they slammed them for lacking some of the more basic conventions that make an MMO an MMO.

Seeing as how Richard Garriott is suing them for putting him in a catch 22 with his stocks, I'm less apt to believe NCsoft's benign intentions towards this game. I think when it wasn't an initial hit like they wanted it to be, they put it in a stranglehold, causing fixes and new content to take longer. By the time March of '08 rolled around and the game was in a great, playable state, it's my belief that NCsoft had already given up on it and had no intentions of continuing it, but took the year so they could figure out where the staff at NCsoft Austin would be divvied up or let go. I think politics ruined it, which is sad given that it could have been a flag carrier for a bit of innovation in the mmo field.

Fair enough.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    Green DestinyGreen Destiny Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    51PAXDMH2CL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I can see why it got panned in reviews: PN03 starts off really stodgy with a suit that fires off one single laser bolt every 3 seconds and no super moves which is no fun at all. Stick with it and it becomes more enjoyable with the better suits. If the game allowed some movement when shooting (oh Capcom...) and started you off with the Blackbird (the ultimate suit) I think it would have done a lot better, that's when the game really takes off but to get it you had to finish the game first :P For all its flaws I like it a lot especially the visual and sound design.

I saw this game new at Walmart for $14.99 in the bargain bin; I had never seen it before.

Green Destiny on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've owned, beat, and enjoyed every single 3d sonic game from Sonic Adventure 1, to Sonic Unleashed. Yes I even enjoyed Sonic Heroes and Shadow the hedgehog. Maybe it's nostalgia blinding me to the flaws, but I genuinely enjoyed them all.

Now excuse me while I go hide myself in shame

Zerokku on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Chubbly wrote: »
    Legend of Mana. Critics were love it or hate it and I LOVED IT. The graphics, the music... everything. The story though, is what I love the most. I just loved how it made the world the story, not your trifling part in it. Like you weren't the Great Hero, but the catalyst, the behind the scenes man pushing this world. It is just such an awesome concept, I wish it was repeated. People are arrogant though, and like to think they're the centre of attention. My theory at least as why this game was so divided.
    I think the reason LoM wasn't more popular was because it was so nonlinear and kind of conceptual (all the customization and stuff). Plus it was on the very tail end of the PS1 era; everybody was looking forward to what was going to happen on the Ps2 by that point. Also, to be quite honest the battle system was kind of lacking (magic was pointless, you could do all kinds of crazy combos and stuff but you could just as easily tap X over and over and do just as well).

Despite that, it's always been one of my favorite games (Second favorite Mana game after the original SoM, and just plain one of my favorite games period), but I didn't know if it was controversial enough for this topic. Such a beautiful art style. I doubt we'll ever see a game like that again.

The best way to describe it would probably be that it was like playing a really good children's storybook. It had that indescribable, timeless quality to it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I don't get what you mean. If it doesn't have massive raids, PVP, or similar content where a large group of players are doing RPG like activites, it's neither an MMO nor an RPG.

If all you want out of an MMO are things like the control points in TR, you'd probably be better off playing a regular shooter with a dedicated COOP mode than looking for it in an MMO. I don't think people slammed TR or AA for not being WoW with cars or WoW with space aliens. I think they slammed them for lacking some of the more basic conventions that make an MMO an MMO.

The player interaction in Tabula Rasa (aside from instances and questing together) came out of the periodic Bane raids. It was interesting to me to see a game with trenches and battle lines, where PVE became a dynamic experience. The tendency is for people to think the only interesting thing about an MMO is having a human opposite you that you fight to the death. If this same thought were applied to FPS games we'd never have gotten anything past the original Unreal Tournament.

I was actually thanked multiple times by players who appreciated that I was able to defend a point for them so that they could complete their quest. It was a completely different experience than playing in something like WoW, but few took the time to notice or care.

Skexis on
  • Options
    Home Run KingHome Run King Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I think the reason LoM wasn't more popular was because it was so nonlinear and kind of conceptual (all the customization and stuff). Plus it was on the very tail end of the PS1 era; everybody was looking forward to what was going to happen on the Ps2 by that point.

It's always been one of my favorite games (Second favorite Mana game after the original SoM, and just plain one of my favorite games period), but I didn't know if it was controversial enough for this topic. Such a beautiful art style. I doubt we'll ever see a game like that again.

The best way to describe it would probably be that it was like playing a really good children's storybook. It had that indescribable, timeless quality to it.

Legend of Mana is one of my favorite games ever. Describing it as like playing a children's storybook is a pretty perfect way to capture its style and feeling. I do think a lot of the hate came from its non-linearity - I remember lots of people complaining about it having no plot when it first came out. I think LoM has a pretty nice plot (three of them, actually), but you do have to go through a bunch of random unrelated quests to get to them. Thankfully, a lot of those random quests were pretty fun and interesting, the combat was fun, and there was a ridiculous amount of customization stuff to do (blacksmithing, golems, pets, etc).

