As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Limp [DOODLE]

• mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I used a picture of a greek sculpture for a ref on the torso. :( Not saying I don't think you are right, I'll try and find the pic again and double check my drawing.

Could you post the ref? Now I'm really curious.

Yeah, I'd like to see it too; in my experience, the Greeks and Romans simply didn't envision people of that stature. Frankly, no one did until the era of steroids.

mattharvest on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a feeling that what monarch means by 'ref' is that he used the Greek sculpture as a guideline for exaggeration.

Tam on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Not bandages, athletic wraps.

Althetic sip-otters.

Metalbourne on
  • Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    coolspot.jpg
    workisneverover.jpg

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    I have a feeling that what monarch means by 'ref' is that he used the Greek sculpture as a guideline for exaggeration.

I get that, but I would think that regardless, the ref would have correct origins/insertions of the muscles at the very least. It's perfectly possible, though, that the ref photo could prove to be confusing if you don't already know what you're looking for in terms of anatomy, and modifying it in a way that makes sense isn't going to be possible without being able to break that down correctly first.

If there's a big blown out area or a part deep in shadow, or obscured by some clothing, or whatever else could go wrong with a photo, seeing that in the ref would be useful in terms of, "ok, I know you're seeing X, but what's actually happening here is Y, so therefore you should probably be doing Z."

(I just hate giving out/getting "It's alllllllll rubbish do it again" crits, especially at something as confusing as anatomy.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • the_monarch23the_monarch23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

That is EXACTLY what I meant... I need to be more thorough in my responses on here. I got a feel for the shape of the muscles as they were on the statue and blew them way out of proportion on purpose. Now I'm seeing that didn't work as well as I wanted it to.

edit: Bacon, here is the ref
    7211c665d63aa5041b1eca62e213091a.jpg

Honestly I should have spent a lot more time on it, but I knew the final result wasn't going to be fantastic, but I NEED these crits you guys are giving me because I am very serious about improving my art. Thanks in advance and in hindsight for future and past help :)

the_monarch23 on
    "Gott in himmel! Fritz, vee haff named our car after ein lady-garten."
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited June 2009

I get that, but I would think that regardless, the ref would have correct origins/insertions of the muscles at the very least. It's perfectly possible, though, that the ref photo could prove to be confusing if you don't already know what you're looking for in terms of anatomy, and modifying it in a way that makes sense isn't going to be possible without being able to break that down correctly first.

If there's a big blown out area or a part deep in shadow, or obscured by some clothing, or whatever else could go wrong with a photo, seeing that in the ref would be useful in terms of, "ok, I know you're seeing X, but what's actually happening here is Y, so therefore you should probably be doing Z."

(I just hate giving out/getting "It's alllllllll rubbish do it again" crits, especially at something as confusing as anatomy.)

This is true. Given the time it takes one contest to conclude, I'd say you have a wide berth in which to really figure this one out and take a leap forward in anatomic understanding, monarch.

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    I really should. Tam, you and Bacon have shown me the light. I'm gonna turn this contest into my first foray into anatomical correctness. I don't have Life Drawing until next semester so this can be my head start.

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bacon is flashing a flashlight in your face

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited June 2009
    Oh GOD IT BURNS! Actually as much as I stare at computer screens, It probably wouldn't bother me. Such as right now, I am sitting in College Algebra, completely not paying attention to the teacher. I might wanna pay attention because I'm totally lost on asymptotes.

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd try and find a better photograph of that statue, if i were you

it's hard to make out the detail of the torso as is

Projeck on
    edited June 2009
    I'll probably go with a completely different ref.

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
    edited June 2009

Ah yep, I had sort of suspected from what you'd drawn that the shoulder girdle area would be blown out in the ref, and I was right. What you ended up doing was taking the border going from the top of the clavicle going into the deltoid as one thing, and puffed it out in order to try and exaggerate it. But then, you knew there had do be some sort of deltoid in there somewhere, and ended up getting confused as to how the pec and the delt were to be placed.

Traced over the ref show what it's not showing you:
    monarch_thor_1.jpg

So yeah, you should probably use a bunch of refs from a bunch of different sources rather than just one, especially if you're changing the pose/physique pretty significantly.

Spent a lonnnnnng time trying to draw over this and have it look good, was a good reminder of why I usually don't crit anatomy, because honestly I'm not all that great at it either. Had to pull out a bunch of books and bodybuilder refs and I'm sure it's probably still kinda fucked up (forearm muscles are shiiiiit, ignore them).

Anyways.

