As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burnout Paradise - Where we're going, we don't need roads.

• Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My word, the Toy 88 Special is a BEAST. 900 degree flatspin from the ski jump? Check. Increased hangtime from Hover Mode? Check. Able to withstand anything except a direct nuclear blast? CHECK. The P12 Diamond may have the looks, but the Toy 88 Special has the STYLE.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    So I've got Burnout Revenge right now. Should I play Burnout Paradise as well, or is it more of the same?

It's more Burnout, but it's completely different in scope. I'd recommend downloading the demo, but in all honesty it's a bad demo. Luckily, Burnout is one of the few games I can recommend a blind purchase to anyone.

Think of Paradise as a sort of vast new chapter for your Burnout library rather than an update or replacement of it. There are things the classic Burnouts have that Paradise doesn't, and tons of things Paradise does that the classics don't.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I noticed this too. The extra hang time is the most noticeable thing - at full boost off of a flattish jump, this thing will end up places it's not supposed to. Does the regular P88 do this? (I don't have it).

I've 100%ed the island, but the stats screen is showing I have 8/9 island cars. What gives?

EDIT: Ah, my best guess is that the P12 Diamond you mentioned is the 9th car; looks like it's considered to be an Island car but is only awarded once you have all 500 challenges in the game under your belt.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    I noticed this too. The extra hang time is the most noticeable thing - at full boost off of a flattish jump, this thing will end up places it's not supposed to. Does the regular P88 do this? (I don't have it).

I've 100%ed the island, but the stats screen is showing I have 8/9 island cars. What gives?

EDIT: Ah, my best guess is that the P12 Diamond you mentioned is the 9th car; looks like it's considered to be an Island car but is only awarded once you have all 500 challenges in the game under your belt.

I tried clearing the bridge jump with the standard 88, and it just crashed into the bridge every time, so if it does, it's a reduced effect due to it being normal size. The toy version seems to have just as strong a hover system as the standard version, but has more of an effect due to the car being smaller and lighter. At least, that's probably how Criterion explain it. :)

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    so whats the consensus on the new island? i got burned on some other burnout dlc...

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    so whats the consensus on the new island? i got burned on some other burnout dlc...

It's good. Don't know if it was worth $12.50, though.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sooooo... it turns out the Time Rule on Griffin Blvd is retarded. Had a best time of 2.18, only to see a friend with a 2.02. Pulled out the Annihilator Street Rod, and "Woah! A 1.79! That's so awesome I'll just reche- what the fuck?! Why does it still say 2.18?!". After doing a 1.68, 1.73, and 1.78, I eventually find out that it won't record any time of 2.00 or faster. Despite the fact that I did a legit 1.68. Awesome. *commences slow clapping*

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Soooo

anyone want to explain to me, well, anything outside of the standard race types? I love this game - absolutley love it and don't regret the purchase in any sense of the word - but I'm starting to crave a little more than race, marked man, takedown whatever and stunt run - and I can't figure out what else some of these things are.

I hopped online, into a 'ranked' thing, and just was totally lost. I finally found some other cars, and tried to ram into them and take them down, and they got mad because they were all trying to jump together or something and I ruined it apparently. I just logged out because I didn't have my headset and couldn't figure out the object.

I also have no idea what a "freeburn" challenge is. I understand the car specific challenges (and wish I could get the street my current car's challenge is on highlighted or something -- I can never find it), but am not too sure about what the freeburn challenge is.

I'm loving this, just curious about what else Im missing out on...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hop online to freeburn. The person running the game will choose what you guys do, and then you do it. It'll be either dicking around, posing in cool places, or actual races. There are challenges scaled to every number of online people, so 100%ing that part is a bit harder.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Big Surf Island had to come out now didn't it? I was going through Paradise again, preparing myself for BSI, and infamous and Prototype release. Oh well, maybe I'll manage to grab it in a sale or something later on.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This took me a while to figure out too, since it's none too obvious.

Freeburn mode is just roaming around the world in an open online game. You can join a freeburn game or start your own. If you go to join a game ("Custom match", which basically just means you are looking at the online listing yourself instead of doing "quick match" which auto-joins you), you will see the last type of activity that was being played in that game (I'm getting there).

Standard freeburn is boring. You can't really do anything but buzz around and do stunts. If you look in the upper right, there is a scoreboard of who has the best oncoming/flatspin/barrel/near miss/etc (you can move through the different items with dpad down). If you hit dpad up and go into road rules mode, where you can try to set best street times or best showtime scores, the scoreboard will change to show who has set best times and showtimes on the street you are on.

At his leisure, the host can start a real race, with checkpoints and all, at which point you will be warped to the start line. Or he can start a freeburn challenge, of which there are 500 now and have you do all sorts of stuff ("everyone do a barrel roll off the cliff" or "meet up at the fountain, and then you have 2 minutes to get 1000 yds of oncoming"). The challenges are fun, and if you beat them all (takes forever, good luck) you get achievements/unlocks/etc. OR, the host can start a freeburn game - road rage, cops/robbers (if you have it), or marked man. The rules are fairly well explained when the game starts - take down members of the other team or escape, depending on what your goal is.

Best thing to do is either:

1) start your own match, wait for a few people, then start hosting challenges. There are challenges for every possible number of players in a game (i.e. there are 2 player challenges, 3 player, all the way up to 8). More people will join because you will show up in the list as a Challenge server. Once you get more people, keep doing challenges or start hosting events, which are really the most fun with a full server of 8. EDIT: And kick people who are away from their controllers or being jerks.
    2) Do custom match and join a server doing challenges or road rage/marked man/cops and robbers.