Home Run King on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »
    I've owned, beat, and enjoyed every single 3d sonic game from Sonic Adventure 1, to Sonic Unleashed. Yes I even enjoyed Sonic Heroes and Shadow the hedgehog. Maybe it's nostalgia blinding me to the flaws, but I genuinely enjoyed them all.

I'm going to eventually get Sonic the Hedgehog for Wii. The infamous one.

The one where he reportedly falls in love with a human.

Green Destiny on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

That one's not on the Wii.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Frontlines: Fuel of War.

For me, the weapons and background were plausable enough to make for a slightly disturbing shooter. All the tanks, guns, and 'bots are actually based on Landwarrior 2K stuff the Army's working on and the 'bots especially were fun to control.

And the background was interesting. Seeing all the rot and decay around you, made me really feel like, yeah, I'm fighting over the last barrels of oil left in the world and we're still probably going to die when our nations collapse anyways.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    edited June 2009

That one's not on the Wii.

Ohh. :(

Green Destiny on
  • Options
    Fatal3RR0RFatal3RR0R Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Shadowfire wrote: »

AdventRisingCover400.jpg

What's that? There's 5 aliens twice as tall as you? That's ok. Create a shield with your mind, and shoot one until he dies. Beat the shit out of the second one. The third? Jump on his back, break his neck, and while riding his carcass to the ground in slow motion, shoot his other two buddies in the face. Yes, it's that awesome.

*Awesome vid goes here*

A thousand times this!

While it really wasn't what I was expecting it was still so awesome.

A thousand times this!

Fatal3RR0R on
    peachip4sig.png
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh Sonic 06. That one is not for the wii. And I had actually forgotten it. I partially retract my statement. I've enjoyed every single one except Sonic 06. There are no words to describe how fucking awful that game was.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    D&D Tactics for the PSP.

The interface stinks on ice. But damn if I didn't slog through it for 6 playthroughs.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    I think the reason LoM wasn't more popular was because it was so nonlinear and kind of conceptual (all the customization and stuff). Plus it was on the very tail end of the PS1 era; everybody was looking forward to what was going to happen on the Ps2 by that point.

It's always been one of my favorite games (Second favorite Mana game after the original SoM, and just plain one of my favorite games period), but I didn't know if it was controversial enough for this topic. Such a beautiful art style. I doubt we'll ever see a game like that again.

Legend of Mana is one of my favorite games ever. Describing it as like playing a children's storybook is a pretty perfect way to capture its style and feeling. I do think a lot of the hate came from its non-linearity - I remember lots of people complaining about it having no plot when it first came out. I think LoM has a pretty nice plot (three of them, actually), but you do have to go through a bunch of random unrelated quests to get to them. Thankfully, a lot of those random quests were pretty fun and interesting, the combat was fun, and there was a ridiculous amount of customization stuff to do (blacksmithing, golems, pets, etc).

I do wish that the customization stuff had been a little less arcane. It was just entirely too complicated and none of it was properly explained within the game. But you didn't need it, really, so I didn't really care. IshePlatinum1hSword was enough to get you through the main storyline.

I also liked the "triple-main-story" design. In a regular RPG stuff like the Jumi would have been an insignificant little sidequest that would have taken up about an hour's worth of game time while you were collecting macguffins to fight the Big Bad, but in LoM we got to see it explored much more in-depth; meanwhile, the conflict between Daena, Irwin and Matilda was one of the few hard choices I've ever had to make in a video game (certainly up to that point). The dragoon/drakonis arc was definitely the weak link of the three IMO but it was still better than what you see in a lot of games.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

The player interaction in Tabula Rasa (aside from instances and questing together) came out of the periodic Bane raids. It was interesting to me to see a game with trenches and battle lines, where PVE became a dynamic experience. The tendency is for people to think the only interesting thing about an MMO is having a human opposite you that you fight to the death. If this same thought were applied to FPS games we'd never have gotten anything past the original Unreal Tournament.

I was actually thanked multiple times by players who appreciated that I was able to defend a point for them so that they could complete their quest. It was a completely different experience than playing in something like WoW, but few took the time to notice or care.

Do you honestly think that one little feature is enough to hold up an entire MMO though? The bane attacks were neat, but not special or interesting enough to keep people coming back.

It was basically like a survival/horde/whatever coop mode in an FPS game. If TR had this, as well as REAL PVP and raids, then it would have been a lot better. Or if they simply expanded upon it a great deal.