Biggest problem I'm seeing with the torso other than the aforementioned pec insertion/deltoid issue, is that your rib cage is appearing very wide, even accounting for the very beefy serratus muscles. I think what happened here is that you knew dudes' torsos can look megajacked-huge with their arms up like that, but not so much why. It's not that the serratus muscles are flexing and making it look huge, it's that the latissimus muscles, which run from the lower region of the back to the front of the humerus, are being drawn up from the back onto the side of the body when the arm is raised, while at the same time the bottom of the scapula (and all the muscles running from the scapula to the humerus) is swinging outwards, adding a bulk to the torso that usually isn't there.

Note that the insertion of the lats runs between the triceps and biceps, not go behind them.
    Orig:
    originalgod.jpg
    Drawover:
    monarch_thor_2.jpg
    (argh should have separated the scapular bits from the lats, right now it's just running all together. :? Hopefully an ok starting point anyways.)

Then along the left contour of the body, you've got the ribcage line, the oblique line, and the pelvic ridge. Now, in your drawing, you do have some indications of these things- all the lines are there- but without connecting the lines into the forms of the muscles, it just ends up looking random. You've got the lat line going over the ribcage line, rather than wrapping behind it; you've got a ribcage line that isn't connecting in an obvious way across the torso up to the bottom of the sternum; and you allow your oblique to run in and create a form with the one of the lower abdominal muscles, rather than segregating them into two distinct forms.

You could definitely bulk this dude up more than I have here, if you want to go from freaky bodybuilder territory into Blizzard art direction territory if you want, as long as you're getting the relative proportions of the muscle sizes, the skeletal structure and the origins/insertions correct.

Hopefully that's of some help (and hopefully I didn't just balls this whole thing up by getting something horribly wrong).

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited June 2009
    also a easy tip to remembering arms is usually thinking of the muscle being like a 2 piece connected chain

chain.jpg

bewp

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited June 2009

What?

What muscle are you even talking about? I seriously do not understand your analogy.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it supposedly easy to draw women who's faces have been plastic surgeon modified? Its like they take out there impurities and mold it to a more well balanced and proportionate face. They stylized the face to proportion by taking away a persons large nose, droopy eyes, thin lips, uneven ears, and take away facial blemishes or anomalies (moles). They mold a face into what we find attractive in society to where they are just clay faced dolls.

Eyes looking at you Megan Fox, you bitch-whore-slut.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
    edited June 2009
    Maybe if you're Wakkawa.

For me it's always easier to draw people that are fucked up.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited June 2009
    Maybe if you're Wakkawa.

For me it's always easier to draw people that are fucked up.

Drunk people? Or fubar faces?

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    edited June 2009
    Shitfaced ogres are my forte.
    Shitfaced Ogres is a good name for a metal band

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited June 2009

What?

What muscle are you even talking about? I seriously do not understand your analogy.

oh, hur thats just how I remember it when I do arms, because the first chain is all out to in and then the middle chain is side to side and then the last chain is aiming out to in againnn

musclez.jpg

you sure are good at remembering names

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited June 2009
    Shitfaced ogres are my forte.
    Shitfaced Ogres is a good name for a metal band

Anything referring to the lower intestines is a good metal band.

Stink hole
    Portal of Shit
    Shocker
    Anal Gerbils
    Colon and the Dingleberry's

Shiekahn_boy on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Trying to bust these out fast. one a day.

ibe1qu.jpg

mauxzc.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like this comp WCK, reminds me of the fifth element.

Mustang on
  • GurtPerkGurtPerk Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    portraitmegcopy02resized.jpg

Spent a couple hours working this up. Zhang Lu's tutorial really clicked for me. I had a lot of fun making this.
    Based off a picture of Megan Fox of Transformer fame.

GurtPerk on
    edited June 2009
    nice

some ballpoint
    2lxjf39.jpg

Tam on
    edited June 2009
    GurtPerk wrote: »
    portraitmegcopy02resized.jpg

Spent a couple hours working this up. Zhang Lu's tutorial really clicked for me. I had a lot of fun making this.
    Based off a picture of Megan Fox of Transformer fame.

the nose feels like its curving and is a dangling sausage, but thats really really nice

Loomdun on
    splat
  • TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Self portrait I've been working on today. I go through this thing where for a few moments I love the painting Im working on, and then for most of the time completely hate it. I dont know how I feel about this one. it is the best likeness I've done yet, but still not happy with it.

selfp.th.jpg

oil on canvas, 18"x24"

Sorry about the crappy iphone camera, I'll see if I can find my digital camera.

TheMorningStar on
    edited June 2009

Ah yep, I had sort of suspected from what you'd drawn that the shoulder girdle area would be blown out in the ref, and I was right. What you ended up doing was taking the border going from the top of the clavicle going into the deltoid as one thing, and puffed it out in order to try and exaggerate it. But then, you knew there had do be some sort of deltoid in there somewhere, and ended up getting confused as to how the pec and the delt were to be placed.