EDIT: All this stuff, including player kick and hosting options, is available through the right-dpad menu. You naturally have a lot more options when hosting a game. Also, the menu's a little broken - you have a to wait a couple seconds after finishing or cancelling challenge/race/whatever before the option is available in the menu to start another one.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My usual behaviour is to start an online freeburn immediately, and then to cruise around looking for billboards and smashes, and setting road rules. That usually keeps me busy until someone pops in and then I start a challenge almost immediately.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea, I need to work on the higher count challenges, 4-8 player ones. I have my two and threes done.

Now that you need those done to unlock a car, it's even more important I can get those done.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does my world stay my world in freeburn? Like, if I come across a billboard I havent smashed, but YOU have, what do I see?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If you haven't smashed it, then it shows that and you can smash them and get the credit for doing so while online.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    What the fuck? I finally download 1.9 only to find out that Big Surf Island isn't on the god damn marketplace, what happened?

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Weird, it's not available on web marketplace, and my previous downloads say 'item not available.' Weird.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's probably related to the Live outage. I can't redownload the optional media update, that I delete and reinstall once in a while.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So what's the word on the PC version of this game? I download the 1.1 patch last night, is that the most recent one? Did they ever add text chat? Is anyone playing I could add to my friends list and hopefully get a game going?

Also I'm sure it's been talked to death, but I just got the store and the prices on the DLC seem pretty absurd. It's hard to justify $12.50 for a few cars when with a few clicks I can buy full games of Steam for less.

Drool on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, I downloaded the newest update (1.9 I think?) and I can't even get the game to start. It gives an error " $action_online_login_question_parent_email_resend " and then freezes at "connecting to servers". I've seen online that some people think it's related to parental controls, but I have never had those enabled on my XBox 360. Anyone know how to fix that?

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drool wrote: »
    So what's the word on the PC version of this game? I download the 1.1 patch last night, is that the most recent one? Did they ever add text chat? Is anyone playing I could add to my friends list and hopefully get a game going?

Also I'm sure it's been talked to death, but I just got the store and the prices on the DLC seem pretty absurd. It's hard to justify $12.50 for a few cars when with a few clicks I can buy full games of Steam for less.

Doesn't the 1.1 patch add all the extra cars that showed up after the PC release? The blurb gave me that impression.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Now that I'm about 3 races from being completely finished with the new island, I feel it was overprices by quite a bit...it just was a quick detour from the main game, and took no time at all to finish up. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Doesn't the 1.1 patch add all the extra cars that showed up after the PC release? The blurb gave me that impression.

It adds the ability to buy them which wasn't originally possible. Also it seems to have fixed a slight screen tearing problem I was having at super fast speeds which is nice.

Drool on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

It adds the ability to buy them which wasn't originally possible. Also it seems to have fixed a slight screen tearing problem I was having at super fast speeds which is nice.

oh, pity.

but the full game is 30 bucks on steam, anyway, that's still more than 12,50.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

It says on Criterion's website that there's no plans to add text chat to the PC version. I play it regularly on PC, so you can add me to your friends list. I'm Peewi in the game too.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man that sucks, listening to mouth breathers really kills the online. There's always some dude who comes in with his speakers blaring through his mic and I have to hurry and mute him before my ears bleed.

Oh well, I'll add you, my user name is MeanRedWorms. I need something faster paced to play when I don't feel like playing WoW, and I need to get back to working on my Elite license.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Now that I'm about 3 races from being completely finished with the new island, I feel it was overprices by quite a bit...it just was a quick detour from the main game, and took no time at all to finish up. :(

i cant disagree with this strenuously enough. the island is the only DLC thats been worth the money so far, but it is so worth it.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Why did they make the boost specials the most tacky terrible looking cars imaginable?

Drool on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Why did they make the boost specials the most tacky terrible looking cars imaginable?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I might have actually bought them if they went the extra mile and made a van with a wizard on it.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    it didnt help that they were stupidly expensive and a pointless gimmick, also.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    My favorite cars are the muscle cars that look simple and cool, the Annihilator and the GT Concept. But I have to drive the GT Flame with it's terrible flames because it handles so much better and is so much quicker than the Concept.

Drool on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

For some odd reason I absolutely love the Hawker Mechs look and it's switchable boost.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My favorite cars are the muscle cars that look simple and cool, the Annihilator and the GT Concept. But I have to drive the GT Flame with it's terrible flames because it handles so much better and is so much quicker than the Concept.

I'm partial to the Hawker. Orange/Black paintjob. I love the thing.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's too squirrelly for me. I oversteer almost every turn and end up spinning in circles too often when driving that car.

The GT Flame is like the perfect car as far as I'm concerned. It's got stunt boost, can drift for days and is pretty solid. I guess that's why everyone online drives one.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i really love the carbon x12 personally. i wish more of the carbon cars had stunt boost.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have a few favorites, but I can't ever remember what they are called like you guys can. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm missing a mega jump in the north beach part of big surf island, it's not the one on huntley and mcdonald and there's only 2 mega jumps in that part of the island, where might i find the other one?

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If anyone want to play some Burnout on PC, I'm hosting a game right now.

I just did a triple barrel roll and it was awesome.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yorker wrote: »
    I'm missing a mega jump in the north beach part of big surf island, it's not the one on huntley and mcdonald and there's only 2 mega jumps in that part of the island, where might i find the other one?

http://www.operationburnout.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4212&mode=threaded&pid=71891

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I noticed there is a lot fewer online games being hosted on the PC version of this game these days.

Not surpising really, but it was kind of nice because everyone in the games I joined was actually doing the freeburn challenges instead of just driving around aimlessly off by themselves. Maybe I'll get two sets of them done eventually and get the car.

Drool on