I think what most people disliked was the rest of the game (or lack thereof). Who cares if you hold control points if all they are good for is lowbies completing quests? Why not make them part of a larger scale, epic battle? Where your guild or several guilds have to raid a Bane super fortress or stop the invasion of an entire planet? The more CPs you held, the "easier" the epic battle would be. For example, to protect the planet from a large second wave invasion of Bane, you could capture certain anti-air bases that would shoot down some of the invading ships, lowering the number of forces on the ground. Supply bases could give you a health or damage boost. Stuff like that.

I'm all for an MMO that breaks the mold of instanced raiding and PVP, but only if it does it right. In a truly dynamic MMO world, defending control points should hold a larger purpose than simply unlocking some NPCs and quick travel locations. There needs to be massive multiplayer content, content that not only requires a high degree of coordination and social interaction, but rewards the player for completing it. I think there also needs to be competition between players. This doesn't have to be in the form of PVP, it could be something as simple as how WoW guilds race to complete content first. One of the biggest motivators in any online game is bragging rights. I don't think TR gave the player any of these things.

Hypernetic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »

AdventRisingCover400.jpg

*Awesome vid goes here*

A thousand times this!

I've posted it before too, but yeah, Advent Rising was great fun despite all the bugs. What's interesting to me is that they basically tried to copy the formula with Force Unleashed and ended up failing spectacularly.

I still believe in the Advent Trilogy. I'd love to see a sequel with a bit more dev time and a bit less hype. What the hell else is Majesco doing these days?

Skexis on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fatal3RR0R wrote: »

AdventRisingCover400.jpg

*Awesome vid goes here*

A thousand times this!

I've posted it before too, but yeah, Advent Rising was great fun despite all the bugs. What's interesting to me is that they basically tried to copy the formula with Force Unleashed and ended up failing spectacularly.

I still believe in the Advent Trilogy. I'd love to see a sequel with a bit more dev time and a bit less hype. What the hell else is Majesco doing these days?

Cooking Mama 6, some other casual games, etc.

The Advent Trilogy isn't happening, though. I mean, Donald Mustard is working on Shadow Complex now, Majesco has no interest... I'd love if he'd finish the story in a couple of books or some such, but unless one of us wins a high Powerball and finances it ourselves, it ain't happening. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Do you honestly think that one little feature is enough to hold up an entire MMO though? The bane attacks were neat, but not special or interesting enough to keep people coming back.

It wasn't. It was a big draw for me, but the gun mechanic, setting, and story all intrigued me as well. When I say it was a different experience, though, I mean the cumulative effect of those things. Playing as the humans, the last vestiges of our race, against a nefarious alien race, gave the whole game a feeling of desperation to me. As if everyone playing needed to do their part, or we would face mutual destruction.

It's the first game I've seen where social responsibility entered the conversation. So it was an interesting game to me, first and foremost.

But. Look. You're trying to convince me that TR would have been better if it was a different game. I'm just saying it was a good game to begin with, despite whatever preconceived notions players had upon playing it. I'm sure if the dev cycle on that game had been 10 years long they would have included everything your little heart desires, but it wasn't, so they didn't. And the game was fun despite that.

Another can of worms is what kind of PVP and other content would have surfaced if they'd gotten NCsoft's full support (or if players had been willing to give it a chance), but it's all moot at this point.

Skexis on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Here's my stock answer for whenever this thread comes up (which is always true)

COVERT ACTION by Sid Meier. The game that even its creator, Sid Meier, says is his worst game.

Basically you are a secret agent, out to prevent terrorism and to arrest criminal masterminds. You are given some scraps of clues, and let loose in the world. You can go to any known criminal hideout or cia base in any city, and do whatever you think is best - whether it's wiretapping, observing a base and following people who leave, or just breaking in to plant bugs, photograph evidence, or even arrest participants in the plot. You gather more and more evidence, and gradually see how it all fits together. You may hear about some bomb parts being bought, and also know that a certain criminal wired a lot of money, but you have to find the clue that links them before you can really seal the deal and be sure you've got the criminal nailed.

The biggest part of the game is the break ins. You select 3 pieces of equipment to take with you - from bugs, a camera, upgrading from your standard pistol to an uzi, various types of grenades, body armor, gas mask, safe-cracking kit, etc. You then bust in, and sneak around, avoiding guards, or just shooting them.

Basically it's a free-roaming sandbox combining stealth and puzzle (wiretapping is basically a simple puzzle game) elements. It is due for a remake more than any other game on the planet.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I loved Advent Rising too. I can't remember now, but was AR considered a bad game by most people or did it just have poor sales numbers? Advent Rising seems to come up a lot in these type of threads.

Anyone remember that million dollar contest thing they had, but then never gave anyone the money? lol.

Hypernetic on