Traced over the ref show what it's not showing you:
    monarch_thor_1.jpg

So yeah, you should probably use a bunch of refs from a bunch of different sources rather than just one, especially if you're changing the pose/physique pretty significantly.

Spent a lonnnnnng time trying to draw over this and have it look good, was a good reminder of why I usually don't crit anatomy, because honestly I'm not all that great at it either. Had to pull out a bunch of books and bodybuilder refs and I'm sure it's probably still kinda fucked up (forearm muscles are shiiiiit, ignore them).

Anyways.

Biggest problem I'm seeing with the torso other than the aforementioned pec insertion/deltoid issue, is that your rib cage is appearing very wide, even accounting for the very beefy serratus muscles. I think what happened here is that you knew dudes' torsos can look megajacked-huge with their arms up like that, but not so much why. It's not that the serratus muscles are flexing and making it look huge, it's that the latissimus muscles, which run from the lower region of the back to the front of the humerus, are being drawn up from the back onto the side of the body when the arm is raised, while at the same time the bottom of the scapula (and all the muscles running from the scapula to the humerus) is swinging outwards, adding a bulk to the torso that usually isn't there.

Note that the insertion of the lats runs between the triceps and biceps, not go behind them.
    Orig:
    originalgod.jpg
    Drawover:
    monarch_thor_2.jpg
    (argh should have separated the scapular bits from the lats, right now it's just running all together. :? Hopefully an ok starting point anyways.)

Then along the left contour of the body, you've got the ribcage line, the oblique line, and the pelvic ridge. Now, in your drawing, you do have some indications of these things- all the lines are there- but without connecting the lines into the forms of the muscles, it just ends up looking random. You've got the lat line going over the ribcage line, rather than wrapping behind it; you've got a ribcage line that isn't connecting in an obvious way across the torso up to the bottom of the sternum; and you allow your oblique to run in and create a form with the one of the lower abdominal muscles, rather than segregating them into two distinct forms.

You could definitely bulk this dude up more than I have here, if you want to go from freaky bodybuilder territory into Blizzard art direction territory if you want, as long as you're getting the relative proportions of the muscle sizes, the skeletal structure and the origins/insertions correct.

Hopefully that's of some help (and hopefully I didn't just balls this whole thing up by getting something horribly wrong).

That is ridiculously helpful. Thank You, Bacon. I'm starting over completely and hopefully will have something to post tonight.

the_monarch23 on
    ~Jeremy Clarkson
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Im digging those faces Tam. Goatman is awesome.

A teaser image for the Facebook game Ive been working on has been released. I present...

HOWITZER SNAIL!!

mm_mainlayout1.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck McGibs, you may have finally given me a compelling reason to join facebook...

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    bacon fucking rules at crits.

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited June 2009
    That is ridiculously helpful. Thank You, Bacon. I'm starting over completely and hopefully will have something to post tonight.
    bacon fucking rules at crits.

:D
    Glad I could help. :^:

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tam, I love your faces.

Monarch: Augh, sorry I couldn't get back to you and elaborate, I was in NYC all of yesterday. Looks like Bacon covered things, though!

NightDragon on
    edited June 2009
    it is true, bacon is super duper wise in the ways of cheesey old movies and critique-ing art

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited June 2009
    I love your faces!

That's right. I said it.

Tam on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuckin 'ell Gibs, that is ridiculously cool.

Mustang on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I know the perspective is all screwed up, but my aim was to get the concept down, and not to worry too much of the accuracy.

4hukcg.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    HOLY SHIT WCK!

I WAZ making fliers for a Zombie Day on Aug 1st, but now since Michael Jacksons dead, it kinda ruins what I had in mind, and everyone will prolly dress up as zombiez and do thriller instead.

zd.jpg

zday.jpg

zombies.jpg

Also did a super quick 20 mins vector of MJ's Feet. Nothing Fancy. Just making a devianation on deviantart telling people to moonwalk everywhere they go, and giving them a link to instructions on how to moonwalk. I'm asking they just copy paste it on there deviantart pages. I don't care about credit cause Its basically a fancy trace over.

feet.jpg

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I havnt had much time to draw recently due to job interviews and such grrr. Anyway here is a 1 hour speedpaint of some mountains and a lake that I drew from my head.
    Was done from my head, no references. I was testing colours and brushes as I went.

mountains_1_hour_speedpaint_by_Leggraphics.jpg

Also- Cheer up Winter mate. Michael Jacksons music will live within you.

Leggraphics on
  • Lia ParkerLia Parker __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    These are really some cool things that I have ever seen!
    Go on people.

Lia Parker on
This discussion has been closed.